your favorite ereader?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
albireo13

your favorite ereader?

Post by albireo13 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:25 am

I like to download books to read. I had been using an older 7" fire but the resolution and speed aren't great.

I've tried larger tablets but ... I find they are too uncomfortable for reading.
Sticking with a smaller tablet is great for reading but, not for web surfacing or email.

I am considering a Kindle Paperwhite.

What do other folks like??

Iorek

Re: your favorite ereader?

Post by Iorek » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:26 am

Kindle paperwhite. One with ads is fine.

learningstill

Post by learningstill » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:34 am

I also like the Kindle Paperwhite. Nice and light, holds its' charge for a long time and with the backlighting it works well when in the dark. It works especially well for me when traveling. I have not tried any others.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:37 am

Kindle Paperwhite.

The fact that email and web browsing suck on it (to the point of being essentially unusable) is bonus, not a drawback. I have 15 other devices I can check mail with.

targ

Post by targ » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:41 am

Best ever was a jailbroken Nook Glow running the Kindle app. Best of both worlds - superior nook hardware with superior Kindle experience.

Nook Glow was better because it had physical buttons (in addition to screen touch) to turn pages. Very handy on the beach when the (touch-only) Kindle Paperwhite becomes useless because wet hands can't turn pages.

Kindle Paperwhite reading experience is great - the screen is just awesome.

Anyway, I'd go with the Kindle Paperwhite if I were buying something new today.
The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ

JEC

Post by JEC » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:29 am

Another vote for the Kindle Paperwhite.

AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:45 am

I have a Kindle Paperwhite which I like very much. It is not too heavy and it is easy on the wrists and the eyes.

There is a book lender app called Hoopla which runs on ios or android tho it might run on amazon fire models. You might want to check what methods your library uses to loan ereader material before you purchase.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:55 am

My wife has a Kindle Paperwhite, smallish, has a backlight. She loves it. Whenever I look at it I feel envious because the screen looks so print-like and restful on the eyes, and is readable in bright light. She reads it a lot, and she only needs to charge it about once a week.

I'm using a Samsung tablet with the Amazon Kindle application, and it is, eh, OK; I can't justify buying a separate device just for reading, but it's not as good. And of course it needs to be charged daily.

I used to have a Kindle Fire and I disliked it. It was a tablet, but it wasn't a good tablet, and I suffered from its being off-brand Android and not being able to use the real Google Play store. And it was clear that too many app developers were happy enough to put their apps in the Amazon app store without bother to SQA them for glitches under Amazon's mutated Android. Also, Amazon never pushed out any Android updates, the version I had when I bought it was the same version I had three years later when I gave it away. It had all the minor issues of a shiny screen, not quite bright enough in daylight, battery life not quite long enough. The only comment I'll make is that I got the version with advertising, figuring that one day I'd treat myself to spending the $20 to have it removed... and oh boy is Bezos good at his Faustian bargains. The "special offers" were not only not intrusive, they were actually interesting enough that I realize I liked having them. So, yeah, unless you are really allergic to advertising, I'd go for the reduced price "with special offers" and see how you feel about it--you can, as I say, pay later to have them removed.

I was an early adopter of eBooks. I bought a "Rocket eBook" from Nuvomedia in 2000... later renamed the RCA REB 1100. And I got cheated when Gemstar first "changed the rules" and quit allowing users to put their own content on the device, and then later when they decided not to be in the eBook business, and shut down their servers, leaving me with $150 worth of encrypted, DRMed eBooks that could not ever be read on any other device. (NOt even another identical device, as the encryption is keyed to a hardware serial number in the device). When the NiCad battery in the device failed, I basically lost all the books I'd bought. I'm not strong-willed enough to say "no DRM," but I will say this: I do think it is a mistake to buy into an eBook ecosystem that doesn't have a long life expectancy ahead of it.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:57 am

I have had a Kindle Keyboard for over 8 years now. This Kindle is so rugged that it may never die. When it does, I'll likely purchase a Kindle Paperwhite like the one I got for my wife.

