My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
smitcat

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by smitcat » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:17 pm

Artful Dodger wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:37 pm
Sorry, but I haven't read all the previous posts.

I did want to ask a question. We've been considering a CRV. I did a google search for this issue and saw a site that indicated this was an issue for the 2015-2018 model years as well as an attorney's ad looking for owners of 2016-2018 models.

We were thinking of buying used. If we go with models from 2014 and earlier, is this still an issue? Is is limited to Honda's 1.5L Earth Dreams engine? Are there models, years, engines that are OK, or some we should definitely avoid?

Honda gets so much love from a lot of BH forum members, so I was concerned to see this thread.

Thanks in advance :)
"We were thinking of buying used. If we go with models from 2014 and earlier, is this still an issue?"
No - we love our 2014 CRV with the non turbo engine - at about 45,000 miles now with zero issues. We have two CRV's now and had a third one we sold before the 2014.

CULater

Post by CULater » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:29 pm

Artful Dodger wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:37 pm
Sorry, but I haven't read all the previous posts.

I did want to ask a question. We've been considering a CRV. I did a google search for this issue and saw a site that indicated this was an issue for the 2015-2018 model years as well as an attorney's ad looking for owners of 2016-2018 models.

We were thinking of buying used. If we go with models from 2014 and earlier, is this still an issue? Is is limited to Honda's 1.5L Earth Dreams engine? Are there models, years, engines that are OK, or some we should definitely avoid?

Honda gets so much love from a lot of BH forum members, so I was concerned to see this thread.

Thanks in advance :)
I'd check CarComplaints.com and also the CRVownersclub.com website for information about problems with a particular model and year CRV you might be interested in. As far as I know, the oil dilution issue is of greatest concern with the 1.5L Turbo engine, which I believe was first used in the 2016 Civic but appeared in the Accord and CRV in 2017. One lawsuit has named all Hondas with any EarthDreams engine:
August 22, 2018 — A Honda "Earth Dreams" engine lawsuit alleges 2015-2018 Honda CR-Vs and 2016-2018 Honda Civics have 1.5-liter, 2-liter and 2.4-liter direct injection engines that are defective.
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018 ... ivic.shtml
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:49 am

What a shame if they have discontinued the excellent V6 Accord in favor of the turkey (I mean turbo).

NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:32 am

Wakefield1 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:49 am
What a shame if they have discontinued the excellent V6 Accord in favor of the turkey (I mean turbo).
The naturally aspirated V6 in mainline vehicles is going the way of the dodo.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:16 am

Consumer Reports now indicates the 2017-18 has a problem with the engine as identified here....now that the secret is out will Honda fix the problem for free...the fun begins...forget about selling your 2017/18 CRV the price just significantly dropped...

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rep ... e-trouble/

Honda CR-V Plagued by Engine Troubles
Automaker says fix is coming to its top-selling SUV, after consumers complain of stalled engines and other problems
Last edited by TLC1957 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:29 am

OMG.....was that article written by a 5th grader? How many sentences can someone start with the word "And"? Referring to the dealer as "it". The content of the article was good but even as an engineer, I can't get by the lack of writing skill demonstrated.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

steadyhand

Post by steadyhand » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:03 am

We were on the market to buy a crossover and the crv was on top of our list. I would like to thank many on this thread, especially CULater, for making us all aware. There were times I felt this thread was just a lot of noise or fuss over nothing, but now I feel it was all justified. I wish those who own one of these get a good resolution from Honda. Example of a good reason to keep coming back to BH forums!

CULater

Post by CULater » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:37 am

TLC1957 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:16 am
Consumer Reports now indicates the 2017-18 has a problem with the engine as identified here....now that the secret is out will Honda fix the problem for free...the fun begins...forget about selling your 2017/18 CRV the price just significantly dropped...

