Best Couch for Big and Tall Person

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DTalos

Best Couch for Big and Tall Person

Post by DTalos » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:28 pm

What are some brands of three cushion couches that are sturdy and supportive for big and tall people for regular use, both to sit on and to lay down on while watching television? Macy's has a Radley couch that looks supportive and sturdy, but not sure how long it will last before the cushions flatten.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/radl ... PDPZ1_Pos1

livesoft

Re: Best Couch for Big and Tall Person

Post by livesoft » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:59 pm

Don't know about best brands, but when we shopped more than a decade ago, one could order different innards to cushions. So one could pick a very stiff foam and that foam could have stiffeners embedded inside, too. The idea was that cushions could not be flattened with use.

We have some upholstered furniture labelled "Lineage Home Furnishings" which is not delicate and BIG. The big part is how high the backs are and how deep the thigh length is.

Certainly, if one lived in Texas there are furniture stores that specifically cater to big people.

Edit: The link you gave stated the sofa was only 30" high. That's way too short. I measured our sofa and it is 36" high as is the matching chair. One's head will not fall off the back and hit a wall. Nor will one's neck be strained.

Here is an example of oversized furniture: http://www.sofasandsectionals.com/sofas ... 4-in-stock
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

TexasPenny

Post by TexasPenny » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:09 pm

My husband is a large man and is 6ft tall. We specifically looked for a sofa he could lay out flat on and not feel squished. We ended up with a sofa from a local outlet of Build A Sofa.com (http://buildasofa.com/ and built in the USA) We've had it 4 years so far and it has held up well. You can customize lengths if needed but we found one that was perfectly long enough.

aadwen

Post by aadwen » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:33 pm

Catnapper Nolan

I'm 6'5 and love it.

Have couch, love seat and about to buy the chair.

jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:25 am

I'm a fan of flexsteel furniture. We have a chair and a sectional couch. Both very well made wood frames and steel supports underneath hence their name. I'm 6'3" and 300+

Lafder

Post by Lafder » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:49 pm

You absolutely have to sit in it yourself. Height, depth, cushion hardness and size are indescribable in words. One person's ideal comfort is another person's fluffy disaster, or another's too hard and uncomfortable. Don't be distracted by catalog pictures unless you can try it out for yourself. Narrow it down to couches you like the look of, then sit in them and narrow it to the nice looking comfortable ones, then try to choose from the few that meet the appearance and sitting/lying down test.
Lafder

DTalos

Post by DTalos » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:21 pm

I appreciate the suggestions for online stores, but I would hate to buy something I can't sit down on and determine for myself the comfort level as Lafder mentioned.

I'm also astonished as to how much furniture depreciates and the mark-up on furniture. Besides Costco, are there any stores that don't have much markup on couches? I've been looking on Craigslist for the past month, but haven't seen anything.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:25 am

DTalos, where do you live?
I know of a place in southwest NY state...
4nursebee

Compound

Post by Compound » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:46 am

Restoration hardware has some very deep couches. I'm 6'5" and have never before had a couch that fits me so well. It was torture on the pocketbook to get, but in the end worth every penny. The store near us had floor examples, which really helped seal the deal (along with a sale on the item).

johnubc

Post by johnubc » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:04 am

Elran - http://www.elran.com/Features_eng.asp

Find a local dealer and you will not be disappointed.

DTalos

Post by DTalos » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:06 am

4nursebee wrote:DTalos, where do you live?
I know of a place in southwest NY state...
I live in Arizona.

Are leather couches more or less firm than microfiber couches?

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:47 am

jbuzolich wrote:I'm a fan of flexsteel furniture. We have a chair and a sectional couch. Both very well made wood frames and steel supports underneath hence their name. I'm 6'3" and 300+
I have an opposing view on Flexsteel furniture. Our couch is not 20 years old, and the steel springs have broken and make noises. I'm 6'5", 250 and it didn't hold up well to me, and the kids.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

Lon

Post by Lon » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:47 am

I am 6' 4", 200 lbs and purchased a three seat sofa bed from Costco a few weeks ago for $649 that has a side lounge that I love for watching TV.

kappy

Post by kappy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:28 pm

Reviving this thread for the 2018 edition. After a couple days of going to the local furniture stores, I've only found couple sofa's the I sorta fit in. By sorta, I mean they are soft enough that my upper back pushes the upper portion of the cushion back instead of it pushing my upper back forward. I'm 6'4" and thin. That Catnapper looks interesting. How is it holding up?

