Upcoming interview with Social Security

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
marathonwmn

Upcoming interview with Social Security

Post by marathonwmn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:33 am

Hello,

I have an appointment for a phone interview with Social Security to apply for benefits on my own account (currently receiving spousal for which I applied after reaching full retirement age).

I turn 70 in mid-December and the question is: in order to get the MAXIMUM benefit should I ask that my first payment come in December or January?

Any pearls of wisdom you can share to prepare for the interview?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
The race goes not to the swift, but to those who keep on running. . .

mhalley

Re: Upcoming interview with Social Security

Post by mhalley » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:56 pm

Say something like
. "I'm filing for my retirement benefit to begin on my 70th birthday and not a day sooner. "

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:14 pm

I turned 70 in September. I applied online for my payments to start with September eligibility and used the phrase "maximum delayed retirement credits" (not the acronym) twice in the application. It appears to have worked. My first SS payment is set to hit my checking account next week and the amount cited in the SS determination letter matches the estimate shown on the SSA website.

I would say that your first payment -- for December -- will come in January (based on your birthday, not your spouse's).

marathonwmn

Post by marathonwmn » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:01 am

Thank you for your replies. I just received a call from SS confirming my phone appointment.

I can't wait to get this over with!!!
The race goes not to the swift, but to those who keep on running. . .