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rep ... e-trouble/

Honda CR-V Plagued by Engine Troubles
Automaker says fix is coming to its top-selling SUV, after consumers complain of stalled engines and other problems
Thank the Almighty! Finally, a national publication has found the cajones to publish something about this curse. It's only taken over a year and a half since the problem began to be widely reported; I didn't think I'd ever see it publicized. The fix was in, but it wasn't the fix for the problem, I thought. I was one of the persons who contacted Consumer Reports months ago. They now have my respect. Now these stonewalling Honda dealers have nowhere to hide. I urge every owner of a 2017-18 CRV to determine if they have the problem (and most will, IMO) and converge on their dealer to demand a remedy. Honda is still "promising" to fix the problem -- I still think they're blowing smoke. If it could have been fixed, it would have been fixed. Just more delay and denial. As TLC has said, the resale value of this junk has just gone down the toilet. Honda will not be happy when the lawyers start lining up to file class action suites...
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

daren12

Post by daren12 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:25 pm

I'm exploring filing a claim (Minnesota lemon law) by contacting the National Center for Dispute Settlement (NCDC). Discussing with a representative yesterday and citing the Oct. 5th Consumer Reports article it sure would appear we have a chance of getting a good portion of our costs/expenses back (seven documented oil changes in last seven months with no fix to root issue). Any one else already been down this path/ journey?

CULater

Post by CULater » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:54 pm

daren12 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:25 pm
I'm exploring filing a claim (Minnesota lemon law) by contacting the National Center for Dispute Settlement (NCDC). Discussing with a representative yesterday and citing the Oct. 5th Consumer Reports article it sure would appear we have a chance of getting a good portion of our costs/expenses back (seven documented oil changes in last seven months with no fix to root issue). Any one else already been down this path/ journey?
Will be interested in what comes of this. My understanding of the Lemon Law is that generally there must be at least three unsuccessful attempts to fix a "problem" in order to file a claim. The rub is the definition of "problem." The Honda dealer told me on the first two occasions I took the vehicle to them that there was no specific problem that they had identified; therefore by definition there were no unsuccessful attempts to fix. They told me that there was no gas in oil the first two times I took it to them, and that an oil change was all I needed. I know now they were lying to me, but at the time I did not have an oil analysis done to prove a fuel dilution problem. Now that CR has documented the issue, excessive fluid level on the dipstick could well be defined as a "problem" and repeated oil changes as unsuccessful attempts to "fix" the problem. I think it might be worth a shot at this point and think I might take a look into this myself.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:25 pm

The article says that the 2019 model year will include the fix. I find that hard to believe. I'm guessing that the design for the 2019 model year was finalized more than 6 months ago — before Honda acknowledged that there was a problem.
Retiree with a pension and a 60/40 taxable portfolio: Total Stock + Total Int'l + Total Bond + Interm Term Tax Exempt.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:40 pm

I haven't read all of the comments so I don't know if this has been posted yet:
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018 ... suit.shtml
Honda Fuel Dilution Problems Cause Class-Action Lawsuit
October 3, 2018 — Honda fuel dilution problems have caused a lawsuit that alleges 2015-2018 Honda Civics, CR-Vs and Honda Accords have 1.5-liter direct injection turbocharged engine defects that cause engine oil to dilute with gasoline.
Best Wishes, | Joe

CULater

Post by CULater » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:27 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:25 pm
The article says that the 2019 model year will include the fix. I find that hard to believe. I'm guessing that the design for the 2019 model year was finalized more than 6 months ago — before Honda acknowledged that there was a problem.
Agree with that. More delay and deny.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Can it be as easy as a software patch? Lets hope so.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2018100 ... ing-glitch

Honda spokesman Chris Martin said a fix for U.S. vehicles is expected to be ready next month. He would not provide technical details on what causes the problem or say how Honda plans to fix it. In China, where the same engine is used but with different tuning, and on versions of the CR-V with different equipment, Honda engineers fixed the problem with a software patch, Martin said.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:22 am

I've been following this thread since it began and have told my wife about it. We've owned 6 new Hondas since 1985. She is due for a new car in the near future. After hearing about the problems Honda is experiencing with these engines, she is having second thoughts about buying another Honda. I have been a good word of mouth advertiser for Honda. I'm now a negative voice about Honda cars. This post is aimed at Honda executives - your cars have become the Yugos of 2018! With any luck, these dopes monitor internet posts about the junk they're selling. Their ads claim that they're selling the highest rated SUVs - proving that the automotive journalists rating cars never drive cars for an extended period of time.

