Mazda 3 w/ Snow tire or Subaru AWD with All Season Tire

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Dogbreath650

Re: Mazda 3 w/ Snow tire or Subaru AWD with All Season Tire

Post by Dogbreath650 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:25 am

I live in CO and for the last 20 years have had Subaru's with all season tires, never a problem. My son has lived in ski resort towns with a lot more snow and his Subie with all season tires does just fine....

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:59 am

CaliJim wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:29 am
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:05 pm
Will buy a used car as my daughter's 1st car. Find a Mazda3 hatchback with low mileage. test drove it. very dynamic in handling. She will drive it on snow. Just wondering if a Mazda with snow tire or should I looking for a Subaru with All Season or snow tire.
what color is the M3?The M3 is really a toyota corolla, is it not? good little car.
subaru's are great too.
give DD the maxima???
buy the subaru for yoself?
we have a subi legacy wagon outback parked out front, 2006 flat 4, oil leaks like a sieve. steel engine block. aluminium exhaust heads. wildly different coefficients of thermal expansion. no gasket can seal it. I refuse to pay for a 2nd head gasket job. supposedly they fixed this in later models. do your own research. so I've been told.
(how do you find your white maxima when there is fresh snow? sound the horn w/ the keyfob?)
Bought the grey metalic color Mazda3 hatchback, found a set of snow tires on the rim on Criaglist. It will server my DD very well all year around
I will keep my Maxima. I bought my 1999 Maxima when Nissan Auto at its pinnacle. The white color has some pearl base so it is a very shinning white. The pre CVT Maxima has the Ward reward VQ30 engine. Very quiet and capable V6 and very good 5MT. Not anymore, everyone went to turbo and CVT.
DW is looking for a Porsche Macan. I suggect her a Subaru Outerback. Let' s see.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:58 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:59 am
CaliJim wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:29 am
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:05 pm
Will buy a used car as my daughter's 1st car. Find a Mazda3 hatchback with low mileage. test drove it. very dynamic in handling. She will drive it on snow. Just wondering if a Mazda with snow tire or should I looking for a Subaru with All Season or snow tire.
what color is the M3?The M3 is really a toyota corolla, is it not? good little car.
subaru's are great too.
give DD the maxima???
buy the subaru for yoself?
we have a subi legacy wagon outback parked out front, 2006 flat 4, oil leaks like a sieve. steel engine block. aluminium exhaust heads. wildly different coefficients of thermal expansion. no gasket can seal it. I refuse to pay for a 2nd head gasket job. supposedly they fixed this in later models. do your own research. so I've been told.
(how do you find your white maxima when there is fresh snow? sound the horn w/ the keyfob?)
Bought the grey metalic color Mazda3 hatchback, found a set of snow tires on the rim on Criaglist. It will server my DD very well all year around
I will keep my Maxima. I bought my 1999 Maxima when Nissan Auto at its pinnacle. The white color has some pearl base so it is a very shinning white. The pre CVT Maxima has the Ward reward VQ30 engine. Very quiet and capable V6 and very good 5MT. Not anymore, everyone went to turbo and CVT.
DW is looking for a Porsche Macan. I suggect her a Subaru Outerback. Let' s see.
I have the Nissan Murano w/ the V6 and CVT. I like it a lot. 120k+ miles on it. very reliable. but it is starting to leak a tiny bit of oil from the oil cooler where the oil filter screws in. Bad o-ring. The dealer wanted something like $200 to replace an o-ring. OMG. I hate dealer service centers.

And I wish it was possible to replace all 6 spark plugs myself. But one has to spend about 2 hours taking stuff off to get at the plugs in the back. transverse mounted engine. air intake manifold - take off. etc, etc just to get to the plugs that face the firewall. I replaced spark plug all the time in high school on my folks big station wagon v8's. Ford Country Squire IIRC. That thing was an absolute boat. no handling. I might have gotten it airborn once on Great Falls Street, on the way out to Tukahoe Rec Center, before they widened the road and put in all the curbs and stop lights, back when it was just a rolling 2 land country road. I was not smart in high school. But not as dumb as our new associate SC justice.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

segfault

Post by segfault » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:57 pm

If in an area with harsh winters: You are more likely to get stuck with FWD. You are more likely to crash without snow tires. Pick your poisons.

My daily has all terrain tires and 4wd and I never had to turn the 4wd on last winter (but did turn it on to make sure it was functional).

Snow tires will help you stop and steer in inclement weather. They might somewhat prevent you from getting stuck. AWD will help prevent you from getting stuck, but won’t help you stop or steer.

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:21 pm

To reduce the cost and hassle of mounting snow tires, Bridgestonetire.com recommended purchasing wheels with the same diameter and bolt pattern and switching wheels instead of mounting/unmounting. Quick and relatively inexpensive they say. Anyone doing it?

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:25 am

typical.investor wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:21 pm
To reduce the cost and hassle of mounting snow tires, Bridgestonetire.com recommended purchasing wheels with the same diameter and bolt pattern and switching wheels instead of mounting/unmounting. Quick and relatively inexpensive they say. Anyone doing it?
This is the best way, but diameter is immaterial. My snow tires are on my factory 17" wheels, and I put ultra-high performance summer-only tires on a set of 18" aftermarket rims. My wife's new car came with 21" wheels, which will be getting summer tires when the no-seasons wear out, and I'm looking to get a set of 20s to put snow tires on.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:14 am

I have snows on 19” and 3-seasons on 20” for one car. Not a problem.

After 60+ years driving on regular tires in the winter, well-enough, I won’t go without snow tires in the Northeast again. Nor will my immediate family.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.