What backup service to use?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: What backup service to use?

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:21 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:37 pm
In any case, I'll purchase a subscription to SpiderOak ONE near the end of my 21 day trial period. Discount pricing can be found via google.
The free trial period allowed me to size the storage capacity. I'm currently at 130 GB, so the 150 GB plan works for me.

Discount pricing can be found, but none of the offer codes would work. I signed up for the 150 GB plan annual subscription for $59 ($4.92 / month).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:27 pm

Does the free trial required a credit card and then canceling or no payment method until going permanent?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:06 pm

No. Just download and you get 21 days up to 250 GB with unlimited devices. Nothing is crippled.

You had asked earlier about network drives. I just found the help article, ignore my prior answer.

See: Backing Up a NAS Device
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:08 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:04 pm
My requirements for online storage [include]:
- Zero-Knowledge
I previously knew what Zero-Knowledge is, but I had never heard of the term. I went to the Cloudwards web site and found my way to Sync.com, which offers a free 6GB account that can be expanded to 2TB for $96 per year. Either account includes free versioning that does not count against your account GB size.

It turns out synced backups of all our finance and tax files, our estate planning documents, our "death book" and instructions, and our 1Password vault add up to less than 3GB. I set up a free 6GB account at Sync.com and so far it is working perfectly, syncing immediately whenever I make a change to any of our included files. I keep encrypted backups of all our files in a desk top hard drive attached to our main computer, in a portable drive in our safe, and in a portable drive hidden in our detached garage. I have previously been very paranoid about using the cloud. I don't sync any of our Macs via iCloud and I don't even use 1Password's cloud version (which is also Zero-Knowledge). Sync.com is my first foray into the cloud and I am only trying it out due to its very strong encryption and its commitment to Zero-Knowledge.

One advantage is that if I give our Sync.com password to our two adult children, who live in other states, they could access all of our included files from their own homes if my wife and I ever meet our shared demise on vacation, or even out driving for groceries.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:10 pm

retire14 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:01 am
I am currently backing up my Mac with an external HD, but would like to find another backup mechanism. What backup service do you use and why? Is iCloud a good backup?Thanks.
I use the Google cloud. Inexpensive and convenient.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:40 pm

fourwheelcycle wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:08 pm
...It turns out synced backups of all our finance and tax files, our estate planning documents, our "death book" and instructions, and our 1Password vault add up to less than 3GB.

...One advantage is that if I give our Sync.com password to our two adult children, who live in other states, they could access all of our included files from their own homes if my wife and I ever meet our shared demise on vacation, or even out driving for groceries.
You may be interested in this 2016 thread: Fidelity "FidSafe" Free online storage of documents - is this safe?

I don't use this service myself, but it might help with some of the legal aspects.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:38 pm

Online, my photos are in Google Photos. My music is in Google Music. Everything else I use OneDrive. I got in the habit long ago of keeping all my data in one folder (with subfolders of course). This makes it very easy to backup. Since this doesn't include most media (music/photos), it doesn't take that much space and I don't have to pay any extra for space.

I go farther than most people probably in that I compress and encrypt the data before it is uploaded. I use a free tool for this (7-zip). That way if anyone ever got into my Onedrive, the data would be useless to them without the encryption password. I trust this more than any service made specifically for backups. Someone would have to know my OneDrive password (or hack into OneDrive) AND know my encryption password to get anything.

In addition, I take backups from my primary computer (laptop) and copy them to a desktop. Occasionally I copy a backup to a USB stick and throw it in the safe, but that is rare and inconvenient.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:56 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:40 pm
You may be interested in this 2016 thread: Fidelity "FidSafe" Free online storage of documents - is this safe?
Thanks for the note on FidSafe. I did learn of it when it began; probably from Fidelity. I explored the service, but I decided not to use it. As far as I can tell it is not Zero-Knowledge. They make a big deal of encrypting your files and using two factor authorization, but they never mention Zero-Knowledge. It is probably just like our log-ins for Vanguard, Fidelity, and BoA - they are careful and you can use two factor authorization, but they are not Zero-Knowledge. My password app, 1Password, makes a big deal of never learning your master password or having it in their servers. I don't use their cloud version, so neither my master password or my actual passwords (my vault) ever leave my computers.