DMW

JPH

Post by JPH » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:51 am

The story of fuel-oil dilution in Honda cars was covered on our local TV news station this morning.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

CULater

Post by CULater » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:12 am

TLC1957 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:38 pm
Can it be as easy as a software patch? Lets hope so.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2018100 ... ing-glitch

Honda spokesman Chris Martin said a fix for U.S. vehicles is expected to be ready next month. He would not provide technical details on what causes the problem or say how Honda plans to fix it. In China, where the same engine is used but with different tuning, and on versions of the CR-V with different equipment, Honda engineers fixed the problem with a software patch, Martin said.
Thanks for the link. In my opinion there are several untruths in the quoted remarks of the Honda spokesperson:

First, I don't believe the problem in China was fixed with a software patch and still exists.

Second, Honda is still lying about the problem being limited to short trip, cold weather driving conditions. I and several others have experienced the problem in warm weather, long trip driving conditions. This has been Honda's misguidance on the problem from the beginning. It also occurs to me that if this is how they've defined the problem, then any remedies they've come up with might be unlikely to address fuel dilution in other driving conditions and won't help people like me or could even make the problem worse for us.
The problem affects CR-Vs with 1.5-liter engines driven on short trips in cold weather. Under those conditions, a number of the engines' crankcases have filled with gasoline.
Third, it is ridiculous to believe it has taken them at least 18 months to "investigate" this problem on North American vehicles. They can't fix the problem and are stalling and covering, IMO.
Martin says Honda didn't simply try to use the same repair on U.S. vehicles as it did in China because the company wanted to investigate the problems on vehicles calibrated for North America.
The good thing is that now the cat is out of the bag. Customers have some leverage with their Honda dealers. If the supposed "fix" doesn't work after three attempts, you'll be able to file a Lemon Law case against Honda. There is usually a time limitation of 24 months on the victim vehicle, so be sure to get yours into the dealer three times before that limit expires. Check the Lemon Law guidelines for your state.

CULater

Post by CULater » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:23 am

Here's the latest information I've found on the oil dilution problem in China, as of Aug 25, 2018. As you can see, the article indicates that a software update was rejected as a solution in China because it was deemed to be an inadequate bandaid remedy. My bet is that this is what's coming for the U.S. and it will be inadequate here as well.
On February 2018, Dongfeng Honda – a Chinese car company half-owned by Honda – ordered a recall of 350,000 vehicles after numerous complaints from owners in the colder regions of northern China.

Honda planned on updating the vehicle’s gasoline injection control software to adjust the timing and speed of the injection. They also planned on extending the engine’s warranty to 6 years.

But the emphasis is on plan, because the recall was rejected by Chinese regulators, who want a better plan for fixing the problem.

Until a new recall is agreed upon, Honda has issued a stop-sale on all new CR-Vs in China.
http://www.hondaproblems.com/trends/crv ... amination/

But I've also found this, dated May 17, which indicates that Chinese regulators did approve a fix consisting of both replaced parts and a software update. The replaced parts were likely the fuel injectors, I'd surmise. Software update alone won't cut it.
Honda was forced to suspend CR-V sales after Chinese authorities rejected its initial recall plan in February.

China's quality-control watchdog, which announced the decision Wednesday, likely gave the green light after Honda managed to prove that the replaced parts and upgraded engine control unit software could withstand various temperature conditions. The Japanese automaker is also likely to recall other cars equipped with the same engine as the CR-V.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Compan ... gship-CR-V

davidkw

Post by davidkw » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:16 am

Gosh! Thanks for this thread. I almost traded into my car for the Honda CRV five months ago. When I do get a new car, it will be a Toyota RAV4.
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

CULater

Post by CULater » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:12 pm

CarandDriver has picked up the story.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/honda ... -2017-2018

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:47 am

And a new article from Autoweek about the problem and interim 'fixes.'

https://autoweek.com/article/car-news/s ... dailydrive

We considered a CRV but just bought a 2019 CX-9 with a 2.5 turbo 4-cyl. Love the low-end torque. Hopefully it will be reliable.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

teacher

Post by teacher » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:54 am

DH was planning to buy a 2019 Civic next year.
Would you?
In light of Honda's promised fixes, is it advisable to buy a new one already on the car lots?

