JupiterJones wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:32 am
I'm planning a road trip and considering making Dayton one of the stops. Mainly to check out all the aviation-related stuff in the area (Wright Bros., etc.). Some questions:
- I've heard that parts of Dayton can be sketchy/unsafe. Is this true? Which parts?
- We usually like to stay downtown when visiting a city, to get a sense of the place, rather than in some generic hotel out in the suburbs that could be anywhere. Would that make sense in Dayton? There doesn't seem to be too many hotels downtown, which could be a sign...
- Any specific recommendations for sights/museums? Any not worth going to?
- Is this even a good idea in the first place? Should we just skip Dayton and stop in, say, Columbus instead?
Hey so I live in Dayton metro (burbs).
1. It's not unsafe unless you head out to west dayton (don't). Would you feel unsafe in Chicago? Only in certain parts...
2. Oregon District is where the action is. If you can find something around there it would be your best bet.
3. Air Force Museum as everyone mentioned (just added a 4th hangar a few years ago. It has all the historical Air Force One's.) Carillon Park is fun (has one of the very early Wright Flyers.) Carillon also has some of the history of the area, NCR and a bunch of other things. The new library downtown is very nice.
4. Food in Oregon District: Corner Kitchen (personal favorite), Salar, Roost, Wheat Penny, Coco's... There are so many great choices.
5. Lots of hiking around the area and a fantastic "rails to trails" system for running and biking. You can go from Cincinnati to Columbus on the trails.
6. Dayton has a very rich history but it's had a rough couple of decades. The metro is doing relatively well and like most of the country has been lifted by great economics. Dayton and Cinci will merge at some point with many people currently living in either or and commuting back and forth.
Having said all that Columbus is a great city too! I just lacks the heritage that made Dayton so special. We really enjoy living here and it's a great place to raise a family. Shoot me a PM if you need more info!