Considering new Honda Pilot, other suggestions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Isabelle77

Considering new Honda Pilot, other suggestions?

Post by Isabelle77 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:56 pm

Hey all,

We are looking at buying a new 2019 Honda Pilot, we've enjoyed our 2013 Pilot so it seemed like an obvious choice but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Also going to check out Toyota Highlanders but they seem more expensive for a similar car.

Must haves:
Seating for 7. That third row is a must for us, I only have 2 kids but I drive 5 kids to school every day.
AWD. We live in the Portland area and we're up on Mt. Hood most weekends in the winter, otherwise I'd consider a minivan.
Around 40K, give or take say 5K.

Thanks for your help!

ClemsonBogle

Re: Considering new Honda Pilot, other suggestions?

Post by ClemsonBogle » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:03 pm

Toyota Highlander and Subaru Ascent if looking at new which i assume you are.
Hyundai is coming out with a full size soon but depends on when you want to buy.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:06 pm

How many miles on the 2013 Pilot? That is a pretty new car still.

If your Honda dealer is close, provides good service and you have a good existing relationship, it makes sense to stay the course.

There are many good options in that 3rd row, not a minivan segment. But, staying with what you know is a good option.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:06 pm

ClemsonBogle wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:03 pm
Toyota Highlander and Subaru Ascent if looking at new which i assume you are.
Hyundai is coming out with a full size soon but depends on when you want to buy.
Thanks, I was wondering about Subaru and will add it to the list. We had a horrible experience with Hyundai so I think that one's out anyway.

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:07 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:06 pm

If your Honda dealer is close, provides good service and you have a good existing relationship, it makes sense to stay the course.

There are many good options in that 3rd row, not a minivan segment. But, staying with what you know is a good option.
Our Pilot has 100,000 miles on it. It's going to our daughter who will be getting her license soon. :shock:

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Isabelle77 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:56 pm
Must haves:
Seating for 7. That third row is a must for us, I only have 2 kids but I drive 5 kids to school every day.
AWD. We live in the Portland area and we're up on Mt. Hood most weekends in the winter, otherwise I'd consider a minivan.
My Toyota Sienna has all those, including AWD but costs less than 40k, has a smoother ride and more storage capacity.

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:10 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:08 pm
Isabelle77 wrote:
Must haves:
My Toyota Sienna has all those, including AWD but costs less than 40k, has a smoother ride and more storage capacity.
I didn't know they had minivans with AWD!

Conch55

Post by Conch55 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:12 pm

Since the SUV's you are considering are similar your test drive will tell you a lot. A family member recently went through the same process and chose the Highlander over the Pilot after driving both.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:12 pm

Isabelle77 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:07 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:06 pm

Our Pilot has 100,000 miles on it. It's going to our daughter who will be getting her license soon. :shock:
Welcome to the teen driver party. It is a hoot. I have 2 teen girls driving. Whew. Where did my hair go?

Pilot is a pretty big vehicle for a new/teen driver. Big and safe may have some correlation, but not necessarily. It is also pretty expensive for a new teen driver who will likely play bumper cars in the school parking lot. There is no recipe book for getting teens on the road.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:14 pm

I might avoid the 9 speed transmission on Touring/Elite. The 6 Speed on the 2018 EX-L is good.

"The transmission has been problematic, as customers of Jeep, Chrysler, and Acura models equipped with the transmission have experienced problems in their vehicles regarding slow shifting and noisy operation. ZF has said this is due to software problems, not mechanical issues"

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:20 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:14 pm
I might avoid the 9 speed transmission on Touring/Elite. The 6 Speed on the 2018 EX-L is good.

"The transmission has been problematic, as customers of Jeep, Chrysler, and Acura models equipped with the transmission have experienced problems in their vehicles regarding slow shifting and noisy operation. ZF has said this is due to software problems, not mechanical issues"
Thanks, the EX-L is the trim we're looking at, it's what we currently have in the 2013.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:24 pm

I have a '18 Highlander Limited and absolutely love it. Worth checking out.
♫ Stocks go up ♫ Stocks go down ♫ Stocks go up ♫ Stocks go down ♫ - Second verse same as the first

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:29 pm

The Pilots and Highlanders look so much like minivans nowadays, that you might as well consider one. But I do think that the Sienna is the only offering in AWD.