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:37 pm

I wouldn't buy one until I know they have a solution that is proven to work. That will take awhile. I'm sure others feel differently.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:57 pm

I've been a big fan of Honda for many years. My every-day car is still our 2004 Pilot. I was fully supportive of our adult daughter when she wanted to buy the 2017 CRV last November.

In my mind Honda's dishonesty here has wrecked their reputation, at least with me. I really doubt I will buy another Honda in a long time, and I certainly won't recommend them to anyone I know. Sad.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:38 pm

Horsefly wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:57 pm
I've been a big fan of Honda for many years. My every-day car is still our 2004 Pilot. I was fully supportive of our adult daughter when she wanted to buy the 2017 CRV last November.

In my mind Honda's dishonesty here has wrecked their reputation, at least with me. I really doubt I will buy another Honda in a long time, and I certainly won't recommend them to anyone I know. Sad.
My adult daughter bought a 2018 CRV last March, shortly before this thread started. Now I'm planning to buy a compact SUV for myself, and it's frustrating to read about the problems. Not only does the CRV have problems with gas getting into the oil, but the Subaru Forester has problems with an engine that burns oil and a CVT transmission that fails before 100,000 miles. I see that the 2019 Forester has a new engine and transmission, but I don't know if those changes fix the problem. RAV4, CX5, and Ford Escape are all looking better.
Last edited by UpperNwGuy on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retiree with a pension and a 60/40 taxable portfolio: Total Stock + Total Int'l + Total Bond + Interm Term Tax Exempt.

CULater

Post by CULater » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:46 pm

I wonder if you're better off leasing? If you end up with a problem like this, do you have any liability as the lessee or can you just unload the thing back on the dealer when the lease is up? If I were leasing the CRV and Honda says that oil dilution isn't an issue then I should be OK driving it and only getting the regular oil changes, right? If the oil pan is filling up with gas, it's their problem to fix. Plus, I'm concerned with the impact on resale value if this happens. With a lease, you're locked into the residual at the time of the lease so if resale gets whacked you're immune? I might just lease the next vehicle instead of buying. If it turns out to not be a piece of junk, then maybe I can buy it at the end of the lease.

bradshaw1965

Post by bradshaw1965 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:54 pm

Horsefly wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Toyota had the same round-trip response problem with their oil sludge issues in 2007. They are still the most reliable car brand and don't seem the worse for reputational wear. It's just the way car manufacturers work. All that to say, Honda seems to have slipped in reliability and if that's your top-line concern then Toyota is probably your best bet.

teacher

Post by teacher » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:18 pm

Toyota has had a history of multiple recalls due to various braking problems since 2009, and in 2014, an "unintended acceleration" problem.
That would concern me even more than the oil-gas dilution issue.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:51 pm

teacher wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:18 pm
Toyota has had a history of multiple recalls due to various braking problems since 2009, and in 2014, an "unintended acceleration" problem.
While those issues may well exist elsewhere in the Toyota fleet, the RAV4, the direct competitor to the CRV, seems to be free of such issues.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:56 pm

teacher wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:18 pm
From The Atlantic:
a recently released NASA study, commissioned by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), found no problem with Toyota's electronic throttle control system, which appears to leave "pedal misapplication" as the most identifiable source of unintended acceleration,

Basically, this was probably just human error.
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/ar ... ls/238076/

CULater

Post by CULater » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:21 am

Now Autoweek has joined the parade. Hey Honda! When do you plan to stop stalling? I'm tempted to start putting flyers on the windshield of every CRV I see parked around.

What's going on with turbo Honda CR-V engines?

https://autoweek.com/article/car-news/s ... z5TXPDWUvk

JPH

Post by JPH » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:26 am

Honda called me yesterday and said they will have a software fix available my mid-November. It supposedly addresses cold weather and short trip problems. I disputed that theory as I live in South Texas and have watched the oil level increase all summer. The reply was that Honda engineers have determined that is the cause of the problem.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

CULater

Post by CULater » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:38 am

JPH wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:26 am
Honda called me yesterday and said they will have a software fix available my mid-November. It supposedly addresses cold weather and short trip problems. I disputed that theory as I live in South Texas and have watched the oil level increase all summer. The reply was that Honda engineers have determined that is the cause of the problem.
First, Honda called you!? What brought this about? I sent an email to Honda Customer Service re: my case number when the CR article came out asking for information about the fix and have received nothing at all from them (which doesn't surprise me after the way I've been treated).

