Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stoptothink
Posts: 4521
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by stoptothink » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:12 pm

Piper59 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:22 pm
#1 - 46 yrs old, I do Crossfit, Olympic Lifting, running once a week plus some body building style exercise. I think the main thing is to keep it changing and not get stuck into a routine or lose your motivation.
Change isn't physiologically necessary for continued progression, it may be psychologically necessary to maintain motivation (for some). For instance, the strongest men in the world got that way by making small, yet consistent, increases in strength by doing the same movements over and over and over again following the principle of progressive overload. Totally depends on your goals and your ability to stick with something. IMO, "motivation" is short-lived; I've found (in pretty much every endeavor) that routine and discipline are more important than changing motivating factors.

User avatar
Meaty
Posts: 613
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:35 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by Meaty » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:39 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:12 pm
Piper59 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:22 pm
#1 - 46 yrs old, I do Crossfit, Olympic Lifting, running once a week plus some body building style exercise. I think the main thing is to keep it changing and not get stuck into a routine or lose your motivation.
Change isn't physiologically necessary for continued progression, it may be psychologically necessary to maintain motivation (for some). For instance, the strongest men in the world got that way by making small, yet consistent, increases in strength by doing the same movements over and over and over again following the principle of progressive overload. Totally depends on your goals and your ability to stick with something. IMO, "motivation" is short-lived; I've found (in pretty much every endeavor) that routine and discipline are more important than changing motivating factors.
+1. Motivation is fickle. Discipline won’t tolerate a breakdown in will. Embrace its cold and rentless power
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink

Cruise
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:17 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by Cruise » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:37 pm

Meaty wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:39 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:12 pm
Piper59 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:22 pm
#1 - 46 yrs old, I do Crossfit, Olympic Lifting, running once a week plus some body building style exercise. I think the main thing is to keep it changing and not get stuck into a routine or lose your motivation.
Change isn't physiologically necessary for continued progression, it may be psychologically necessary to maintain motivation (for some). For instance, the strongest men in the world got that way by making small, yet consistent, increases in strength by doing the same movements over and over and over again following the principle of progressive overload. Totally depends on your goals and your ability to stick with something. IMO, "motivation" is short-lived; I've found (in pretty much every endeavor) that routine and discipline are more important than changing motivating factors.
+1. Motivation is fickle. Discipline won’t tolerate a breakdown in will. Embrace its cold and rentless power
Discipline is a byproduct of motivation. Without motivation as a driver of behavior, discipline (defined as effort toward a goal) is impossible.

randomguy
Posts: 6624
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by randomguy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:55 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:12 pm
Piper59 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:22 pm
#1 - 46 yrs old, I do Crossfit, Olympic Lifting, running once a week plus some body building style exercise. I think the main thing is to keep it changing and not get stuck into a routine or lose your motivation.
Change isn't physiologically necessary for continued progression, it may be psychologically necessary to maintain motivation (for some). For instance, the strongest men in the world got that way by making small, yet consistent, increases in strength by doing the same movements over and over and over again following the principle of progressive overload. Totally depends on your goals and your ability to stick with something. IMO, "motivation" is short-lived; I've found (in pretty much every endeavor) that routine and discipline are more important than changing motivating factors.
Ever single one of the strongest people that I have ever read about has varied their routine quite a bit. Their goal might not change but how they work towards that goal does. Trying to get continual progression on a fixed routine tends not to work well. I have a feeling you are more talking about switching between say running and biking for your aerobic activity.

I will agree that routine is everything. If you roll out of the bed at 6am every day and go running, it is a habit that doesn't require thought. You just do it.

MathWizard
Posts: 3089
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by MathWizard » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:57 pm

Stretching is most important to avoid injury at any age.

I had to quit basketball after our boys were born, due to time constraints between work and family.

