Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
PaulAtreides

Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by PaulAtreides » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:02 pm

Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has done a hair transplant or knew someone who did and the experience/results that were observed.

I am 33 and severely balding, been considering a transplant for a while. I am always thankful for my health and family, and I realize there are more important things than hair. It does bring me down sometimes, and everyone around me notices how bald I have become. I am in an upper management role at my company and the lack of hair does lower my confidence levels.

I have the financial means to do the procedure, which typically costs $15-20K.

I don't know how well they work and expectations I should have.

Perhaps someone with experience in this realm can provide guidance.

Thank you!

yukonjack

Re: Anyone done a Hair Transplant?

Post by yukonjack » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:46 pm

Google Joe Buck hair transplant. It didn’t go well for him and he obviously has the means and motivation to do it. A couple years ago I heard an interview with Joe shortly after he released his autobiography. He goes into great detail about how the whole process went off the rails and he finally gave up.
My BIL had it done 10 or so years ago and it didn’t go well for him either. Now days it seems like a shaved head is in even with millennials.

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:57 pm

Balding at such a young age is a sign of high levels of testosterone. I’m betting you also have high levels of arm and chest hair. Do not shy away from this, it is a sign of high virility! Please do not get plugs, no need to go through that. I’ve known several men who went bald early, never thought anything of it.

Madbull

Post by Madbull » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:10 pm

Had a boss who did it about ~8 years ago, was a constant project as he kept attempting improvements for awhile. It looked horrible, (and he went to a reputable place, with a pricey history). It just wasn’t meant to be. In the end, (and after a couple years of ribbing), he just shaved it all.

Personally, I’m 39 with a thinning on the rear/crown section of my head. I blame wearing a bbcap most of my life, lol. I figure I’ve got a few more years before I’ll have to either shave, or do a complete buzz. I’ll likely buzz, since I’m sure I have an ugly skull. Plus, I already keep it short and have for years, (kind of a modified high & tight, 1 guard on sides, short scissor trim on top).

Don’t let society tell you what you should do. Do what you think will work for you. This isn’t the 70s, the only bald guys that get ribbed nowadays are those that do the obvious combover. (No offense to anyone that still does that). :)

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:13 pm

It worked for Jason Witten, Deion Sanders, and Brian Urlacher.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:14 pm

Buzz your whole head with a #1. I think that's the best look for early balding.

Vernn

Post by Vernn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:18 pm

I have a friend that did it last week and videoed most of the procedure. Too soon to know how it works out but I'm all for what makes you feel good about yourself. They were quite pleased with past results form the chosen clinic.

ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:28 pm

I think you should research the heck out of it. I would love to have hair again. I suppose it matters depending on what industry you are in but I bet you would be better off long term putting it towards a budget MBA degree -- https://www.gradschoolhub.com/best/affo ... nline-mba/ or get a personal physical trainer and get all muscled up.

gusan

Post by gusan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:01 pm

Yup, got it done from a "developing economy" and very happy with the results for 1/4th of what it would cost here.

Momus

Post by Momus » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:33 pm

PaulAtreides wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:02 pm
gusan wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:01 pm
Yup, got it done from a "developing economy" and very happy with the results for 1/4th of what it would cost here.
+1
Go to Turkey for a week long "vacation", probably cost you like $3k. Enjoy your "vacation" 8-)

Look at some Youtube videos, they have amazing results.

Trism

Post by Trism » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:01 am

I am considering a procedure, even though I'm not nearly bald.

I'm in my 40s. My forehead has been growing in acreage since my early 30s. I'm ready to show it who's boss.

We recently paid off our vacation home, we're about one year away from paying off our primary residence, and we're way ahead of the ambitious savings/retirement goals we set when we got married.

So my spouse is supportive. "Whatever you want, Baby..."

A friend of a friend had Neograft done about 10 years ago and it still looks great.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:27 am

PaulAtreides wrote:
Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has done a hair transplant or knew someone who did and the experience/results that were observed.

I am 33 and severely balding, been considering a transplant for a while. I am always thankful for my health and family, and I realize there are more important things than hair. It does bring me down sometimes, and everyone around me notices how bald I have become. I am in an upper management role at my company and the lack of hair does lower my confidence levels.

I don't know how well they work and expectations I should have.

Perhaps someone with experience in this realm can provide guidance.

Thank you!
I'd give more thought to how a hair procedure will increase your confidence. I've been bald quite some time but for me confidence is based on my own self acceptance (body and mind).
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:45 am

After an initial attempt(s?) that were obviously wrong, Joe Biden seems to have gotten good results. In the meantime, instead of a combover, which never looks right, I have seen several guys with Brutus cuts that seem to work well.