JT

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:35 pm

Isabelle77 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:10 pm
lthenderson wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:08 pm
Isabelle77 wrote:
Must haves:
I didn't know they had minivans with AWD!
To my knowledge only 2017 and newer Sienna's offer it.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:48 pm

Just get another pilot, we still have our 2007 model. Honda is a (fairly) safe bet. Your budget dictates that you must stay away from the Luxo brands but that's ok - you're not really missing out on very much these days.

eugenem

Post by eugenem » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:51 pm

The Toyota Sienna is the only minivan with an AWD option.

My wife and I have a 2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD and 2015 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD in the household. While both vehicles have three rows of seating, the Sienna is significantly better at child and cargo hauling. Sliding doors help at school drop-off/pick-up, particularly for little ones. It's also a lot easier to install car seats in the Sienna than the MDX.

The one advantage the MDX has over the Sienna is that it handles a lot better on curvy roads, but that's IMHO only. My wife much prefers the Sienna and calls it the "smooth-mobile"

eugenem

Post by eugenem » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:56 pm

Here's a more detailed summary (including pros and cons) that I wrote on another forum about three years ownership with a Toyota Sienna AWD
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/u ... ear-review

jfn111

Post by jfn111 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:29 pm

I have a Honda CRV for my work car and we were looking at the Pilot to replace our Chevrolet Traverse. After looking at both we bought a new Traverse. Larger inside hauling capacity and all the saftey features you want in a new vehicle.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:14 pm

In 2017 I compared Pilot to Highlander. We bought the Highlander. Great vehicle, 20K no problem miles. 27-30 Hwy MPG. Wife and I love it for in town or 1300 mile road trips.

Typ997S

Post by Typ997S » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:30 pm

Out of left field, let me suggest you check out the Buick Enclave and its platform mate, the Chevy Traverse. I never thought I'd say "I bought a Buick," but in March my wife and I bought a 2018 Enclave. It's still early days, but we're very happy so far. IMHO, the Enclave/Traverse is one of the few 3-row unibody SUVs where adults can actually sit in the 3rd row and/or carry some cargo while having the 3rd row in use. The interior is very nice and the build quality seems good. I'm a long time "foreign car" buyer (many Hondas, Toyota, Porsche, BMW, etc.) but I'm pleasantly surprised with the quality of vehicle GM is turning out these days. I'm on my second Chevy Volt, and I love it.

Re the Pilot, I would be wary of the transmission, as mentioned up-thread, as well as the infotainment interface. They may have fixed the infotainment for 2019, but I'm not sure...make sure you're OK with it. Good luck!

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:47 pm

eugenem wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:51 pm
The Toyota Sienna is the only minivan with an AWD option.

My wife and I have a 2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD and 2015 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD in the household. While both vehicles have three rows of seating, the Sienna is significantly better at child and cargo hauling. Sliding doors help at school drop-off/pick-up, particularly for little ones. It's also a lot easier to install car seats in the Sienna than the MDX.

The one advantage the MDX has over the Sienna is that it handles a lot better on curvy roads, but that's IMHO only. My wife much prefers the Sienna and calls it the "smooth-mobile"
Yep, the Sienna is the only van offering AWD. And I agree that a van offers much more utility than a crossover/SUV in terms of passenger capacity and comfort, ingress and egress to the second and third rows, and cargo hauling. And the sliding doors are great for kids and seniors, who are prone to banging swinging doors into adjacent vehicles.

My wife and I just drove the Honda Pilot and Odyssey, but haven't made it to the Toyota dealer to try the Sienna and Highlander.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

shiftleft

Post by shiftleft » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:18 pm

I've also been considering a new 2019 Pilot EX-L model.

Here are some thoughts you may want to consider.

