Very few junk phone calls in Spain?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Very few junk phone calls in Spain?

Post by nisiprius » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:20 pm

In a video call with my Spanish teacher in Spain, I was interrupted by a junk phone call. We average about two a day.

She said that she gets a couple of phone calls a month, and they are not like ours. They are the old-fashioned kind: always, she says, from phone companies, trying to get her to switch her service. But real phone companies.

Is this true in general? Is Spain... is Europe... more or less free from the scourge of serious scam calls (phony caller ID, companies claiming to be Microsoft, etc.)? Is it just the US that is subject to it? If so, how come?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

GoldStar

Re: Very few junk phone calls in Spain?

Post by GoldStar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:23 pm

Probably because we have more crooks in the US; and the crooks in Russia, India, Ukraine, etc. only take the time to learn English (not Spanish).
Perhaps also because there is a higher-hit rate on Americans who have money to spend and fall for the scams. There is no sense scamming random folks if a higher-percentage won't have enough money for the taking.
(BUT clearly I am just speculating - perhaps someone with facts will come along :) )

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:50 pm

Just counted the number of junk calls I got in September: 9. My speculation is frequency of junk calls is a function of how you use your phone and how much you use your phone. If you don't use your phone often, there is no spam. My company issued cell phone number that I never use gets 1 or 2 junk calls a month.

By how you use your phone, I mean by how often you give your phone to businesses. Also by whether you pick up junk calls or worse, call them back to tell them to take you off their list. By picking up or talking to a spammer, you've just alerted them, they have a live number. This pretty much guarantees your number will be added to the list to be sold to the next spammer.

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:00 pm

mmmodem wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:50 pm
Just counted the number of junk calls I got in September: 9. My speculation is frequency of junk calls is a function of how you use your phone and how much you use your phone. If you don't use your phone often, there is no spam. My company issued cell phone number that I never use gets 1 or 2 junk calls a month.

By how you use your phone, I mean by how often you give your phone to businesses. Also by whether you pick up junk calls or worse, call them back to tell them to take you off their list. By picking up or talking to a spammer, you've just alerted them, they have a live number. This pretty much guarantees your number will be added to the list to be sold to the next spammer.
Yes, but the vast majority of people just have 1 phone number and believe it or not, we actually need to give it out to the businesses that we do business with and need to actually be able to be reached on it. Sure I could get a new phone number and not give it to anyone, but then why even have a phone if I can't give out the number?

The whole thing has gotten way out of CTRL. I only average about 2-4 a day and I say "only" because I know most people that I know get even more than that.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:04 pm

Most I get are presumably VoIP originated spam with fake caller ids. The faked caller ids make it hard to filter them out. Perhaps different countries have different phone regulation regimes which make it easier or harder for voice-over-ip originated spam to get into the telephone network on which your cellular device operates? I agree it is very irritating to get so much spam on my cell phone, I don't answer calls from IDs I don't know, if they leave a voicemail I check it out.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:10 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:23 pm
Probably because we have more crooks in the US; and the crooks in Russia, India, Ukraine, etc. only take the time to learn English (not Spanish).
Perhaps also because there is a higher-hit rate on Americans who have money to spend and fall for the scams. There is no sense scamming random folks if a higher-percentage won't have enough money for the taking.
(BUT clearly I am just speculating - perhaps someone with facts will come along :) )
That depends on the definition of junk call and crook, I guess! I get phone calls from alma mater once in a while, from various politicals and similar organizations for donations. Used to get a call from some non-local-area code number for some police charity organization. I stopped picking up the phone for unrecognized long distance numbers. Then I got a phone call from a local area code - guess what? It was the same police charity organization. Definitely an American on the other side, not a Russian, Indian or Ukranian! :oops:

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:11 pm

As I recall in many countries, at least for cell phones, the person making the call pays for the call. This makes making millions of junk calls uneconomical.

I don't recall where I heard it but there was once a proposal to create some sort of "ring tax" that whenever a call was made the caller would pay a penny in tax. That never went anywhere even though it would have eliminated the vast majority of spam calls.

indexer01

Post by indexer01 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:32 pm

Having lived in Spain for three years (moved back to the US two months ago), I can attest to this. I got a pair of phone calls from my own cell phone service provider offering me a cheap Android phone. I said I wasn't interested, and wasn't bothered again. Now being back stateside and dealing with all this local phone number spoofing, scams, etc...it's ridiculous.

Not sure of the reason, though. Spain has its own problem with other shady business practices that aren't really on topic, but getting scammed by your landlord, phone company, gym, etc., is not unheard of. Maybe they just haven't needed to start making calls to scam people! :twisted:

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:33 pm

A funny story is that despite being on the do not call list, this year's American winner of the Nobel prize in Economics (yeah yeah) didn't answer the phone call informing him of his win. It was only after checking caller ID that he thought he might return a call from Sweden in Nobel season. Our do not call list is not very effective.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

FireProof

Post by FireProof » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:34 pm

Watty wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:11 pm
As I recall in many countries, at least for cell phones, the person making the call pays for the call. This makes making millions of junk calls uneconomical.

I don't recall where I heard it but there was once a proposal to create some sort of "ring tax" that whenever a call was made the caller would pay a penny in tax. That never went anywhere even though it would have eliminated the vast majority of spam calls.
That's not quite it - the difference is that in the rest of the world, one doesn't use any minutes or credit for incoming calls, texts etc., ONLY for outgoing calls. In the US, you use minutes for BOTH incoming and outgoing calls. So it's just an extra cost in the US.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:38 pm

FireProof wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:34 pm
That's not quite it - the difference is that in the rest of the world, one doesn't use any minutes or credit for incoming calls, texts etc., ONLY for outgoing calls. In the US, you use minutes for BOTH incoming and outgoing calls. So it's just an extra cost in the US.
I guess. But unlimited talk and text is pretty pervasive. So incoming call isn't a billable event for most US cellular customers I think.

Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:55 pm

I would guess it has to do with several things:

1) the US is a large, developed, rich nation
2) the number of English speakers in the world > the number of Spanish speakers in the world
3) the locations of call centers (Philippines, India, etc) have a lot of English speakers
4) the US generally has less regulation than other developed nations

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:06 pm

an_asker wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:10 pm
GoldStar wrote:
That depends on the definition of junk call and crook, I guess! I get phone calls from alma mater once in a while, from various politicals and similar organizations for donations. Used to get a call from some non-local-area code number for some police charity organization. I stopped picking up the phone for unrecognized long distance numbers. Then I got a phone call from a local area code - guess what? It was the same police charity organization. Definitely an American on the other side, not a Russian, Indian or Ukranian! :oops:
Your lucky - most of the ones I get are all the Scams (someone telling me they are the IRS and I will be arrested if I don't send money, my windows computer has a virus, I am eligible for better credit card rates, I won a vacation package, COPD machine for free, ... the list goes one). Yours all sound fine and I would welcome them compared to the stuff I get.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:23 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:06 pm
an_asker wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:10 pm
GoldStar wrote:
Your lucky - most of the ones I get are all the Scams (someone telling me they are the IRS and I will be arrested if I don't send money, my windows computer has a virus, I am eligible for better credit card rates, I won a vacation package, COPD machine for free, ... the list goes one). Yours all sound fine and I would welcome them compared to the stuff I get.
We probably get those as well. Just don't pick up the phone for unknown numbers. Anyone else will try leaving a message (I hope!).

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:42 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal nor actionable). General comment threads are off topic in the forums with "Personal" in the title. See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.
(The discussion is not productive.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.