TV recommendation for my father

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fsrph

TV recommendation for my father

Post by fsrph » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:52 pm

Looking for TV recommdations. This TV would be for my father. He is elderly and enjoys watching sports and TV shows.

Criteria:
He has no interest in using the TV to connect to the internet.
He would watch thru Verizon standard definition. I would see if he would try a high def feed from Verizon but I'm not sure if he's interested.
Would like size around 50-55 inches.
He doesn't like when the TV picture has black bands on the top and bottom of the picture. I don't know if these are from the TV or how the program is being broadcast.

I dont know if non smart TV's are still made. Can't seem to find any. I believe an LCD or LED should have at least a 120 refresh rate for watching sports. Is that true, that a 120 refresh rate will not show blur when watching sports? Then I see terms like "effective refresh rate" which confuses me. I'd consider a plasma but hard to find and expensive. Any ideas?

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

delamer

Re: TV recommendation for my father

Post by delamer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:14 pm

We have Verizon Fios.

If you see the black bands on a high def channel in a high def TV, it is because of the way the show is being broadcast.

If you watch a standard def channel on a high def TV, then you can get the black bands.

The major channels are available both in high def and standard def with a DVR/set top box. (Channel 600 in high def will be available on channel 100 in standard def.) Digital adapters only do standard def.

Obviously, I don’t know if the above is universally true.

We have a Samsung 55” LCD that we are very happy with. It is a smart TV but we rarely use that feature. I am not sure of the refresh rate but our set is a few years old, and sports broadcasts in high def are excellent.

NoHeat

Post by NoHeat » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:25 pm

fsrph wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:52 pm
Looking for TV recommdations. This TV would be for my father. He is elderly ...
Simplicity of remote control operation might be more important than refresh rate and other picture quality issues.

My 91-year old relative was unable to watch TV for years because he couldn’t sort out the remote controls, cable box and selecting video inputs. He could still drive, use an ipad to play card games, and live independently, but watching TV was too difficult. It’s weird, that operating a TV has become so hard.

I recently got him watching again, through two efforts: Firstly, marking a half dozen of the nearly hundred buttons on the two remotes, using colored fingernail polish, so that he wouldn’t struggle to remember which to push. Secondly, I practiced with him, overcoming among other things confusion arising from having not one but two remotes, one for cable and one for the TV. Another challenge was overcoming snafus when menus unexpectedly appear on the screen, due to pushing the wrong button.
Last edited by NoHeat on Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:33 pm

NoHeat wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:25 pm
fsrph wrote:
Simplicity of remote control operation might be more important than refresh rate and other picture quality issues.

My 91-year old relative was unable to watch TV for years because he couldn’t sort out the remote controls, cable box and selecting video inputs. He could still drive, use an ipad to play card games, and live independently, but watching TV was too difficult. It’s weird, that operating a TV has become so hard.

I recently got him watching again, through two efforts: Firstly, marking a half dozen of the nearly hundred buttons on the two remotes, using colored fingernail polish, so that he wouldn’t struggle to remember which to push. Secondly, I practiced with him. It was confusing to have two remotes, one for cable and one for the TV. Another challenge was overcoming snafus when menus unexpectedly appear on the screen, due to pushing the wrong button.
+1

Simple TV with the largest acceptable screen size & simple remote.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:38 pm

fsrph wrote:
He doesn't like when the TV picture has black bands on the top and bottom of the picture. I don't know if these are from the TV or how the program is being broadcast.
The screen ratio is different on the old standard broadcast screens and the new TV's so there will normally be empty space on the sides. There may be a setting that will allow you to stretch the picture to get rid of the side bands but that looks horrible since it distorts people

The solution is to get an HD signal. If he has cable TV then you should review his cable bill since you can usually get them to drop the rate a lot if you call and threaten to cancel.
fsrph wrote:
Any ideas?
It would be easy to overanalyze what to get. If you buy a TV at Costco it normally comes with a two year warranty and they will double that to four years if you buy it with a Costco Credit card. Any of them will be fine for him. When I bought my last TV I bought it at Costco and the had a number of models at the warehouse which did not show up on their website so if going to a Costco is convenient I would just go there in person and pick out a lower price one.

If you do not buy it at Costco then check your credit cards and make sure to use one that doubles your warranty.

