Kirkland (Costco) Razor

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CABob

Kirkland (Costco) Razor

Post by CABob »

I see that Costco now has a Kirkland brand of three bladed razor, perhaps to compete with the Gillette Mach3.
Kirkland Razor
I was wondering if anyone has tried this razor and what they thought of it.
I had been using the Gillette 5 blade razor but recently went back to the Mach 3 blade and like it. I generally find good quality and value in Kirkland products and wondering about this one.
Bob
stats99

Re: Kirkland (Costco) Razor

Post by stats99 »

I recently bought these razors and have been using them for about 2 months. They are cheaper and I like the weight of the razor itself. I measured the Costco blade compared to the Gillette blades and I estimate they are about 10% shorter. I can actually notice this slight difference with shaving. The shave itself is fine, but do notice that the blade is not as long.
car733

Post by car733 »

Have you tried using a double edge safety razor? Razors are cheap :)
Momus

Post by Momus »

How about IPL it all and you won't have any beard or moustache forever? Home device starts at $100

That's what I'm doing since I can't grow a full beard... Moustache just look stupid in most people. Also, I did it for armpit hair, I have 0 growth now. Hair traps odor, I have no more smell and deodorant just becomes more effective, more surface area and it looks clean with a tank top (nothing is sticking out). My IPL device is one of my best investment ever lol.
jadd806

Post by jadd806 »

1 blade to cut the hair... 2 blades to drag along the skin behind and cause nicks/irritation? It's a wasteful marketing gimmick.

Go double edge and you can cut your shaving costs by 80% compared to these and get a better shave.

A decade ago when I was still getting ripped off to shave I used what appears to be an identical product to this from BJ's. Dulled quickly and caused a lot of irritation.
NextMil

Post by NextMil »

I tried de safety twice and failed miserably. I used the merkur and tried different blades and couldn’t ever get the angle right Was bummed when Costco stopped carrying the turbo. Switched to 5 blade and I don’t think it performs as well as the turbo which is also disappointing. I have one of those gimmicky razor sharpeners which extends the blade life, it actually doesn’t sharpen it just cleans the blade, but seems to work. Might be worth trying if you fail at double edge or don’t have luck with the Kirkland brand.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

What's wrong with an electric razor? You won't cut yourself.
Cheryl604

Post by Cheryl604 »

I use Costco razors on my legs, and I think they work great.
sport

Post by sport »

CABob wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:28 pm I was wondering if anyone has tried this razor and what they thought of it.
If you think you might like it, buy one and try it. If you do not like it, you can return it for a full refund.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Momus wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:12 am How about IPL it all and you won't have any beard or moustache forever? Home device starts at $100

That's what I'm doing since I can't grow a full beard... Moustache just look stupid in most people. Also, I did it for armpit hair, I have 0 growth now. Hair traps odor, I have no more smell and deodorant just becomes more effective, more surface area and it looks clean with a tank top (nothing is sticking out). My IPL device is one of my best investment ever lol.
Interesting. I am in the same situation- cannot grow a beard. How many times do you have to use the IPL before nothing grows back? How painful is it?
Topic Author
CABob

Post by CABob »

sport wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:45 am
CABob wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:28 pm I was wondering if anyone has tried this razor and what they thought of it.
If you think you might like it, buy one and try it. If you do not like it, you can return it for a full refund.
I will probably get one to try and will use it until I run out of blades then decide whether to continue.
HueyLD wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:43 am What's wrong with an electric razor? You won't cut yourself.
And I won't get a particularly good shave in my opinion.
car733 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:01 am Have you tried using a double edge safety razor? Razors are cheap :)
I used double edge years ago. Have you heard of Gillette Blue Blades?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjyAFQTkDj0
Bob
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

I use a double-edged razor as well - but have been using a single-edged the past few days. The razor is likely an antique but the blades are not, I get a nice shave every time for much less than the cheapest cartridge razor.

The main downsides - carrying blades on a plane (they must go in checked luggage), and disposal (though I assume they can be put into recycling.)
daheld

Post by daheld »

Whakamole wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:52 am I use a double-edged razor as well - but have been using a single-edged the past few days. The razor is likely an antique but the blades are not, I get a nice shave every time for much less than the cheapest cartridge razor.

The main downsides - carrying blades on a plane (they must go in checked luggage), and disposal (though I assume they can be put into recycling.)
Put your used razors in this. It stores a TON of used blades and when it gets full, just wrap it up in duct tape and throw it in the trash.

https://www.westcoastshaving.com/produc ... gLEk_D_BwE
niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 »

I used double edged razors but I need to be very attentive or else will have cuts.
I stopped using them due to this. I still do have many blades.

i have since went to wilkinson and/or gillette mach 3 on sale.

I did see the kirkland razor. Might need to try that out if they cost less than mach 3.

I havent heard of single edge or IPL till now
cal91

Post by cal91 »

daheld wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:24 pm
Whakamole wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:52 am I use a double-edged razor as well - but have been using a single-edged the past few days. The razor is likely an antique but the blades are not, I get a nice shave every time for much less than the cheapest cartridge razor.

Put your used razors in this. It stores a TON of used blades and when it gets full, just wrap it up in duct tape and throw it in the trash.

I must be missing something. Why store your used blades to later throw away? Why not just throw away immediately?
Momus

Post by Momus »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:06 am
Momus wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:12 am How about IPL it all and you won't have any beard or moustache forever? Home device starts at $100

Interesting. I am in the same situation- cannot grow a beard. How many times do you have to use the IPL before nothing grows back? How painful is it?
Armpit 6x
Moustache 10-12x

Once a week, then 0 hair growth. It targets the dark hair and destroy the hair follicle down the skin. I also use it for stranglers, hair that is growing on a weird spot, and get rid of those too. It won't work if you have blond, red, or gray hair. Or, if you are a black person, it will just burn your skin. You need professional laser in this case.

Pain level 3/10, it's like having a hot light on you for 2 seconds everytime you flash it.
Topic Author
CABob

Post by CABob »

niceguy7376 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:22 pm I did see the kirkland razor. Might need to try that out if they cost less than mach 3.
The Kirklkand appears to be approximately half of the cost of Mach 3.
I also find it interesting that Costco decided to "copy" the 3 bladed razor rather than to 5 blade one.
Bob
dorothyday

Post by dorothyday »

I just bought one, I too like the weight of the handle, blade seems fine.

What causes all razor blades to age is the moisture. Two ways to dry the blade. One is to use a blowdryer. The second method, the one I use, is to rinse the blade in isopropyl alcohol after shaving. I typically get about a month out of one blade. I keep a little pyrex bowl of alcohol under the sink.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

I have been using inexpensive disposable Costco 2 blade razors for 25+ years. I think they sell in packages of 25-32 or more per pack. I have a heavy beard, shave perhaps 4-5 times a week. I'd guess each Costco razor lasts at least a month maybe longer. We just picked up a pack of 3 blade Costco razors last weekend - my wife will most likely use them as I still have at least a year or more supply of the 2 blade razors and see no need to change.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

car733 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:01 am Have you tried using a double edge safety razor? Razors are cheap :)
No thanks. I used those cheap double-edged safety razors before discovering the Mach 3. It's not just that the Mach 3 has 3 blades, but the way it's spring-loaded cartridge functions. Try it out and you probably won't go back.

If the Kirkland razor is an acceptable clone of the Mach 3, count me in.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

Momus wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:27 pm

Armpit 6x
Moustache 10-12x

Once a week, then 0 hair growth. It targets the dark hair and destroy the hair follicle down the skin. I also use it for stranglers, hair that is growing on a weird spot, and get rid of those too. It won't work if you have blond, red, or gray hair. Or, if you are a black person, it will just burn your skin. You need professional laser in this case.

Pain level 3/10, it's like having a hot light on you for 2 seconds everytime you flash it.
Is there an IPL device that you would recommend?
Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz »

https://www.target.com/p/men-s-triple-b ... -52585100

I use these without much difficulty - work fine.
8 for around $6.
Momus

Post by Momus »

Finridge wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:40 pm
Momus wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:27 pm

Armpit 6x
Moustache 10-12x

Is there an IPL device that you would recommend?
DEESS series 3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078P6X7SM/re ... VBbVVVGY8A

That's what I used personally.
daheld

Post by daheld »

cal91 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:00 pm
daheld wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:24 pm

I must be missing something. Why store your used blades to later throw away? Why not just throw away immediately?
Because they're double edged razor blades. You can't just throw them in a plastic trash bag unless you want to slice your hand wide open. You can individually tape each one with duct tape but it's a pain to do it every time you throw out a blade. That blade bank will hold at least 100 blades.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Finridge wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:36 pm
No thanks. I used those cheap double-edged safety razors before discovering the Mach 3. It's not just that the Mach 3 has 3 blades, but the way it's spring-loaded cartridge functions. Try it out and you probably won't go back.

If the Kirkland razor is an acceptable clone of the Mach 3, count me in.
Using a safety razor takes a little experimentation, especially with different brand blades. The multi blade cartridge razors are a more expensive, one-size-fits-all solution, but it would be a rare person indeed who actually gets a better shave from them than from a DE razor with the right blade for their beard.

The is definitely a learning curve, but if you're patient, having an extremely clean shave and never experiencing razor burn is nice.

JT
Escape Velocity

Post by Escape Velocity »

I tried the Kirkland razor/blade package. Like Kirkland in general, and otherwise I use Mach 3 so I figured I'd give them a try.

