Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
pennstater2005

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by pennstater2005 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:21 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:24 pm
How about the obligatory "Please stay on-topic"? :wink:
Fair enough :sharebeer
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

PaulAtreides

Post by PaulAtreides » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:42 pm

Thank you everyone for the advice and responses. Shaving my head inst a good option for me, it wont look good, shape-wise.

I will do my due diligence and research more. Ultimately its a risk I take because it might end up failing. I am in good shape and eat healthy as well so no issues there.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:53 pm

Decades ago I went through what you did. At the time it was a drag. There were certain people who would keep looking up at the top of my head during conversations. Also, it did make dating more difficult. Some women didn't care, but I think most did.

Over the years just started cutting it shorter and shorter to the point of just using a trimmer with no guard. As you get older it becomes less of a big deal.

As to transplants, seems to me there is a big risk there. I've certainly seen quite a few bad ones. If it goes wrong you look abnormal. Being bald is normal. And the older you get bald becomes more normal and transplants progressively look worse.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:56 pm

My boss was bald.............he had a little placard on his desk.......

"God made only so many perfect heads....the rest he covered with hair :sharebeer

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:03 pm

JBTX wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:53 pm
Decades ago I went through what you did. At the time it was a drag. There were certain people who would keep looking up at the top of my head during conversations. Also, it did make dating more difficult. Some women didn't care, but I think most did.

Over the years just started cutting it shorter and shorter to the point of just using a trimmer with no guard. As you get older it becomes less of a big deal.

As to transplants, seems to me there is a big risk there. I've certainly seen quite a few bad ones. If it goes wrong you look abnormal. Being bald is normal. And the older you get bald becomes more normal and transplants progressively look worse.

+100

Same here...........happened to me in my late 20's. Really struggled with it for many years.......Other posters are correct.........focus on more important things in your life. It is tough.....you will have to gut through this........but you will be a stronger person. I had co-workers that did the "rug" thing. Then after many years of it looking really crappy..........they stopped. My suggestion......hang in there and be tough.......it will get better. It did for me.........

Good Luck........

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:11 pm

PaulAtreides wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:42 pm
Thank you everyone for the advice and responses. Shaving my head inst a good option for me, it wont look good, shape-wise.

I will do my due diligence and research more. Ultimately its a risk I take because it might end up failing. I am in good shape and eat healthy as well so no issues there.
I think everyone who shaves their head thinks that at first. I did but now receive complements on the shape of my head. Maybe people are just being nice.

JHU ALmuni

Post by JHU ALmuni » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:16 pm

Worked for Elon Musk. Your milage may vary.

Pizza_and_Beer

Post by Pizza_and_Beer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:11 pm

I'd personally wouldn't do it. As was mentioned multiple times, it's better to get a buzz cut or shave it all off. Spend the money you would save from the transplant getting in better shape and upgrading your wardrobe. That would yield a more holistic increase in self-confidence, in my opinion.

Channel your inner Jean-Luc Picard or Jeff Bezos! :mrgreen:

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 pm

Trism wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:25 am
lthenderson wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:39 am
I can spot a transplant almost as far away as a comb over. You wouldn't be fooling anyone. Just shave your head close or completely and leave people guessing.
This should go without saying, but you wouldn't be aware of the ones you did not spot.
I had one done and at my first haircut ~2 months later, my hair dresser could not find any visible signs or tell I had it done. Newer procedures with the robot leave no scar.

gusan

Post by gusan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:26 pm

Yup, no scars with the FUE method - no more taking strips of hair. Also I paid only $1500 for ~3K transplants.

Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:30 pm

Had it done 12 yrs ago ( when i was 23 ) as I started thinning out at 18. So you dont have it bad at all. Yes it does work and your hair grows normally. My B in law had 2 procedures done outside the US and looks a completely diff man now. I am planning to do it again, probably will need 2 more procedures. Also know of people who went to Turkey. Yes it does boost your confidence. People start going to the gym after they see their hars growing back. Make sure u go to a reputable person review ratings.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:43 am

pennstater2005 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:54 pm
Why is anyone surprised by good natured but off topic responses? That is Bogleheads.
Exactly. "Should buy a new car x or car y?" turns into can you afford a new car? Why do you need a new car? What is your asset allocation? lol