1. It uses a traditional 6 speed transmission (EX-L) as opposed to a CVT (Subaru Ascent) and relatively new 8-speed (Toyota Highlander/Sienna) . I'm more hesitant about CVT's and the newer 8 speed based on some people's problems online.

2. Safety ratings on IIHS.org are better for the Pilot. (Small Frontal Overlap Passenger).

3. Subaru Ascent is a brand new model. There will be bugs.

crazygrow

Post by crazygrow » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:34 pm

I know it is new but supposedly the VW atlas has the best room in the 3rd row. We test drove the highlander and pilot and found them gutless. The BMW was nice but third row was minuscule. Haven't looked at atlas yet but plan to despite it being brand new model.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:36 pm

FYI I believe the 2019 model has Honda Sensing safety features standard. If you don't want it, get the 2018.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:49 pm

Another Portland area resident here.

We bought a 2014 Highlander Limited which is when the current body style just came out and have about 60,000 miles on it. We live in a hilly part of the metro area (top of the hill in Camas) and my wife is in medicine so absolutely has to be able to get out on snowy/icy days or the people she is relieving can't go home. In fact her employer will put up doctors and other staff at the hotel across the street if there is any chance they can't get into work the next day due to snow/ice so she has to be able to get out. Icy roads is not an excuse for not getting to work. If you live some place that gets snowed or iced in you have to stay at the hotel in town during inclement weather.

So far the Highlander has proven to be an excellent snow car. We went to Costco and put on Bridgestone Blizzak tires for the winter and that makes all the difference. We drive up to Mt. Hood quite a bit but also do a lot of cross country skiing on the WA side up in the Trout Lake area where the roads are much more remote and snowy and less maintained. Two years ago when we had the really bad ice storms and snow I had to chain up all 4 tires on the car for her to be able to get out of our driveway and down the hill. That was when the ice was so bad that cars were sliding down sideways.

In 60,000 miles the vehicle has been 100% reliable. No issues whatsoever other than ordinary oil changes.

Word of advice on the Highlander. We looked at the 7 and 8 passenger versions. The difference is in the 2nd row, bench seat vs bucket seats. The 7 passenger is far nicer for kids in the 3rd row because you have the aisle way between the 2nd row seats. If you have an 8 passenger and you put kids in the 3rd row they are cut off by a wall of seat from the rest of the car which is pretty isolating and claustrophobic. I didn't like it and neither did our kids when we were checking them out. Unless you absolutely need 8 seats, I'd go with the 7 passenger for the more spacious interior.
Last edited by texasdiver on Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:52 pm

Mazda CX-9. Looks great and drives better than just about any other three-row SUV.

ndlex

Post by ndlex » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:32 am

I have a 2014 Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum AWD that I purchased new, and it's been extremely disappointing from a repair standpoint. I've had all four door lock actuators fail (~$400 each), rear control arms replaced twice (first time under original warranty; second time ~$700), and a leaky sunroof that took six visits to the dealer to fix (~$600). The sunroof leak was escalated to Toyota as dealer was going to charge me $2,200 to repair it. It has 65,000 miles on it now. Luckily it was the only vehicle that I ever purchased an extended warranty on (8 years/125K miles) and I'm already ahead on what it cost ($1,495). Important to point out the sunroof leak wasn't covered by Toyota Extended warranty, but was partially paid by Toyota as it was a known issue with a TSB issued.

I got rid of a BMX X5 for this Highlander as I wanted something more reliable, and that was a mistake. The BMW was better in every way, including reliability.

My brother got a Honda Pilot after seeing what I went through with the Highlander, and it's been great for him.

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:25 am

Thank you, everyone! Lots to research. I'll let you know what we decide.

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:36 am

Typ997S wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:30 pm
Out of left field, let me suggest you check out the Buick Enclave and its platform mate, the Chevy Traverse. I never thought I'd say "I bought a Buick," but in March my wife and I bought a 2018 Enclave. It's still early days, but we're very happy so far. IMHO, the Enclave/Traverse is one of the few 3-row unibody SUVs where adults can actually sit in the 3rd row and/or carry some cargo while having the 3rd row in use. The interior is very nice and the build quality seems good. I'm a long time "foreign car" buyer (many Hondas, Toyota, Porsche, BMW, etc.) but I'm pleasantly surprised with the quality of vehicle GM is turning out these days. I'm on my second Chevy Volt, and I love it.

Re the Pilot, I would be wary of the transmission, as mentioned up-thread, as well as the infotainment interface. They may have fixed the infotainment for 2019, but I'm not sure...make sure you're OK with it. Good luck!

Agree 100% with the Enclave/Traverse having the most functional 3rd row in this class. Recently bought a 2018 Traverse and very pleased thus far.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:01 am

Bought a Honda Pilot last Dec, been very happy with it. I keep records on gas mileage and been getting 24 MPG local, 26+ on trips with the 6 speed transmission and the vehicle MPG tracking is about 1.5 MPG higher than actual. Getting the rack and hitch was helpful. We upgraded from a 14 year old CR-V and find the bigger seats more comfortable especially on long rides. I also like the big center console.

We did look at the Highlander and Outback last year as the competition, but liked the Pilot better overall. We spend $36K out the door including tax.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:07 am

Hello, just spotted this, if you are open to addition info.

I was in my Subaru dealer for service a month ago, the Subaru Ascent has some restrictions due to paint the salesman said. There is also a small recall on it for body welds as I recall him saying, I did not lock into it, as I am not in the market currently. I drive a 16 Impreza.

I worked for GM dealers for 4 decades, but have been retired for 2.5 years, so my first hand GM knowledge is stale. I cannot recommend GM at this point, I have owned $F & $GM in the past five years but sold both for different reasons, a year ago. One of my parts customers had fatal rocker panel rust on a 13 Malibu, recently and traded for Ford much to shocking surprise. The 3.6 V6 has been very problematic for GM but as I said that was 2 years ago. I do not want to be critical of anyone for their vehicle selection, but when you have worked on the inside, your standards climb with the insight obtained.

"Hyundai is coming out with a full size soon" My ongoing rule of thumb is to never purchase any major expense item the year of release. My middle name is not final product tester.

These are words of wisdom, "If your Honda dealer is close, provides good service and you have a good existing relationship, it makes sense to stay the course."

"Our Pilot has 100,000 miles on it. It's going to our daughter who will be getting her license soon."
"Welcome to the teen driver party. It is a hoot. I have 2 teen girls driving. Whew. Where did my hair go?

Pilot is a pretty big vehicle for a new/teen driver. Big and safe may have some correlation, but not necessarily. It is also pretty expensive for a new teen driver who will likely play bumper cars in the school parking lot. There is no recipe book for getting teens on the road."

I raised four, the two girls were easier on cars, but youngest had a bumper/frt fender bash, when a wrestler hit her while she was in for cheerleading practice. Yes, she went out to get a pack of gum and he was parked beside her, then gone when her practice was over, Funny thing was the paint on his truck matched the paint on the fender. Of course he denied it when the wife confronted him at his parents.Both boys totaled a car and the oldest wrecked three, so our insurance was ready to drop us. Sorry back to recommendations, LoL.

"I might avoid the 9 speed transmission on Touring/Elite. The 6 Speed on the 2018 EX-L is good." More good advice, and this is KEY! Most manufacturers have a weak link in the powertrain choices, the issue is to find it, prior to buying it.

"I have a '18 Highlander Limited and absolutely love it. Worth checking out." My nephew just got one, his previous was rearended and totalled. He likes it.

"Your budget dictates that you must stay away from the Luxo brands but that's ok - you're not really missing out on very much these days."
Safety over luxury!

"Re the Pilot, I would be wary of the transmission, as mentioned up-thread, as well as the infotainment interface. They may have fixed the infotainment for 2019, but I'm not sure...make sure you're OK with it. Good luck!"

Electronics and door wind noise is why my daughter traded her 15 Accord for a 18 Avalon Hybrid. Honda has softened slightly in product design, sad to say.

I guess I am being an echo, but totally agree with this:
1. It uses a traditional 6 speed transmission (EX-L) as opposed to a CVT (Subaru Ascent) and relatively new 8-speed (Toyota Highlander/Sienna) . I'm more hesitant about CVT's and the newer 8 speed based on some people's problems online.

2. Safety ratings on IIHS.org are better for the Pilot. (Small Frontal Overlap Passenger).

3. Subaru Ascent is a brand new model. There will be bugs.

Subaru just extended my powertrain component coverage of 16 Impreza's CVT to 100K. Safety is critical, youngest son's left ankle was indicative of the 97 Accord's rating, when he totaled it. I addressed my concerns on the Ascent earlier.

VW has always had expensive replacement parts, but IF you don't need them not an issue, I have a hard time looking at VW with the diesel cover-up in the recent past. Mazda, I will not comment on, don't know the product well enough to do so. Dealers have always been sparse in our area compared to Toyota/Honda. (OF course Subaru is also)

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:16 am

ndlex wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:32 am
I have a 2014 Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum AWD that I purchased new, and it's been extremely disappointing from a repair standpoint. I've had all four door lock actuators fail (~$400 each), rear control arms replaced twice (first time under original warranty; second time ~$700), and a leaky sunroof that took six visits to the dealer to fix (~$600). The sunroof leak was escalated to Toyota as dealer was going to charge me $2,200 to repair it. It has 65,000 miles on it now. Luckily it was the only vehicle that I ever purchased an extended warranty on (8 years/125K miles) and I'm already ahead on what it cost ($1,495). Important to point out the sunroof leak wasn't covered by Toyota Extended warranty, but was partially paid by Toyota as it was a known issue with a TSB issued.

I got rid of a BMX X5 for this Highlander as I wanted something more reliable, and that was a mistake. The BMW was better in every way, including reliability.

My brother got a Honda Pilot after seeing what I went through with the Highlander, and it's been great for him.
This post sounds like a typical day at work when I was GM parts manager. We sold a lot of door lock actuators, there is usually a small part that fails inside, but most OEM's don't service small parts for every assembly. C-Arms often don't go bad, just the pivot bushings that are NSS (not serviced separately). Ah yes that Power Sliding Sunroof module, no more cables, guides, channels or motor to stock, just a big box and a nice sale.

My brother-in-law just bought a 18 Pilot, loves it, fuel economy is impressive, quite an improvement over the 07 Pilot he kept.

My take home line is, get the Pilot.

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:27 am

Thanks Morgan Dollar, great info!

We are a never again Hyundai family. Our 2007 Santa Fe needed a new alternator and transmission in the first 50,000 miles. We were under warranty but still. When we sold it in 2016 I was thrilled. Our local dealer is also terrible.

I imagine we will wind up with a Highlander or a Pilot, likely a Pilot. We currently have a 2016 CRV and the 2013 Pilot and we like the local dealer. Our first car was a Corolla though and was a great car we had for years. Honestly, I'm hesitant about GM which probably isn't fair.

Luxury cars just don't matter to us. My husband comes from a car family so I get that some people are that way but we just want a nice car that will last and not cost a fortune to repair.

I know the 2013 Pilot is big for a teen. Part of me would put her in a tank if I could :mrgreen: We will see how she progresses on it while she's learning, we can always sell it (still worth like 17K!) and get her something smaller if necessary.

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:28 pm

Have you considered the Accura MDX ?

https://www.acura.com/mdx

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:34 am

gamboolman wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:28 pm
I agree this is a good choice in general (except for the fact that it only comes with the abysmal 9-speed automatic), but the OP just said they don't care about luxury cars. So in that light the MDX is essentially just a smaller, more expensive Pilot.

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:52 am

lazydavid wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:34 am
gamboolman wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:28 pm
I agree this is a good choice in general (except for the fact that it only comes with the abysmal 9-speed automatic), but the OP just said they don't care about luxury cars. So in that light the MDX is essentially just a smaller, more expensive Pilot.
Beautiful car. Too pricey.