There are several "gotcha"s to watch out for;
1) Bringing the TV home in a normal car can be tricky. A pickup, SUV, minivan etc would work better.
2) He may need a new TV stand or wall mount to hold the TV
3) Some of the new "TV's" don't include a tuner to receive stations with and antenna. If he has cable this is not a problem.
4) The tiny speakers on all TV's now are basically worthless. Plan on getting a basic soundbar for him. Getting a sound bar with the same brand name will likely make the remotes easier to use.
5) If he has other things like DVD players, games, etc then before you buy the TV make sure that there are enough connectors to hook it up to the TV.

If his hearing is not that good then consider getting him headphones like these.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS120 ... headphones

My wife wears hearing aids and these really help her hear the TV.

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:43 pm

Once the TV is programmed onto the cable remote, there is no need for 2 remotes.

The nail polish Is a good idea.

The problem my mother had was occasionally pushing the source button and changing the source. And then no picture.

And she would assume then that the TV wasn’t working or that the cable was out...

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:00 pm

What does he watch?

Toshiba makes a series of 4K TVs with Amazon Fire Tv built in. They are reasonable. 49" and 55" versions (smaller ones too). $329 and $479 respectively.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-49 ... Id=6211009

SlingTV, Hulu Live or Sony (Playstation) Vue TV might be good, viable options.

My 75 year old in-laws managed to learn Hulu Live (with Amazon Fire TV) very recently after a move closer to us.

Remote is simple. Almost like a mouse. Voice commands. Hold top button, say “Tune to espn”, "Tune to ABC", etc. My mother-in-law said "well, I think I can do that". :wink:

Philo is another option. $16/month.

Channels are all HD. No stretching or black bars. My parents continue to watch SD cable on a 50" tv. Stretch mode. My mom asks "why are they so short and wide?". Well, they aren't you are stretching a square picture. They pay for the HD box but refuse to learn a new remote. Sigh.

Newer might be easier. Use Verizon for internet only. Or if you have a good cable provider, use them for ONLY internet. 25mb service or 50mb wherever the best value/price is.

Lots of good options. Very reasonable pricing.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:50 am, edited 8 times in total.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:01 pm

delamer wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:43 pm
Once the TV is programmed onto the cable remote, there is no need for 2 remotes.

The problem my mother had was occasionally pushing the source button and changing the source. And then no picture.

And she would assume then that the TV wasn’t working or that the cable was out...
DW put very small pieces of Velcro on MIL's remote. MIL has macular degeneration, so the Velcro works well for key location.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:10 pm

I would get an LG or Samsung from Best Buy, Amazon, or Costco. Whoever's cheapest. If you can wait until Black Friday you should get a good deal.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-5 ... inch+4k+tv

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-55NU7100 ... 55+inch+tv

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:18 pm

I am just a bit curious why he doesn't want to use the HDMI output from the FIOS box. Just asking. There is no cost involved and FIOS automatically tunes to the HD version of each channel. It's actually difficult I found to find the SD versions of any channel that carries HD.

You say he is not interested. Is this perhaps he believes HD from FIOS costs more? It does not.
Thanks.

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:52 pm

delamer wrote:

Ah yes that source button on the remote has been the source of many calls from my elderly mother telling me her new TV wasnt working again.Hoping someone comes up with the Jitterbug TV I could get her.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:43 am

I'd try and get him HDTV, its a huge improvement.

TVs I can't help with, I still love my plasma tvs.

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:58 am

I have the current top of the line Samsung and the remote has maybe 10 buttons. We use YouTubeTV and it's installed as the default app.

Literally the only buttons used on the single remote are power, the scroll wheel, enter and back.

It's much simplier than any cable service remote. The channel list interface is also superior than any cable service.

Maybe worth checking out.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:30 am

cashmoney wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:52 pm
delamer wrote:

Ah yes that source button on the remote has been the source of many calls from my elderly mother telling me her new TV wasnt working again.Hoping someone comes up with the Jitterbug TV I could get her.
Today's remotes are the bane of the silent generation. I've had to drive over to my elderly relative's house several times to untangle them for her, and I don't see any alternative.