I had to quit jogging due to joint injuries, but walking and biking are both fine.
Rowing would be OK, but I don;lt have a rowing machine and don't belong to a gym.

stoptothink
Posts: 4521
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by stoptothink » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:00 pm

Cruise wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:37 pm
Meaty wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:39 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:12 pm
Piper59 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:22 pm
#1 - 46 yrs old, I do Crossfit, Olympic Lifting, running once a week plus some body building style exercise. I think the main thing is to keep it changing and not get stuck into a routine or lose your motivation.
Change isn't physiologically necessary for continued progression, it may be psychologically necessary to maintain motivation (for some). For instance, the strongest men in the world got that way by making small, yet consistent, increases in strength by doing the same movements over and over and over again following the principle of progressive overload. Totally depends on your goals and your ability to stick with something. IMO, "motivation" is short-lived; I've found (in pretty much every endeavor) that routine and discipline are more important than changing motivating factors.
+1. Motivation is fickle. Discipline won’t tolerate a breakdown in will. Embrace its cold and rentless power
Discipline is a byproduct of motivation. Without motivation as a driver of behavior, discipline (defined as effort toward a goal) is impossible.
That's not really relevant to the point that I was addressing: the idea that the worst thing to do with exercise is to get stuck in a routine. For those interested in long-term results, it may in fact be the best thing. People make exercise, like most things, way more complex than it has to be.

randomguy
Posts: 6624
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by randomguy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:09 pm

MathWizard wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:57 pm
Stretching is most important to avoid injury at any age.

I had to quit basketball after our boys were born, due to time constraints between work and family.

I had to quit jogging due to joint injuries, but walking and biking are both fine.
Rowing would be OK, but I don;lt have a rowing machine and don't belong to a gym.
Care to point to anything that suggests stretching is remotely important? I have seen stuff that suggests mobility work is valuable but I haven't seen much on stretching being beneficial. That seemed like a trend that peaked in the 70s:)

montanagirl
Posts: 994
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Montana

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by montanagirl » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:54 pm

Hate to say it but I would advise against serious running, unless you are light and compactly built...even then..

I am 69 and those friends my age who run all developed hip, knee, foot, and even back problems.

My Ortho doc recommended cycling, and only cycling. Road, mountain, spin bike whatever.

User avatar
woof755
Posts: 3157
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: Honolulu

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by woof755 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:16 am

Stay thin.
At all cost.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

Youngblood
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:18 am

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by Youngblood » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:30 pm

montanagirl wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:54 pm
Hate to say it but I would advise against serious running, unless you are light and compactly built...even then..

I am 69 and those friends my age who run all developed hip, knee, foot, and even back problems.

My Ortho doc recommended cycling, and only cycling. Road, mountain, spin bike whatever.
70 here and still running (45 years). I must admit though, that at around 65, I decided to incorporate other aerobic activities (spinning, more hiking, and ellipitical). In that time period, I have had painful injuries to knee, hip, feet, ankle, shoulder and back. Knee surgery, hip replacement, rotator cuff surgery were all recommended after MRIs. I rejected all three surgeries as well as casting for severely torn ligaments on an injured ankle.

Long story short, all the pain went away by itself. Nothing is more natural and efficient than running and walking outside. The spin class was a great safe form of riding but I hated the loud music and screaming so I quit.

We all have our stories but, each of us has to use and experience our own body.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

lomarica01
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:57 am

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by lomarica01 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:32 pm

two words Table Tennis great workout for the body and mind (it can be a very complicated game at the higher level) and low risk of injury. Plus you get out and meet people, just google for a local club in your area

alfaspider
Posts: 1621
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by alfaspider » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:17 pm

montanagirl wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:54 pm
Hate to say it but I would advise against serious running, unless you are light and compactly built...even then..

I am 69 and those friends my age who run all developed hip, knee, foot, and even back problems.

My Ortho doc recommended cycling, and only cycling. Road, mountain, spin bike whatever.
Cycling alone may lead to bone density issues. See e.g.:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3230645/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3554602/

Orthos may be a somewhat biased population. People who don't get injured don't go to see the ortho. Personally, I think running is fantastic, but not necessarily as an every day thing and not necessarily over flat pavement every time. The folks who get up every morning and run 5 miles on concrete are very different from someone who does a trail run every weekend or someone who does interval training on a track. That being said, I generally prefer cycling to running- you get to go further and see more scenery.
Last edited by alfaspider on Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alfaspider
Posts: 1621
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by alfaspider » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:18 pm

lomarica01 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:32 pm
two words Table Tennis great workout for the body and mind (it can be a very complicated game at the higher level) and low risk of injury. Plus you get out and meet people, just google for a local club in your area
My wife has only had one serious orthopedic injury- she broke her foot playing table tennis :mrgreen:

Not saying that table tennis is dangerous, but you can get hurt doing anything.

randomguy
Posts: 6624
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by randomguy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:31 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:17 pm
montanagirl wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:54 pm
Hate to say it but I would advise against serious running, unless you are light and compactly built...even then..

I am 69 and those friends my age who run all developed hip, knee, foot, and even back problems.

My Ortho doc recommended cycling, and only cycling. Road, mountain, spin bike whatever.
Cycling alone may lead to bone density issues. See e.g.:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3230645/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3554602/

Orthos may be a somewhat biased population. People who don't get injured don't go to see the ortho. Personally, I think running is fantastic, but not necessarily as an every day thing and not necessarily over flat pavement every time. The folks who get up every morning and run 5 miles on concrete are very different from someone who does a trail run every weekend or someone who does interval training on a track. That being said, I generally prefer cycling to running- you get to go further and see more scenery.
Cyclist who do get injured also might not go see the ortho. It seems like every cyclist I know eventually ends up with a broken clavicle but I think only 1 saw an ortho. The rest did slings and physical therapy. Cycling avoids some of the overuse injuries that running has but you add in crashes.

I also know a ton of nonrunners who have knee, hip and back pain. We need to know if the incidence is higher in one population than the other. And terms like "runner" are beyond vague. The person that runs 10 miles/week (say 3x30 mins) is not the same as the one running 50 (say 1 hour/day 6 days/week with a longer on the weekend). You are going to end up with vastly different injury profiles between the groups. And I will say there are whole groups of people that shouldn't be running. You see them run and you can basically see the knee cartilage being torn up as they pound their feet into the ground with every foot strike:)

The big change with aging is you want to keep going but you also need to balance the fact that you recovery from everything much slower. Finding the balance is always hard.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18906
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by dm200 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:31 pm

For very low risk aerobic exercise - a recumbent stationary bike may be the lowest risk. Even if you have paralysis (as from a stroke) in one leg, you can still use such a bike by strapping the bad foot into the pedal.

JoeRetire
Posts: 1694
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:42 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:18 pm
My wife has only had one serious orthopedic injury- she broke her foot playing table tennis.
She probably shouldn't have jumped up on the table for the forehand smash.

MathWizard
Posts: 3089
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by MathWizard » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:13 pm

randomguy wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:09 pm
MathWizard wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:57 pm
Stretching is most important to avoid injury at any age.

I had to quit basketball after our boys were born, due to time constraints between work and family.

I had to quit jogging due to joint injuries, but walking and biking are both fine.
Rowing would be OK, but I don;lt have a rowing machine and don't belong to a gym.
Care to point to anything that suggests stretching is remotely important? I have seen stuff that suggests mobility work is valuable but I haven't seen much on stretching being beneficial. That seemed like a trend that peaked in the 70s:)

WebMD :

Code: Select all

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/how-to-stretch#
Harvard :

Code: Select all

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-importance-of-stretching

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 49226
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:24 pm

^^^ I think you meant to use the URL BBCode (it looks like a chain link in the post editor toolbar menu). Here you go:

- WebMD: Stretching and Flexibility: How to Stretch, When to Stretch
- Harvard: The importance of stretching - Harvard Health (login required)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
aspirit
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:52 am
Location: Bos/Mia-south

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by aspirit » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:28 pm

MathWizard wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:13 pm
randomguy wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:09 pm
MathWizard wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:57 pm
Stretching is most important to avoid injury at any age.

I had to quit basketball after our boys were born, due to time constraints between work and family.

I had to quit jogging due to joint injuries, but walking and biking are both fine.
Rowing would be OK, but I don;lt have a rowing machine and don't belong to a gym.
Care to point to anything that suggests stretching is remotely important? I have seen stuff that suggests mobility work is valuable but I haven't seen much on stretching being beneficial. That seemed like a trend that peaked in the 70s:)

WebMD :

Code: Select all

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/how-to-stretch#
Harvard :

Code: Select all

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-importance-of-stretching
Having a multi faceted exercise education since starting a HS gym in HS, I too agree stretching is paramount.
If I could do only one exercise regimen it would be stretching.
Good Luck!
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations.

stoptothink
Posts: 4521
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:55 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:24 pm
^^^ I think you meant to use the URL BBCode (it looks like a chain link in the post editor toolbar menu). Here you go:

- WebMD: Stretching and Flexibility: How to Stretch, When to Stretch
- Harvard: The importance of stretching - Harvard Health (login required)
There is very little, if any, actual peer-reviewed literature referenced in either of those links and the medical world's stance on exercise (and nutrition for that matter) is usually far behind and not necessarily evidence based. As an exercise scientist, it's my livelihood to keep abreast on this stuff. The current literature providing evidence of the benefits of static stretching (what virtually everyone thinks of when they hear "stretching") is extremely tenuous while the more recent research continues to build evidence about the importance of dynamic stretching, movement prep, and mobility work. In the exercise physiology world right now, the most common viewpoint is that static stretching may offer some post-training benefits in regards to recovery and overall soft tissue functionality, but it is the highest hanging of fruit. If time (or something else) denotes that a component of your training regimen has to go, it probably should be static stretching.

bagle
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:59 am

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by bagle » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:01 am

[/quote]
the more recent research continues to build evidence about the importance of dynamic stretching, movement prep, and mobility work
[/quote]

Given your background and the current state of research, can you recommend any practical videos, books or likewise that implement these? Would you recommend the previously-cited Miranda Edmond-White classical stretches, which appear to be dynamic?

livesoft
Posts: 62942
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by livesoft » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:33 am

I prefer to eat at Dynamic BBQ and not eat at Static BBQ, but I have a hypothesis that BBQ is the one meal that increases one's BMI the mostest. I judge all BBQ joints by the average BMI of patrons over 16 exiting the place.

Ooops, sorry, wrong thread.
Last edited by livesoft on Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

bearcub
Posts: 911
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:54 am
Location: Twilight Zone

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by bearcub » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:36 am

Ihave a girlfriend who is 33 years younger than myself. 8-)

User avatar
queso
Posts: 631
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by queso » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:29 am

I didn't read every reply carefully, but as an older than you (mid 40s) multi-sport lifelong athlete I'll throw this out there. At some point in the next decade or so you will lose your ability to safely "just power through it". That was a really hard lesson for me and I injured myself several times because I was approaching activities like my mid-20s and 30s self. By powering through it I mean doing something that you don't do a lot or randomly picking something up that isn't your regular thing, but attacking it like driven athletic people tend to do. My sports were mainly cycling, mountain biking, rock climbing and skateboarding, but I would randomly run or lift weights every now and then. I started dating an ultrarunner before I met DW and one Saturday decided it was a good idea to go on a run with her. My fitness level was high and I figured, hey, no big deal, I did a 5k the other month, what's a few more "k" on top of that. Big mistake. Sure, I finished the run, but I was in bad shape for at least a week. I did the same thing with climbing. Took a bunch of time off due to a torn meniscus, went back to the climbing gym and figured I should start on some easy climbs to get back in the swing of things. Hopped on a couple crimpy 10s and 11s and before you know it, finger injury. Couldn't climb for months. I am super conservative now with activities I don't do regularly since I can no longer predict exactly how my body will handle the new movements/forces. I would have saved myself a bunch of pain and recovery time if I had just stopped powering through stuff using basic athleticism like I did when I was younger. That approach doesn't work so well with an older body. :happy
Last edited by queso on Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

goblue100
Posts: 740
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by goblue100 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:40 am

Rupert wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:15 am
Not sure what kind of stretching you presently do, but I would add some sort of formal stretching and balance program to your routine, e.g., yoga, pilates, tai chi, etc. Remaining flexible is key. Most orthopedists would tell you that to avoid injury you should run less and walk more, but I know how runners are. If that's your thing, there's no stopping you. Just listen to your body and adjust as necessary.
+1. Things that focus on functional movement and strength will the be most helpful as you age. I haven't tried yoga yet but plan to, and I've added stretching and a twice weekly body shaping class to my routine in the last 4 years (57). Seems to have helped.
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns

shell921
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by shell921 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:59 am