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:14 pm

I removed an off-topic post linking to an article which discussed medical causes for hair loss. As a reminder, see: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Please stay focused on the consumer aspects.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Momus

Post by Momus » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:53 pm

gusan wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:26 pm
Yup, no scars with the FUE method - no more taking strips of hair. Also I paid only $1500 for ~3K transplants.
Where was this? That's so cheap!

gusan

Post by gusan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:13 pm

Momus wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:53 pm
gusan wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:26 pm
Where was this? That's so cheap!
South Asia :)

Trism

Post by Trism » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:43 am

Cycle wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:32 am
Trism wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:22 am
Cycle wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:59 am
Who cares, stop comparing yourself to others. Divert that energy and money into eating healthy / staying fit.
In my experience you cannot purchase fitness or health. But you can purchase hair.
paleo diet with high quality ingredients will cost much more than the standard american diet (SAD), even if shopping at aldi. gym memberships, bikes, jogging shoes, xc ski pass all cost money... excellent investments in your fitness.
You can pick up a sense of humor at most neighborhood Walgreens stores.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:46 am

JamesSFO wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 pm
Trism wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:25 am
lthenderson wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:39 am
I can spot a transplant almost as far away as a comb over. You wouldn't be fooling anyone. Just shave your head close or completely and leave people guessing.
This should go without saying, but you wouldn't be aware of the ones you did not spot.
I had one done and at my first haircut ~2 months later, my hair dresser could not find any visible signs or tell I had it done. Newer procedures with the robot leave no scar.
What is the name of the robot procedure? Last (and only) previous firsthand review I got for a hair replacement procedure was for Neograft, which isn't exactly new. I am serious about having something done next year. Thank you in advance.

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Trism wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:46 am
What is the name of the robot procedure? Last (and only) previous firsthand review I got for a hair replacement procedure was for Neograft, which isn't exactly new. I am serious about having something done next year. Thank you in advance.
Artas - http://siliconvalleyhairinstitute.com/artas/

That's where I had it done.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:16 pm

JamesSFO wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:41 pm
Trism wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:46 am
Artas - http://siliconvalleyhairinstitute.com/artas/

That's where I had it done.
Much appreciated!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:20 pm

PaulAtreides wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:02 pm
Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has done a hair transplant or knew someone who did and the experience/results that were observed.

I am 33 and severely balding, been considering a transplant for a while. I am always thankful for my health and family, and I realize there are more important things than hair. It does bring me down sometimes, and everyone around me notices how bald I have become. I am in an upper management role at my company and the lack of hair does lower my confidence levels.

I have the financial means to do the procedure, which typically costs $15-20K.

I don't know how well they work and expectations I should have.

Perhaps someone with experience in this realm can provide guidance.

Thank you!
Almost sounds like there is a need for a "support group".

veindoc

Post by veindoc » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:42 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:20 pm
[quote=PaulAtreides post_id=4158624 time=<a href="tel:1539205321">1539205321</a> user_id=129239]
Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has done a hair transplant or knew someone who did and the experience/results that were observed.

I am 33 and severely balding, been considering a transplant for a while. I am always thankful for my health and family, and I realize there are more important things than hair. It does bring me down sometimes, and everyone around me notices how bald I have become. I am in an upper management role at my company and the lack of hair does lower my confidence levels.

Thank you!
[/quote]

Absolutely. My brother started balding at age 18 and was devastated. I remember him arguing with my mom because he wanted to wear a hat with a suit he was wearing to go to a wedding. He didn’t go to the wedding. There was no way he was going to show his balding head. My husband was also self conscious about his lack of hair when we met. Another ex boyfriend - same thing. I didn’t care- it actually seemed normal to me. I have been known to tell men in their 50’s and 60’s with a full head of hair how lucky they are. My father and other brother lost their hair at a young age. My dad had me at 29 and I can honestly say I don’t have a single memory of him with a full head of hair. I have three boys -one with a head of curly hair that always gets noticed- so I plan to set aside a little money when they are teenagers to help them with that issue if they are really impacted psychologically from it. I know first hand the emotional toll it can take on a young person.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:05 pm

TxAg wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:14 pm
Buzz your whole head with a #1. I think that's the best look for early balding.
I used to use the #1 until I was talking to a friend of mine, who is a cosmetologist. He told me to try it without the #1 comb. I asked, "Won't I get cut?' He said, "No, that's why the metal comb attached to the clipper is called a 'blade guard'."