Second, I read what you've indicated. The fix is to address cold weather/short trip conditions and they are releasing it in November to beat the cold weather in most of the U.S. I'm in the same spot as you -- I have the problem in warm weather / long trip driving conditions and am skeptical the fix will do anything for my vehicle except maybe screw it up even more.

JPH

Post by JPH » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:47 am

CULater wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:38 am
JPH wrote:
First, Honda called you!? What brought this about? I sent an email to Honda Customer Service re: my case number when the CR article came out asking for information about the fix and have received nothing at all from them (which doesn't surprise me after the way I've been treated).

Second, I read what you've indicated. The fix is to address cold weather/short trip conditions and they are releasing it in November to beat the cold weather in most of the U.S. I'm in the same spot as you -- I have the problem in warm weather / long trip driving conditions and am skeptical the fix will do anything for my vehicle except maybe screw it up even more.
Yup, they called. Apparently they have been calling and leaving voicemails for some time. The number showed as Toll Free on my Caller ID, so I was not answering. Now I have case manager and a direct phone number to her. Somebody in Torrence, California.

CULater

Post by CULater » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:57 am

JPH wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:47 am
CULater wrote:
JPH wrote:

Yup, they called. Apparently they have been calling and leaving voicemails for some time. The number showed as Toll Free on my Caller ID, so I was not answering. Now I have case manager and a direct phone number to her. Somebody in Torrence, California.
Still trying to figure out why they are calling you, and I've heard nothing. Did it go through your dealer? I reported my problem to the dealer and also opened a case number with Honda Customer Service.

JPH

Post by JPH » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:02 pm

CULater wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:57 am
JPH wrote:
CULater wrote:
JPH wrote:

Still trying to figure out why they are calling you, and I've heard nothing. Did it go through your dealer? I reported my problem to the dealer and also opened a case number with Honda Customer Service.
It wasn't through the dealer. They were responding to the email complaint I filed with Honda. Why? It seemed just to give mt information and reassurance.

CULater

Post by CULater » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:56 pm

JPH wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:02 pm
CULater wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:57 am
JPH wrote:
CULater wrote:
JPH wrote:

It wasn't through the dealer. They were responding to the email complaint I filed with Honda. Why? It seemed just to give mt information and reassurance.
I'm off to see my dealer to see if they've heard anything and when I can expect to be notified about a fix. I have mixed feelings about getting it though, because I'm afraid the fix is for a problem I don't have and not for the one I do have. Maybe I ought to wait for you to get it and see if it helps or messes up your CRV even more. :P

CULater

Post by CULater » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:43 pm

Well, back from the dealer and that was pretty much a waste of time. They know nothing, have heard nothing, don't really seem to care. If Honda is providing a fix, the dealers haven't been told in order to inform customers. I've been to three different Honda dealers in three different states and I can testify that you're not going to get any help from a dealer on this issue. Dealer didn't even want to take my name in order to notify me when they learn of a fix. Told me to just call them to check on it. In other words, get outta here and stop bothering us. Pathetic handling of this issue by Honda and it's dealer network.

CULater

Post by CULater » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:33 pm

CNN has picked up the story now also. And yet, Honda dealers know nothing. Amazing.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/05/cars/con ... index.html

daren12

Post by daren12 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:08 pm

Wow - After dealing with American Honda oil dilution issue since early March 2018--engine stalled out twice in one day, it is refreshing to see this story break loose including now CNN. Thank you Consumer reports--Oct 5th article! Also thank you BH for your late breaking news) :happy

Grateful to my Honda dealership for disclosing issue –day one --and telling me was a true problem and to work with American Honda (the company) towards a resolution. This includes Service Tech, Dealer Service Representative and Sales.

I do also recognize many dealerships were and are being dishonest about problem as I have called many over the last seven months. The different versions would make you laugh or perhaps cry.

