No Touch ID on Vanguard's mobile app for Android

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
no-more-dough

No Touch ID on Vanguard's mobile app for Android

Post by no-more-dough » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:31 pm

Fingerprint recognition for the iPhone has been an available feature on Vanguard's mobile app for the iOS system since June 2016.

However, it seems Android users are getting ignored despite repeat calls requesting touch ID and word-for-word application reviews from nearly every beleaguered Android user who is forced to manually enter passwords to monitor their account(s). Substantiating this claim is the initial lack of recognition of the shortcoming from Vanguard's own customer service representatives, who seem to warm to admission of the problem only after lengthy discussion. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist; however, I also have a hard time believing that these front-line Vanguard employees do not know of such a widely requested feature from a customer base that is nearly four time larger now than iOS.

One mobile app reviewer on Google Play points out that "clients of Charles Schwab, Merrill Lynch, T. Rowe Price, JP Morgan, TIAA, Edward Jones, and RBC" (they didn't include TD Ameritrade) all have access to Android Touch ID through their respective institutions. Like the reviewer, I too wish Vanguard, who is the second largest asset management firm in the world (according to Wiki), be forthcoming to their clients on if and when this feature will become available for Android users. Sheeeesh!

If there are any aspiring Android app developers out there, you may want to give Vanguard your resume . . . the whole organization needs you.

JohnFiscal

Re: No Touch ID on Vanguard's mobile app for Android

Post by JohnFiscal » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:40 pm

I've been using Yubi keys (2 different types) to log into Vanguard from my laptop. Works great.

I see that Yubi has contactless "near field" keys for Android phones (and new Yubi Key 5 is supposed to work contactless with iPhones). Perhaps this is a solution?

sco

Post by sco » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:23 am

How about you don't go with Vanguard if new IT features are a priority? Guess who pays for those?

BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:09 am

I agree and previously submitted a feedback form requesting the feature. Seems like a small investment and Android runs on 54% of smartphones.in the USA.

edge

Post by edge » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:25 am

I’ve had problems with the iPhone fingerprint on the VG app where it will quickly fail to authenticate multiple times and lock me out.

I don’t use it anymore.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:38 pm

sco wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:23 am
How about you don't go with Vanguard if new IT features are a priority? Guess who pays for those?
I am not aware of separate fees for people with iOS, people that use Android, people that use a computer, people that use the phone, etc. That means it is spread out so I don't see why it should favor iOS vs. Android. The fact is phone/mail users cost the most to service.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:45 pm

I switched from iPhone to Android a year or so ago. This was the single biggest pain of making that switch since my pw is a crazy long random character string. When I discovered this shortcoming, I took some comfort in a post I found somewhere which stated that Vanguard was "working on it". Hopefully they still are...

grp2c

Post by grp2c » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:47 pm

Fidelity App on android does not have touch id either

no-more-dough

Post by no-more-dough » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:15 pm

JohnFiscal wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:40 pm
I've been using Yubi keys (2 different types) to log into Vanguard from my laptop. Works great.

I see that Yubi has contactless "near field" keys for Android phones (and new Yubi Key 5 is supposed to work contactless with iPhones). Perhaps this is a solution?
Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it. However, it would be the first for me in having to look into a feature to satisfy a need to securely log in at ease using a third party solution. Even three of the tiny brick and motor credit unions in my local have managed to provide their customers a fingerprint login feature on their mobile apps.
Last edited by no-more-dough on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no-more-dough

Post by no-more-dough » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:55 pm

sco wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:23 am
I really really wish to stick with Vanguard, hence my frustration.

As for the cost, I hear you, and your reasoning seems sound except for the fact that they spent money on instituting a "2-step verification" process with web campaign including the fancy video(s) to make the sale. Now we have extra login steps that have us waiting for texts or automated phone calls from a system that requires continued resources to keep in place. All this, while a once-and-done fingerprint recognition feature goes unrealized.

You should watch the video. I did. I couldn't bare to think of wasting one cent spent on the five minute fifty-four second return on my investment. :wink: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJvFAHLGTNQ

I apologize for the sarcasm. The longer I spend trying to find a good explanation for an exclusion such as this, the more riled up I become. I would hope that fellow Android users like myself, who feel that this feature is not some big feat for a company of this magnitude, call on a weekly basis to provide a request for this feature. Don't allow them to blow you off. Have them file a support ticket to be sure that the request goes farther than the person your talking to. Their number is 1-800-345-1344. Hitting zero at the prompt gets you to the next available customer service agent.

sco

Post by sco » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:52 pm

Their IT is pretty limited, that is really all it amounts to. They did two factor because someone decided that was important. Other things went to the back of the list.

2 factor is a pain, I agree. But after implemented most of the pain is on the user side.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:00 pm

Now that I have a phone with Touch ID I really miss it on the Vanguard site. I was slightly annoyed when Vanguard didn't play nice.

Now that I see Vanguard supports it on IOS I am more than slightly annoyed!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet