What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
arf30
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:55 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by arf30 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:03 pm

Would it make sense to have the CSR + CFU combo if I'd be spending 20k/year on the CFU for general spending but only about 3-4k on the CSR for travel and dining? I'm guessing this would be 40k UR points a year, but not sure how that would compare to the ~$500 per year cash back I normally get from the Citi DC card.

TravelGeek
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by TravelGeek » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:16 pm

arf30 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:03 pm
Would it make sense to have the CSR + CFU combo if I'd be spending 20k/year on the CFU for general spending but only about 3-4k on the CSR for travel and dining? I'm guessing this would be 40k UR points a year, but not sure how that would compare to the ~$500 per year cash back I normally get from the Citi DC card.
It depends on how much value you can extract out of the UR points. Taking the points guy valuation of 2.0 - 2.2 cents per point, you'd get about $800. Subtract the $150 net AF for the CSR. So $650. How much do you value the additional benefits the CSR offers you? E.g. primary rental car insurance or lounge access or travel insurance? And ... how likely are you actually going to redeem the UR points? (you only get value if you use them; with cash that's easy). And obviously, if you are able and willing to use the points in MikeG62 style (look a few posts up-thread), you get a lot more value out of the UR points.

Yukon
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:10 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Yukon » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:53 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:45 pm
MikeG62 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:42 pm
Providing another example of the power of the Chase Sapphire Reserve.

Today I booked a two night stay in Washington DC (for next month) at a Hyatt Property. Cash rate for the room was $1,060 (all-in) while the award rate was 30,000 points. I transferred 30,000 of my Chase UR points to Hyatt (took less than 1 minute for the points to show up in my Hyatt account) and used the points to satisfy the full room cost.

Since it took $10,000 in charges to earn the 30,000 Chase UR points, the return on each dollar spent in this case was 10.6%. Hard to beat that (outside of bonus awards from CC churning).

I've done this before with a Hyatt property, but this is the first time I've gotten the value of Chase UR points over 10 cents on the dollar.
I get your math, but here's the rub: The average guy isn't gonna spend $530 per night to stay in a hotel anywhere. The only way to get your 10.6% is to do inflated luxury travel. Perhaps you'd do it anyway, so for you it truly is a 10.6% return. But I'd venture to guess that most (but not all) would not actually spend $1060 to stay in a hotel anywhere for two nights.
Exactly. Hotels.com has a 3.5 star hotel rated 8.8 for $109/night available Friday 11/16-11/18 in DC. Subsidizing higher level travel luxuries is a nice perk, but I don't think it's a straight line valuation for claiming 10.6%. A smarter low cost "indexer" might calculate the # of UR points per night stay, etc. Costs matter :)
Don't Work Forever.

cwoo
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:14 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by cwoo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:39 pm

anyone has used the points in airbnb? if so how?

PolarBearMarket
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:52 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by PolarBearMarket » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:49 pm

arf30 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:03 pm
Would it make sense to have the CSR + CFU combo if I'd be spending 20k/year on the CFU for general spending but only about 3-4k on the CSR for travel and dining? I'm guessing this would be 40k UR points a year, but not sure how that would compare to the ~$500 per year cash back I normally get from the Citi DC card.
If you're only spending 3-4K on travel with the CSR, you'll need the points bump from the CFU to make up for it. I know TPG values them higher, but I find that for most things that I actually use the points on (airline travel with airlines I don't have enough miles with), the value of UR points to me is 1.5.

I do still use the CFU over the Citi DC because 1.5*1.5=2.25% back, which beats my Citi DC by 0.25pp. Given your numbers of $4K CSR spend + $20k CFU spend, my math puts you at $80 value for the CSR (4.5%-2% opportunity cost with Citi DC * 4K) and $50 value for the CFU (2.25%-2% opportunity cost with Citi DC * 20K). This puts you $20 shy of the $150 marginal CSR annual fee.

Thus, if you think you can do marginally better than 1.5x for points like TPG, or you value the perks of the CSR (rental car insurance, lounge access, cool metal card that doesn't swipe well, etc), then I can see it being worth it. But it's close either way.

arf30
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:55 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by arf30 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:15 pm

I think our math is similar, here's my rough calculation assuming 1.5 cents per UR. I'll probably stick with the Citi card until I've got a big travel year.

