canned response to email

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
rgar98

canned response to email

Post by rgar98 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:44 pm

Hello,

I asked a question via email and got what sounds like a "canned" response. Is this possible?

The question was about whether the Vanguard automatic RMD service can be used to calculate one's RMD from mutual funds held in a brokerage account. The answer I got explained everything about RMDs and how they are calculated, etc., almost as if a computer selected key phrases from my email and responded to them, but the question was never answered.

Unless I'm missing something obvious, this seems to be a simple question: Does the RMD service be used to calculate the RMD from funds in a brokerage account or not?

Thanks.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Re: canned response to email

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Vanguard does not know if you have other RMD-requirement accounts that aren't with them, so they can't calculate.

Vanguard is trying to be more responsive and spend less money by providing standard answers based on keywords. That happens everywhere these days.

PJW

Tyler Aspect

Re: canned response to email

Post by Tyler Aspect » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:06 pm

Is this one the form letter you received?

https://personal.vanguard.com/pdf/rmd.pdf

You can certainly use the service, but you are still ultimately responsible for the correct withdrawals.

One possible way to go would to calculate the RMD yourself, and check that Vanguard's RMD transactions matched your predictions.
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.