Chip

Post by Chip » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:52 am

Over time the hair on my scalp is naturally transplanting itself to my ears, nose and eyebrows. :P

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:52 am

Set of Wahl clippers - $20. Five minutes a week. Never buy shampoo again.

fire5soon

Post by fire5soon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:35 am

I considered it but, after doing a lot of research, the cons really outweighed the pros. I ultimately either just shave or buzz my head depending on how I feel at the time. It's not just the procedure itself. it's also all the medication you need to take afterwards as well as the other meds you need to take to offset the side effects of the meds you take for your hair. In the end it wasn't worth it for me. YMMV.

Now that I shave/buzz I don't think it's that bad and kind of like it to an extent. My wife asked if I like it now that I look like a bad*ss. That isn't what I was going for and it hadn't even crossed my mind... but I'll admit I did like the comment 8-)

Good luck with whatever you decide.
A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do. - Bob Dylan

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:39 am

I can spot a transplant almost as far away as a comb over. You wouldn't be fooling anyone. Just shave your head close or completely and leave people guessing.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:52 am

There are alternatives you may want to look into.

I've had a few people tell me they've had success with Platelette Rich Plasma Therapy. Basically they take a small amount of your blood, run it through a centrifuge to increase the concentration of platelets, and then reinject it to your scalp to spur natural hair growth. Its a lot less expensive than transplant as well.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:59 am

Who cares, stop comparing yourself to others. Divert that energy and money into eating healthy / staying fit.

jadd806

Post by jadd806 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:11 am

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:39 am
I can spot a transplant almost as far away as a comb over. You wouldn't be fooling anyone. Just shave your head close or completely and leave people guessing.
You might be able to, but most people are not Norwood spotters and cannot tell the difference between a good transplant and a natural hairline. By contrast probably 99% of guys who shave their head do it because they're balding - there is nothing to leave anybody guessing about.

Trism

Post by Trism » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:22 am

Cycle wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:59 am
Who cares, stop comparing yourself to others. Divert that energy and money into eating healthy / staying fit.
In my experience you cannot purchase fitness or health. But you can purchase hair.

Trism

Post by Trism » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:25 am

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:39 am
This should go without saying, but you wouldn't be aware of the ones you did not spot.

ArchibaldGraham

Post by ArchibaldGraham » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:32 am

tev9876 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:52 am
+1

Also never buy a haircut again

stan1

Post by stan1 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:32 am

PaulAtreides wrote:
I have always had very thin hair and receding hairline started in my early 20s. When I was in my mid-20s I started using a #1 razor all over the head with a fade on the side and back. It's also a popular look right now and you'll find that many men who have less hair do this. Combovers and horseshoes just accentuate the hair loss.

Are friends or family members teasing you about not having hair? If so I'd politely ask them to stop.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:43 am

ArchibaldGraham wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:32 am
tev9876 wrote:
+1

+2

Used my $20 Wahl this morning. 4 minute haircut. #2 all over. #1 on sideburns. L/R tapered around each ear. Boom. $20+ saved. Every time.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:43 am

Two notable public officials have done things like this - Joe Biden and Donald Trump.

Even at my advanced age, I have a lot of hair.

If you have a round, smooth head - some find the totally bald look appealing.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:55 am

Have you tried propecia? Rogaine? I've taken propecia/proscar for more than 20 years and haven't lost any hair in 20+ years.

InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:06 am

Don't do it. I almost had one done at the age of 26 (even paid the deposit but chickened out). Fast forward 10 years, and I'm now completely bald. If I went ahead with the procedure, I would have a giant visible strip scar on the back of my head today.

My older brother had two hair transplants done in his late 20s and even though he looked good for about 5 years afterwards, the hair is now thinning again. He has to use artificial spray-on hair every morning and it doesn't look natural, especially in the crown area. He avoids public pools and it is rather sad to see.

I shave my head and no longer care. Being bald becomes more acceptable with age.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:08 am

Grow old gracefully. Body modifications are nearly always obvious and emphasize insecurity. Better to be mindfully healthy and maximize one's limited time on earth.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:09 am

InvestorNewb wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:06 am
Don't do it. I almost had one done at the age of 26 (even paid the deposit but chickened out). Fast forward 10 years, and I'm now completely bald. If I went ahead with the procedure, I would have a giant visible strip scar on the back of my head today.

My older brother had two hair transplants done in his late 20s and even though he looked good for about 5 years afterwards, the hair is now thinning again. He has to use artificial spray-on hair every morning and it doesn't look natural, especially in the crown area. He avoids public pools and it is rather sad to see.

I shave my head and no longer care. Being bald becomes more acceptable with age.
That is a good point. If you say, fill in the missing areas now and then go on to lose a lot of hair in the future that cannot be filled in, your head will look like a quilt.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:12 am

I had someone tell me once “you look a little thin on top” I replied “you look a little thick in the middle”. He never mentioned it again. Feel free to use that :D
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:12 am

TxAg wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:14 pm
This is what I do.

OP, if your balding affects your confidence so much theat your profesional growth is in jeopardy, I would confront that issue directly with a therapist or other trusted helper.

Andy.

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:30 am

Sorry for some of the people who just say shave the hair all off. Some people look absolutely horrible with a shaved head (depends on head structure among other things) or just look a ton better with a full head of hair (or the like).

