Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
pennstater2005
Posts: 2463
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by pennstater2005 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:21 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:24 pm
How about the obligatory "Please stay on-topic"? :wink:
Fair enough :sharebeer
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

User avatar
PaulAtreides
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:10 pm

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by PaulAtreides » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:42 pm

Thank you everyone for the advice and responses. Shaving my head inst a good option for me, it wont look good, shape-wise.

I will do my due diligence and research more. Ultimately its a risk I take because it might end up failing. I am in good shape and eat healthy as well so no issues there.

JBTX
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by JBTX » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:53 pm

Decades ago I went through what you did. At the time it was a drag. There were certain people who would keep looking up at the top of my head during conversations. Also, it did make dating more difficult. Some women didn't care, but I think most did.

Over the years just started cutting it shorter and shorter to the point of just using a trimmer with no guard. As you get older it becomes less of a big deal.

As to transplants, seems to me there is a big risk there. I've certainly seen quite a few bad ones. If it goes wrong you look abnormal. Being bald is normal. And the older you get bald becomes more normal and transplants progressively look worse.

User avatar
fishandgolf
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:50 pm

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by fishandgolf » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:56 pm

My boss was bald.............he had a little placard on his desk.......

"God made only so many perfect heads....the rest he covered with hair :sharebeer

User avatar
fishandgolf
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:50 pm

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by fishandgolf » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:03 pm

JBTX wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:53 pm
Decades ago I went through what you did. At the time it was a drag. There were certain people who would keep looking up at the top of my head during conversations. Also, it did make dating more difficult. Some women didn't care, but I think most did.

Over the years just started cutting it shorter and shorter to the point of just using a trimmer with no guard. As you get older it becomes less of a big deal.

As to transplants, seems to me there is a big risk there. I've certainly seen quite a few bad ones. If it goes wrong you look abnormal. Being bald is normal. And the older you get bald becomes more normal and transplants progressively look worse.

+100

Same here...........happened to me in my late 20's. Really struggled with it for many years.......Other posters are correct.........focus on more important things in your life. It is tough.....you will have to gut through this........but you will be a stronger person. I had co-workers that did the "rug" thing. Then after many years of it looking really crappy..........they stopped. My suggestion......hang in there and be tough.......it will get better. It did for me.........

Good Luck........

User avatar
fortfun
Posts: 980
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by fortfun » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:11 pm

PaulAtreides wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:42 pm
Thank you everyone for the advice and responses. Shaving my head inst a good option for me, it wont look good, shape-wise.

I will do my due diligence and research more. Ultimately its a risk I take because it might end up failing. I am in good shape and eat healthy as well so no issues there.
I think everyone who shaves their head thinks that at first. I did but now receive complements on the shape of my head. Maybe people are just being nice.

JHU ALmuni
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:40 pm

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by JHU ALmuni » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:16 pm

Worked for Elon Musk. Your milage may vary.

User avatar
Pizza_and_Beer
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:23 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by Pizza_and_Beer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:11 pm

I'd personally wouldn't do it. As was mentioned multiple times, it's better to get a buzz cut or shave it all off. Spend the money you would save from the transplant getting in better shape and upgrading your wardrobe. That would yield a more holistic increase in self-confidence, in my opinion.

Channel your inner Jean-Luc Picard or Jeff Bezos! :mrgreen:

User avatar
JamesSFO
Posts: 3107
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by JamesSFO » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 pm

Trism wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:25 am
lthenderson wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:39 am
I can spot a transplant almost as far away as a comb over. You wouldn't be fooling anyone. Just shave your head close or completely and leave people guessing.
This should go without saying, but you wouldn't be aware of the ones you did not spot.
I had one done and at my first haircut ~2 months later, my hair dresser could not find any visible signs or tell I had it done. Newer procedures with the robot leave no scar.

gusan
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:23 am

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by gusan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:26 pm

Yup, no scars with the FUE method - no more taking strips of hair. Also I paid only $1500 for ~3K transplants.

Keenobserver
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:05 pm

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by Keenobserver » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:30 pm

Had it done 12 yrs ago ( when i was 23 ) as I started thinning out at 18. So you dont have it bad at all. Yes it does work and your hair grows normally. My B in law had 2 procedures done outside the US and looks a completely diff man now. I am planning to do it again, probably will need 2 more procedures. Also know of people who went to Turkey. Yes it does boost your confidence. People start going to the gym after they see their hars growing back. Make sure u go to a reputable person review ratings.

michaeljc70
Posts: 3575
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:43 am

pennstater2005 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:54 pm
Why is anyone surprised by good natured but off topic responses? That is Bogleheads.
Exactly. "Should buy a new car x or car y?" turns into can you afford a new car? Why do you need a new car? What is your asset allocation? lol

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 48006
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:14 pm

I removed an off-topic post linking to an article which discussed medical causes for hair loss. As a reminder, see: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Please stay focused on the consumer aspects.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Momus
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by Momus » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:53 pm

gusan wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:26 pm
Yup, no scars with the FUE method - no more taking strips of hair. Also I paid only $1500 for ~3K transplants.
Where was this? That's so cheap!

gusan
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:23 am

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by gusan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:13 pm

Momus wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:53 pm
gusan wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:26 pm
Yup, no scars with the FUE method - no more taking strips of hair. Also I paid only $1500 for ~3K transplants.
Where was this? That's so cheap!
South Asia :)

Trism
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by Trism » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:43 am

Cycle wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:32 am
Trism wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:22 am
Cycle wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:59 am
Who cares, stop comparing yourself to others. Divert that energy and money into eating healthy / staying fit.
In my experience you cannot purchase fitness or health. But you can purchase hair.
paleo diet with high quality ingredients will cost much more than the standard american diet (SAD), even if shopping at aldi. gym memberships, bikes, jogging shoes, xc ski pass all cost money... excellent investments in your fitness.
You can pick up a sense of humor at most neighborhood Walgreens stores.

