Looking for App to Analyze Past Fund Performance

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
RETerp

Looking for App to Analyze Past Fund Performance

Post by RETerp » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:39 pm

I'd like to find an application for my computer to do some research on the performance of various funds of my choosing over various time frames of my choosing in the past. I know I can manually go back and find prices on certain dates and construct something in Excel. But I don't think that would factor in dividends or distributions which are important to me in doing this. Or would it?? I'm looking for an application where I could, for example, list 3 funds, a starting date and an ending date and have it calculate the annualized rate of return. Or perhaps, list initial investments on the starting date and have the app show final values on the ending date. I looked all over the Vanguard site and couldn't find anything like this. Any recommendations?
thanks
Brad

tibbitts

Re: Looking for App to Analyze Past Fund Performance

Post by tibbitts » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:46 pm

RETerp wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:39 pm
I'd like to find an application for my computer to do some research on the performance of various funds of my choosing over various time frames of my choosing in the past. I know I can manually go back and find prices on certain dates and construct something in Excel. But I don't think that would factor in dividends or distributions which are important to me in doing this. Or would it?? I'm looking for an application where I could, for example, list 3 funds, a starting date and an ending date and have it calculate the annualized rate of return. Or perhaps, list initial investments on the starting date and have the app show final values on the ending date. I looked all over the Vanguard site and couldn't find anything like this. Any recommendations?
thanks
Brad
Sorry I don't know, but I'm curious how you'll use this information.

You can put start/end dates into Morningstar charts but I'm assuming that's not what you mean.

NoRegret

Post by NoRegret » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:00 pm

https://www.buyupside.com/stockreturnca ... cinput.php

Unfortunately this one doesn't work for ETFs or MFs.

http://www.idacorpinc.com/investor-rela ... calculator

This one seems to work. I can't vouch for its accuracy. The "adjusted close" data from Yahoo Finance reflects dividends and splits but it's not the same as reinvesting dividends.

NR
Market timer targeting long term cycles -- aiming for several key decisions per asset class per decade

cp73

Post by cp73 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:34 pm

Here is a fantastic spreadsheet developed by another boglehead named Simba. With this you can go back and test (get performance) most vanguard funds and combination of funds for any period you want. If you like spreadsheets you will love this one. I use it all the time. This will automatically download the spreadsheet to your desktop. This is the latest version that goes through the end of 2017. Also search for "simba spreadsheet" on this site and you can find all sorts of comments about the spreadsheet. This will get you what your looking for.

https://goo.gl/cS3SZG

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:38 pm

RETerp wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:39 pm
I'd like to find an application for my computer to do some research on the performance of various funds of my choosing over various time frames of my choosing in the past.
Try this: https://portfoliocharts.com/portfolio/my-portfolio/

This doesn't look up specific funds, but if you know the underlying content by asset class you can model any portfolio you like. It calculates the returns over every start and end date since 1970 simultaneously and presents all of the results as a series of charts.

brentflog

Post by brentflog » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:57 pm

portfoliovisualizer.com

robertmcd

Post by robertmcd » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:39 pm

ditto for portfoliovisualizer.com