Citi DC: 25k * .02 = $500

CFU: 20k * 1.5 = UR30k
CSR: 5k * 3 = UR15k
CSR + CFU: UR45k * 1.5 = 67.5kUR
Total 67.5kUR = $675 - $150AF = $525

madbrain
Posts: 5067
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by madbrain » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:46 pm

PolarBearMarket wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:49 pm
I do still use the CFU over the Citi DC because 1.5*1.5=2.25% back, which beats my Citi DC by 0.25pp.
I have the CFU, Citi DC, and CSR. I don't use the CFU at all anymore.
I don't assume the 2.25% from CFU vs 2% Citi DC. The later is cash, the former is only when rededemed for travel through the Chase portal.
Very often, flights or hotels that I want are not available through the Chase portal. Or the prices are more than the best I can find elsewhere.
Also, the benefits from the Citi DC are well worth it : price rewind, extra 24 months of warranty coverage.

Chase has eliminated price protection from most if not all cards.

At this point, since I haven't gotten any new card in a while, I use :
CSR for dining and travel - redmeeable for 3% in cash, or 4.5% on Chase portal
CIC (Chase Ink Cash ) for internet and satellite bill . Redeemable for 5% in cash or 7.5% on Chase portal, when combined with CSR
Wells Fargo Cashwise VISA for cell phone bill (the free cell phone insurance has paid back for $1500 for cell phone replacements and repairs in the past 2 years)
Citi Costco for Costco spending, which is most of our groceries
Citi DC for everything else

Yes, that's a lot of cards, but I have Samsung pay to manage it all, and only carry the CSR physically for restaurants (it's inconvenient to use it there).
Chase ink cash does not work with Samsung pay, but that's OK since it's only used for recurring bills.

I have given up completely on BofA after a terrible experience with their customer service. Have pulled all my assets out of Merrill too.

The only card I pay an annual fee for is the CSR, with my husband as authorized user. So that's a $225 net fee per year after using the $300 travel credit.

Peppergrass
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:25 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Peppergrass » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:02 pm

I have a new one.. as I believe I wrote on this post about my BOA cards

they have a new one or new to me.. platinum rewards card.. works for international travel fees, and has a higher reward bonus back.. they have changed the point system, to a new one, but I still calculate that I will earn more jus having this card, and ONE card.. can't beat carrying one card.. as I use to have their travel reward and regular reward one..

I believe strategically yes you can beat this, but you can't beat the simplicity which is what I am after, rewards second.

rjbraun
Posts: 1233
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by rjbraun » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:11 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:09 pm
ForeverInvestorILL wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:06 am
This has been a very interesting thread to follow.

My credit card strategy is fairly simple (I think in relative terms to what I’ve read here lol):

1. Chase Sapphire Reserve - 3x on travel and dining
2. Chase Ink Cash - 5x on AT&T cell phone bill and 2x on gas
3. Chase Freedom Unlimited - 1.5x on everything else
That is my foundation as well, with the same cards. I will also add that my Amazon spend is generally covered by gift cards purchased with the Ink Cash for 5x UR at an office supply store.

It gets temporarily modified, though, when I have a new card to earn the signup bonus. 2-3 times a year so far, but that will slow down now. And sometimes one of my other cards has temporary bonuses that may shift my spend. E.g., my UA Select Visa has a “spend $3k by EOY, get 5k UA miles” offer.
Can you buy Amazon gift cards at an office supply store with no fee?

I use my Ink Cash card at Staples to generate 5x UR for Whole Foods gift cards, which are available with no fee for the electronic versions (I avoid the physical ones that involve a fee). I don't see Amazon listed among the gift cards sold at Staples, but I would definitely be interested to buy no-fee Amazon gift cards at another office supply store.

Thanks in advance for any help on this front.

ZinCO
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by ZinCO » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:02 am

rjbraun wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:11 am

Can you buy Amazon gift cards at an office supply store with no fee?

I use my Ink Cash card at Staples to generate 5x UR for Whole Foods gift cards, which are available with no fee for the electronic versions (I avoid the physical ones that involve a fee). I don't see Amazon listed among the gift cards sold at Staples, but I would definitely be interested to buy no-fee Amazon gift cards at another office supply store.

