Mazda 3 w/ Snow tire or Subaru AWD with All Season Tire

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
WhiteMaxima

Mazda 3 w/ Snow tire or Subaru AWD with All Season Tire

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:05 pm

Will buy a used car as my daughter's 1st car. Find a Mazda3 hatchback with low mileage. test drove it. very dynamic in handling. She will drive it on snow. Just wondering if a Mazda with snow tire or should I looking for a Subaru with All Season or snow tire.

UpperNwGuy

Re: Mazda 3 w/ Snow tire or Subaru AWD with All Season Tire

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:10 pm

I would get the Mazda with the snow tires.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:10 pm

AWD Snow Tire > FWD Snow Tire > AWD All Season > FWD All Season

Are you in the mountains? Then I'd go with a Subie/SUV/Pickup. Otherwise, Mazda is probably fine.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:14 pm

Of course a Subaru with 4 snow tires will have more grip than either of the other choices in snow.

My story: I have a steep driveway where the hill starts immediately after going around an oak tree, so no run up. After a business trip, I was unable to get up the driveway with my Mazda 6 on 4 top rated snow tires. After about 12 attempts, I gave up and hoofed it up the driveway. I then went to my Subaru dealer and traded this for a Subaru Legacy GT. Before even picking up the car, I had Tire Rack mount up some snows on wheels and drop them in front of my garage. I have not had to walk up the driveway ever since.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

-buzz-

Post by -buzz- » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:16 pm

We have a Mazda 3 that was purchased as a kid's first car. It was 9 years old and 72k miles when we bought it. Nice little car that has been good for us.

My biggest concern with driving a Mazda in the snow would be ground clearance. I think the Subaru would do a little better clearing piled up snow around driveway entrances, etc.

researcher

Post by researcher » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:17 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:05 pm
Will buy a used car as my daughter's 1st car. Find a Mazda3 hatchback with low mileage. test drove it. very dynamic in handling. She will drive it on snow. Just wondering if a Mazda with snow tire or should I looking for a Subaru with All Season or snow tire.
Get the Mazda.

Depending on where you live, you likely won't even need snow tires.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:34 pm

For stopping the snow tires are about the only thing that makes a difference. All cars have four wheel brakes so the AWD makes little difference when you are stopping.

Which Subaru?

For example an Impreza is much different than a Forester.

What is your budget? A new car with all the latest safety features is a lot different than a 15 year old car.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:34 pm

I will get the Zoom Zoom plus a set of spare snow tire.

mlcolorado

Post by mlcolorado » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:53 pm

We live at 8,000 feet in the Colorado Rockies and have two Subaru's with dedicated Blizzak snow tires on steel wheels for the winter, and All Season tires on the original, alloy wheels for the non-winter. We used to have a front wheel drive Toyota Celica with dedicated Blizzak snow tires that we drove into the mountain from Denver most weekends. While both will work, the all wheel drive Subaru with Blizzak snow tires will start, stop, steer and walk up steep, icy, snow covered hills/driveways that will stop a front wheel drive car, even with good snow tires.

Either will work, but one works much better. :D

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:02 pm

Is Subaru more fun to drive than a Mazda3?

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:09 pm

For a FIRST car? Get the slower one, not the zoom zoom one. Add snow tires as necessary.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:33 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:09 pm
For a FIRST car? Get the slower one, not the zoom zoom one. Add snow tires as necessary.
A Mercury Grand Marquis :D

z0r

Post by z0r » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:34 pm

Consider the Ford focus. Depending on the model year it's the same car as the Mazda 3 with different options. And yeah it's a tank with snow tires and has the ground clearance of a bigger car. Could save a bunch of money vs the mazda as the focus isn't as sought after. You'll also be limited to the 2.0 engine in most years, which is good, the mazda optional 2.3 would be a mistake for new driver.