Dakotah

Post by Dakotah » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:40 pm

I'm 6'3/225 and just finished furniture shopping. We ended up going with La-Z-Boy. They're not the most aesthetically pleasing...but they were by far the most comfortable to sit in. We wanted reclining couches/chairs...and finding recliners that were long enough for my legs proved to be a real struggle.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:29 pm

DTalos wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:21 pm
I'm also astonished as to how much furniture depreciates and the mark-up on furniture. Besides Costco, are there any stores that don't have much markup on couches? I've been looking on Craigslist for the past month, but haven't seen anything.
Our last few furniture purchases--including a reclining couch and chair last year--have been at The Dump. Very happy with the prices and quality. They're not cheap per se, but they sell predominantly high-end stuff at significant discounts, so prices wind up only slightly higher than the crap furniture you'd get at the major discount chains.

joeblow

Post by joeblow » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:31 pm

Room and Board. If you like modern furniture.

Quality is amazing.

They list all the dimensions online. Figure out what you need and find one that fits your needs. Still have the same sectional from 15 years ago. Figured out what we liked (size wise) and it took 2 minutes of sitting it in to know it was perfect for both of us, that have different tastes.

kappy

Post by kappy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:00 pm

I had stopped at Lay-Z-Boy this past weekend. Spent 15 minutes with a guy who showed me a few models and concluded that I didn't fit well in anything. He was right. My current sofa is a Lay-Z-Boy which I bought for $500 used from a person at work. It was never really comfortable but I was young, cheap, and it had a chaise on one end which allowed me to fully support my legs. That was 7 years ago :shock:

So far, there's one sofa at Rooms-to-Go that fits me pretty well but both RTG and the sofa brand get terrible reviews. Haverty's has one thats a bit more money than I want to spend but is comfy.

katiescarlett71

Post by katiescarlett71 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:31 am

Hello Everyone - I'm trying to find advice for a couch suitable for a big and tall person. My current couch is practically laying flat on the floor in the middle so I'm looking to replace it. Funny that the loveseat is just fine - same brand and the person in my family that is the larger person is the one that uses it the most! Anyway, I'm driving myself nuts over trying to make a decision. I looked on-line at Flexsteel and I have noticed they are getting some terrible reviews - mostly about the quality of the fabric. I also emailed a local furniture store for a quote and have not received a response. I'm guessing they are expensive. I did see a result on my google search that a couch by Ashley Furniture had good reviews. I also found a Lazyboy store a few miles away but have not visited either store. I just want to save myself some aggravation. I'm looking to replace the couch soon so any suggestions would be appreciated!

katiescarlett71

Post by katiescarlett71 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:46 am

Has anyone had any experiences with the Amish furniture "England" or "Smith Brothers"? I found a local store that has them on their website. I may go there to check them out.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:31 am

Flexsteel served us well over the years.

I am 6'7" - 250, number 1 son is 6'8 and 300 while number 2 son is 6.7' - 200 pounds.

We also had a very large dog.

Ed

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:25 pm

katiescarlett71 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:31 am
Hello Everyone - I'm trying to find advice for a couch suitable for a big and tall person. My current couch is practically laying flat on the floor in the middle so I'm looking to replace it. Funny that the loveseat is just fine - same brand and the person in my family that is the larger person is the one that uses it the most! Anyway, I'm driving myself nuts over trying to make a decision. I looked on-line at Flexsteel and I have noticed they are getting some terrible reviews - mostly about the quality of the fabric. I also emailed a local furniture store for a quote and have not received a response. I'm guessing they are expensive. I did see a result on my google search that a couch by Ashley Furniture had good reviews. I also found a Lazyboy store a few miles away but have not visited either store. I just want to save myself some aggravation. I'm looking to replace the couch soon so any suggestions would be appreciated!
Ashley furniture is disposable junk. I'd bet those are phony reviews. My partner is well over 6 feet tall, although not heavy. We bought our last sofa and loveseat from Temple Furniture. You can order different seat depths depending on what is comfortable for you. We found a locally owned store that carries them and then ordered the fabric and leg style we liked. We've had it five years and it looks great.

brennok

Post by brennok » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Check out Taylor King. They have a nice custom program that is affordable. Lots of good info on http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/