Actually, Sync.com has the same file sharing feature as FidSafe, although I do not plan to use it. The most I would do is to give my Sync.com password to our kids and ask them not to use it unless we both die.

pondering

Post by pondering » Sat May 05, 2018 5:00 pm

A few things:

How is everyone's backup provider doing?

Has everyone done at least on restore this year?
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

bandoba

Post by bandoba » Sat May 05, 2018 11:41 pm

munemaker wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:10 pm
retire14 wrote:
I am currently backing up my Mac with an external HD, but would like to find another backup mechanism. What backup service do you use and why? Is iCloud a good backup?Thanks.
I use the Google cloud. Inexpensive and convenient.
Do you mean use Google drive? Do you use Google backup tool to automatically backup files on to cloud/drive? If it's drive, I'm guessing you get versions as well and not just snapshot?

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat May 05, 2018 11:55 pm

I copy from my primary laptop to a desktop/media center. I also use OneDrive to backup in the cloud, though that is a script I wrote. I only backup to the cloud encrypted data. I mean encrypted on my end so if someone stole it, it would be useless. It is also free. I don't really want to pay for a service for this. I can see how it is worth it if you are not diligent about backing things up (like many people aren't).

yogesh

Post by yogesh » Sun May 06, 2018 12:18 am

Like others low cost local and geo backup solution:
- Locally use doc/will/pics/video on Desktop
- Continuous backup differential on external SSD in home
- Once in couple of years place encrypted SSD at geo site
Emergency: FDIC | Taxable: VT | Retirement: TR2040

c.coyle

Post by c.coyle » Sun May 06, 2018 6:39 am

I use Spideroak One. Similar to Dropbox, but paranoid-level security.

https://spideroak.com/one/

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402390,00.asp
VTSAX - 40%, VTIAX - 10%, VBTLX - 50%

18_bank_accounts

Post by 18_bank_accounts » Sun May 06, 2018 10:53 am

Dropbox, plus a local Synology NAS that’s setup to sync one-way from Dropbox. It doesn’t delete files.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 06, 2018 11:39 am

Synology NAS can be subject to malware attacks unless you've followed the recommended security precautions. (I don't own one, but often see security hacks in the news.)

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Mon May 07, 2018 2:09 pm

retire14 wrote:
I just moved to I drive. Got a 94% discount for being a competitive customer.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Mon May 07, 2018 2:53 pm

What is the best way to backup only Microsoft Office Outlook? On an external hard drive?

My Outlook crashed last night, whited-out then a window appeared "Outlook cannot open." Since I'm trying to store more emails in categories rather than print them out for paper files, a crash destroys my good intentions :(

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon May 07, 2018 2:56 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 2:53 pm
What is the best way to backup only Microsoft Office Outlook? On an external hard drive?

My Outlook crashed last night, whited-out then a window appeared "Outlook cannot open." Since I'm trying to store more emails in categories rather than print them out for paper files, a crash destroys my good intentions :(
I don't use Outlook but for Thunderbird, I just make sure that my mail is using IMAP servers; all the mail stays out on the server even when my local system has a copy. If my local system croaks I can restart the mail anywhere and the copies download to the client.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Tue May 08, 2018 7:44 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:38 pm
Online, my photos are in Google Photos. My music is in Google Music. Everything else I use OneDrive. I got in the habit long ago of keeping all my data in one folder (with subfolders of course). This makes it very easy to backup. Since this doesn't include most media (music/photos), it doesn't take that much space and I don't have to pay any extra for space.

I go farther than most people probably in that I compress and encrypt the data before it is uploaded. I use a free tool for this (7-zip). That way if anyone ever got into my Onedrive, the data would be useless to them without the encryption password. I trust this more than any service made specifically for backups. Someone would have to know my OneDrive password (or hack into OneDrive) AND know my encryption password to get anything.

