Electric Lawn Mower Advice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
krappei

Electric Lawn Mower Advice

Post by krappei » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Hi,

I'm interested in buying an electric mower and have narrowed it to two very different options.
1) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-38-in ... /300422546
2) https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-21-in-5 ... /206515944

I'm hoping someone can provide some insight and steer me towards one. I'm also open to other options.

My home's lawn is rather bumpy in a northern suburb of IL due to sewage drains. I'd estimate a total of 7000 square feet to mow. Also, does anyone have experience with storing the mower or battery when not in use during winter months? More specifically, will the battery degrade quicker if it's just plugged in for a few months without any use?

Thanks!

HEDGEFUNDIE

Re: Electric Lawn Mower Advice

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:58 pm

I own the Ego and love it. Never going back to a gas powered mower again.

But I live in CA and have a postage stamp sized lawn and no temperature variations. Escaped Chicago suburbs a year ago.

vtMaps

Post by vtMaps » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:00 pm

I purchased the Ego and am very happy with it. For longest life, lithium batteries should not be stored long term at 100% charge. The Ego battery, if not used for a month, will assume it is in storage and self-discharge itself to 30% charge. This will prolong its life in storage.

By the way, most lithium battery powered devices (laptop computers, etc) leave the factory with a 30% charge.

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

Typ997S

Post by Typ997S » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:04 pm

I've had the Ego 56V mower for 2+ years now, and I'm very satisfied. Caveats are that I'm in California, so I have a small lawn, and there's not a lot of temperature variation to affect the battery. I also have the Ego leaf-blower that uses the same battery, which also works well. For all my other tools, I'm on the Ryobi One system.

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:02 am

love Ego products. If I had a small lawn I'd use their mower... but I have all their other stuff, hedge, wacker, chainsaw, blower.

I hate gas fumes and hate 2 stroke even more.

I hope Ego continues their success.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:16 am

Another satisfied Ego user here, we are a community of 30 homes that share one mower, we have two batteries so one is always charged. We get about 45 minutes to an hour on a charge.

We had a battery go bad, they sent us a new one without asking for the old one back, great service.

We also have their weed whacker, it is also a great small piece of equipment but for both units, be mindful of their capacity, not a machine you want to go after 6" lawn with.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

JoeNJ28

Post by JoeNJ28 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:21 am

I have the ryobi ride on, absolutely love it. The only drawback to it is it doesn’t handle bumps well seat could use more padding. It mows about an acre with 60% battery remaining. The instructions say to leave it plugged in when not in use and it basically trickle charges when full.

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:24 am

I have the Echo electric mower also sold at Home Depot (as well as their blower and weed trimmer). Very happy with all of them. The blower and trimmer are now every bit as heavy duty as the gas models I'd used previously. Super long battery life with them. The mower goes between 30-45 minutes on one battery. I have two so never an issue. I chose the Echo in part because they provide a 2 year warranty even for commercial use, and more so because the mower was by far the lightest of the full-sized models and easily folds up, meaning it takes less than 1/4 the space of our old gas mower. With it being super light, I no longer need the self-propelled model even on our extremely hilly lot.

The blades are quite a bit thinner than on gas models, so they need sharpening more often. An electric mower will automatically ramp blade speed up and down depending on load, so it does not create nearly as much suction as a gas mower if you are used to using it to clear leaves, etc. In thick wet grass it actually has more torque than our old Honda gas model, but the deck design seems to clog easier. Battery run-time is very short if your grass is long and wet.

I'd still never go back to gas.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:26 am

You don't need a riding lawn mower for 7000 sq ft unless you just want a toy. :D

Get the Ego. Everyone I know who has it says it's awesome. :beer

DragonJoey3

Post by DragonJoey3 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:30 am

Just got the EGO this year. Only owned it for a few months so far so I can't speak to battery reliability over the winter, but it works well for my 8,000 sq. ft. lawn in Maryland. I highly recommend it.

Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:07 am

I also love my Ego mower. It’s the second summer of use and battery still going strong, here in Texas. I love the self-propelled lever for going up slight inclines and long straightaways. I keep the battery inside during the short winter. And yes, it folds up nicely! And no hard pulls to get it started like gas mowers..... :D

krappei

Post by krappei » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:41 pm

Texgal17 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:07 am

I also love my Ego mower. It’s the second summer of use and battery still going strong, here in Texas. I love the self-propelled lever for going up slight inclines and long straightaways. I keep the battery inside during the short winter. And yes, it folds up nicely! And no hard pulls to get it started like gas mowers..... :D
Thanks for the advice everyone. You guys sold me on the Ego :). Just bought online from HD.

jjface

Post by jjface » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:47 pm

I would advise getting a second battery. I found I needed 2. But otherwise it is a great mower.

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Can't help on the brands you mentioned but, we have Greenworks mower, trimmer, blower and hedge trimmer, all using the same batteries. Ending the 3rd year of use very soom. It snowed on/off today.

Going electric battery was perfect for us. Our yard is a double lot intown, approx. 15k sq ft, that is probably 10K for mowing. It will usually take 1 and a part battery to mow as our lawn is thick and grows vigorously.

We only have about a 5 month mowing season but living next to Lake Superior provides a moist air and generally moderate temps. Perfect for lawn growth. As someone up thread mentioned, the mower will sense the need for some extra juice and that effects the battery run time.

Most people, even in the burbs, no longer will need to use gas with the improvements that have been made in recent years.

You will quickly learn to appreciate the advantages of an electric mower.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:44 pm

I have the Ego. Battery can do both my front and back yards on one charge. The battery is also compatible with my Ego trimmer, so I can swap between them as needed. It's about as loud as a vacuum cleaner, folds up, and starts with the push of a button. Highly recommended.

MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:54 pm

I have the Ryobi, and was very frustrated during the summer. First time I mowed, got about 50 minutes of mowing time, which is enough to do my front and back yard.

Then after 2-3 months of bi-weekly use, I could barely finish half the lawn ( so front OR back). Time dropped to 20 something minutes. I ended up getting frustrated and buying a second battery, so I could swap out and get the lawn done.

Now that it's cooled off, I find that I can get 75% done on one full battery, and need the second to finish everything off. If I could go back in time.....I would have just gotten a gas one.

Maybe the EGO is better, maybe I had unreal expectations, maybe I got a screwy battery....but that's my anecdote

strafe

Post by strafe » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:03 pm

Ego.

Check out the Wirecutter review as well.

epictetus

Post by epictetus » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:10 pm

I bought a Kobalt (Lowe's product) electric mower early this year. It came with 2 batteries. I have a 1/2 acre yard. I ended up buying a third battery so I would not have down time when mowing waiting on a battery to charge.

I went with Kobalt v. Ego b/c it has a true side discharge (versus discharge that Ego has) and it came with 2 batteries.

It does not throw grass out as well as gas powered mower.

The Kobalt has a 5 year warranty on the mower and a 3 year warranty on the batteries.

Overall I like it very well. It is very nice to mow without gas fumes.
Focus on what you can control