My experience -- so far -- contacting Honda customer service - 800-999-1009 (Case Manager for dealerships in area) has been a huge exercise in frustration--case was closed last spring with verbiage "this is American Honda's Position" and received answer to question “How many other Earth Dreams Turbo 1.5 L Customers experiencing impacted by symptoms of Oil Dilution” with “this is proprietary”.

The question I have for Honda's leadership (assume providing guidance to customer service) is why am I finding out about Honda acknowledgment of problem/ solution by way CNN,Consumer Reports, local news affiliates and ..yes.. the excellent blog Bogleheads forum BH.

Why isn't Honda's customer service calling all customers impacted(call or email). They certainly s/b tracking customers reporting the “oil dilution” issue by way of the open and closed cases (including first reported, VIN#, contact info).

Opening a Honda case involves a lot of time (both from customer and Honda perspective).

As a Honda customer I believe we deserve better!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:31 pm

CULater wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:43 pm
Well, back from the dealer and that was pretty much a waste of time. They know nothing, have heard nothing, don't really seem to care. If Honda is providing a fix, the dealers haven't been told in order to inform customers. I've been to three different Honda dealers in three different states and I can testify that you're not going to get any help from a dealer on this issue. Dealer didn't even want to take my name in order to notify me when they learn of a fix. Told me to just call them to check on it. In other words, get outta here and stop bothering us. Pathetic handling of this issue by Honda and it's dealer network.
Perhaps, but I'd cut them a little slack. I have a good relationship with my local Honda dealership. They're a full service collision shop and have been doing that for quite some time. They've repaired body damage on my vehicle more than once.

My point is that I've observed them interact with customers while I was waiting for my car to get serviced. Everyone is treated with respect and they will spend time with you to explain what's going on.

From their perspective, you are asking them to handle something that they have no corporate guidance on. There's nothing in their system that can track the problem. So, they don't know how to enter your complaint nor contact you.

Once Honda corporate rolls out a fix, it will be communicated to the dealers, training will be provided, and the customers will be notified. Now that CNN has picked up the story, I'd just wait for the dust to settle.

BTW, my 2012 CR-V needed a new battery. Due to this issue, I held off replacing the car and replaced the battery instead. :)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

tapotti

Post by tapotti » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:33 pm

Glad to see these various news outlets posting this story.

Hope that Honda's fix is real and actually solves this issue.

CULater

Post by CULater » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:42 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:31 pm
CULater wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:43 pm
Perhaps, but I'd cut them a little slack. I have a good relationship with my local Honda dealership. They're a full service collision shop and have been doing that for quite some time. They've repaired body damage on my vehicle more than once.

My point is that I've observed them interact with customers while I was waiting for my car to get serviced. Everyone is treated with respect and they will spend time with you to explain what's going on.

From their perspective, you are asking them to handle something that they have no corporate guidance on. There's nothing in their system that can track the problem. So, they don't know how to enter your complaint nor contact you.

Once Honda corporate rolls out a fix, it will be communicated to the dealers, training will be provided, and the customers will be notified. Now that CNN has picked up the story, I'd just wait for the dust to settle.

BTW, my 2012 CR-V needed a new battery. Due to this issue, I held off replacing the car and replaced the battery instead. :)
At a minimum, this dealer service dept could have shown a vague interest in my problem and today they could have contacted Honda Tech Support or other corporate office they deal with to ask for info regarding the proposed fix. They did nothing at all but brush me off. This is the dealer where I purchased the vehicle and they can be sure I won't be doing that again. Lousy, terrible customer service. I hear about good dealer experience out there, but I haven't personally encountered it.

ndlex

Post by ndlex » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:19 am

I've been keeping an eye on this issue for several months. It has stopped me from buying a 2018 Honda CRV. I'm keeping my current vehicle for now, and am currently leaning towards the new Toyota RAV4 when it comes out. I'm not sure I'll buy one of those immediately though as I've dealt with several first model year issues with my current 2014 Toyota Highlander.

