Oatmeal suggestions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

Re: Oatmeal suggestions

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu May 31, 2018 2:51 pm

Has anyone mentioned overnight oats yet too? That's my favorite. Almond milk, oats, chia seeds, peanut butter. Add some mushed banana.

Put it beside some cold brew coffee overnight and you have a great breakfast.
livesoft wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:40 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:19 pm
No need to stir and stand by the stove.
Nobody does that anymore anyways. The microwave methods give one the best abs without any standing around:
viewtopic.php?p=2242092#p2242092

I tried steel-cut oatmeal and didn't like it.
Ha, I prefer instant oats too but like to mix it up with steel cut every so often.

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Thu May 31, 2018 2:57 pm

I think a bottle of Founders Breakfast Stout is great. Taste awesome. :sharebeer

HoleInTheAir

Post by HoleInTheAir » Thu May 31, 2018 3:21 pm

For the last five years or so, I've had the same thing - 65g dry measure oats with water, and when it's real hot, stir in some cinnamon, and then place a piece of dark chocolate and 32g of PB on top. Let it melt, and then spread over the top. Bare in mind, this is 600 calories, so if you're on a lower calorie diet, you may need to adjust. I usually pair this with 4 whole eggs or some greek yogurt.

For the oats, I just like the plain old Quaker quick oats.

MJS

Post by MJS » Thu May 31, 2018 4:04 pm

I prefer savory foods for breakfast, so I top my oats with a yoghurt-based dip like Ranch or spinach. My dad had his oats with ground pepper & butter, but he also liked butter in his coffee.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu May 31, 2018 4:42 pm

I removed a post regarding the effect of grains and legumes on the immune system (medical advice). As a reminder, see: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Update: I also removed several posts stating the health effects of grains. Note that this thread was started in 2014.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Trev H

Post by Trev H » Thu May 31, 2018 4:57 pm

LG..

Should you not also remove all of the other post that mention oats as being ... Healthy or Heart Healthy or ...high glycemic index or which could increase inflammation and risk of damage to blood vessels.

???

Trism

Post by Trism » Thu May 31, 2018 6:40 pm

Large bowl:

1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 3/4 cups almond milk
1/8 cup raisins
1/2 tsp Nielsen-Massey Tahitian vanilla*
Splenda brown sugar blend (or brown sugar) to suit your sweet tooth

Microwave for 12 minutes on high.

Stir in 1-2 tsp Penzey's Vietnamese cinnamon*

Makes one serving.

* Yes, it matters.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu May 31, 2018 6:46 pm

Trev H wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:57 pm
LG..

Should you not also remove all of the other post that mention oats as being ... Healthy or Heart Healthy or ...high glycemic index or which could increase inflammation and risk of damage to blood vessels.

???
Thanks, I removed a few more posts. If anyone has any further recommendations, please PM me or report the post instead. (See: Member Rights in a Dispute , 2nd paragraph)

FYI - This thread was started in 2014.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Thu May 31, 2018 6:49 pm

Trism wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:40 pm
Large bowl:

1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 3/4 cups almond milk
1/8 cup raisins
1/2 tsp Nielsen-Massey Tahitian vanilla*
Splenda brown sugar blend (or brown sugar) to suit your sweet tooth

Microwave for 12 minutes on high.

Stir in 1-2 tsp Penzey's Vietnamese cinnamon*

Makes one serving.

* Yes, it matters.
This sounds yummy - I'm going shopping. :D
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Thu May 31, 2018 6:59 pm

I admit that I have a canister of instant oats and a small bag of some other type of oatmeal (whose name escapes me now). I am also a proud shareholder of PEP, the parent company of Quaker Oats. However, I rarely eat the stuff. I rather have noodles for breakfast or leftovers instead or some bread. If I do eat it, the instant Quaker oatmeal is king as it is fast and is tastier than others.

Cody

Post by Cody » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 am

I eat crow for breakfast. My wife makes sure of it. :happy

Cody

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:27 am

Cody wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 am
I eat crow for breakfast. My wife makes sure of it. :happy

Cody
Yes - me, for the last 40+ years ;)

BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:43 am

Bob's Red Mill Oatmeal is my favorite.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:22 pm

The biggest difficulty I've had with most ways to prepare oatmeal is the likelihood that the stove top or microwave container will boil over, requiring careful monitoring. Fixed by making oatmeal in the Instant Pot pressure cooker. It takes longer but I can do other things while the oatmeal is cooking.

My morning oatmeal ritual:

1. Pour 1 cup water in base of Instant Pot
2. In a separate bowl, combine 1/3 cup Old Fashioned oats with 2/3 cup water (or 2/3 + 4/3 if preparing for two people)
3. Place bowl in Instant Pot on top of trivet so it's not sitting directly in the water
4. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, natural release (generally 16 to 20 minutes to release pressure)
5. While oatmeal is cooking, prepare and consume first cup of coffee while reading bogleheads or other favorite web site
6. When oatmeal is done and pressure has released, prepare second cup of coffee, add favorite toppings to oatmeal, and enjoy! My favorite toppings tend to be cinnamon, walnuts, and whatever fresh fruits I happen to have on hand, usually blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, bananas, or peaches. If no fresh fruit is on hand, I use dried cranberries or raisins.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:49 pm

I admit I've been waiting for this oatmeal thread to come back so I can say I that I've gradually switched from oatmeal to oat bran. Just sayin'. :-)
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:58 pm

FWIW, Trader Joe's makes a rapid cooking steel cut oatmeal that can be prepared in a microwave in a short period of time (I forget how long but definitely less than 10 minutes of cooking....probably closer to five). I can't compare it to others because it is the only one I buy. They also have an "ancient grains" variant that is quite good.

I cook it with fruits (fresh, dried or frozen) and nuts. I sometimes substitute apple cider for water. Chacun a son gout. I always sweeten with real maple syrup and add cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, or some combination of above.

Cost comparison is irrelevant because oatmeal is so cheap anyway.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:00 pm

tuningfork wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:22 pm
The biggest difficulty I've had with most ways to prepare oatmeal is the likelihood that the stove top or microwave container will boil over, ...
Never had a problem with microwaving and any boil over, spill over, explode over and I don't cover the glass bowl I use in the microwave either. But see my method of microwaving earlier in this thread from 4 years ago for details.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:11 pm

I have an electric stove. I put the water, salt, and some spices in a small pan at full heat. When it just starts to boil, I turn the heat down to somewhere in the medium low level, about "8 o'clock" on my control dial, then add the old-fashioned oats. That will not boil over, but sit at a simmer.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.