New tires - where to buy, how to get a good deal?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
itstoomuch

Re: New tires - where to buy, how to get a good deal?

Post by itstoomuch » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:23 pm

FandangoDave5010 wrote:I used to think Costco was best place for ...

Tip: The biggest item seller in Costco is Kirkland Toilet Tissue. I follow Consumer Reports advice for the best tissue on the planet...White Cloud 3-Ply Ultra Soft & Tough at Walmart.
Radial or bias ply?
WC tended to be too cohesive for our septic. :shock:
We use an inexpensive washlet bidget and invested the saving into Total Market :oops: :moneybag
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

mm3619

Re: New tires - where to buy, how to get a good deal?

Post by mm3619 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:59 pm

Discount Tire - definitely. Here's why:
1. Discount Tire will match CostCo's price. Even when CostCo has the $70 off Michelin or Bridgestone coupon.
2. Discount Tire's warranty is transferable when you sell the car. CostCo's warranty is not.
3. CostCo warranty is only for five years. Discount Tire's warranty does not have a time limit.

I learned about the non-transferable warranty and the five year limit when I took my five and a half year old tire in for a nail and they would not fix it. I quickly drove to Discount Tire and got the tire fixed. My car is always parked in a garage and the tires looked fine. CostCo is good at many things. But not tires.