Program/App to Display Family Tree (Branching Diagram)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Canopus

Post by Canopus » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:06 am

I have become interested to tracing my ancestry. I have gathered information from printed materials, online sources, and conversations with relatives. Now I wish to plot my family tree. I could do so the old fashioned way with pen and paper and a sketched branching diagram, but the final product would be impossible to send electronically to relatives.

Is there any program/app that would enable me to sketch this family tree (in the form of a branching diagram with annotations) electronically?

Thank you.

Canopus

Edit: typo
Last edited by Canopus on Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

targ

Re: Program/App to Display Family Tree (Branching Diagram)

Post by targ » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:11 am

There are numerous ones out there.

Look into GRAMPS. It's open source and cross-platform.

If you are interested in going a bit further, there is an iOS app called FamilyTree. It's also free and ties into the Mormon database. Also accessible via web browser.

And of course, for Mac types, my personal favorite is Mac FamilyTree.
The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:42 am

At work we use MS Visio to create flowcharts all the time. If I ever need to do a family tree that's what I'd use. It is quite easy.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:04 pm

Whatever program you use, check to see if it can export it to a GEDCOM file. This is the format that is commonly used among genealogical software for transferring information between software platforms. This way if it doesn't meet your needs, you don't have to retype it again into another software.

Canopus

Post by Canopus » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:44 pm

OP here.

The intro video for Mac Family Tree makes a statement that "all charts and diagrams can be printed, exported, or turned into a website you can share with your family."

I am a Mac user, but the relatives with whom I wish to share this information are PC users. For those familiar with Mac Family Tree, how well does this feature (exporting charts and diagrams and creating a webpage) actually work? Is this easy to do? How tech-savvy does one have to be?

Canopus

James2

Post by James2 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:28 pm

I’ve used online, PC, and Mac genealogy programs, both paid and open source.

If you are on a Mac and are just getting started then Mac Family Tree is a pretty good choice, the creation of a web page wit the family tree is simple as it is hosted by the Family Tree company. I also upload my Tree gedcom file so if any of my relatives want to download it then they can.

James

Mike83

Post by Mike83 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:02 pm

For your situation I would recommend ancestry.com.

--There are settings to keep your information non-public, yet still share with invited guests AND collaborate, and platform agnostic
--Access to tons of low hanging fruit is available to graft onto your tree
--If your interest level builds, you can add (for example) european content or newspaper archive subscription add ons
--less need to worry about backups and file maintenance
--subscription fees yes, but no fees for annual upgrades
--you can suspend your account or ramp it up and down and not lose your input as your interest waxes and wanes. For example rejoin for a moth every December, then suspend.

I have 16,000 'relatives' on ancestry.com added over 8 years. From time to time I have exported them to all of the programs mentioned here by others. Those programs are very good. But especially if you are just starting up I would keep it simple and stick with ancestry. It does have limitations, but it will take you years to experience them.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:34 pm

You should try the RootsMagic software. They have a free version that you can download. It is very functional. You can use that to print out pedigree charts to a pdf that you could mail to people.

You can get an upgraded version for around $50 that will do more things like print wall charts.

One thing you might check on is if your local library has a library subscription to Ancestry.com. At my library I can take my laptop into the library and while I am on the libraries WiFi network I can access the library version of Ancestry.com.

Canopus

Post by Canopus » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:42 pm

Does Ancestry.com allow input of data from other sources (printed materials, information from relatives, other web sites, etc.) in constructing a family tree?

Canopus

mattfr

Post by mattfr » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:58 pm

Yes, you can input data from external sources on Ancestry.com.

For what it’s worth, I use FamilySearch.org. Their free access to digitized archives helped me solve a multi-generational family conundrum reaching back to my great grandparents. It helped heal some of my grandmother’s deep emotional wounds.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:41 pm

Canopus wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:42 pm
Does Ancestry.com allow input of data from other sources (printed materials, information from relatives, other web sites, etc.) in constructing a family tree?

Canopus
Yes.

One problem with Ancestry is that it is subscription based so you have to keep paying for access to it. If you let the subscription expire you will only have limited access to it then. I have not tried it without an active subscription to see just how it works then.

The Roots Magic software will let you create your family tree in Roots Magis then upload it and the source material to Ancestry. It will also let you download information from Ancestry into your Rootsmagic family tree. I did pay for an Ancestry subscription for a few months months but I have let it expire.