U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 6411
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by willthrill81 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:46 am

Looks like today may staunch the bloodflow. But with the volatility of the last few days, it's anybody's guess where the market will end today.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

User avatar
GoldStar
Posts: 611
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:59 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by GoldStar » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:14 am

NASDAQ up over 2%; Other indexes up over 1%.

Market will be back in soaring territory soon :)

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 14236
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:07 am

GoldStar wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:14 am
NASDAQ up over 2%; Other indexes up over 1%.

Market will be back in soaring territory soon :)
S&P 500 index is up 1.38% so far today.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

McGilicutty
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:24 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by McGilicutty » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:51 am

S&P 500 up 1.6% so far today. US STOCKS CONTINUE TO SOAR!

rudeboy
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:21 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by rudeboy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:16 pm

McGilicutty wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:51 am
S&P 500 up 1.6% so far today. US STOCKS CONTINUE TO SOAR!
They've almost soared halfway back to where they were 5 days ago...

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 4077
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:55 pm

Nasdaq is up over 2% - other indexes closing in on 2% - we are back in business folks.

MJW
Posts: 641
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by MJW » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:25 pm

Smooth sailing and sunny days ahead. BUY EVERYTHING!

2015
Posts: 2150
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by 2015 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:07 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:55 pm
Nasdaq is up over 2% - other indexes closing in on 2% - we are back in business folks.
Thank me later. I'm certain the only reason the market is back is because I was about to head over to Ross Stocks For Less and drop some cash while stocks were on sale. Now that the sale is apparently over, I'll have to get them at department store prices.

WhiteMaxima
Posts: 1487
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:12 pm

market up and down sometimes for no reason. So do nothing and stay in course.

User avatar
IcedDog
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:55 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by IcedDog » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:33 pm

Well HELLO earnings season! :moneybag

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 6411
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by willthrill81 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:47 pm

Was today the largest one day percentage gain of the year? If not, it's got to be way up there.
Last edited by willthrill81 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

User avatar
IcedDog
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:55 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by IcedDog » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:47 pm

According to Reuters, "Wall Street's three major indexes tallied their biggest one-day percentage gains since March. The small-cap Russell 2000 recorded its biggest single-session gain in nearly two years."

So it wasn't the largest for the Dow, S&P, and Nasdaq, but it definitely was for small-cap!

User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by watchnerd » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:10 pm

So bummed at these gains
Tax Sheltered: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 30% TTM || Taxable: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 15% TTM | 15% Munis

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 6411
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by willthrill81 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:21 pm

IcedDog wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:47 pm
According to Reuters, "Wall Street's three major indexes tallied their biggest one-day percentage gains since March. The small-cap Russell 2000 recorded its biggest single-session gain in nearly two years."

So it wasn't the largest for the Dow, S&P, and Nasdaq, but it definitely was for small-cap!
Thanks! My mid-cap growth fund was up around 2.7% today. It sure felt like the biggest day of the year.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 4304
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by whodidntante » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:55 pm

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

User avatar
aj76er
Posts: 603
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:34 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by aj76er » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:02 am

whodidntante wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:55 pm
What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
What do you mean, an African or a European swallow?
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle

A440
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:46 am
Location: NJ

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by A440 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:54 am

"Uh..I don't know that"

User avatar
oldzey
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:38 pm
Location: Land of Lincoln

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by oldzey » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:58 am

"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

User avatar
AnalogKid22
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 8:26 pm
Location: Babylon, but I'd love to spend a night in Zion

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by AnalogKid22 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:32 am

watchnerd wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:10 pm
So bummed at these gains
Almost half of which have been erased today.
A fool and his money are very easily parted - Anonymous

User avatar
nedsaid
Posts: 10644
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by nedsaid » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:06 am

AnalogKid22 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:32 am
watchnerd wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:10 pm
So bummed at these gains
Almost half of which have been erased today.
Darn it, this thread has jinxed the market! :wink:
A fool and his money are good for business.

User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by watchnerd » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:09 am

nedsaid wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:06 am
AnalogKid22 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:32 am
watchnerd wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:10 pm
So bummed at these gains
Almost half of which have been erased today.
Darn it, this thread has jinxed the market! :wink:
Feeling better!
Tax Sheltered: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 30% TTM || Taxable: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 15% TTM | 15% Munis

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 4077
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:59 pm

AnalogKid22 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:32 am
watchnerd wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:10 pm
So bummed at these gains
Almost half of which have been erased today.
Not at days end. Pretty level day - minimal loss.

hdas
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:24 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by hdas » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:46 am

Some quick notes:

> Now, with the benefit of hindsight we can appreciate that this thread was on of the most significant things to come out of this forum.
> Starting to see nascent signs of distress in the forum.
> Healthy bounce so far this morning. But not real "wash out" yet.
> Remarkable how VIX has been relatively contained, this is not bullish.
> Some tactical allocations will turn bearish on US stocks by the end of October. And the 12 - 10 month momentum models will turn bearish as well soon unless market recovers a big chunk. In that case the only thing with upward momentum will be commodities.
> My base case scenario is a more protracted draw-down, not too deep, just longer in duration
> We have a calendar "event" on November 6th. Fireworks await. Big players have all their "if_then" strategies ready.
> November and December are good months for stock market. One potential scenario is to recover ~ 1/2 of the draw-down by Xmas week.

Be careful out there. :greedy
Stay the course and buy some more.

User avatar
roymeo
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: Oakland, CA
Contact:

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by roymeo » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:54 am

One potential scenario is to recover ~3/4 of the draw-down by Xmas week.
One potential scenario is to recover ~1/2 of the draw-down by MLKJr. week.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 14236
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by ruralavalon » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:10 am

hdas wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:46 am
Some quick notes:

> Now, with the benefit of hindsight we can appreciate that this thread was on of the most significant things to come out of this forum.
> Starting to see nascent signs of distress in the forum.
> Healthy bounce so far this morning. But not real "wash out" yet.
> Remarkable how VIX has been relatively contained, this is not bullish.
> Some tactical allocations will turn bearish on US stocks by the end of October. And the 12 - 10 month momentum models will turn bearish as well soon unless market recovers a big chunk. In that case the only thing with upward momentum will be commodities.
> My base case scenario is a more protracted draw-down, not too deep, just longer in duration
> We have a calendar "event" on November 6th. Fireworks await. Big players have all their "if_then" strategies ready.
> November and December are good months for stock market. One potential scenario is to recover ~ 1/2 of the draw-down by Xmas week.

Be careful out there. :greedy
roymeo wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:54 am
One potential scenario is to recover ~3/4 of the draw-down by Xmas week.
One potential scenario is to recover ~1/2 of the draw-down by MLKJr. week.
I predict that most predictions will be very wrong.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

hdas
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:24 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by hdas » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:54 am

ruralavalon wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:10 am
I predict that most predictions will be very wrong.
We will see, at least it's a testable proposition as it has a coordinate of price and time and some framework for the speculation. For better or worse I have taken the cane out from 2770 and below. Cheers :greedy
Stay the course and buy some more.

WhiteMaxima
Posts: 1487
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by WhiteMaxima » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:57 am

It's still down with yeasterday 6oo pt drop. Any rebound is a chance to exit I would think. 10 year treasure is 3.15% guaranteed. Do you think is equity can beat that in next few years?

hdas
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:24 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by hdas » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:02 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:57 am
It's still down with yeasterday 6oo pt drop. Any rebound is a chance to exit I would think. 10 year treasure is 3.15% guaranteed. Do you think is equity can beat that in next few years?
Perhaps not expedient to bet against the drift. H
Stay the course and buy some more.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 4077
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:03 am

Up yesterday and rising some more today - soaring upward - although not quite back to the top yet....

latesaver
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:35 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by latesaver » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:21 am

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:57 am
It's still down with yeasterday 6oo pt drop. Any rebound is a chance to exit I would think. 10 year treasure is 3.15% guaranteed. Do you think is equity can beat that in next few years?
i think you meant in the "next ten years"

Crisium
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:52 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Crisium » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:47 pm

Pretty sure my 401k contribution buys at the end of the trading day. Sigh, once I again I miss out on the bottom (for now). I want to buy on a deep discount!

User avatar
GoldStar
Posts: 611
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:59 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by GoldStar » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:08 pm

Crisium wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:47 pm
Pretty sure my 401k contribution buys at the end of the trading day. Sigh, once I again I miss out on the bottom (for now). I want to buy on a deep discount!
I was thinking the same thing. My 401K buy is today and it is also my payday so I was going to put a little in taxable - but with it being up 1.6% yesterday and looking to be up an equal percentage today looks like I'm missing the bottom of this particular trough.
Still down from most Highs but ...
(Of course for me - I'm looking at only about $2000 more in - so assuming a 3% uptick from a couple of days ago its only a $60 missed opportunity. Thanks to DCA'ing throughout the year....)

fennewaldaj
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:30 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by fennewaldaj » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:30 am

Has anybody else noticed the pattern in the last month that on down days value out performs growth and on up days growth out performs value. Not looking to do anything with that just interesting.

User avatar
oldzey
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:38 pm
Location: Land of Lincoln

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by oldzey » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:18 am

"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

MJW
Posts: 641
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by MJW » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:41 am

Crisium wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:47 pm
Pretty sure my 401k contribution buys at the end of the trading day. Sigh, once I again I miss out on the bottom (for now). I want to buy on a deep discount!
I'm sure you'll have your chance at some point. Hopefully there aren't too many lives ruined in the process.
Last edited by MJW on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

MJW
Posts: 641
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by MJW » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:42 am

fennewaldaj wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:30 am
Has anybody else noticed the pattern in the last month that on down days value out performs growth and on up days growth out performs value. Not looking to do anything with that just interesting.
It's because I buy one and sell the other on a daily basis. It's my new market timing strategy.

gilgamesh
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:29 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by gilgamesh » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:52 pm

Juggernaut cannot be stopped...

User avatar
dogagility
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:41 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by dogagility » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:33 pm

All aboard the gravy train! :D
Taking "risk" since 1995.

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 6257
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by JoMoney » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:00 pm

Pretty strong day... figured I'd bump this thread to jinx it ;)
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 14236
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:16 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:00 pm
Pretty strong day... figured I'd bump this thread to jinx it ;)
That didn't work, jinx failed :) .

The S&P 500 index is still up 1.52% so far today.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

User avatar
ReformedSpender
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:24 pm
Location: Stone's Throw from Vanguard

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by ReformedSpender » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:57 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:00 pm
Pretty strong day... figured I'd bump this thread to jinx it ;)
Just don't look at the volume indicator

:beer
Market history shows that when there's economic blue sky, future returns are low, and when the economy is on the skids, future returns are high. The best fishing is done in the most stormy waters.

amitb00
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:04 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by amitb00 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:04 pm

Dow regains 26000 level. Woo.. hoo...

Dottie57
Posts: 4773
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:08 pm

greenback wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:47 pm
H-Town wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:56 pm
amitb00 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:23 pm
Dow and S&P 500 soaring to new highs. Enjoying the ride. Wonder when will this end and don’t want to think about that😁
Not a good thing if you're in accumulation phase. But if you're close to your target to retire, then I'd raise my glass to you :beer
I can relate to your comment more than i'd like to admit! I started my accumulation phase around ~19,000 (DOW) so the earnings are tiny compared to a large portfolio. I wish I was in accumulation earlier!
Your time will come. i am retired so happy with high values. But the ride will end and then start over again.

User avatar
bligh
Posts: 932
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:13 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by bligh » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:22 pm

It's days like today that I wish I wasn't holding international at market weight! :D

Go USA! :sharebeer

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 6411
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by willthrill81 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:33 pm

bligh wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:22 pm
It's days like today that I wish I wasn't holding international at market weight! :D

Go USA! :sharebeer
Already there! :wink:
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

rudeboy
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:21 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by rudeboy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:39 pm

bligh wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:22 pm
It's days like today that I wish I wasn't holding international at market weight! :D

Go USA! :sharebeer
It's days like today I am glad I'm holding global equites at market weight, because this morning I had no idea what the day would bring, but I was prepared to catch all the upside. :sharebeer

User avatar
oldzey
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:38 pm
Location: Land of Lincoln

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by oldzey » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:01 pm

Keep on soaring! :beer
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2334
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:07 pm

To the moon, Alice! To the moon!

User avatar
dogagility
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:41 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by dogagility » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:38 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:07 pm
To the moon, Alice! To the moon!
Hey Ralphie Boy! Whatta day, eh?!
Taking "risk" since 1995.

H-Town
Posts: 1306
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by H-Town » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:00 pm

"The higher it rises, the harder it crashes."
-Your party pooper

Post Reply