It's a shame as the CRV looks great in every way except this oil gas-dilution issue and the lack of heat. Both of those issues only impact a portion of the overall population, but it seems to be pretty widespread. Honda's behavior on handling this hasn't been good.

gogleheads.orb

Post by gogleheads.orb » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:30 am

I was in the market for a new car in August and September. This thread popped up in August but I ignored it. In September, just as we were deciding on the CRV trim level that we were going to get the thread popped up again. After reading about the Chinese recall we decided to go with the RAV4. Being in a cold climate with the probable use of the car involving lots of random short trips I figured that this was a risk we shouldn't take.

I told a friend with a 2017 CRV about it and he checked his oil. Sure enough, his oil reading was high. He took it to the dealer and the technician brought a manager over to tell him that this was the first that they had heard of it.

I feel like we've dodged a bullet ( of unknown size and strength). Thanks for all those who contributed to this thread and brought this issue to my attention.

CULater

Post by CULater » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:47 am

I wouldn't trust that Honda will fix the 2019 either. From the CR article, it sounds like it has exactly the same 1.5T engine as the 2017 and 2018 and Honda claims it will apply the "fix" prior to them hitting the market in December. I would wait and see on that one. Complaints can be monitored on Carcomplaints.com and on other websites. I'll be surprised if the complaints don't start showing up for the 2019. The fact that they are apparently just now going to apply the fix to the 2019 is incredibly telling. The engines for those have been long been coming off the production line, apparently unchanged and unfixed and being put into the 2019 vehicles on the assembly line. Now Honda is trying to cover their rears because of the CR article and bad publicity by trying to patch these things at the 11th hour. I don't trust them, and I know from personal experience they aren't going to take care of you if you end up with one of these lemon vehicles. Sad story with Honda is that they've gone from one of the best auto manufacturers to one of the worst. Sad.

wasp09

Post by wasp09 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:33 pm

I guess it is difficult to fix the issue without changing the injection hardware-wise, like adding port injectors.

In June, owners in China still protested about gas in oil after the implementation of the May recall. That was not even cold yet, evaporation should not be a problem. Gas getting through the rings is simply faster than evaporating out of the oil pan.

BTW, someone mentioned about the oil pan of the 1.5T engine is too small for DI. Perhaps with an external motor oil tank/oil pan extension, say to keep 12 quarts, of oil in circulation would help. For the same amount of gas leaked through, the dilution percentage could be reduced 3 folds to hide the problem. Honda then can blame the owners on not changing the oil frequent enough. :?

CULater

Post by CULater » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:37 pm

wasp09 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:33 pm
I guess it is difficult to fix the issue without changing the injection hardware-wise, like adding port injectors.

In June, owners in China still protested about gas in oil after the implementation of the May recall. That was not even cold yet, evaporation should not be a problem. Gas getting through the rings is simply faster than evaporating out of the oil pan.

BTW, someone mentioned about the oil pan of the 1.5T engine is too small for DI. Perhaps with an external motor oil tank/oil pan extension, say to keep 12 quarts, of oil in circulation would help. For the same amount of gas leaked through, the dilution percentage could be reduced 3 folds to hide the problem. Honda then can blame the owners on not changing the oil frequent enough. :?
Where did you hear about China owners still unsatisfied with the fix in China? That's exactly what I'm afraid of with the so-called fix proposed here. Have to admit I am hugely skeptical about a "software update" being sufficient to correct this issue.

wasp09

Post by wasp09 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:40 pm

It was posted inside this Chinese article:

http://www.sohu.com/a/235990048_452983

It said recall was done May 28. Owner found oil still increased and gas smell was still there after driving 500km. The complaint was made on June 7. Location was Canton, tropical climate.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:20 pm

ndlex wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:19 am
I've been keeping an eye on this issue for several months. It has stopped me from buying a 2018 Honda CRV. I'm keeping my current vehicle for now, and am currently leaning towards the new Toyota RAV4 when it comes out. I'm not sure I'll buy one of those immediately though as I've dealt with several first model year issues with my current 2014 Toyota Highlander.

It's a shame as the CRV looks great in every way except this oil gas-dilution issue and the lack of heat. Both of those issues only impact a portion of the overall population, but it seems to be pretty widespread. Honda's behavior on handling this hasn't been good.
Lack of heat? What is this issue? Did I miss something in this 11 page thread?