Thanks in advance for any help on this front.
OfficeMax and Office Depot do (in-store only), Staples does not. I buy lots of them over the year and just immediately load them into our accounts, never a problem. And then you can use that credit to buy any gift card that Amazon has, fee-free, effectively getting a 10% discount on any card Amazon sells (if you value UR at $.02/pt).

rjbraun
Posts: 1233
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by rjbraun » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:54 am

ZinCO wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:02 am
rjbraun wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:11 am

Can you buy Amazon gift cards at an office supply store with no fee?

I use my Ink Cash card at Staples to generate 5x UR for Whole Foods gift cards, which are available with no fee for the electronic versions (I avoid the physical ones that involve a fee). I don't see Amazon listed among the gift cards sold at Staples, but I would definitely be interested to buy no-fee Amazon gift cards at another office supply store.

Thanks in advance for any help on this front.
OfficeMax and Office Depot do (in-store only), Staples does not. I buy lots of them over the year and just immediately load them into our accounts, never a problem. And then you can use that credit to buy any gift card that Amazon has, fee-free, effectively getting a 10% discount on any card Amazon sells (if you value UR at $.02/pt).
Nice, wish I had an OfficeMax or Office Depot near me! Just checked, nothing even close :(

Thanks for the tip, will need to keep an eye out for store openings ...

TravelGeek
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:19 am

rjbraun wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:54 am

Nice, wish I had an OfficeMax or Office Depot near me! Just checked, nothing even close :(

Thanks for the tip, will need to keep an eye out for store openings ...
Or buy some if you travel to an area that does have the brick and mortar stores.
rjbraun wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:11 am
I use my Ink Cash card at Staples to generate 5x UR for Whole Foods gift cards, which are available with no fee for the electronic versions (I avoid the physical ones that involve a fee).
I sometimes buy physical Whole Foods gift cards at Office Depot because the WH store is right next to it, so I combine the trips. But I am not a regular WH shopper (store isn’t particularly conveniently located for us), so it is a rare occurrence. The point I wanted to make, though, is that in my experience no merchant-specific physical gift cards available at OD come with fees. I have only seen fees for Visa/Amex/MC prepaid debit cards.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18556
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:55 pm

Starting today (11 October 2018), you can play Marriott sweepstakes for 29 days to win various prizes: https://29ways.marriott.com/en-us/
Today, I got 50 Marriott points. Tomorrow is another day.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

drummerboy
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:08 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by drummerboy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:41 am

I'm currently a Chase Sapphire Reserve / Chase Freedom Unlimited User. It's been great.

But, I think Amex has changed the game. (Especially if you are a Schwab customer).

In the Combo CSR/CFU world, the annual fee is Net: $200 (after the $300 travel credit + $25yr for Global Entry) + ($75 a year for extra card holder).

In the Combo Amex Gold/Schwab Platinum, the Net Annual Fee is: $130 (Schwab credits $100 a yr if assets over $250k, $200 a year if assets over $1m). Basically, for me the Gold card is $30 a year, the Platinum is $100. (and that INCLUDES a $175 fee for the additional card members).

The Amex Combo gives you:
  • 5 Points on Flights (4 on Gold, 5 on Platinum)
  • 5 Points on Prepaid Lodging (through Platinum)
  • 4 Points on Dining (through Gold)
  • 4 Points on Groceries (through Gold)
  • If you want to transfer points to Cash, Schwab pays a 1.25 factor per point into your Schwab account. (For example, the signup bonus of 60,000 points is worth $750 in cash)
So if my spending was consistent next year as this year, I would earn almost double the $$$ in Cash with Amex combo versus the Chase combo. (Point total advantage is 50% higher with Amex).

The new Amex Gold is what changed the math for this. Why also carry the Schwab Platinum Amex? Better cash conversion rate, access to all the Platinum "perks" (travel lounges), better point total on travel (flights).

theplayer11
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by theplayer11 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:05 am

136k avios points will fly 2 people Business class from Bos or NY(probably other cities, haven't checked) to Madrid on Iberia. From there, hope on Ryan Air to cheaply fly to any European City.
BA, Aer Lingus and Iberia all have 100k point credit card offers. I believe it's 50k points if spend 3k, 75k points on $10k, 100k points on $20k. For those that own a business, easy to get. For those with a spouse as owner, you can double it. OR...just transfer Chase points.
136k points for business class to Europe is great value.