I found them to be terrible. Gave me both nicks and irritation on the first (and only) use. Returned them the next day.

Interestingly, I told the return guy about my experience and he said he had tried them as well and got a terrible rash/burn on his face as well.

I was very surprised that Kirkland put its name on these blades. After returning them, I bought the Mach 3 blades on sale and all is right with the world again ;-)

BTW, I can get 1-2 months of use out of one of the Mach 3 cartridges, by simply cleaning them well with hot water and drying them thoroughly on my towel before putting the razor away.

YMMV,

EV-
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

Stainless Steel Safety Razor (made in Germany) on Amazon: $38. You will have it for the rest of your life
100 blades: $8.
https://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Long-Hand ... fety+Razor

1 box lasts a year. Do you think before disposable razors were invested people just went around with bad shaves? Used properly, safety razors give a VERY close shave. Lots on videos on YouTube on how to shave properly with a safety razor. It takes a bit more time than a billion-blade razor.

Why anyone would throw away money on a Mach-25 or fill a landfill with plastic throwaways is beyond my comprehension.

My personal regimen is a safety razor shave alternated with an electric razor.
roflwaffle

Post by roflwaffle »

This! 100 Trac2/Atra razor blades are $16+ on Amazing0n. They shave well enough and when they get too dull/old/clogged up, switching to another one costs a whopping $.15.
dpc

Post by dpc »

Have you tried using a double edge safety razor? Razors are cheap
Yes, about 50 years ago. I'd never go back. I get annoyed at the cost of the Gillette cartridges, but never found anything else that works as well. I hate shaving so it's not an area where I want to scrimp if there is a better product available.

There are some old threads about extending the life of the refills - dry them off after and maybe hone before each use.
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers
queso

Post by queso »

+1 to all the Gillette posters. I looked at this razor really closely the last time the Fusion 5 blades were on sale and almost went for it, but my Dorco experience has left me jaded (Dorco is also rebranded/sold as "Dollar Shave Club" and others). I tried so hard to like the Dorco blades and went through 3 types of blades and 2 different handles before I gave up a year later and bought a Fusion 5. The first shave was like a miracle. The hair just swept away with no pain, burning or cuts. I had convinced myself the Dorcos were probably just as good and I was paying for a name. Nope. Not even close. Now I just buy the limit of whatever Gillette blade is on sale when I get low.
cheezit

Post by cheezit »

I've been using a straight razor exclusively for about two years now. The marginal cost per shave from the razor itself is essentially zero :wink:

Beware that most of the places you can go for advice about starting out with safety razors and straight razors (and the old-fashioned soap-and-brush lather that usually goes along with them) are full of collectors and enthusiasts, and the nature of hobbyist forums (of all sorts) is to encourage getting "one of everything", which blows away the cost savings and then some. So if savings is your main goal, just go into things with your eyes open while you're learning the ropes so you don't end up like one of the forum posters with a half dozen razors and five dozen soaps. You can get everything you need from Maggard for probably about $30 and never buy anything but blades again if you ignore the noise. Personally, I ended up taking up the hobby of restoring old straight razors as a hobby, but once I've sold off most of my Ebay purchases I'm probably going to knock that off for a while - not enough hours in the day so I have to limit how many active hobbies I have and prioritize between them.

I do, however, enjoy my fifteen minutes of zen in the morning, and my wife likes how smooth I can get my cheeks.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

Escape Velocity wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:19 am
BTW, I can get 1-2 months of use out of one of the Mach 3 cartridges, by simply cleaning them well with hot water and drying them thoroughly on my towel before putting the razor away.

YMMV,

EV-
I can usually get 3+ months use out of a Mach 3 cartridge. Towards the end, they are noticeably less sharp, but still work acceptably--you just need to apply a bit more pressure and use a few more strokes. The main challenge when doing this is remember to use a "lighter touch" when you finally upgrade from an old cartridge to a new one, because if you use the new one the same way, you will get nicked.

Also, I do not do anything special with my Mach 3 cartridges to make them last longer. After use, I just give it one last rinse under the facet and then put it back in its holder. I do not dry it.

I just checked the current cartridge I am using. I've been using it for over 3 months now, and it's nearing the end of its lifespan. But there is no rust or corrosion.

Also, I tried one of the new "as close as a blade" shavers recently. They really are much better than they were before and are nearly as good as using a blade like the Mach 3. But after alternating for about a month, I found that I thought the shaver still was not as close as the blade. Also--I timed it-- using the shaver took almost exactly the same amount of time on average as using the blade. So I ended up returning the shaver.

Where I could see it being useful is if you have to shave somewhere that doesn't have running water, or even no hot running water. But that's not a situation that I expect to be in very often, or ever.