Things were better when you actually had to get up off the couch to change the channel.
Last edited by Nicolas on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:42 am

I applaud your efforts. I suspect the simpler the set up & remote the better.
I extensively researched newer tv's about 3-5 yrs back. A 120/refresh rate was selected & optimum then, I'd suspect you want to research the best available today, 240, maybe?

Samsung/Vizio were two of the top selections. TCL has become a top tier selection also. I suspect the avsforums.com might help your search. Your fathers a lucky guy to have you assisting him.
Good Luck!
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:48 am

We have a Samsung and it has wifi. It has a great picture and best of all the remote is probably the easiest to use out of any we've had. It seemlessly interacts with cable and our Bluray player (yes we still use it...lol) My elderly mil can even figure out how to use it when were away.

I do agree the speakers in almost all the new TVs lack good sound quality due to the limitations with the thin design. A good quality soundbar may be required to boost levels especially if he has any hearing issues.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions- ... u7000fxza/

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:17 am

Several points:

1) I have experience giving an elderly person "new-fangled" technology. It was a miserable failure. My FIL never had cable, always had a rotating antenna on the roof, and used digital converter boxes when analog TV went away. He was able to rotate the antenna, tune the digital box, and use multiple remotes. When he moved into an apartment, he wanted all the cable channels. The remote defeated him, as did the concept of "on demand" - he didn't understand that there weren't 1,000 VCRs with lots of people putting tapes in. Or that he could pause a program to go to the bathroom and not burn out the tape. Or that some cable channels broadcast the same content day in and day out (local meeting channel).

2) What you think is great technology they hate. We gave my FIL a 32 inch LED TV. Ultimately ended up replacing it with a 25 inch tube TV and he was delighted. If you choose to do that, you can likely get one free on Craigslist. Add a digital converter box and OTA signals, and he might be all set.

pochax

Post by pochax » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:30 am

You did not give a price range. if you just want a very good "budget" pick, would suggest the TCL 6-series on sale at amazon and best buy. it will run ~$650 for a 55" screen. yes, it may have more smart TV stuff built in than he needs (has Roku's operating system) but the picture quality to price ratio is very good based on several objective review sites (for example: Rtings.com) and it will give him the flexibility should he eventually decide to go the internet/streaming route without needing to buy additional boxes/sticks.

if price is no object and picture quality is the absolute priority, would recommend an LG OLED TV. but a 55" will run ~$2000. But the blacks are so deep there is no comparison with standard LED technology.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:59 am

For sports especially HD is way better than SD. I have dinner at a friends house from time to time and he has a 30 inch SD TV. I can barely watch it after viewing sports on my 45" HD TV.

I've got FIOS and only need one remote to power the TV and set top box on, and then key in the 3 digit channel to get the right HD channel with that same remote.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:18 am

We bought a really nice Sony 930 smart tv in the Spring. I have tested the smart features but we do not use them. My wife handles the cable remote fine but does not know how to deal with the TV remote. Occasionally, the smart TV will prompt for something. I just push the TV button the TV remote. My wife has learned to do that but is reluctant to do anything else with the smart TV. The smart TV features are unnecessary for her and to some extent me. Based upon our experience, I would recommend getting a TV that has fewer features and is easy to operate.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:29 am

NoHeat wrote:
fsrph wrote:

I recently got him watching again, through two efforts: Firstly, marking a half dozen of the nearly hundred buttons on the two remotes, using colored fingernail polish, so that he wouldn’t struggle to remember which to push. Secondly, I practiced with him, overcoming among other things confusion arising from having not one but two remotes, one for cable and one for the TV. Another challenge was overcoming snafus when menus unexpectedly appear on the screen, due to pushing the wrong button.
Based on personal experience with my parents this effectively summarizes the key issues. If they cannot easily and effectively make the TV do what they want, it doesn't matter about the picture quality.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:34 am

rgs92 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:18 pm
I am just a bit curious why he doesn't want to use the HDMI output from the FIOS box. Just asking. There is no cost involved and FIOS automatically tunes to the HD version of each channel. It's actually difficult I found to find the SD versions of any channel that carries HD.

You say he is not interested. Is this perhaps he believes HD from FIOS costs more? It does not.
Thanks.
There is no FIOS in our area only standard cable.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:38 am

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:33 pm
NoHeat wrote:
fsrph wrote:

I recently got him watching again, through two efforts: Firstly, marking a half dozen of the nearly hundred buttons on the two remotes, using colored fingernail polish, so that he wouldn’t struggle to remember which to push. Secondly, I practiced with him. It was confusing to have two remotes, one for cable and one for the TV. Another challenge was overcoming snafus when menus unexpectedly appear on the screen, due to pushing the wrong button.
+1

Simple TV with the largest acceptable screen size & simple remote.
The OP might consider buying a simple universal remote to help with this. I am thinking the $20 cheapo variety with big buttons, not one designed to fly the starship enterprise.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:40 am

rich126 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:43 am
I'd try and get him HDTV, its a huge improvement.

TVs I can't help with, I still love my plasma tvs.
I think this might be the answer. If he will be watching SD TV on a new HDTV and the black bars are present he won't like it. I have a Samsung plasma. It was reasonably priced and the picture is terrific. Can't find them anymore.

Francis

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:41 am

Steelersfan wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:59 am
For sports especially HD is way better than SD. I have dinner at a friends house from time to time and he has a 30 inch SD TV. I can barely watch it after viewing sports on my 45" HD TV.

I've got FIOS and only need one remote to power the TV and set top box on, and then key in the 3 digit channel to get the right HD channel with that same remote.
Agreed, Not sure what sports we are talking about, but watching hockey or baseball in SD is close to impossible. You can't see the puck or ball very well.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:45 am

aspirit wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:42 am
I extensively researched newer tv's about 3-5 yrs back. A 120/refresh rate was selected & optimum then, I'd suspect you want to research the best available today, 240, maybe?

Samsung/Vizio were two of the top selections. TCL has become a top tier selection also. I suspect the avsforums.com might help your search. Your fathers a lucky guy to have you assisting him.
Good Luck!
Thanks. I think the best solution is to upgrade Verizon's service to HD. Then he could see the full experience of HD. I did see some TCL TVs in stores and liked their specs but I've never heard of them before.

Francis

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:48 am

aspirit wrote:

Good Luck!
Forget about refresh rates. The manufacturers have made this a basically meaningless spec (using all sorts of processing to simulate higher refresh rates on what are actually 60Hz panels). There are perfectly decent TVs that have "just" a 60Hz panel. Any modern TV with 1080p resolution and the right programming will be a dramatic step up in quality for this use case.

If buying a TV without Roku built-in, a Roku stick or box still makes a great addition. Sling (available on Roku) is almost certainly cheaper than what Verizon charges for TV, and it's decent quality (HD) as long as you have a reasonable internet connection. My Roku stick has a very simple remote that also controls the TV sound and power. One click turns everything on and launches Roku, no futzing. Or you can get one of those universal remotes with huge buttons.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:53 am

02nz wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:48 am
aspirit wrote:

Good Luck!
Forget about refresh rates. The manufacturers have made this a basically meaningless spec (using all sorts of processing to simulate higher refresh rates on what are actually 60Hz panels). There are perfectly decent TVs that have "just" a 60Hz panel. Any modern TV with 1080p resolution and the right programming will be a dramatic step up in quality for this use case.
+1 This poster is correct about refresh rates. Also AFAIK, there isn't anybody broadcasting above 60Hz either.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:54 am

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:29 am
NoHeat wrote:
fsrph wrote:

Based on personal experience with my parents this effectively summarizes the key issues. If they cannot easily and effectively make the TV do what they want, it doesn't matter about the picture quality.
Same here with my mom.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:57 am

pochax wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:30 am
You did not give a price range. if you just want a very good "budget" pick, would suggest the TCL 6-series on sale at amazon and best buy. it will run ~$650 for a 55" screen. yes, it may have more smart TV stuff built in than he needs (has Roku's operating system) but the picture quality to price ratio is very good based on several objective review sites (for example: Rtings.com) and it will give him the flexibility should he eventually decide to go the internet/streaming route without needing to buy additional boxes/sticks.

if price is no object and picture quality is the absolute priority, would recommend an LG OLED TV. but a 55" will run ~$2000. But the blacks are so deep there is no comparison with standard LED technology.
I didn't give a price range because if my father plans to watch in SD does the TV matter? I think perhaps it's best to upgrade to Verizon HD so the TVs resolution can be enjoyed. I saw TCL TVs in stores and liked their specs but I wasn't familiar with the brand.

Francis

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:01 am

One other thing I ran into is some new TVs don't come with a tuner. If you want to watch with an antenna I suppose you have to buy a tuner too.

I also want to make a correction. I was mistaken, my father's cable is with Comcast not Verizon.

Francis
Last edited by fsrph on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:07 am

fsrph wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:01 am
One other thing I ran into is some new TVs don't come with a tuner. If you want to watch with an antenna I suppose you have to buy a tuner too.

Francis
Technically, you can't market something as a tv if it doesn't have a tv tuner, but Vizio and others have items called 'displays' or 'tuner free displays' that don't have tuners. Be careful if you are in store with someone because they can confuse those quite easily. You are right about OTA needing a tuner.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:09 am

MichCPA wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:07 am
fsrph wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:01 am

Francis
Technically, you can't market something as a tv if it doesn't have a tv tuner, but Vizio and others have items called 'displays' or 'tuner free displays' that don't have tuners. Be careful if you are in store with someone because they can confuse those quite easily. You are right about OTA needing a tuner.
Yes, Vizio was the brand I saw without a tuner.

Francis

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:21 am

I have TCL (not this model) they're cheap and they work.

https://smile.amazon.com/TCL-55S405-55- ... B01MTGM5I9
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:33 am

If your Best Buy still sells TVs (not all do anymore), Look at Insignia. It's Best Buy's house brand and the easiest to bargain way down. My son used to work at BB and was able to go in any store, punch in his employee code and see the employee price. Where an LG might be discounted 15% for him, the Insignia was 65%. Ask the sales guy or manager for a lower price.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Momus

Post by Momus » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:03 am

Buy 65 inch is the sweet spot, you can get them for less than $400-700. Brand matter less and less these days. If you aren't picky, it's for your elderly (most likely can't tell a hint of a difference between 4k and 1080p), just get the cheapest one you can with the biggest size. Refresh rate for 120hz is good but really... Not necessary. Taylor this purchase to a 70-90 yr old eyes (not a 30 yr old eyes) and their tech savvyness.

My mom and dad have no clue about pictures quality, refresh rate and stuff like that, any big TV look good to them so who cares what others are saying. Bigger is better in this case.

Don't buy 50-60 inch, they are just too small nowadays. No one comes to your place and look at the TV, and say "this TV looks like trash...". As long as it's big, people like it.

Tuner... If they advertise "home theater display", they don't have a tuner, so skip those.

Black Friday right around the corner, buy 65 inch online when it's on sale.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:26 am

fsrph wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:57 am
pochax wrote:

I didn't give a price range because if my father plans to watch in SD does the TV matter? I think perhaps it's best to upgrade to Verizon HD so the TVs resolution can be enjoyed. I saw TCL TVs in stores and liked their specs but I wasn't familiar with the brand.

Francis
With a TV in the 55" range, standard def looks bad. I'd pop for the hi-def. If nothing else, you'll be happier every time you are visiting and watching something with him.

If he likes sports, hi-def is really far far better. Unless his vision is so bad he can't see much.

One poster said bigger is always better. Not quite. The optimal size depends on how far away you are sitting. You can google viewing distance versus size to get some recommendations. A really big TV in a small room can indeed be "too big."

pochax

Post by pochax » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:29 am

fsrph wrote:

Francis
at some point, price always matters, doesn't it? but i agree, you are talking about SD and using a TV tuner or basic cable for someone who is not a tech enthusiast (picture quality critic) so i would go TCL. they are the 3rd largest creator of TV panels. they are now a very well respected brand. as with all manufacturers (incl. samsung, LG, Vizio, etc.), there could be some faulty units but that is what a warranty is for. Most TVs do the same things these days so really price, size, and picture quality are the primary variables in the shopping decision. if you are still considering the TCL, read reviews (CNET, Rtings, the wirecutter, and consumer reports are all reputable sources of objective reviews) or watch video reviews on youtube. i think you will see that the TCL models consistently are seen in a favorable light in terms of value (quality per dollar spent).

and, yes, as all have said, HD is better than SD. the aspect ratio (16:9 with black bars vs. 4:3 SD) can be compensated by the size of the screen. if he thinks the picture of a HD looks too small on a 55", then he can get a 65" and it will look bigger.

Momus

Post by Momus » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:37 am

TN_Boy wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:26 am
fsrph wrote:
pochax wrote:

Francis
With a TV in the 55" range, standard def looks bad. I'd pop for the hi-def. If nothing else, you'll be happier every time you are visiting and watching something with him.

If he likes sports, hi-def is really far far better. Unless his vision is so bad he can't see much.

One poster said bigger is always better. Not quite. The optimal size depends on how far away you are sitting. You can google viewing distance versus size to get some recommendations. A really big TV in a small room can indeed be "too big."
True for some extent, if you buy 4k TV you need to sit even closer to even see pixel (again for elderly, they probably can't even see it). 65 inch will need 5.4-13 feet viewing distance from 4k to 1080p is the op. 5.4 feet is incredibly small room. Most room will have 5.4 feet distance to view 65 inch 4k TV as optimum viewing distance, so my recommendation is still valid.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-YEBht9gt1 ... ement.html

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:52 am

Reading half way through the replies, I am suddenly very glad I got rid of my tv years ago. I did look for a replacement small tv but they all seemed to be made of that plastic that has an outgassing smell.

For what it's worth, my mother in her eighties was very happy with Cox because when she had trouble with the tv, Cox customer service by phone would lead her through things step by step to get things working again.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:00 pm

Watty wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:38 pm

If his hearing is not that good then consider getting him headphones like these.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS120 ... headphones

My wife wears hearing aids and these really help her hear the TV.
I have used the 120s for years, I like that they are RF phones meaning you can walk around the house and still pick up clear reception as opposed to needing to have a clear path from phones to TV sound source.
They can feel heavy after a while, need some getting used to. I do not use my hearing aids when wearing the headset. Works just fine for me.
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:29 pm

Just bought a 65 inch Sceptre 4K TV from Walmart for $450. There are no smart functions whatsoever on the TV. It is a bare bone bottom of the line worst picture quality of anything you can buy today. But guess what? It's way brighter, sharper, better looking than the near top of the line HDTV that it replaced from 8 years ago that cost twice as much. Because the bezels are thinner the Sceptre is physically the same size and weight as the 47" I had before even though I have much more screen. Keep that in mind when you're thinking about replacing a TV and worried it won't fit in the same space. I'm quite happy with the purchase. If they ever start broadcasting sports in 4k, I will be ready.

Most everything broadcast is 30 hz and most any TV runs up to 60 hz. 120 won't be relevant for a while yet. So you can pretty much ignore this spec.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:15 pm

Momus wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:37 am
TN_Boy wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:26 am

Stuff deleted ....

True for some extent, if you buy 4k TV you need to sit even closer to even see pixel (again for elderly, they probably can't even see it). 65 inch will need 5.4-13 feet viewing distance from 4k to 1080p is the op. 5.4 feet is incredibly small room. Most room will have 5.4 feet distance to view 65 inch 4k TV as optimum viewing distance, so my recommendation is still valid.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-YEBht9gt1 ... ement.html
I wasn't saying a 65" was too large, I was trying to say you want to know how far away you are sitting. And it's not just whether or not you are so close you can see pixels. Sitting very close to a really big TV can become overwhelming -- can't take in the entire picture easily. And in a small room, depending on where the viewing area is, a 65" really might be too big (yes, there are such rooms).

And the other point of course, while all these TVs have become ridiculously cheap for the viewing quality you get, if the room is small and dad is sitting close, you still might save a bit of money with something smaller than 65".

Momus

Post by Momus » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:02 pm

mmmodem wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:29 pm
Just bought a 65 inch Sceptre 4K TV from Walmart for $450. There are no smart functions whatsoever on the TV. It is a bare bone bottom of the line worst picture quality of anything you can buy today. But guess what? It's way brighter, sharper, better looking than the near top of the line HDTV that it replaced from 8 years ago that cost twice as much. Because the bezels are thinner the Sceptre is physically the same size and weight as the 47" I had before even though I have much more screen. Keep that in mind when you're thinking about replacing a TV and worried it won't fit in the same space. I'm quite happy with the purchase. If they ever start broadcasting sports in 4k, I will be ready.

Most everything broadcast is 30 hz and most any TV runs up to 60 hz. 120 won't be relevant for a while yet. So you can pretty much ignore this spec.
I would recommend this as well option as well. Sceptre 65 inch $430 with Walmart. I don't think I can get any cheaper than that for a basic non smart TV even during black Friday (probably save $100). Just buy a roku $50 if you want a smart TV later.

If you want slightly better brand than bottom brands, buy a Vizio. But then again, it won't matter much for elderly.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:23 pm

pochax wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:29 am
fsrph wrote:

Francis
at some point, price always matters, doesn't it? but i agree, you are talking about SD and using a TV tuner or basic cable for someone who is not a tech enthusiast (picture quality critic) so i would go TCL. they are the 3rd largest creator of TV panels. they are now a very well respected brand. as with all manufacturers (incl. samsung, LG, Vizio, etc.), there could be some faulty units but that is what a warranty is for. Most TVs do the same things these days so really price, size, and picture quality are the primary variables in the shopping decision. if you are still considering the TCL, read reviews (CNET, Rtings, the wirecutter, and consumer reports are all reputable sources of objective reviews) or watch video reviews on youtube. i think you will see that the TCL models consistently are seen in a favorable light in terms of value ( per dollar spent).

and, yes, as all have said, HD is better than SD. the aspect ratio (16:9 with black bars vs. 4:3 SD) can be compensated by the size of the screen. if he thinks the picture of a HD looks too small on a 55", then he can get a 65" and it will look bigger.
Yes, price does matter. The point I was trying to make if if he views in SD a cheaper set will be just as good as an expensive one.

Francis

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:29 pm

fsrph wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:23 pm
pochax wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:29 am
fsrph wrote:

Francis
at some point, price always matters, doesn't it? but i agree, you are talking about SD and using a TV tuner or basic cable for someone who is not a tech enthusiast (picture quality critic) so i would go TCL. they are the 3rd largest creator of TV panels. they are now a very well respected brand. as with all manufacturers (incl. samsung, LG, Vizio, etc.), there could be some faulty units but that is what a warranty is for. Most TVs do the same things these days so really price, size, and picture quality are the primary variables in the shopping decision. if you are still considering the TCL, read reviews (CNET, Rtings, the wirecutter, and consumer reports are all reputable sources of objective reviews) or watch video reviews on youtube. i think you will see that the TCL models consistently are seen in a favorable light in terms of value ( per dollar spent).

Yes, price does matter. The point I was trying to make if if he views in SD a cheaper set will be just as good as an expensive one.

Francis
If you buy a big flatscreen TV, SD, well, sucks. My parents had a nice big screen TV. From their cable package, you could access both the SD and HD version of the same channel. So you could do A/B comparisons. It's possible that I'm pickier than some ... but to my eye, SD looks truly awful on a big TV. You can really see the lack of resolution. With SD, I'd rather have a smaller TV and sit closer. Seriously.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:30 pm

Momus wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:02 pm

Just buy a roku $50 if you want a smart TV later.
Exactly. I bought a Samsung plasma non smart TV for myself. Added a Sony Blu-ray player and it streams great. I wish plasmas were still made.

Francis

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:20 pm

pochax wrote:

OLED isn't going to make the SD picture any better. OP, you do want HD. It's also the best solution to getting rid of those black bars. And in the few channels where they aren't transmitting in wide, most tv's and cable boxes have stretch and zoom functions to fill more of the screen. Sometimes, you zoom so much you lose some of the content, but that may not matter to some.

LOL! $2000? $650? What is this 2008 prices? If you want to splurge, get a 55" Samsung on sale for $399 at Fry's today (likely sold out, but also likely to see similar or better BF deals). Or go cheap with a $260 Walmart Sceptre. Use a credit card warranty and it should lasts you 2-3 years. When it breaks, just buy whatever is on sale then.

https://www.frys.com/ads/view-all-store-ads
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-55-C ... U/46784939

Hisense 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) 4K Ultra HD Roku LED LCD TV
Item 9557050Model 55R7050E
Your Price 349.99
https://www.costco.com/Hisense-55%22-Cl ... 12585.html

If you use the costco visa, you get 4 (2+2) years warranty. https://www.costco.com/concierge-two-pl ... ranty.html

BTW, at 50" they have a TCL with Roku for $320 and an LG for $380. https://www.costco.com/44-inch-tvs-thro ... h-tvs.html

Black Friday deals will be even better!