What about "pliability" ? Not a football fan at all but Tom Brady makes sense. He says that
"pliability is simply a way to maintain, you know, your muscles long and lean and soft, and it allows the joints in your body to move efficiently and correctly without putting loads on your tendons or your structure..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SSP_qAUtYI

http://www.stack.com/a/does-tom-bradys- ... ually-work

https://tb12sports.com/collections/pliability

https://www.businessinsider.com/tom-bra ... od-2017-12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NusgNxHxhyE

Hikerchick
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:29 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by Hikerchick » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:35 am

62 here and retired -I hang with a group of friends who are all very active- I hike about 3-4 times/week - maybe 2-3 short hikes then one long hike during the week ( longer than 6-8 miles with minimum of 3000 ft elevation gain). I tend to like steep terrain/scrambling ( >1000 ft/mile) so that's where I spend my time, even on the short hikes. Lots of backpacking during the summer months. On days I don't hike, then I weight lift/stretch because at my age, loss of muscle mass and flexibility becomes an issue. Try to watch what I eat, but I am not hard core about it. In the winter, I cross country ski and snowshoe, and some hiking as well. I'm selective about what sports I do; if I participate in a sport minimally and the risk of injury is high, I am likely to forego that sport because I can't afford an injury that will sideline me from what I love to do. When I was younger, I think that wasn't much of a consideration but now it is. Also, I have a recurring back injury that needs a little TLC so that prevents me from doing certain things but I work on my core to offset that. Bottom line is, find things you like to do that will keep you moving; as you get older you may have to consider which things are more likely to result in injury and choose based on that. That being said, my older sister who is 66 is an X-terra tri-athlete who open water swims, mountain bikes and trail runs. She has a boxer's fracture on both hands and has fallen off her bike many times- we have a policy about our activities which is, " I won't tell Mom if you don't." But doing it makes her happy, so there's that. :P

user9532
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by user9532 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:15 am

I’m 62, not retired yet. I followed a healthy lifestyle for a long time. Went to gym everyday and worked out for almost an hour, maintained a healthy weight, followed a balanced diet, never smoked etc etc. But early this year I was diagnosed with cancer and spent several months undergoing treatment (currently my cancer is in remission). So you never know… I guess my healthy lifestyle helped with the recovery because after my last surgery, I recovered rather quickly.

If you look at the cancer statistics you will see more and more people are getting cancer every year even though the survival rate is also increasing.
Probably it is a good idea to focus on a cancer prevention lifestyle too. May be start here:

http://www.aicr.org/cancer-research/die ... cerreport/

randomguy
Posts: 6624
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by randomguy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:31 am

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:55 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:24 pm
^^^ I think you meant to use the URL BBCode (it looks like a chain link in the post editor toolbar menu). Here you go:

- WebMD: Stretching and Flexibility: How to Stretch, When to Stretch
- Harvard: The importance of stretching - Harvard Health (login required)
There is very little, if any, actual peer-reviewed literature referenced in either of those links and the medical world's stance on exercise (and nutrition for that matter) is usually far behind and not necessarily evidence based. As an exercise scientist, it's my livelihood to keep abreast on this stuff. The current literature providing evidence of the benefits of static stretching (what virtually everyone thinks of when they hear "stretching") is extremely tenuous while the more recent research continues to build evidence about the importance of dynamic stretching, movement prep, and mobility work. In the exercise physiology world right now, the most common viewpoint is that static stretching may offer some post-training benefits in regards to recovery and overall soft tissue functionality, but it is the highest hanging of fruit. If time (or something else) denotes that a component of your training regimen has to go, it probably should be static stretching.
That is pretty much my impression of both those articles and stretching in general. There are some limited cases where it has been shown to be a beneficial but not so much as a general thing.

I stretch a couple times a week. Largely out of habit:). I place a lot more faith in the running and lifting keeping me in good health. And I think foam rolling (and yeah I haven't seen a ton of peer reviewed literature on that either) being better than stretching for maintaining mobility.