For me, my brother is basically bald and I'm luckily with most of my hair left (it is not as thick as I remember). A lot of it (but probably not the majority of it) has to do with diet. There was a study done in rural China (forgive me if I can only remember the very basics) where they took two groups of 100 men and fed one group a basic Chinese rural diet and one group a more western diet and 10 years later, the latter group showed more significant signs of balding. Not saying that it will work for everyone, but I think eating some foods will cause you to bald earlier.

Here is a list of the top 10 countries of bald men:

http://www.hairlossdaily.com/the-11-bal ... the-world/

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:32 am

Trism wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:22 am
Cycle wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:59 am
In my experience you cannot purchase fitness or health. But you can purchase hair.
paleo diet with high quality ingredients will cost much more than the standard american diet (SAD), even if shopping at aldi. gym memberships, bikes, jogging shoes, xc ski pass all cost money... excellent investments in your fitness.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:38 am

ArchibaldGraham wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:32 am
tev9876 wrote:
+1

But what about the mess? Do you buzz out in the yard?
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:51 am

No experience, but 2 points:

1. Great avatar and user name.
2. IF it makes you happy do it. Only advice is don't go by there references. They (like anyone else) will only give you the success stories. Look through yelp and all online reviews. on line medical reviews are great for only 1 thing and that is to see the extremes (those really happy and those who are really upset). Either way will be useful.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:06 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:12 am
I had someone tell me once “you look a little thin on top” I replied “you look a little thick in the middle”. He never mentioned it again. Feel free to use that :D
Haha I like that

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:15 pm

Since I'm also interested in the OP's subject, I have to assume that he's as frustrated as I to see three dozen posts so far, most of which (although offered in a cheerful and supportive spirit) are completely irrelevant to what he requested: feedback from men who actually did a hair transplant. I hope such respondents may yet appear in this thread.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:28 pm

TxAg wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:06 pm
pennstater2005 wrote:
Haha I like that
Just make sure to say it with a smile.....works better that way!
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:49 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:
lol

cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:50 pm

TxAg wrote:
this is what I do, I am 39. When my hair loss gets worse I will probably end up just completely shaving it with a razor.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:09 pm

beardsworth wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:15 pm
Since I'm also interested in the OP's subject, I have to assume that he's as frustrated as I to see three dozen posts so far, most of which (although offered in a cheerful and supportive spirit) are completely irrelevant to what he requested: feedback from men who actually did a hair transplant. I hope such respondents may yet appear in this thread.
What percentage of males in the US get hair transplants? What percentage of males in the US visit Bogleheads? Now, intersect the 2 groups.

I would guess that Bogleheads with hair transplants will reply if/when they read this thread.

Always good to hear different perspectives. Many threads would be very short or have no replies. Which may be just fine.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:55 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:09 pm
beardsworth wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:15 pm
What percentage of males in the US get hair transplants? What percentage of males in the US visit Bogleheads? Now, intersect the 2 groups.

I would guess that Bogleheads with hair transplants will reply if/when they read this thread.

Always good to hear different perspectives. Many threads would be very short or have no replies. Which may be just fine.
Better a short thread with on-target responses to the original post asking I'd like to hear from guys who've had hair transplants than a long thread full of responses like My self-confidence doesn't depend on my hair, or You need to work on appreciating your body image, or Just shave your head and get used to it.

sjl333

Post by sjl333 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:17 pm

PM me.

6,000 grafts done in Beverly Hills from a reputable hair transplant doctor. Very expensive. Spent $40k+.

Results are good. Very satisfied. I can send you before/after pics.

People that see me now always compliment my hair and tell me it has gotten much better.

HeftyLefty

Post by HeftyLefty » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:41 pm

Deleted
Last edited by HeftyLefty on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:54 pm

Why is anyone surprised by good natured but off topic responses? That is Bogleheads.

TheRightKost87

Post by TheRightKost87 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:16 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:54 pm
Why is anyone surprised by good natured but off topic responses? That is Bogleheads.
I was surprised we didn't get the obligatory "Not enough information" posts.
"The problem with diversification is that it works, whether or not we want it to"

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:23 pm

TheRightKost87 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:16 pm
pennstater2005 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:54 pm
I was surprised we didn't get the obligatory "Not enough information" posts.
It’s not too late :D

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:24 pm

How about the obligatory "Please stay on-topic"? :wink:
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

KJVanguard

Post by KJVanguard » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:43 pm

TxAg wrote:
100% agree. That's what I did after minoxidil & finasteride failed to help any. Now at 45 I trim it with no guard in place (so stubble, rather than 3mm).

Your natural hair line will keep receding as time goes by, meaning future transplants (and that assumes you have enough doner hair in back -- can't be a Dr. Phil chrome dome).

Jason Statham is one star stud who shows working out can make up for a lack of hair. If any hair loss treatment really worked there would be no Hollywood stars who are bald.