What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Artful Dodger

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by Artful Dodger » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:30 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:26 pm
Fear: Trump in the White House by Bob Woodward. Just downloaded it on Kindle today and finished chapters 1-9 this morning. It's really interesting!
I agree. Picked up earlier this week, and up to page 150. Well researched and, at least to me, even handed.

hdas

Post by hdas » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:15 pm

Statistics as Principled Argument by Robert P. Abelson....Superb. H

SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:00 am

Creative Selection: Inside Apple’s Design Process During the Golden Age of Steve Jobs by Ken Kocienda. Just finished this enjoyable book from the software developer responsible, among other projects while at Apple, for the touchscreen keyboard on the first iPhone.

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:38 am

H.P. Lovecraft Collection. Classic Tales Of Cosmic Horror. Fits in with Holloween etc.

LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:29 am

"Bad Blood" by John Carryrou is a business book that reads like a mystery novel. With the mix of finance and healthcare, Bogleheads should love it.

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:36 am

Currently reading Digital Helix. I'm interested in the subject of digital transformation. This book is good, but is leaving me wanting more. Anyone have a book they recommend on digital transformation?

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:26 pm

The ABC Murders, by Agatha Christie.

The mystery is unusual for Agatha Christie. I won't spoil it by describing the problem and solution. I liked this book.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:29 pm

"Swan Peak" the 17th book in the Dave Robicheaux series by James Lee Burke. As previously mentioned, I am having trouble pulling away from these books.

Dave

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:52 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:26 pm
The ABC Murders, by Agatha Christie.

The mystery is unusual for Agatha Christie. I won't spoil it by describing the problem and solution. I liked this book.
I read that forever ago.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:31 pm

Warren Buffett "The Snowball"
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

CarpeDiem22

Post by CarpeDiem22 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:02 am

"Where Are the Customers' Yachts?" by Fred Schwed Jr.

Was waiting to read this one for quite some time, after having seen the same being recommended on William Bernstein's site efficient frontier. For those who are not yet aware of this book, it a satire about Wall Street but is embedded with indirect advice and recommendations that are worth their weight in gold (or TSM in case you don't prefer gold). What is really intriguing is that this was written in 1940 but gives the same messages that Bogle starting fighting for in 1970s.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:32 am

I'm reading a new book by the author of "Flash Boys."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

sandburg

Post by sandburg » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:24 pm

The Road to Monticello

hdas

Post by hdas » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:16 pm

Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil. Hannah Arendt

Dantes

Post by Dantes » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:19 pm

bertilak wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:08 pm
nisiprius wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:30 pm
I'm trying to read The Three Musketeers, by Alexander Dumas, but I think I've bogged down.
I just started Count of Monte Cristo (also by Dumas). I'm only at page 16 of 479. So far our hero has been arrested on trumped up charges by someone who will obviously benefit from that. My thoughts so far: If our hero had a good lawyer he might have saved us from 463 pages of impending frustration I'm not sure I want to subject myself to! I'm debating whether or not to continue based on the book's reputation as a classic. I'm glad it was a cheap "buy now" on eBay and the seller accepted my low-ball offer!
The Count of Monte Cristo is - not surprisingly - one of my favorite books. But I'd be very worried if it is only 479 pages. Its probably been abridged. The Penguin edition is 1276 pages, and that is not a page too long.

Dantes

Post by Dantes » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:29 pm

FreeAtLast wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:48 pm
"Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman" by Robert L. O'Connell (Random House, 2014)

In the last twenty years, many books have been written about U.S. Grant. I plan to read Ron Chernow's recent effort by the end of this year. Before that pleasant task, however, I was able to pick up a copy of O'Connell's biography of Sherman. What a fascinating character the man was, and a great general besides! I understand that I am making no friends with any Forum members born below the Mason-Dixon line with that declarative statement. Give this book a chance - read it and if then you still believe that Sherman was nothing more than a marauding sociopath, I will concede that your opinion is forever immutable.
If you put aside all of his well-documented exertions during the Civil War, you will discover that Sherman had a surprising and strong influence on several other famous incidents in American history. If you are truly interested in the latter subject, you should be aware of what those influences were. This book presents two excellent, enlarged photographs of Sherman's physiognomy - especially on the front jacket cover. Look into his eyes and you cannot fail to perceive a burning intensity aligned with an analytical intelligence; this man was much more than just a destructive monster. To be absolutely fair, Sherman was not a War lover. He certainly would have agreed with the Roman proverb: Dulce Bellum Inexpertis ("War is sweet to those who are not acquainted with it").
Sherman - like Grant - wrote a really excellent autobiography; his and Grant's are each available in the Library of America series. They are not the typical 19th century military leader memoirs, and can hold their own in comparison with any 19th century autobiography. Sheridan also wrote a memoir that is of respectable quality, i.e. far above the run of 19th century military memoir, but no where near the level of Grant or Sherman.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:58 pm