Trism
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by Trism » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:46 am

JamesSFO wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 pm
Trism wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:25 am
lthenderson wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:39 am
I can spot a transplant almost as far away as a comb over. You wouldn't be fooling anyone. Just shave your head close or completely and leave people guessing.
This should go without saying, but you wouldn't be aware of the ones you did not spot.
I had one done and at my first haircut ~2 months later, my hair dresser could not find any visible signs or tell I had it done. Newer procedures with the robot leave no scar.
What is the name of the robot procedure? Last (and only) previous firsthand review I got for a hair replacement procedure was for Neograft, which isn't exactly new. I am serious about having something done next year. Thank you in advance.

User avatar
JamesSFO
Posts: 3107
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by JamesSFO » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Trism wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:46 am
What is the name of the robot procedure? Last (and only) previous firsthand review I got for a hair replacement procedure was for Neograft, which isn't exactly new. I am serious about having something done next year. Thank you in advance.
Artas - http://siliconvalleyhairinstitute.com/artas/

That's where I had it done.

Trism
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by Trism » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:16 pm

JamesSFO wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:41 pm
Trism wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:46 am
What is the name of the robot procedure? Last (and only) previous firsthand review I got for a hair replacement procedure was for Neograft, which isn't exactly new. I am serious about having something done next year. Thank you in advance.
Artas - http://siliconvalleyhairinstitute.com/artas/

That's where I had it done.
Much appreciated!

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18324
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by dm200 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:20 pm

PaulAtreides wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:02 pm
Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has done a hair transplant or knew someone who did and the experience/results that were observed.

I am 33 and severely balding, been considering a transplant for a while. I am always thankful for my health and family, and I realize there are more important things than hair. It does bring me down sometimes, and everyone around me notices how bald I have become. I am in an upper management role at my company and the lack of hair does lower my confidence levels.

I have the financial means to do the procedure, which typically costs $15-20K.

I don't know how well they work and expectations I should have.

Perhaps someone with experience in this realm can provide guidance.

Thank you!
Almost sounds like there is a need for a "support group".

veindoc
Posts: 378
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by veindoc » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:42 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:20 pm
[quote=PaulAtreides post_id=4158624 time=<a href="tel:1539205321">1539205321</a> user_id=129239]
Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has done a hair transplant or knew someone who did and the experience/results that were observed.

I am 33 and severely balding, been considering a transplant for a while. I am always thankful for my health and family, and I realize there are more important things than hair. It does bring me down sometimes, and everyone around me notices how bald I have become. I am in an upper management role at my company and the lack of hair does lower my confidence levels.

I have the financial means to do the procedure, which typically costs $15-20K.

I don't know how well they work and expectations I should have.

Perhaps someone with experience in this realm can provide guidance.

Thank you!
Almost sounds like there is a need for a "support group".
[/quote]

Absolutely. My brother started balding at age 18 and was devastated. I remember him arguing with my mom because he wanted to wear a hat with a suit he was wearing to go to a wedding. He didn’t go to the wedding. There was no way he was going to show his balding head. My husband was also self conscious about his lack of hair when we met. Another ex boyfriend - same thing. I didn’t care- it actually seemed normal to me. I have been known to tell men in their 50’s and 60’s with a full head of hair how lucky they are. My father and other brother lost their hair at a young age. My dad had me at 29 and I can honestly say I don’t have a single memory of him with a full head of hair. I have three boys -one with a head of curly hair that always gets noticed- so I plan to set aside a little money when they are teenagers to help them with that issue if they are really impacted psychologically from it. I know first hand the emotional toll it can take on a young person.

Turbo29
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:12 am

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by Turbo29 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:05 pm

TxAg wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:14 pm
Buzz your whole head with a #1. I think that's the best look for early balding.
I used to use the #1 until I was talking to a friend of mine, who is a cosmetologist. He told me to try it without the #1 comb. I asked, "Won't I get cut?' He said, "No, that's why the metal comb attached to the clipper is called a 'blade guard'."

I stopped using the #1 comb and now set the lever on the clipper to cut as close as possible. Works great.

User avatar
TinyElvis
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:33 pm

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by TinyElvis » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:27 pm

[ quoted post removed by admin LadyGeek]

What were the side effects?

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 48006
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:41 pm

^^^ I removed a post and the one quoted here (related to a certain drug). See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

sillysaver
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by sillysaver » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:00 pm

Just wait until gene therapy is advanced enough.

Or learn not to care. I started losing my hair in my teens. Sometime in my 20's I decided to just start buzzing it close and it was extremely liberating once I accepted it.

Momus
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by Momus » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:08 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:20 pm
PaulAtreides wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:02 pm
Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has done a hair transplant or knew someone who did and the experience/results that were observed.

I am 33 and severely balding, been considering a transplant for a while. I am always thankful for my health and family, and I realize there are more important things than hair. It does bring me down sometimes, and everyone around me notices how bald I have become. I am in an upper management role at my company and the lack of hair does lower my confidence levels.

I have the financial means to do the procedure, which typically costs $15-20K.

I don't know how well they work and expectations I should have.

Perhaps someone with experience in this realm can provide guidance.

Thank you!
Almost sounds like there is a need for a "support group".
For men, it's a big deal. It's the only face accessory you can control. We don't wear earrings, lipstick, make up etc. We have nothing but hair there.

Post Reply