nps
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:18 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by nps » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:52 am

drummerboy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:41 am
In the Combo Amex Gold/Schwab Platinum, the Net Annual Fee is: $130 (Schwab credits $100 a yr if assets over $250k, $200 a year if assets over $1m). Basically, for me the Gold card is $30 a year, the Platinum is $100. (and that INCLUDES a $175 fee for the additional card members).
I'm not following that net reduction, can you break it out further? I think the annual fees of Schwab Platinum and the new AMEX Gold card total $800 without considering authorized users.

drummerboy
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:08 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by drummerboy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:03 am

nps wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:52 am
drummerboy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:41 am
In the Combo Amex Gold/Schwab Platinum, the Net Annual Fee is: $130 (Schwab credits $100 a yr if assets over $250k, $200 a year if assets over $1m). Basically, for me the Gold card is $30 a year, the Platinum is $100. (and that INCLUDES a $175 fee for the additional card members).
I'm not following that net reduction, can you break it out further? I think the annual fees of Schwab Platinum and the new AMEX Gold card total $800 without considering authorized users.
Here's my breakdown:
  • Amex Gold - $250 yr
  • Schwab Amex Platinum - $550 yr
  • -- Value Credits:
  • Uber Dollars (Platinum)- $200 yr
  • Grubhub Dollars (Gold) - $120 yr
  • Airline Fee Credit (Gold) - $100 yr
  • Airline Fee Credit (Platinum) - $200 yr
  • GlobalEntry Fee Credit (Platinum) - $25 yr ($100 divided by 4 years)
  • Schwab Customer Credit - $200
$800 a year in Fees
$845 a year in Value

If I add the extra user on Platinum, it goes from $-45 a year, to $130 a year ($175 for 3 extra Platinum users)

nps
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:18 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by nps » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:38 am

drummerboy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:03 am
nps wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:52 am
drummerboy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:41 am
In the Combo Amex Gold/Schwab Platinum, the Net Annual Fee is: $130 (Schwab credits $100 a yr if assets over $250k, $200 a year if assets over $1m). Basically, for me the Gold card is $30 a year, the Platinum is $100. (and that INCLUDES a $175 fee for the additional card members).
I'm not following that net reduction, can you break it out further? I think the annual fees of Schwab Platinum and the new AMEX Gold card total $800 without considering authorized users.
Here's my breakdown:
  • Amex Gold - $250 yr
  • Schwab Amex Platinum - $550 yr
  • -- Value Credits:
  • Uber Dollars (Platinum)- $200 yr
  • Grubhub Dollars (Gold) - $120 yr
  • Airline Fee Credit (Gold) - $100 yr
  • Airline Fee Credit (Platinum) - $200 yr
  • GlobalEntry Fee Credit (Platinum) - $25 yr ($100 divided by 4 years)
  • Schwab Customer Credit - $200
$800 a year in Fees
$845 a year in Value

If I add the extra user on Platinum, it goes from $-45 a year, to $130 a year ($175 for 3 extra Platinum users)
Ok thanks. I've currently got CSR/CFU combo. The $300 travel credit from CSR is like cash back to me but I wouldn't fully realize many of the values of the AMEX combo (Uber, GrubHub, airline incidental fees). I was lucky enough to get in on the 3 percent CFU offer for one year so would stick with my current combo in the short term anyway, but I plan to re-evaluate when that is up.

I also have two Blue Cash Preferreds for the grocery benefit, I am wondering if there is a way that the more expensive single AMEX Gold could come out ahead under the new terms? Could 4x MR points ever work out to a better value than 6 percent cash back enough to offset the $60 fee difference?

ResearchMed
Posts: 7211
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:03 am

drummerboy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:03 am
nps wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:52 am
drummerboy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:41 am
In the Combo Amex Gold/Schwab Platinum, the Net Annual Fee is: $130 (Schwab credits $100 a yr if assets over $250k, $200 a year if assets over $1m). Basically, for me the Gold card is $30 a year, the Platinum is $100. (and that INCLUDES a $175 fee for the additional card members).
I'm not following that net reduction, can you break it out further? I think the annual fees of Schwab Platinum and the new AMEX Gold card total $800 without considering authorized users.
Here's my breakdown:
  • Amex Gold - $250 yr
  • Schwab Amex Platinum - $550 yr
  • -- Value Credits:
  • Uber Dollars (Platinum)- $200 yr
  • Grubhub Dollars (Gold) - $120 yr
  • Airline Fee Credit (Gold) - $100 yr
  • Airline Fee Credit (Platinum) - $200 yr
  • GlobalEntry Fee Credit (Platinum) - $25 yr ($100 divided by 4 years)
  • Schwab Customer Credit - $200
$800 a year in Fees
$845 a year in Value

If I add the extra user on Platinum, it goes from $-45 a year, to $130 a year ($175 for 3 extra Platinum users)
What do the Schwab Amex Gold and Platinum offer that "regular" Amex Gold and Platinum do not offer?
Especially the Plat, as that is what we currently have.
Do the Authorized User fee/benefits differ?