Dantes wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:19 pm
bertilak wrote:
nisiprius wrote:
I'm trying to read The Three Musketeers, by Alexander Dumas, but I think I've bogged down.
I just started Count of Monte Cristo (also by Dumas). I'm only at page 16 of 479. So far our hero has been arrested on trumped up charges by someone who will obviously benefit from that. My thoughts so far: If our hero had a good lawyer he might have saved us from 463 pages of impending frustration I'm not sure I want to subject myself to! I'm debating whether or not to continue based on the book's reputation as a classic. I'm glad it was a cheap "buy now" on eBay and the seller accepted my low-ball offer!
The Count of Monte Cristo is - not surprisingly - one of my favorite books. But I'd be very worried if it is only 479 pages. Its probably been abridged. The Penguin edition is 1276 pages, and that is not a page too long.
The book doesn't claim to be abridged. It is a 1940 publication from a publisher called the Book League of America. Wikipedia says that was established in 1930. It was a subscription service, much like Book of the Month Club. Note Wikipedia did NOT say it was similar to Reader's Digest! One illustration, a frontispiece, copyright Consolidated Book Publishers. There is no introduction nor anything like a "letter from the publisher."

It is a wartime publication so paper had to be conserved: small(ish) print with tiny margins. But still it is hard to see how they reduced 1276 pages to 479 without abridging. So, probably abridged even though not so designated.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

ray.james

Post by ray.james » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:46 pm

The Great Depression: a Diary by Benjamin Roth

This is am amazing book and highly recommended by many on this forum. I had a few moments of fondly remembering myself during 2008 recession. I went on a quest to learn about economics and history during the recession and some of the authors feelings reciprocated with me.

A few things that surprised me:
1) Bank pass books are traded as cash at a discount!
2) Bread lines. 1 in 4 unemployment.
3) Chasing the falling knife examples- across several years.
4) The intelligence and logical view of the author in tough times- A lawyer with keen interest on history and economics.
5) The mighty cities of Ohio - once upon a time.
6) Author thoughts on diversification as time went by.
7) Buildings razed down to save on paying taxes - Reminded me of 2008.
8) I understand what buffet means by the world is a much better, safer, progressed place in general as 21st century progressed. The constant view of wars, inflation, food issues, safety issues in the book made me feel grateful.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:59 pm

The Next Millionaire Next Door: Enduring Strategies for Building Wealth by Thomas Stanley and Sarah Stanley Fallaw

https://www.amazon.com/Next-Millionaire ... 1493035355

Just finished this book and I must say it was a disappointment for me. It was essentially a rehash of the Millionaire Next Door and the Millionaire Mind and provided little additional insight other than to say that the same principles listed in The Millionaire Next Door still apply. I would save my money and time and just read the original book and skip this one altogether.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:47 pm

Just started The Daughter of Time (1951) by Josephine Tey.

It is an unusual detective story in that the murder mystery is about 500 years old: the deaths of King Richard's two young nephews, the oldest of which was to inherit his late father's (King Edward IV) crown. Richard preferred that he be king.

The two nephews (The princes in the tower) vanished and were presumed dead, probably at Richard's instructions, even if not by his own hand. He was (conveniently?) out of town at the time. So, this is the murder mystery to be solved by inspector Alan Grant who is laid up in a hospital bed with a broken leg and needs something to amuse himself with. I haven't got past this initial setup yet.

The title is from a quote by Francis Bacon: "Truth is the daughter of time, not of authority." The "authority" is that Richard did it. The introduction warns that the book plays a little loose with the evidence and there was less evidence at the time the book was written. Ms. Tey has her spin on the situation and ignores evidence that might argue against her opinion. As they say, "Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy The Show!" Don't get hung up on solving the mystery.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 pm

On Desperate Ground, by Hampton Sides.

This is the story of the First Marine Division in their battle with five Chinese Army Divisions at the Chosin Reservoir, and then fighting their out of the mountains of North Korea during the winter of 1950-51. This is a very good book, I recommend it.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:14 am

bertilak wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:58 pm
Dantes wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:19 pm
bertilak wrote:
nisiprius wrote:
The book doesn't claim to be abridged. It is a 1940 publication from a publisher called the Book League of America. Wikipedia says that was established in 1930. It was a subscription service, much like Book of the Month Club. Note Wikipedia did NOT say it was similar to Reader's Digest! One illustration, a frontispiece, copyright Consolidated Book Publishers. There is no introduction nor anything like a "letter from the publisher."

It is a wartime publication so paper had to be conserved: small(ish) print with tiny margins. But still it is hard to see how they reduced 1276 pages to 479 without abridging. So, probably abridged even though not so designated.
There are several translations of that book, and most of them are abridged, some horrendously so. None of them mention that they’ve been abridged. What I found when I read it was that the translation matters, more than with most books. The first one I tried to read was almost completely unreadable. The 1200+ page Penguin version with a modern translation was a great book.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:22 am

Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn. Unreliable narrators, both of them. Plot twists and turns. A really great read.

