What the heck is growing in my yard?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Woodshark
Posts: 401
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by Woodshark » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:27 pm

You might want to leave it alone for awhile and let the mushrooms die back naturally. That way the plant believes it has "done it's job" in the reproduction cycle and therefore will not be as likly to try to regrow the above ground mushrooms any time soon.

User avatar
Geneyus
Posts: 268
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:49 pm

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by Geneyus » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:20 pm

I have a bunch of these (almost the size of a shoebox)! I removed around 6 trees from my yard a few years ago, and they're popping up where the biggest roots were. They are obnoxious, but they are easily removed. I lightly kick them, and they disconnect from the ground in one piece.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 7933
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:05 pm

Get rid of them quick!!! That picture with the tape measure looks like two of them about to mate.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 4051
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by whodidntante » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:07 pm

Geneyus wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:20 pm
I have a bunch of these (almost the size of a shoebox)! I removed around 6 trees from my yard a few years ago, and they're popping up where the biggest roots were. They are obnoxious, but they are easily removed. I lightly kick them, and they disconnect from the ground in one piece.
That sounds like fun.

mindboggling
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:35 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by mindboggling » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:35 pm

Avoid eye contact. If it has no eyes, avoid all contact. --Firesign Theatre
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

typical.investor
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:17 am

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by typical.investor » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:45 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:35 pm
Alien creature!
Have you attempted to establish communication?

Radjob4me
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:08 am

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by Radjob4me » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:28 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:52 am
Thanks everyone for the help. I’m am going to dig up, cover with fresh top soil and seed as someone above suggested.

And while I appreciate everyones concern, there is 0 chance I’m eating something that just shot up in my yard. I mean, if a hamburger appeared on your front doorstep, would you eat it? :D
Hamburger - no.

Margarita, yes. (In fact we were renting a beach house this summer and a woman from next door showed up with margaritas. That was nice...)

GrowthSeeker
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by GrowthSeeker » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:53 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:52 am
Thanks everyone for the help. I’m am going to dig up, cover with fresh top soil and seed as someone above suggested.

And while I appreciate everyones concern, there is 0 chance I’m eating something that just shot up in my yard. I mean, if a hamburger appeared on your front doorstep, would you eat it? :D
Well, that's what I did to whatever giant mushroom I had growing at the base of an oak tree; a week later I was telling the story to friends, and the one was an avid mushroom fanatic. He started describing details about its appearance and I kept saying "yes" it looked just like that. He was crushed when he learned I had dug it up and pitched it. He would have enjoyed eating it immensely.

Surely there must be a mushroom fanatic in your area.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

MI_bogle
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:56 pm

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by MI_bogle » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:01 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:52 am
Thanks everyone for the help. I’m am going to dig up, cover with fresh top soil and seed as someone above suggested.

And while I appreciate everyones concern, there is 0 chance I’m eating something that just shot up in my yard. I mean, if a hamburger appeared on your front doorstep, would you eat it? :D
I eat stuff I find in my neighborhood all the time. Paw paws, apples, oyster mushrooms, hen of the woods, morels, plums, etc

If a burger appeared on my front doorstep, I wouldn't eat it because it likely would be in the "danger zone" for food borne pathogens. But if there was a cow in my backyard I'd damn sure make a hamburger out of it...

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 7933
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:18 am

MI_bogle wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:01 am
...I eat stuff I find in my neighborhood all the time. Paw paws, apples, oyster mushrooms, hen of the woods, morels, plums, etc...
What about by the side of the road? :D
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Uniballer
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:55 am

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by Uniballer » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:09 am

cheese_breath wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:18 am
MI_bogle wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:01 am
...I eat stuff I find in my neighborhood all the time. Paw paws, apples, oyster mushrooms, hen of the woods, morels, plums, etc...
What about by the side of the road? :D
You mean, like, Road Kill Jerky?

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 7933
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:28 am

Uniballer wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:09 am
cheese_breath wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:18 am
MI_bogle wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:01 am
...I eat stuff I find in my neighborhood all the time. Paw paws, apples, oyster mushrooms, hen of the woods, morels, plums, etc...
What about by the side of the road? :D
You mean, like, Road Kill Jerky?
Exactly. Bogleheads live within their means and never waste dead animals. Have to make some Roadkill Tacos soon, or go to Jack In The Box.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Uniballer
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:55 am

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by Uniballer » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:42 am


MI_bogle
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:56 pm

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by MI_bogle » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:27 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:18 am
MI_bogle wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:01 am
...I eat stuff I find in my neighborhood all the time. Paw paws, apples, oyster mushrooms, hen of the woods, morels, plums, etc...
What about by the side of the road? :D
You jest, but been there, done that. A few years ago I was about 1/2 mile from home when a truck just in front of me hit a deer. Minimal body damage as the deer's head/neck were the only thing hit. Went home, swapped the car for my truck, came back and the responding policeman wrote me a permit to take it home. No difference between a fresh roadkill like that and one you harvested yourself

Most DNR law enforcement and rural police have a "roadkill hotline list" of people that want a deer. They call em whenever they respond to a roadkill deer that is in good shape

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 7933
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:36 pm

MI_bogle wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:27 pm
cheese_breath wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:18 am
MI_bogle wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:01 am
...I eat stuff I find in my neighborhood all the time. Paw paws, apples, oyster mushrooms, hen of the woods, morels, plums, etc...
What about by the side of the road? :D
You jest, but been there, done that. A few years ago I was about 1/2 mile from home when a truck just in front of me hit a deer. Minimal body damage as the deer's head/neck were the only thing hit. Went home, swapped the car for my truck, came back and the responding policeman wrote me a permit to take it home. No difference between a fresh roadkill like that and one you harvested yourself

Most DNR law enforcement and rural police have a "roadkill hotline list" of people that want a deer. They call em whenever they respond to a roadkill deer that is in good shape
You're not the only one, but it was pheasant, not deer. And it was friend, not me. Friend and wife own cabin deep in the woods in northern UP. Were out for a ride and pheasant flew right in front of them. Friend got out of car and picked it up, and wife cooked it for dinner.

Oh yes, and it was Larry, Darryl and Darryl who served the roadkill dinners at their restaurant on the Newhart show.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18389
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:51 pm

No experience - but I think I would distinguish eating "roadkill" between a very recently killed deer and things like squirrels, raccoons and woodchucks. :D

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18389
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:51 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:51 pm
No experience - but I think I would distinguish eating "roadkill" between a very recently killed deer and things like squirrels, raccoons and woodchucks. :D
Pheasant (freshly killed) would seem OK to me.

Moneta
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:08 pm

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by Moneta » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:31 pm

A morel mushroom appeared in my yard. I sliced it up and sautéed it in butter. It was delicious!

WWJBDo
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:43 am
Location: San Diego

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by WWJBDo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:43 pm

Ask Here. You will get an answer...

https://www.reddit.com/r/whatsthisplant/

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18389
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:50 pm

Moneta wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:31 pm
A morel mushroom appeared in my yard. I sliced it up and sautéed it in butter. It was delicious!
Glad, for you, it wasn't a toadstool..

User avatar
dratkinson
Posts: 4329
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: Centennial CO

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by dratkinson » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:06 pm

Only deer I every got was with a 327 (in '62 Chevy Impala). Forester BIL harvested it after calling the police. Cost me a headlight and trim ring. Think I eventually ate some of that deer.


Waste not, want not. After you eat the inside out of roadkill, can turn the outside into carrion luggage.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2245
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: What the heck is growing in my yard?

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:27 pm

*groan* :happy

Post Reply