I never thought I'd like an ereader. I've always loved reading and liked books in general. But I haven't purchased a physical book in a long time (other than technical or professional books).

I got most of my reading from the Boston Public Library. They have an extensive collection of ebooks. And anything they don't yet have can be "recommended" for purchase. When they do get to purchasing the ebook, your recommendation automatically puts it on hold for you. I don't live in Boston, but if you live in Massachusetts you can sign up for a BPL account and check out ebooks.

I also use the Send To Kindle app in my browser. It's a nice way to save longer articles for reading later.

I used to buy books and go to the library all the time. Now I carry 100 or so ebooks with me everywhere I go.

cathyr

Post by cathyr » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:07 am

Like many others, I also love the Kindle Paperwhite - you can't beat it for battery life! However, I also have an iPad mini that I use to read content from Hoopla and One Click Digital (they don't have a kindle app). The mini is also good in terms of form factor, but battery life is much worse - I usuually need to recharge every couple of days, as compared to several weeks for the kindle. The mini is comfortable to read with, as long as you're indoors - not so great in direct sunlight.

Good luck!

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:09 am

Iorek wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:26 am
Kindle paperwhite. One with ads is fine.
+1
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:13 am

I have very tired and picky eyes from too many hours in front of LCD screens.

Kindle Paperwhite in my estimation can be superior to actual paper due to ease of reading in low light areas like airplanes, bad hotel rooms and the bathroom :-)

I only use my iPad in a pinch and don't like the contrast/severity of reading that for long periods of time.

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:28 am

Kindle Paperwhite. I read a ridiculous amount and I adore my paperwhite.

As an aside, my mom has very advanced macular degeneration and can still read her paperwhite on the highest font size, it is the only way she can read. The paperwhite has allowed her to continue to enjoy books, so I have a big soft spot for the technology as well.

straws46

Post by straws46 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:47 am

You might compare the Kindle Voyage to the Paperwhite before you decide.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:49 am

targ wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:41 am
Best ever was a jailbroken Nook Glow running the Kindle app. Best of both worlds - superior nook hardware with superior Kindle experience.

Nook Glow was better because it had physical buttons (in addition to screen touch) to turn pages. Very handy on the beach when the (touch-only) Kindle Paperwhite becomes useless because wet hands can't turn pages.

Kindle Paperwhite reading experience is great - the screen is just awesome.

Anyway, I'd go with the Kindle Paperwhite if I were buying something new today.
If the Glow was so much better because of the physical page turn buttons, why not recommend one of the two models (Voyage and Oasis) that have physical page turn buttons in addition to the touchscreen?

I love my (first gen) Oasis, though I don't get the opportunity to read as often as I'd like. Lots of audiobooks while walking the dog though.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:50 am

I’ve tried them all. It used to be my job to try them. Best combination of price and performance is Kindle Paperwhite. Best regardless of cost is Kindle Oasis. Much better screen, and buttons that can be used on either side.

Now that I pay for them myself, I have a paperwhite.

targ

Post by targ » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:56 am

lazydavid wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:49 am

If the Glow was so much better because of the physical page turn buttons, why not recommend one of the two models (Voyage and Oasis) that have physical page turn buttons in addition to the touchscreen?

I love my (first gen) Oasis, though I don't get the opportunity to read as often as I'd like. Lots of audiobooks while walking the dog though.
Honestly, I've been out of the ereader scene so long now that I was unaware of those. I'd pass on the Oasis because its asymmetry would annoy the heck out of me. The Voyage though looks pretty good. But wow, that's a big price delta just to get real buttons.

O - and one other reason the jailbroken glow was better was because you could have it show the current book's cover art when "off." So in a household with two identical devices, you could tell which was which without having to turn it on only to discover you'd picked up the wrong one. It was also possible to actually turn the screen "off" (ie, screen totally blank).

My current PW is also jailbroken, but it still can't show the current book's cover art when "off." Nor can it show a completely blank screen when "off".

*And yes, I know e-ink does not draw power except when turning pages. Hence the quotes around "off."
The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ

Iorek

Post by Iorek » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:05 pm

New paperwhite coming in November that is waterproof (also some other improvements)

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:13 pm

I read on my phone. I use the Libby app for library books and kindle app for others. I use the RB digital app for library magazines, like the economist. I minimize personal electronic devices to avoid having to own lots of devices that need upgrading / disposal every four years or so.

I had a paperwhite, but sold it. I find the phone to be equivalent, no battery issues and adjustable brightness.
Last edited by Cycle on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:15 pm

Yet another vote for the Kindle Paperwhite. I'd get one of the new waterproof ones. They are not out yet, but available for pre-order.

A lot of libraries let you check books out to your Kindle. You can do this at home on the Internet, and there is nothing to return to the library--the book just expires on your Kindle.

I found it worth the money to turn off "special offers." But you can buy it with "special offers", and see how annoying you find these--you can always pay to have them removed later. (Conversely, if you get it without special offers, you can turn it on and receive a credit.)

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:17 pm

retiringwhen wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:13 am

Kindle Paperwhite in my estimation can be superior to actual paper due to ease of reading in low light areas like airplanes, bad hotel rooms and the bathroom :-)

Even in good light, I much prefer my Kindle Paperwhite to reading a real paper book (except only in the case of books where there area lot of pictures and diagrams.)

delamer

Post by delamer » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:32 pm

I use the Kindle and cloudLibrary apps on my iPad Air for ebooks. Plenty of ability to adjust font, lighting, etc.

But I use the iPad 80% of the time when I am doing anything electronic, so it just makes no sense for me to have a separate device.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:37 pm

straws46 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:47 am
You might compare the Kindle Voyage to the Paperwhite before you decide.
Voyage is no longer being sold.

On the other hand, Amazon just released a new generation of Paperwhite. Waterproof now. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CXG6C9W

Almost makes me wish my Kindle Keyboard would kick the bucket.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:37 pm

I have a Kindle Paperwhite but hate it. I like my old Samsung tablet 7" with Kindle app. It's just too easy to set off various unwanted functions in the Kindle..way over-featured now.

Plus with the tablet you get a full color browser, so you can go look up things from the book. Like I was reading about various surf beaches in Barbarian Days, got curious and watched the waves at a few of them on you tube. :happy

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:00 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:57 am
I have had a Kindle Keyboard for over 8 years now. This Kindle is so rugged that it may never die. When it does, I'll likely purchase a Kindle Paperwhite like the one I got for my wife.
I still use one of those too. It is great because of the buttons on the side to turn the pages. I also picked up a Kindle Fire when it was on sale one time and I hate turning pages without the buttons. The last time I looked the models with buttons on the side now were pretty expensive.

wesgreen

Post by wesgreen » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:06 pm

My phone, with the free FBreader Android app. I set the background to black and the text to green.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:16 pm

Cycle wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:13 pm
I read on my phone. I use the Libby app for library books and kindle app for others. I use the RB digital app for library magazines, like the economist. I minimize personal electronic devices to avoid having to own lots of devices that need upgrading / disposal every four years or so.

I had a paperwhite, but sold it. I find the phone to be equivalent, no battery issues and adjustable brightness.
We do library borrowing almost exclusively. The Libby app is head and shoulders above the kindle apps or kindle fire or similar,or the Overdrive app. It's clean, its intuitive, it accepts multiple libraries and multiple library cards. It works on tablets, phones and laptops.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:47 pm

targ wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:56 am
I'd pass on the Oasis because its asymmetry would annoy the heck out of me.
The asymmetry is actually a plus. It’s kind of a handle. Hook your fingers under the lip to hold it, then push the buttons with your thumb. If you want to hold it in the other hand, just flip it upside down.

Too expensive, but if money were no object...

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:02 pm

I loved the paper white but upgraded to the oasis and like it even more. Love the larger size. I didn’t like the form factor at first, but got used to it.