We make good use of the Amex MR points (prem international air travel), so we must keep at least some sort of Amex product, but we make better/more use of the AA Citi points program. (There are some places that we need Amex MR points for airlines that AA Citi points don't work.)

We are just now starting to revisit which cards to add/change, if any.
Our Amex cards (separately, for each of us) are our oldest cards by several decades, so we'd rather not drop those entirely.

Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Freefun
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Freefun » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:08 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:03 am
drummerboy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:03 am
nps wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:52 am
drummerboy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:41 am
In the Combo Amex Gold/Schwab Platinum, the Net Annual Fee is: $130 (Schwab credits $100 a yr if assets over $250k, $200 a year if assets over $1m). Basically, for me the Gold card is $30 a year, the Platinum is $100. (and that INCLUDES a $175 fee for the additional card members).
I'm not following that net reduction, can you break it out further? I think the annual fees of Schwab Platinum and the new AMEX Gold card total $800 without considering authorized users.
Here's my breakdown:
  • Amex Gold - $250 yr
  • Schwab Amex Platinum - $550 yr
  • -- Value Credits:
  • Uber Dollars (Platinum)- $200 yr
  • Grubhub Dollars (Gold) - $120 yr
  • Airline Fee Credit (Gold) - $100 yr
  • Airline Fee Credit (Platinum) - $200 yr
  • GlobalEntry Fee Credit (Platinum) - $25 yr ($100 divided by 4 years)
  • Schwab Customer Credit - $200
$800 a year in Fees
$845 a year in Value

If I add the extra user on Platinum, it goes from $-45 a year, to $130 a year ($175 for 3 extra Platinum users)
What do the Schwab Amex Gold and Platinum offer that "regular" Amex Gold and Platinum do not offer?
Especially the Plat, as that is what we currently have.
Do the Authorized User fee/benefits differ?

We make good use of the Amex MR points (prem international air travel), so we must keep at least some sort of Amex product, but we make better/more use of the AA Citi points program. (There are some places that we need Amex MR points for airlines that AA Citi points don't work.)

We are just now starting to revisit which cards to add/change, if any.
Our Amex cards (separately, for each of us) are our oldest cards by several decades, so we'd rather not drop those entirely.

Thanks.

RM
Similar benefits but lower fee. $100 or $200 off if your Schwab balance is over 250k or 1m respectively.

Edit: also you get the bonus again - at least I did. When the Schwab plat card came out I switched (already had a plat card) and they gave me another 75k bonus since they apparently consider it a different product. Suggest checking in case rules have changed.

Edit 2: If you already have plat card and you switch to Schwab plat card, I don't think your account changes. Mine didn't. I got a new plat card but it had the same account as my old plat card. So if you've had your account for decades I don't think you'll lose anything as you retain the same account- the only differences I'm aware of is less AF and the card says "schwab" on it. And you get the bonus again. Hard to complain.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

drummerboy
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:08 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by drummerboy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:31 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:03 am
What do the Schwab Amex Gold and Platinum offer that "regular" Amex Gold and Platinum do not offer?
Especially the Plat, as that is what we currently have.
Do the Authorized User fee/benefits differ?

RM
Actually, I'd recommend the "normal" Amex Gold (the points back was revised recently) paired with the Schwab Platinum.

The standard Schwab Amex isn't that special.

ResearchMed
Posts: 7211
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:40 pm

drummerboy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:31 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:03 am
What do the Schwab Amex Gold and Platinum offer that "regular" Amex Gold and Platinum do not offer?
Especially the Plat, as that is what we currently have.
Do the Authorized User fee/benefits differ?

RM
Actually, I'd recommend the "normal" Amex Gold (the points back was revised recently) paired with the Schwab Platinum.

The standard Schwab Amex isn't that special.
Interesting, thanks.

Will all the points still be combined in one account?

Also, what do you mean by "points back"?
Are we overlooking something we already get, or are we missing out on something we should be signing up for?

Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

madbrain
Posts: 5067
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by madbrain » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:37 pm

drummerboy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:03 am
Here's my breakdown:
  • Amex Gold - $250 yr
  • Schwab Amex Platinum - $550 yr
  • -- Value Credits:
  • Uber Dollars (Platinum)- $200 yr
  • Grubhub Dollars (Gold) - $120 yr
  • Airline Fee Credit (Gold) - $100 yr
  • Airline Fee Credit (Platinum) - $200 yr
  • GlobalEntry Fee Credit (Platinum) - $25 yr ($100 divided by 4 years)
  • Schwab Customer Credit - $200
$800 a year in Fees
$845 a year in Value

If I add the extra user on Platinum, it goes from $-45 a year, to $130 a year ($175 for 3 extra Platinum users)
I'm glad the math works for you, but it certainly wouldn't for me.
1) Uber dollars - I spend $0 on this. I cancelled my Platinum when Amex raised the fee and added this "benefit"
2) Grubhub - never used this and never will
3) Airline fee credit (Platinum) . I found this really hard to use as I fly mostly foreign airlines. I bought some credits on United and Delta . Still have them years later as I'm not able to redeem them for the itineraries I want to.
4) GlobalEntry fee . I wouldn't otherwise pay for this, so I don't discount it.
5) $200 Schwab customer credit - with $1 million in assets, you can get much more than that by moving them to another brokerage every year, and back. So you are losing the opportunity costs of keeping your assets at Schwab.

CSR math is pretty simple :
$450 annual fee
$75 authorized user fee
less
$300 travel credit
net cost : $225 .
For this I get
- travel insurance . This is not provided on Amex platinum or gold, and a very important benefit for me.
- priority pass, which actually saves money that we would otherwise spend on overpriced food at airports. And I have to say taking a shower in a few places in the middle of long trips during layovers has been very nice.
- better redemption rate on travel rewards

Rader
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:29 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Rader » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:34 am

I already have a chase sapphire preferred and they won't let me get the sign on bonus for the CSR. Is there anyway around it? Or should I just stick with my CSP. I only travel like once or twice a year... I do eat out A LOT though.

boglesmind
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:07 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by boglesmind » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:55 am

madbrain wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:37 pm
drummerboy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:03 am
Here's my breakdown:
  • Amex Gold - $250 yr
  • Schwab Amex Platinum - $550 yr
  • -- Value Credits:
  • Uber Dollars (Platinum)- $200 yr
  • Grubhub Dollars (Gold) - $120 yr
  • Airline Fee Credit (Gold) - $100 yr
  • Airline Fee Credit (Platinum) - $200 yr
  • GlobalEntry Fee Credit (Platinum) - $25 yr ($100 divided by 4 years)
  • Schwab Customer Credit - $200
$800 a year in Fees
$845 a year in Value

If I add the extra user on Platinum, it goes from $-45 a year, to $130 a year ($175 for 3 extra Platinum users)
I'm glad the math works for you, but it certainly wouldn't for me.
1) Uber dollars - I spend $0 on this. I cancelled my Platinum when Amex raised the fee and added this "benefit"
2) Grubhub - never used this and never will
3) Airline fee credit (Platinum) . I found this really hard to use as I fly mostly foreign airlines. I bought some credits on United and Delta . Still have them years later as I'm not able to redeem them for the itineraries I want to.
4) GlobalEntry fee . I wouldn't otherwise pay for this, so I don't discount it.
5) $200 Schwab customer credit - with $1 million in assets, you can get much more than that by moving them to another brokerage every year, and back. So you are losing the opportunity costs of keeping your assets at Schwab.

CSR math is pretty simple :
$450 annual fee
$75 authorized user fee
less
$300 travel credit
net cost : $225 .
For this I get
- travel insurance . This is not provided on Amex platinum or gold, and a very important benefit for me.
- priority pass, which actually saves money that we would otherwise spend on overpriced food at airports. And I have to say taking a shower in a few places in the middle of long trips during layovers has been very nice.
- better redemption rate on travel rewards
Same here. In addition,
- CSR provides primary coverage for car rentals and we used it for about 30-40 days in a year. Peace of mind and savings of about $1000-$1200.
- GlobalEntry benefit has saved us countless hours on foreign travel as well as state-side travel since we get TSApre automatically.

Boglesmind

Post Reply