If you change from stretching to mobility being most important, it would be a more interesting discussion. Some yoga (granted yoga covers a huge range of activities) where you move your body through large ranges of motion is pretty good.

randomguy
Posts: 6624
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by randomguy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:49 am

shell921 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:59 am
What about "pliability" ? Not a football fan at all but Tom Brady makes sense. He says that
"pliability is simply a way to maintain, you know, your muscles long and lean and soft, and it allows the joints in your body to move efficiently and correctly without putting loads on your tendons or your structure..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SSP_qAUtYI

http://www.stack.com/a/does-tom-bradys- ... ually-work

https://tb12sports.com/collections/pliability

https://www.businessinsider.com/tom-bra ... od-2017-12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NusgNxHxhyE
There is somewhat limited info out there but from what I have seen, the pliability work is on top of traditional strength/aerobic work. The pliability exercise sounds like various types myofascial release type work. Things like foam rollers, lacrosse balls, and massage. You would have to look into how other QBs (brees, aaron rodgers, manning,...) train to see how different Tom's training is.

To some extent this stuff is like active mangement. There are always winners (i.e. the guys that keep playing til they are 40 or beat the market) and we always try and credit that to something they have done (workout routine, stock picking strategy). It might just be survivorship bias. Or they could have some talent. Maybe the market is 50% strength, 25% conditioning, 25% mobility for football players but the efficient frontier is more brady's 25% strength, 25% conditioning, 50% mobility:)

stoptothink
Posts: 4521
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by stoptothink » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:15 am

bagle wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:01 am
the more recent research continues to build evidence about the importance of dynamic stretching, movement prep, and mobility work
[/quote]

Given your background and the current state of research, can you recommend any practical videos, books or likewise that implement these? Would you recommend the previously-cited Miranda Edmond-White classical stretches, which appear to be dynamic?
[/quote]

I am not a Crossfit proponent, but Kelly Starrett's book is great https://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Supple- ... 1628600837. I'm also a long-time fan of Mike Boyle https://www.amazon.com/Functional-Train ... 073604681X; almost everybody could benefit from 5min of squat progression work a few times a week. Just the two real experts that immediately came to mind.

splishsplash
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:09 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by splishsplash » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:19 pm

Try rowing / sculling. I kayaked for years but bought an Edon TS515 training scull a few years ago and have not looked back. I quit going to the gym and just get out in the boat a few times a week. It's all round good low impact exercise and just a lot of fun. The boat oars and delivery was about $3k and I feel better now than I have in 20 years.

Freefun
Posts: 388
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by Freefun » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:37 pm

Increase mobility. I decided to pursue gymnastics. Not easy for an old dude but it’s doing wonders for my mobility.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

likegarden
Posts: 2708
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by likegarden » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:45 pm

I am not doing sports. I understand that with sports you can get injuries. I was always doing my own yardwork, kept me moving. Now being over 70, doctor says that body parts most moved get injured first due to wear.

Youngblood
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:18 am

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by Youngblood » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:35 pm

likegarden wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:45 pm
I am not doing sports. I understand that with sports you can get injuries. I was always doing my own yardwork, kept me moving. Now being over 70, doctor says that body parts most moved get injured first due to wear.
Not sure I understand this. Just a tad over 70 here and have run for over 46 years. Hiked for 57. Nothing injured here due to wear that I can tell. Well, I used to run but can only call it a jog now.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

RudyS
Posts: 1362
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:11 am

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by RudyS » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:43 pm

woof755 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:16 am
Stay thin.
At all cost.
Works for me. 82 YO, bmi right at the bottom of healthy range. But I'm lucky, seems to be genetic, don't have to work at it.

MP173
Posts: 1937
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:03 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by MP173 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:41 am

I have started the stretches (backward aging) by Miranda Esmond White.

Pretty good routine, no doubt it will take quite awhile to see results. Also biking and lifting weights.

