Can a Person Under 21 Rent a Hotel Room?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Kennedy

Can a Person Under 21 Rent a Hotel Room?

Post by Kennedy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:27 pm

I have a 19 year old who will be out of town and needs to stay one night in a hotel. I am looking at a property associated with a national brand, and I don't see anything about the minimum age required.

The website does allow me to input a second guest's name. I'm wondering if I can rent the room in my name and put my child's name as the second guest so they can check-in without me present. (I do not live near the town, so I won't be showing up at all...) Not sure how the credit card situation will be handled since I'm always asked for my card when I check into a hotel, even if I have inputted the number when making the reservation.

I don't want to call the hotel and ask them (unless I have to) because I don't want to create an issue where there might not be one.

There will be no question about the child trashing the room or throwing a party. They just need a place to stay the night.

Any experience as to if this can be done?
Last edited by Kennedy on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Re: Can a Person Under 21 Rent a Hotel Room?

Post by livesoft » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:32 pm

Sure, otherwise many military personnel would have a difficult time.

A 19-year-old is a young adult; not a minor; not a child. He should ask his friends what their experiences have been. It should be interesting to find out.

I'll toss out a data point: My 18-year-old daughter went to visit colleges on her own. Flew by herself, had hotel rooms by herself, took public transportation by herself, ....
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Post by 123 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:40 pm

Of course you know the best thing is to call the hotel's local number and ask/resolve all issues. If you don't want to "show your cards" you can call an alternate hotel in the same chain in the same area and ask your questions.

Normally they're going to require that the credit card be presented when the person who made the reservation checks in. Yes a secondary guest can check-in first, I presume without showing the card. I think most hotels just follow an age 18 rule since in most states you have to be age 18 to have a credit card so if the reservation is made with a credit card they know someone age 18 should be in the room.

The problem arises that if you're not there (you yourself never check-in) they may question the use of the credit card. Also if you're not there but you are trying to get hotel points for the reservation that could be a problem for them.

It's simpliest if the 19 year old carries their own card and makes their own reservation but maybe they don't have one.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:45 pm

If it isn't on the website (often it is), call the hotel without giving your name and ask what their policy is. Alternatively, explore a different hotel or even consider an AirB&B.

ram

Post by ram » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:51 pm

My children have done this since age 18. They had their CC at that age. If the young adult does not have one I would recommend he carry cash for the rent, taxes etc and an additional $50.

Last year I booked a hotel room at one of the Hilton hotels on my points, added my daughter as the second person and she stayed without me present without any problem.
Ram

MP123

Post by MP123 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:59 pm

Often they'll want to swipe a card at check-in but booking in your name with them on the reservation may work if they don't have their own card.

Don't be shy about calling and asking though, it's the hospitality business after all.

ladders11

Post by ladders11 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:59 pm

I don't think there's any "minimum age" but they always ask for a credit card and put a hold on that card for "incidentals"

Even completely prepaid reservations ask for the credit card, so I would call to confirm what they do if you don't have one

jgt808

Post by jgt808 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:24 am

I just returned from Vegas and the guy in front of me couldn't rent a room with his cc cuz he was under 21. I heard the front desk lady say he could pay cash, but he would also have to pay cash for the $100 damage deposit or else his friend who was over 21 could book it under his name. Of course that fellow didn't have a cc with him. So, yes, best to call.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:55 am

If the CC is a problem, most hotels have a form you can fill out and fax back in advance to have his stay billed to your card.

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:26 am

Hilton website say 18 years or older. Marriott's website says there's no standard age and to call hotel directly. Etc. Best to call.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:09 am

8foot7 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:55 am
If the CC is a problem, most hotels have a form you can fill out and fax back in advance to have his stay billed to your card.
Right.

We have done this in the past, including as a gift.
The Guest did have to show ID, reasonably enough (for us as well as the hotel).

But we had to be responsible IF there had been any damage, etc.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:48 am

Even if the chain has a policy saying 18 years, any specific hotel might have a more restrictive policy. Best to check the hotel you plan to use.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:15 pm

Under 18 can be a real problem. But at age 19 you are probably fine.

For example, our daughter who was still 17 at the time was in route to college orientation in Arkansas via Texas and my wife was flying out to meet her at DFW and they were going to proceed together by car to Arkansas. Specifically my daughter was spending the early part of the summer at a youth camp thing in Texas and was picking my wife up at DFW with her car and they were going to drive together to Arkansas. Due to thunderstorms, my wife's flight was diverted to Denver and she couldn't get into DFW until the next morning. They had a pre-paid hotel reservation near DFW at one of the national chains and it turned out to be a tremendous hassle to get my daughter checked into the hotel for the night at age 17 without my wife there. I spent a lot of time on the phone with the hotel getting seriously pissed off until they finally allowed my daughter to check in and stay the night in a pre-paid hotel room without my wife.

Note: This was in late June. My daughter turned 18 in July so she was only 2 weeks from her 18th birthday and it didn't make any difference at all. They find out when you give them your drivers license at the check in and the computer rejects it due to birth date. The clerk couldn't actually make it work and it took some kind of upper manager to bypass the computer system to allow her to stay.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:53 pm

Many years ago, several years out of college (mod 20's) - two of us (2 guys) took a summer trip to Cape Cod - did not make hotel/motel reservations ahead of time. We had a very, very difficult time finding a place to stay in the Hyannis area. Places were not full - but, for some reason, places kept turning us away.

Teague

Post by Teague » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:00 pm

Sure. Otherwise "get a room!" might never be uttered.
Semper Augustus

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:06 pm

In places like beach towns you often have to be 25 rent some of the hotels I have stayed at, but that was clearly stated when you made the reservation.

You really need to call and ask.