I stopped using the #1 comb and now set the lever on the clipper to cut as close as possible. Works great.

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:27 pm

[ quoted post removed by admin LadyGeek]

What were the side effects?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:41 pm

^^^ I removed a post and the one quoted here (related to a certain drug). See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

sillysaver

Post by sillysaver » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:00 pm

Just wait until gene therapy is advanced enough.

Or learn not to care. I started losing my hair in my teens. Sometime in my 20's I decided to just start buzzing it close and it was extremely liberating once I accepted it.

Momus

Post by Momus » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:08 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:20 pm
PaulAtreides wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:02 pm
Hello there,

Thank you!
For men, it's a big deal. It's the only face accessory you can control. We don't wear earrings, lipstick, make up etc. We have nothing but hair there.

ArchibaldGraham

Post by ArchibaldGraham » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:05 am

randomizer wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:38 am
ArchibaldGraham wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:32 am
tev9876 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:52 am
Set of Wahl clippers - $20. Five minutes a week. Never buy shampoo again.
+1

Also never buy a haircut again
But what about the mess? Do you buzz out in the yard?
Non-issue. If you keep your hair short (eg cut it once a week or so) there is not much mess and a single damp paper towel can pick up all the little hairs. If your hair was longer maybe you would need a small dustpan, but I dont see any scenario where it is out of control. (I cut my hair in the bathroom)

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:29 am

beardsworth wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:55 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:09 pm
beardsworth wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:15 pm
Since I'm also interested in the OP's subject, I have to assume that he's as frustrated as I to see three dozen posts so far, most of which (although offered in a cheerful and supportive spirit) are completely irrelevant to what he requested: feedback from men who actually did a hair transplant. I hope such respondents may yet appear in this thread.
What percentage of males in the US get hair transplants? What percentage of males in the US visit Bogleheads? Now, intersect the 2 groups.

I would guess that Bogleheads with hair transplants will reply if/when they read this thread.

Always good to hear different perspectives. Many threads would be very short or have no replies. Which may be just fine.
Better a short thread with on-target responses to the original post asking I'd like to hear from guys who've had hair transplants than a long thread full of responses like My self-confidence doesn't depend on my hair, or You need to work on appreciating your body image, or Just shave your head and get used to it.
Let me bring this back on point. Advice to keep a short hairstyle or learn to live with it are beside the point. Please stop.

OP,
I am turning 27 next week. I had diffuse thinning, which is less common and not on the Norwood scale. Had an FUE procedure (ARTAS robot) done 5 months ago. ~1200 grafts. Cost was ~$11k. Did my research over a year before I had my procedure and waited that long to make sure I really wanted it. I am starting to see the results now, as the transplanted follicles are ~1/4 inch long. I expect that in the next month or two, after a haircut, they will be indistinguishable from other hairs.

I haven't done before & after yet, but I will at some point. I am also on Rogaine (1x/day) and have a Laser hair cap that I use every other day for 25 minutes. One thing that hasn't been discussed: The success of any hair transplant procedure depends on the kind of hair you have. If you are looking for an FUE procedure, light colored or curly hair does not work well with the machine.

Feel free to ask me anything I haven't covered.

NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:45 am

I've known of a few to try, and can't recall a case (including current top politician mentioned earlier) where it came off looking good. And regarding the pills, I've also read of too many cases of side effects - they do mess with testosterone/dihydrotestosterone (dht is what influences baldness) which can cause a host of other problems. So that's always scared me away.

I am certainly no psychologist but perhaps there are other ways to help the confidence? Hit a gym and start a squat/bench/deadlift program. In a year when you're squatting with +200lbs on your back and picking up +300lbs off the floor I guarantee you will walk into work a more confident man.

I also note that a well kept beard or goatee seems to be a nice offset for the bald look. Unfortunately I can't grow good facial hair (not bald yet but receding decently at 39) .

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:59 pm

Cyclesafe wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:08 am
Grow old gracefully. Body modifications are nearly always obvious and emphasize insecurity. Better to be mindfully healthy and maximize one's limited time on earth.
+1

This wisdom comes with age. More than the person, immediate family members have greater concern about his looks.

Many people in 60s and 70s color their hair when a natural grey hair look is better!