Ed

User avatar
djpeteski
Posts: 693
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by djpeteski » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:59 am

Youngblood wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:35 pm
likegarden wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:45 pm
I am not doing sports. I understand that with sports you can get injuries. I was always doing my own yardwork, kept me moving. Now being over 70, doctor says that body parts most moved get injured first due to wear.
Not sure I understand this. Just a tad over 70 here and have run for over 46 years. Hiked for 57. Nothing injured here due to wear that I can tell. Well, I used to run but can only call it a jog now.
The key is form, you probably naturally run correctly. Toe striker they like to call people like you. I am a heal striker and attempting to unlearn my ways. Striking on one's heal not only causes excess strain on the joints, it slows a person down. It acts as a natural brake.

Two things I am learning on my 50+ year old journey to be an ironman. Form is almost the key to everything, and you probably need a coach to help you. So far I have needed a lot of coaching in swimming, and some in running.

Secondly, if you can find someone that does this, getting an evaluation by a physical therapist might be a good idea. For example one person I know was getting plantar faciatis from running and walking. This was due to lack of strength in their hip flexors. What? A few weeks of strengthening exercises and he was good.

forgeblast
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:45 am
Location: PA
Contact:

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by forgeblast » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:43 am

In my 20's I ran 3xs a week, worked out and did aikido. As we were moving to a different state I had a box of books fall and take out my knee. Was unable to do a lot and then had our house so that took all that time.
In my 30s I hiked and my daughter was born. With a friend we would go three times a week to a local rock climbing gym. Bad belay same knee re injured. This caused a lot of ITB band issues and I had a hard time walking from our barn to our house. Thank fully PT helped.
Now 44, I jog a few miles 2-3 times a week, in between I do pull ups, push ups, squats, and stretch with abs. Also stretch after taking a sauna.
Rainy weather I have an indoor bike.
The biggest change we made was going plant based. In the first month I dropped ten lbs from my stomach and feel so much better mentally.
The food we eat is excellent and pintrest is filled with tons of recipes. Plus having a wegmans near us, we have all the ingredients we need.
What made us change was just feeling blaw, and a documentary on the china study(there are sites disputing some of its claims). But the results for us really keep us moving forward on it.
I also do a lot of green woodworking. using fresh wood to make items. That keeps me in the woods and moving logs etc.
Now that my daughter will be 10 we bought kayaks to go with our canoe and try to spend time doing instead of just watching technology.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18906
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by dm200 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:23 am

Check out drmirkin.com and youngernextyear for (in my opinion) sound advice.

Nova1967
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by Nova1967 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:08 am

Age 57, Orange Theory 4 days a week

Nova1967
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by Nova1967 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:09 am

Age 57, Orange Theory 4 days a week, Golf 2 times a week and tennis once a week

PoppyA
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:24 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by PoppyA » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:31 am

Interesting thread! Thank
S
“Your labor income makes you rich, not your investments.”

shell921
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by shell921 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:41 am

MP173 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:41 am
I have started the stretches (backward aging) by Miranda Esmond White.

Pretty good routine, no doubt it will take quite awhile to see results. Also biking and lifting weights.

Ed

I love love love love Classical Stretch!!! I saw results in just a week. It has increased my flexibility and has improved my posture. I walk faster and the increased flexibility in my feet has helped my balance. Takes away/prevents stiffness !

I've done some kind of exercise all my adult life including: strength training, ballet, yoga, yoga,jogging, walking & swimming. So when I saw the program on TV I figured it would be excellent & worth a try. It is a wonderful work out. I've done it pretty consistently for almost 6 years.


I tell EVERYONE about it as I see and feel the improvement. I have about 15 episodes recorded from public broadcasting channel on my DVR and
I use those a lot..but I know by heart so many of the gentle stretches and routines as I have done them so much.
There are also many youtube videos you can watch. You don't have to buy any CD' but they are available. If you
want to try it I suggest trying to do only 5-8 min of the 22 min routine and build up from there. That's what I did. I started with 5-6 min a day
and did that for a week then went to 10 min a day for a week.

alfaspider
Posts: 1621
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by alfaspider » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:46 am

djpeteski wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:59 am


The key is form, you probably naturally run correctly. Toe striker they like to call people like you. I am a heal striker and attempting to unlearn my ways. Striking on one's heal not only causes excess strain on the joints, it slows a person down. It acts as a natural brake.

A few years ago, I learned that footwear has a HUGE impact on how you run. It's not innate. I was a "heel striker" running in shoes with big padded heels. When I ditched the big heel for a minimalist shoe, I suddenly became a forefoot striker without even thinking about it!

Angst
Posts: 1874
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:31 am

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by Angst » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:26 am

I'd guess that roughly 1/3 of the ever-changing population of orthopedic surgery patients that I interact with have had fractures related to falls. Common denominators include the following:

(Note that although the following items might seem just for people who are beyond "staying active", I assure you that some of the most impressively vital and active 50+ y/o people I've met have still ended up with "dumb" accidental fractures.)

- Age mid-50's and up
- Sudden movement; turning, sidestepping, or getting out of chair.
- Sleepiness: getting out of bed, getting out of chair after resting
- Lack of light: nighttime, saving energy
- General recklessness involving activity, often complicated w/ throw rugs, cords and other hazards
- Stairs
- Alcohol

My lifestyle prescriptions for prophylaxis:
- Train oneself to always think before transitioning in any way.
- Breath in/out 1 full, deep breath before moving. O2 sats can plummet while resting and BP can do the same when rising to stand after resting deeply. People get light-headed...
- Look at your feet and where they will be going, before you begin going there.
- Think about what you're going to do before doing it, always. With practice you won't have to look like some halting, hesitant senior citizen, you can just look like an easy going, thoughtful person. It's worth it.
- USE the handrail on all stairs.
- If a wheeled walker is helpful for certain people at certain times, USE IT.

It's all about training oneself to keep good habits. Unfortunately, I've found that most people need to first experience 1 or more accidental falls before they begin taking these kinds of prescriptions seriously.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18632
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:57 am

Do:
Bed of nails
Wim Hof's breathing
Cold showers
Keto diet in conjunction with Intermittent Fasting
Cryo therapy
Improv and standup classes and performances
Walking and backpacking
Good sleep

Shall do:
Strength / resistance exercises
(Thank you to Jasstonight and LadyGeek for the encouragement)

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Freefun
Posts: 388
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by Freefun » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:27 pm

Weekly routine
Hot yoga 4x week
Strength 3x
Mobility gymnastics 5x
HIIT e.g. stairmaster or other 20min 5x HR 150+
Walking 10k steps day

Ad hoc when travelling
Mountain climbing (non technical) 10-15 miles/day
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

shell921
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by shell921 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:30 pm

Angst wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:26 am
I'd guess that roughly 1/3 of the ever-changing population of orthopedic surgery patients that I interact with have had fractures related to falls. Common denominators include the following:

(Note that although the following items might seem just for people who are beyond "staying active", I assure you that some of the most impressively vital and active 50+ y/o people I've met have still ended up with "dumb" accidental fractures.)

- Age mid-50's and up
- Sudden movement; turning, sidestepping, or getting out of chair.
- Sleepiness: getting out of bed, getting out of chair after resting
- Lack of light: nighttime, saving energy
- General recklessness involving activity, often complicated w/ throw rugs, cords and other hazards
- Stairs
- Alcohol

My lifestyle prescriptions for prophylaxis:
- Train oneself to always think before transitioning in any way.
- Breath in/out 1 full, deep breath before moving. O2 sats can plummet while resting and BP can do the same when rising to stand after resting deeply. People get light-headed...
- Look at your feet and where they will be going, before you begin going there.
- Think about what you're going to do before doing it, always. With practice you won't have to look like some halting, hesitant senior citizen, you can just look like an easy going, thoughtful person. It's worth it.
- USE the handrail on all stairs.
- If a wheeled walker is helpful for certain people at certain times, USE IT.

It's all about training oneself to keep good habits. Unfortunately, I've found that most people need to first experience 1 or more accidental falls before they begin taking these kinds of prescriptions seriously.
Thank-you-excellent ! I am a healthy and fit 70 year old who was/is almost always careful about not falling. Last March
I was walking too fast in my garage and tripped and fell over some weatherstripping that was in the wrong place. I
broke my right arm!

User avatar
FelixTheCat
Posts: 1488
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:39 am

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by FelixTheCat » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:58 pm

I do CrossFit at 56. Coaches always tells us to have proper form in our workouts. One coach recommends flaxseed oil ever day for people over 40
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

Post Reply