Don't get a 2012 or newer auto trans focus, or a 2000-2004 SPI/sohc engine focus (zetec or duratec are fine). All other year/engine/trans options are excellent.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:58 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:33 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
A Mercury Grand Marquis :D
I was listening to Car Talk one day and a parent asked a similar question. The Car Talk guys recommended a Volvo DL.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:16 pm

Subie.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:47 pm

RootSki wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:16 pm
Subie.
Hi reliable of Subie now? Box engine still burn oil?

srt7

Post by srt7 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:58 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:10 pm

Are you in the mountains? Then I'd go with a Subie/SUV/Pickup. Otherwise, Mazda is probably fine.
+1
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

srt7

Post by srt7 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:59 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
+1 A Subaru Crosstrek perhaps?
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:15 pm

I had a Mazda 3 for many years. Never had a problem in snow with the regular tires.

Mlm

Post by Mlm » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:15 pm

I own a Mazda 3 with snow tires. I live at the top of a steep hill and get an average of over 120 inches of snow per season. I feel perfectly safe in the car. I don't think an AWD help a lot with traction in deep snow.

rooms222

Post by rooms222 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:13 pm

Concur about the Ford Focus as long as you do not get a 2012 or onward with the Automatic. We also have Mazda 3 and Mazda Protege in the family. If you can get one that is not rusty, the Proteges have been super reliable even at 16-17 years old. The 2012 onward Focus with a stick shift is a joy.

Cruiser

Post by Cruiser » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:41 pm

For the past 10 years, I have driven a 2006 Mazda 3 hatchback (FWD) on all season tires in a climate that gets approximately 50 inches of snow every winter, with some recent years being upwards of 90-100".

I have only been stuck once, and that was due to trying to foolishly clear a 1-2' snow berm made by a plow the winter after I got the car.

Aside from that, it comes down to using common sense, adjusting your driving to match the conditions, and knowing the limits of your car and driving ability.

AWD and snow tires don't mean much when you have an inexperienced driver behind the wheel who thinks they can drive on snow as if it is rain or bare pavement. Be aware of your surroundings, leave plenty of room to give yourself time to react to other peoples' mistakes, and know the limits of your car/driving ability.

Granted, all that being said, if money is no object, and you live in an environment where you have good snowfalls, why not go for AWD and snow tires? Just don't let that lure you into a false sense of security.

Cruiser

Post by Cruiser » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:41 pm

For the past 10 years, I have driven a 2006 Mazda 3 hatchback (FWD) on all season tires in a climate that gets approximately 50 inches of snow every winter, with some recent years being upwards of 90-100".

I have only been stuck once, and that was due to trying to foolishly clear a 1-2' snow berm made by a plow the winter after I got the car.

Aside from that, it comes down to using common sense, adjusting your driving to match the conditions, and knowing the limits of your car and driving ability.

AWD and snow tires don't mean much when you have an inexperienced driver behind the wheel who thinks they can drive on snow as if it is rain or bare pavement. Be aware of your surroundings, leave plenty of room to give yourself time to react to other peoples' mistakes, and know the limits of your car/driving ability.

Granted, all that being said, if money is no object, and you live in an environment where you have good snowfalls, why not go for AWD and snow tires? Just don't let that lure you into a false sense of security.

nura

Post by nura » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:45 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:47 pm
RootSki wrote:
Subie.
Mazdas still rust?

nura

Post by nura » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:51 pm

Many folks who live in apartments or urban areas do not have the space to store four snow tires 9 months a year, not to mention the hassle to swap them twice. Back in the day ,AWD used to have 10~20% milage penalty. Present day Subarus return same gas milage as their FWD counterparts. Impreza gets nearly 40mpg.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:48 am

Bought the zoom zoom today. Take a drive, very agile FWD hatchback. Wind and tire noise is a bit high. I like the little sporty Mazda3. Come from SUV, now really appreciate the small sedan. Quick and dynamic. Will get a set of snow tire for snow season.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:45 am

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:47 pm
RootSki wrote:
Subie.
Don’t know. I only buy awd turbo Volvo’s.

I do know that on snowstorm days, I see far more Subie’s in the ski Resort parking lots than any other manufacturer.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:45 am

nura wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:51 pm
Many folks who live in apartments or urban areas do not have the space to store four snow tires 9 months a year, not to mention the hassle to swap them twice.
This is why many tire shops will store your off-season tires for you. Some will even do it for free, as long as you pay them for the seasonal swap, which seems more than fair. I know people who have the room and still do this because of the convenience factor.

dream_chaser

Post by dream_chaser » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:44 am

Subaru with winter tires.

Obviously it depends on the vehicle but as a brand Subaru generally fares well in crash tests. Their VDC (vehicle dynamics control) system works very well, and their ABS and traction control systems are some of the better ones I've encountered in this segment. Without question the VDC saved my bacon once on a freeway offramp when the car hydroplaned and was headed into some construction barrels sideways. I'm not sure if Mazda has their own flavor of stability control or how well it works.

https://www.planetsubaru.com/subaru-veh ... ol-vdc.htm

The car with winter tires will be safer in the winter.

Cody

Post by Cody » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:57 am

Not about these specific vehicles but...

I was totally ready to scrape my Honda Odessesy because of "slip slidin' away" (Minnesota winter :happy ). Someone suggested snow tires.

This might be the part that helps you.

The first new set of snow tires were the top ranked Blizzack (sp). It rained and I slide - thought that's the end of the vehicle for me.

Discount Tires said try these - Michelin (I forget the specific name of the snow tires) and they work great. Save yourself money in the long run and buy the rims if you can afford the price at the time of purchase. Rotating the tires cost about $100 otherwise. (eccept I see they will do it in October for free).

Moral of the story: Get your snow tires at place that will replace them at no cost if they don't work and try a different set of snow tires.

PS - Thank you Discount Tires.

Good Luck,
Cody

wriley4409

Post by wriley4409 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:11 am

My family owns 3 Foresters (2012, 2015, and 2016), and none of them have experienced the oil consumption problem. We have been very satisfied with the reliability of Subaru products.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:22 am

I grew up in an area that got 100+ " of snow every year. Before radial tires and front wheel drive, we always put on snow tires in winter.

Although I now live in an area with less snow, we have made trips north a lot in winter. With front wheel drive and all weather radials, we had no problems. Unless there is a need to drive in much more difficult roads/driveways - I think you no longer need snow tires.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:50 am

Having sent 2 kids out driving in the winter (1 to go), I would pick an AWD Subaru. Probably the Legacy.

Used Subarus can have some interesting issues. Oil burning and head gasket issues. Whenever I looked, I had a hard time figuring out how to avoid these issues in the late 200x and early 20xx models.

If used means 2015 and forward, I think some of these issues have decreased.

Another option if you don't want to swap tires is a tire like the Toyo Celsius. All season with winter characteristics. I put them on two cars for teen drivers. Smooth and quiet.

Both our kids drive FWD mid-sized cars with lots of air bags. It is our first major snow today. Driving is terrible and sending kids out there with all the other inexperienced/terrible drivers is a crapshoot.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

William4u

Post by William4u » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:23 am

Cody wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:57 am
Not about these specific vehicles but...

I was totally ready to scrape my Honda Odessesy because of "slip slidin' away" (Minnesota winter :happy ). Someone suggested snow tires.

This might be the part that helps you.

The first new set of snow tires were the top ranked Blizzack (sp). It rained and I slide - thought that's the end of the vehicle for me.

Discount Tires said try these - Michelin (I forget the specific name of the snow tires) and they work great. Save yourself money in the long run and buy the rims if you can afford the price at the time of purchase. Rotating the tires cost about $100 otherwise. (eccept I see they will do it in October for free).

Moral of the story: Get your snow tires at place that will replace them at no cost if they don't work and try a different set of snow tires.

PS - Thank you Discount Tires.

Good Luck,
Cody
We run Michelin X-Ice3 winter tires on all our FWD cars in the winter and they are great.

Admiral

Post by Admiral » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:29 am

One thing not mentioned: ground clearance. Outback has lots, Mazda 3 not so much. If your daughter is going to be driving in winter mountain conditions such that 4-5 inches of snow might be on the ground and the trip is still required, then a sedan with lower clearance is going to be an issue.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:30 am

Admiral wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:29 am
One thing not mentioned: ground clearance. Outback has lots, Mazda 3 not so much. If your daughter is going to be driving in winter mountain conditions such that 4-5 inches of snow might be on the ground and the trip is still required, then a sedan with lower clearance is going to be an issue.
Yes - if the car is hung up on snow and ice - the kind of tires you have matters little.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:40 am

Was looking for a 6MT for my daughter. More control of vehicle. The 5AT is ok. The car is really really fun to drive. Very engaged to the road although a a lot noise from the road.

z0r

Post by z0r » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:27 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:48 am
Bought the zoom zoom today. Take a drive, very agile FWD hatchback. Wind and tire noise is a bit high. I like the little sporty Mazda3. Come from SUV, now really appreciate the small sedan. Quick and dynamic. Will get a set of snow tire for snow season.
good choice!

I do chuckle when I see that nobody ever gushes about how quick/dynamic the ford focus is. Those zoom zoom ads have made an incredible lasting mark. I have this pet theory that a typical used focus will have been driven way easier than a typical used mazda 3, purely because of who they're sold to.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:53 pm

z0r wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:27 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:48 am
good choice!

I do chuckle when I see that nobody ever gushes about how quick/dynamic the ford focus is. Those zoom zoom ads have made an incredible lasting mark. I have this pet theory that a typical used focus will have been driven way easier than a typical used mazda 3, purely because of who they're sold to.
The Mazda3 gen1 and gen2 are based on Ford global C1 platform. Same to Volvo S40. So driving dynamic would be similar.

Millennial

Post by Millennial » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:18 pm

I owned both of these cars, simultaneously. My wife's Mazda 3 (2.3i, auto) had snow tires. My WRX had new Conti Extreme contact DWS all seasons. Without exception, the Mazda was superior in the snow. Acceleration was the closest, but I still think the mazda was better when it was slippery. On turning and braking, there was no contest - the Mazda was the clear winner.

amd2135

Post by amd2135 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:45 pm

Great choice on the Mazda! I have a '14 Mazda6 with Blizzaks in the winter. It could drive circles around my old 4WD GMC Envoy SUV with Michelin all season tires.

Tires make all the difference.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:01 pm

Alexa9 wrote:

I would refine this more like:

AWD Snow Tire > FWD Snow Tire >>> AWD All Season > FWD All Season

The difference given by snow tires is much larger than the difference given by AWD.
That being said I haven't yet seen a place in continental US where FWD + good all season tires in good shape is not enough. I goo skiing a lot and I drove all over US from California to Utah and from Colorado to upstate NY at high altitudes and snow storms with this type of combination with no problems. But yes, sure, it is better and safer to have snow tires.

NoHeat

Post by NoHeat » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:25 pm

My Mazda3 with studded snow tires is awesome in the snow. Despite being only front-wheel drive, it is actually better than my 4WD truck, which has aggressive tread but not snow tires.

Clearance is the only thing I give up, by driving the Mazda3 with four snow tires, as compared to the 4WD truck.

I bought mounted snow tires from tirerack.com (tires plus wheel, already mounted and balanced) and I had a very good customer experience. It costs about $25 to swap the four wheels, each season, at a tire shop.

Very few people these days buy snowtires, but they don’t know what they’re missing. Snow tires are so much better than all-season tires, and less costly than adding AWD. I think they’re great.

William4u

Post by William4u » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:06 pm

Starfish wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:01 pm
Alexa9 wrote:

The difference given by snow tires is much larger than the difference given by AWD.
That being said I haven't yet seen a place in continental US where FWD + good all season tires in good shape is not enough. I goo skiing a lot and I drove all over US from California to Utah and from Colorado to upstate NY at high altitudes and snow storms with this type of combination with no problems. But yes, sure, it is better and safer to have snow tires.
Absolutely correct. Consumer Reports agrees as well. An AWD car with all season tires is not nearly as stable and grippy in snow and ice as a FWD car with snow tires. Night and day.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:18 pm

I don't like the way FWD cars drive and a lot of AWD cars are heavily FWD biased so the same applies. So I've driven a RWD in the snow belt for 18 years now. I've done it with and without winter tires. Winter life is better with winter tires. You can corner, stop, and go better. A limited slip differential and 140 lb rear ballast also do important things. Deactivate the traction control or you'll need new rear brake pads each year.

joeblow

Post by joeblow » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:16 am

Snow tires for the win...

...if you live where snow is an issue.

We have a Subi outback and the snow tires are awesome. We have dedicated wheels/tires for the winter. I was blown away how much of a difference it makes. We just bought another full size SUV and plan to buy new wheels and snow tires for it as well. Simply not worth not having when hauling the family around. We'll do the same when we buy vehicles for the kids.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:29 am

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:05 pm
what color is the M3?The M3 is really a toyota corolla, is it not? good little car.
subaru's are great too.
give DD the maxima???
buy the subaru for yoself?
we have a subi legacy wagon outback parked out front, 2006 flat 4, oil leaks like a sieve. steel engine block. aluminium exhaust heads. wildly different coefficients of thermal expansion. no gasket can seal it. I refuse to pay for a 2nd head gasket job. supposedly they fixed this in later models. do your own research. so I've been told.
(how do you find your white maxima when there is fresh snow? sound the horn w/ the keyfob?)
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:19 am

William4u wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:06 pm
Starfish wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:01 pm
Alexa9 wrote:

Absolutely correct. Consumer Reports agrees as well. An AWD car with all season tires is not nearly as stable and grippy in snow and ice as a FWD car with snow tires. Night and day.
Another vote for snow tires. Every car made in the last 100 years or so has 4 wheel brakes. Stopping is a lot more important than getting going! And even on the getting going front, FWD on good snows will beat AWD on no-season tires.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:29 am

Mlm wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:15 pm
I own a Mazda 3 with snow tires. I live at the top of a steep hill and get an average of over 120 inches of snow per season. I feel perfectly safe in the car. I don't think an AWD help a lot with traction in deep snow.
I invite you to my house when we get 8 inches of New England snow. I guaranty you won't get up the hill on my driveway. If you live in Houston, you don't think you need AWD to get through snow because you just watch it on TV. If you're in one of the western states that gets fluffy, dry, powdery snow.....well, that's not real snow. As I've noted before, I absolutely could not get up my driveway after a snowstorm in my mazda 6 with 4 snows, trying a dozen times. Driving normally.....driving backwards....trying after setting tracks through the snow. A FWD one wheel drive car without snows? Nope. My Subarus with snows....never had an instance where I or my wife or my son could not get up the driveway.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

fizxman

Post by fizxman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:24 am

This is my personal experience so take it for what it's worth.

Last year, three couples went to the Adirondacks for a long weekend of snowmobiling. I drove my Subaru Outback, with snow tires, towing 1500 lbs (400 lbs trailer + 550 lbs snowmobiles x 2). Another friend drove his F-250 towing his 4-up trailer and the third couple drove their Honda CR-V AWD without snow tires. When it was time to head home, there was maybe 4-6" of snow in the driveway. My Subaru had no issues moving with the trailer, forward or backward (and neither did the F-250). The Honda CR-V's all-season tires, with plenty of tread, were spinning in the snow. I was quite surprised how much of an issue the Honda was having and I chalked it up to the lack of snow tires. He said that he would be getting a set for this year. So I would go with a FWD car with snow tires over an AWD car without snow tires. Or go nuts like me and get AWD with snow tires. The only issue with that is the feeling of invincibility may be too much for some people.