The Handmaid’s Tale, by Margaret Atwood. Creepy and dystopian. I don’t think we would ever get there, but some days I’m not so sure.

The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. An alternative dystopian future. This was less creepy and more heroic.

Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott. What I’ve been reading when I want to calm down after the first three books wind me up.

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:48 am

Just finished Wind Through the Keyhole, a “bonus” Gunslinger book from Stephen King. Read by the author. (I am addicted to audiobooks and listen to them in the shower with a waterproof iPod shuffle.)

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:50 am

"The First Congress: How James Madison, George Washington, and a Group of Extraordinary Men Invented the Government" by Fergus Bordewich
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:17 pm

bertilak wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:47 pm
The book has the following:
  • A thousand people drowned in floods in China are news: a solitary child drowned in a pond is tragedy.
That sounds very familiar but I have never read this book before. Is it a common observation? Is there an original source for it?

MP173

Post by MP173 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:50 pm

"Tiger Woods" by Benedict and Keteyian.

While I am not a golfer, Woods is a fascinating figure. With his recent PGA tour win, he seems to have returned.

This is a very detailed book of his life, including all the trouble Woods experienced. Excellent look at a legendary and troubled figure. Hopefully he seems to have turned his life around. If the authors are to be believed, that turnaround has been occurring the past couple of years.

Ed

jdb

Post by jdb » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:45 pm

I am on a cycle of re reading old classics that enjoyed years ago. And to be more specific, there were two books which years ago brought tears to my eyes at ending which I read in past weeks just to see if would occur again, kind of like a test of my now much older sensibilities. The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton was enjoyable but I did not become emotional at end. But a very haunting ending. However, Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens, while not a great novel, in fact I skimmed parts, still had the tears coming at final pages with sacrifice of Sydney Carton, even though I saw it coming from long ways away, so guess that I still have some sentimentalities. Good luck.

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:37 pm

delete
Last edited by Calygos on Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:21 pm

bertilak wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:17 pm
bertilak wrote:
  • A thousand people drowned in floods in China are news: a solitary child drowned in a pond is tragedy.
That sounds very familiar but I have never read this book before. Is it a common observation? Is there an original source for it?
Stalin said one man's death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
At least it was supposed to be him that said that.
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/2 ... statistic/
De gustibus non est disputandum.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:54 am

Nicolas wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:21 pm
bertilak wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:17 pm
bertilak wrote:
Stalin said one man's death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
At least it was supposed to be him that said that.
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/2 ... statistic/
Nicolas, thanks for that great link; lots of info about similar quotes going back many years (1759). So, no specific originator of the concept but lots of people making similar observations. I guess that's why I was somewhat familiar with it.

I think Tey's usage is a bit different from the tone of the article at that link. Tey focuses on how a single, personalized, death has a larger emotional impact than death in general. Tey is not about callousness but about focus and relating. One can relate to a specific death more than to death in general.

Tey also uses the word "news" instead of "statistic." "News" is something one can relate to more than "statistic."

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:51 pm

Ship of Fools by Tucker Carlson. Per Tucker’s excellent journalistic standards, the book is very insightful and fair and balanced.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:41 am

ray.james wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:46 pm
The Great Depression: a Diary by Benjamin Roth
A wonderful book indeed. I read it twice.

After seeing your post, I plan to read it for a third time. Next on my list.
Funding secured

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:44 am

lthenderson wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:59 pm
The Next Millionaire Next Door: Enduring Strategies for Building Wealth by Thomas Stanley and Sarah Stanley Fallaw

https://www.amazon.com/Next-Millionaire ... 1493035355

Just finished this book and I must say it was a disappointment for me. It was essentially a rehash of the Millionaire Next Door and the Millionaire Mind and provided little additional insight other than to say that the same principles listed in The Millionaire Next Door still apply. I would save my money and time and just read the original book and skip this one altogether.
Reading now. Halfway through the book.

Disappointed as well. Your review is dead on.

I probably should stop reading, but will likely finish.

Borrowed from library.
Funding secured

hdas

Post by hdas » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:24 am

Start-up Nation: The Story of Israel's Economic Miracle by Dan Senor and Saul Singer

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:22 pm

Re-reading Lord of the Rings for the 7th or 8th time. I'm actually reading some, but mostly listening to the Audible version, skillfully narrated by Rob Inglis. Hanging out with Merry, Pippin and Treebeard right now.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:29 pm

jdb wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:45 pm
I am on a cycle of re reading old classics that enjoyed years ago. And to be more specific, there were two books which years ago brought tears to my eyes at ending which I read in past weeks just to see if would occur again, kind of like a test of my now much older sensibilities. The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton was enjoyable but I did not become emotional at end. But a very haunting ending. However, Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens, while not a great novel, in fact I skimmed parts, still had the tears coming at final pages with sacrifice of Sydney Carton, even though I saw it coming from long ways away, so guess that I still have some sentimentalities. Good luck.
I think Tale of Two Cities has the most memorable beginning and ending quotes in all English literature...

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way."

And Carton..." It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known."