In addition, I take backups from my primary computer (laptop) and copy them to a desktop. Occasionally I copy a backup to a USB stick and throw it in the safe, but that is rare and inconvenient.
I do the same as you with 7 zip. Instead of OneDrive, I use Google drive. I also have 2 factor authentication setup on my Google account. I also have a local backup.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:18 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:37 am
I'm testing Backblaze with Mac OS X. I've only been using it for four weeks and don't have a definitive opinion yet.

I'm quite unhappy about what Code42 (Crashplan) did, and it's too long a story but the reason why I'm not just using up my remaining year with them is that I just upgraded to a new Mac and (for the second time) Crashplan didn't install correctly. Crashes on launch, won't even get to "unable to connect to backup engine." Last time it took several calls to support and a "try this, try that" and finally it started working... mysteriously... I didn't want to bother to go through that again for a service that is abandoning me.

I think it is bizarre and disappointing that Apple, which has offered (paid) iCloud backup for iOS for years, still doesn't offer it for Mac OS... as far as I know.
I am currently in the market for a backup service, how did you find Backblaze? Thanks!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

albireo13

Post by albireo13 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:08 am

I've been keeping files on Dropbox and also using an external HD with TimeMachine for backing up my MAC.

I am trying to minimize subscription services.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:22 am

albireo13 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:08 am
I've been keeping files on Dropbox and also using an external HD with TimeMachine for backing up my MAC.

I am trying to minimize subscription services.
Id Dropbox doing proper versioning? If not, all you really have is a mirror not a true backup.

bostondan

Post by bostondan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:28 pm

I settled on the backup strategy listed below for my Macbook Pro using Arq and Carbon Copy Cloner. I have unlimited Google Drive space as an alumni benefit of my university. It's probably overkill, but it is (nearly) completely automated and is unlikely to fail unless something crazy were to happen.

- Arq: backup to Google Drive (versioning like Time Machine - hourly)
- Arq: backup to network drive (once daily at 2AM)
- Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC): create bootable clone of laptop on network drive (twice weekly)
- Carbon Copy Cloner: create bootable clone of laptop on local external hard drive (intermittent, about once every 3 weeks, I get a reminder to plug the drive in but otherwise it remains in a drawer safe from power surges or other similar issues).

This strategy allows me to rapidly restore files that I accidentally delete or that become corrupted in some other way (restore from Arq on network drive). If my local Arq backup drive dies, I can still more slowly restore over the internet from Arq on Google drive. If my laptop drive dies, I can very quickly get back up and running using the CCC clone on the network drive or the external drive.

The only thing I have to actively do in this strategy is plug the external drive in every few weeks. I only keep that part of the system to have a hard drive that isn't constantly connected to the internet or a power source.

I also use variations of this strategy to backup family member's computers, including my wife, my sister, and my brother-in-law. For them, I don't do the external hard drive step, since I want it to be fully automated. For my brother-in-law, I only set up Arq, without CCC, since the alternative for him was to not be backed up at all.
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:36 pm

I think I key helpful think that is overlooked is MINIMIZING your 'sensitive' data footprint before you go on a backupfest.

My sensitive documents with potential personal information of value for thieves are almost all .pdfs, and even after 10 years of going all-digital, definitely don't even crack 50Gb (might even be 5Gb - it's shockingly small.) When your dataset is this small, it's very easy to encrypt the whole thing, and store multiple physical and digital copies wherever you want, and not be tied to any one provider.

Things like home videos are giant total sizes (1TB+) and I just use google photos for the offsite backup, automatic, no intervention needed.

I intentionally keep a 'light' working computer footprint (like Chromebook footprint) rather than a full-bore PC so I can keep my sensitive data hoard as light as moveable as possible. It's great - kind of like a minimalist living philosophy, except digital - the less 'stuff' you hoard, the less stuff you have to worry about losing or having misused as well as less time spent hunting down files that actually are important.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:45 pm

JBTX wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:23 pm
Carbonite
+1

We’ve had two hard drive crashes in the past few years, and Carbonite was flawless in restoring our data.

They also have an app, so I can view backed up files from my computer on my phone. Kind of low tech, but it works.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt