Black Friday is coming.. what's on your list?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dziuniek

Re: Black Friday is coming.. what's on your list?

Post by dziuniek » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

New headunit and speakers for the MR2-S ... just maybe....

Aslo... google chromecast, maybe.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:38 pm

We have been going on the Polar Express on BF for the past few years so I would have to buy online if I needed anything. We want a few big ticket items this year like a tv, laptop, and a sound bar, but I'm not buying stripped down Black Friday versions. FYI, the ads are starting to come out. Harbor Freight and True Value are already out.

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:45 pm

Tires for my Impala.
Not sure how much longer I'll have this car so I'm hesitant to buy top of the line Michelins. May get the SUV I've wanted for some time before I'm too old to enjoy it. :shock: OEM tires were Goodyear LS2, and 2nd set was the same after getting a buy 3 get one free deal on them.

dual

Post by dual » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:58 pm

Faith20879 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:06 am
A Windows laptop. The current Windows 7 failed to boot up 1 out of every 4 times.

Usage:
1. Log into financial institutes ONLY, no browsing.
2. MS Word.
3. MS Excel.
4. Viewing photos, no editing planned.

Hoping fellow BHs will come through with some on-sale heads-up.
Check out the small form factor PCs at Ebay. They have a lot coming off lease with big companies.
For example, this $55 including shipping Win7Pro HP with 4 GB RAM, 250 GB disk drive
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Compaq-6300 ... :rk:3:pf:0

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:29 pm

dual wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:58 pm
Check out the small form factor PCs at Ebay. They have a lot coming off lease with big companies.
For example, this $55 including shipping Win7Pro HP with 4 GB RAM, 250 GB disk drive
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Compaq-6300 ... :rk:3:pf:0
Thank you very much!

Checking it out right now.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:40 pm

I'll grab a couple Sonos speakers for our new living room if they drop. Have wanted to try them out for a year or two. Also will get a couple more echoes to have an intercom system. But I've mapped out what I'd plan to get in advance. I'll check online while having morning coffee and then be done with it.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:05 pm

This is the first year in many that I will be home for Turkey Day, so the plan is to stock up on socks. Fred Meyers (aka Freddies) has a sale on BF that always includes socks at half price. The aisles are filled with tables and boxes of socks. Single pairs. Bulk packages. Sporty. Dressy. The works. I hope the event is still as sock-ful as I remember. As I said, I haven't been in town to take advantage for several years.

That's it. Then will stay away from malls until after 25 December.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:29 am

Watching movies on Netflix while enjoying coffee.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Foredeck

Post by Foredeck » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:50 am

"Nothing", is on my Black Friday list. Try and avoid shopping at all costs.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:53 am

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:31 pm
A Wolf gas cooking range. Saving money by cooking healthy food at home.
Unfortunately Subzero/Wolf are price-controlled, so you won't be seeing a BF deal. The salesman we have bought all our appliances and electronics from for the past 15 years gives us great discounts on almost everything....but not our Wolf range. He can discount delivery/installation and extended service plans, but not the unit itself. Just isn't allowed. :( That said, we love love LOVE our Wolf, and would buy it again in a heartbeat--though if we were doing it again, we'd get a 4-burner/double griddle instead of the 6-burner/single griddle that we got. I'm sure you'll be equally happy with yours.

In my household, we've just decided that we need/want a Peloton exercise bike--the first time I can recall not being down on exercise equipment and sure we wouldn't use it (which has proven to be true for everything except the treadmill that my wife does actually use). I think I'll actually use the thing. Most years their BF sale consists of a free accessories kit that they normally charge $259 for, so we're waiting until then.

hightower

Post by hightower » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:54 am

I'm working an extra shift at my side hustle job. I plan on making extra dough and spending nothing. Now if I could only control my wife's spending, lol...

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:08 pm

MichCPA wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:18 pm
htdrag11 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:37 pm
DW's Nexus 5 is a bit old, so maybe a new cellphone. It could be another droid or even a cheap iPhone. She is agnostic.
I loved my N5. Perfect size, quick, very easy to grip, and pretty durable. Camera was...not great. How have you managed to survive on that battery though?
Barely. Sometimes the battery drained overnight. Got a lot of mileage out of it though. Looks like DW wants to stay with Android. I'm happy with my Nexus 6P.

LesBleus**

Post by LesBleus** » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:10 pm

Nearly A Moose wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:40 pm
I'll grab a couple Sonos speakers for our new living room if they drop. Have wanted to try them out for a year or two. Also will get a couple more echoes to have an intercom system. But I've mapped out what I'd plan to get in advance. I'll check online while having morning coffee and then be done with it.
Ooh Sonos are nice. Get it!

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:34 pm

This is the first year since 2013 that I won't have to go into the office on Black Friday since I changed companies, so it will be nice having that day to relax and put up Christmas decorations. I don't think I've purchased anything on Black Friday for over a decade or longer now, just not my thing.

keystone

Post by keystone » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:43 pm

I'll be in the market for a Pixel 2 or 3, but I don't anticipate any special deals on the 3 since it's just coming out.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:47 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:31 pm
A Wolf gas cooking range. Saving money by cooking healthy food at home.
We put an Aga 48" dual fuel range/oven into our new house. I was familiar with Aga from our time living in the UK - although what they are famous for are as foreign to Americans as anything you can imagine - their cooking hobs. My builder was perplexed that I specified something he'd never heard of at a price that was less than half of Wolf, but it was available at our local appliance store. The ratings were great and the reviews even better. Fast forward 6 months and we couldn't be happier. The gas burners are extremely precise, the ovens are perfect and it looks great!

Food for thought. Its the best kitchen related money I've ever spent.

DarthSage

Post by DarthSage » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:24 pm

A new bread machine! Mine died over the weekend. I use it quite a bit--I make bread to go with homemade soup, and we make homemade pizza.

Naturally, I'll be looking in thrift stores as well, but it's likely that I'll want a specific type/brand. I haven't done any research yet. If I can't find a good BF deal, I'll send DH to Bed, Bath & Beyond with a 20% off coupon.

xenochrony

Post by xenochrony » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:37 pm

Turkey leftovers with the family and a long hard bike ride. No purchasing planned, brick and mortar or otherwise.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:37 pm

If you're talking about shopping.....not a thing! I never shop on Back Friday, or even on that weekend. Never did understand why people subject themselves to that craziness.

OTOH, Leftovers from Thanksgiving, and hopefully we'll have family visiting, so spending time with them.

dbapaddy

Post by dbapaddy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:15 am

Slacker wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:44 am
dbapaddy wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:18 am
Wake up at some time. Eat leftovers. Enjoy the day off.
You are very lucky to have a day off.

I'm a govt worker, so as soon as I pick up my kitty litter I'm going to be bashing away at a keyboard for the next 8hrs chained to the desk. We only get Thanksgiving off (I think this is made up for by having Columbus day off which almost no one gets).
I'm in the govt too...I don't get it off, but take vacation...well worth it...while it's an easier day to work because most people take it off, it always feels depressing to me to work....choices, choices...

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:21 am

dbapaddy wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:15 am
I'm in the govt too...I don't get it off, but take vacation...well worth it...while it's an easier day to work because most people take it off, it always feels depressing to me to work....choices, choices...
My wife and I always work on BF. Typically I'm the only person on my end of the building. I can get almost a week's worth of work done and still leave early.

Gray

Post by Gray » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:10 pm

Christmas presents

I always go to https://www.bfads.net

Independent George

Post by Independent George » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:19 am

Lunch at Peter Luger's.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:38 am

Usually I'm anti Black Friday but my daughter wants a gaming laptop for Christmas and BF discounts can usually have a dramatic impact over the TCO of the purchase. Hoping for a middle of the road laptop at moderate discounts or steeper discounts on last gen's ThinkPads or Dell Lattitude laptops. My only non-negotiable criteria are rugged case (hence the bias towards business laptops), 8 GB RAM (16 would be ideal), and mid-tier video card. I'm eschewing obvious models like Alienware, ROG, or anything with black cases and neon lights… just something that will run Minecraft and most contemporary kids games without too much fuss.

Other than that I try to avoid leaving the house on Black Friday. I might keep an eye out for some luggage/duffel bags and a couple item of clothings but that might be it.

dual

Post by dual » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:15 am

Sigh, I was remembering the AMEX credit card small business Saturday promotions from years past. We would run all over town buying stuff for just over the rebate limit. I have about 5 AMEX cards and we would get the max number of purchases for each. One of my favorites was hitting the Middle Eastern grocery store and loading up on baklava, dolmades, and other goodies. Long gone but not forgotten.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:07 am

Nobody has mentioned this, but I might actually travel over Black Friday. It's a long weekend and my family is away. Might be some good deals.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:25 pm

This year, nothing. We just moved and bought a ton of stuff.

But for anyone who is shopping, this is a great time of year to buy electronics and appliances. Of course they are actually 'on sale' throughout the year so BF or Cyber Monday aren't really all that important. Just wait until the next Hallmark Holiday and the pattern repeats :wink:

batpot

Post by batpot » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:40 pm

dziuniek wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Just got a Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX for my wife's car.
Have had an AVH-4200NEX for about a year in my car, and love it. Android Auto is a game changer.

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:13 pm

- Laptop with large (512Gb) SSD for my wife (cannot be Lenovo though their prices are the best since they do not support 2 external monitor, learned the hard way--already had to return one after upgrading and configuring it...)
- Iphone Xs for my wife
- Security system for the house. Probably Simplisafe or Ring.

Shackleton

Post by Shackleton » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:34 pm

As REI says - #OptOutside

I’ll be XC skiing.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton

parsi1

Post by parsi1 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:39 pm

a new laptop dedicated only to taxes and banking.

dziuniek

Post by dziuniek » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:46 pm

batpot wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:40 pm
dziuniek wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Just got a Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX for my wife's car.
Have had an AVH-4200NEX for about a year in my car, and love it. Android Auto is a game changer.
Just checked it out. Looks real decent!

How's the speed of the unit? (as far as apps?)

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:57 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:23 am
We let the consumers consume and go for a day long hike in the woods as a family. I've done that for the last 40 years and have no regrets.
I plan on observing Buy Nothing Day. The older I get, the more I find consumerism repellent.