Microsoft Windows 10 Update might cause data loss [Build 1809]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Microsoft Windows 10 Update might cause data loss [Build 1809]

Post by ResearchMed »

Please BACK UP any Windows 10 systems asap:

Uh oh...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevang ... 4e503d665b

Apparently Microsoft has suspended the next Windows 10 Update, but it already started for some users.

Per the article (and other news reports) some users reported data losses.

One REAL problem is that for the "home" edition, there was/is NO way to delay this update.
(My experience was that the update showed up, and my only choices were to delay it until a certain time, and then not much of a choice, OR it would happen the next time my system shut down and re-started so shutting down wasn't a fix.)

It doesn't look like I've lost anything, and I have very recent backups, in case I had (or if there is any sort of delay to the "problem").

Question: How would a "glitch" (understatement) like this affect automated backups?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Cyclesafe

Re: Microsoft Windows 10 Update might cause data loss

Post by Cyclesafe »

Windows 10 update deleted my Outlook favorites. Most frustrating, with no fix apparent. Otherwise, OK (as fa as I can tell).
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Cyclesafe wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:39 am Windows 10 update deleted my Outlook favorites. Most frustrating, with no fix apparent. Otherwise, OK (as fa as I can tell).
If you have a backup of the image you might be able to recover them from the profile. I don't use Outlook but I do use Thunderbird. Many apps like that have the profile stored in the C: drive by default. I move them when I set up the app so that they are stored in a volume that gets backed up daily. Both Firefox and Chrome store bookmarks/favorites in the profile folder. Moving it out of the normal location is a bit of a chore but worth the effort.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

According to this site, you can temporarily turn off the automatic update by disabling Windows Update Service.
Solution 1. Disable Windows Update Service

Understand the limitations of this method. While disabling the automatic update service will temporarily halt any Windows 10 cumulative updates, the service will re-enable itself after a certain amount of time. Here are the directions:

1. Press the Windows logo key + R at the same time to invoke the Run box.

2. Type services.msc and press Enter.

3. Scroll down to Windows Update, and double-click it.

4. In Startup type, select Disabled. Then click Apply and OK to save the settings.
https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-reso ... pdate.html
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

My desktop is still at 1709; my VMs are at 1803. I have the network connection on my desktop designated as "metered." I get security patches for 1709 and I can control when the updates are installed. I typically run a backup image to a USB drive using Macrium Reflect before I allow any Cumulative Update or Version upgrade to install. I will probably make the jump to 1803 when I have some time. I try to keep my system one step behind to let the early installers debug the system. I think I'll let 1809 macerate for a while before I even look at it.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Good idea, Jeb.
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

jebmke wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:57 am My desktop is still at 1709; my VMs are at 1803. I have the network connection on my desktop designated as "metered." I get security patches for 1709 and I can control when the updates are installed. I typically run a backup image to a USB drive using Macrium Reflect before I allow any Cumulative Update or Version upgrade to install. I will probably make the jump to 1803 when I have some time. I try to keep my system one step behind to let the early installers debug the system. I think I'll let 1809 macerate for a while before I even look at it.
Ah... great idea to set as "metered".

I seem to have dodged a bullet on this one (or haven't noticed any oddball "missings", anyway), but it's nice to be able to control things.

I also have my backups controlled. Obviously the "on demand" backups to hard drives are at my choice, but even the so-called automated ones like Carbonite, I keep "off", and I then frequently "do" a backup (or after some important data are new on my system.

I'm really surprised that something like this could have gotten through their testing.
Do they yet know "what combination of conditions" have to occur (or whatever "it" is) such that even regular data folders/files could just go "poof"!?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

Kaby-based desktop and Dell XPS laptop were both upgraded and have experienced no issues or data loss. Of course, I do not use Edge, so cannot speak to those particular issues.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

Cyclesafe wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:39 am Windows 10 update deleted my Outlook favorites. Most frustrating, with no fix apparent. Otherwise, OK (as fa as I can tell).
I wouldn't have thought an OS update would have modified Outlook...Did you do Office updates too?

Post by 2015 »

I knew it was only a matter of time before windoze 10 did something like this. It's the reason I've been delaying getting a new laptop as there are just too many victim stories attached to windoze 10. I try to stay as far away from all things microhard as much as possible and would never use outlook voluntarily.

As virtually everything I do is digital, fear of data loss is why everything on my computer is kept behind encryption and then backed up to Google Drive. If I lost data on my laptop or even my laptop in its entirety it would be no loss.
dadu007

Post by dadu007 »

F150HD

Post by F150HD »

2015 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:52 pm I knew it was only a matter of time before windoze 10 did something like this. It's the reason I've been delaying getting a new laptop as there are just too many victim stories attached to windoze 10. I try to stay as far away from all things microhard as much as possible and would never use outlook voluntarily.

As virtually everything I do is digital, fear of data loss is why everything on my computer is kept behind encryption and then backed up to Google Drive. If I lost data on my laptop or even my laptop in its entirety it would be no loss.
more stories here....from a few months ago:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=248694&p=4071018&h ... e#p3920638
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

Post by 2015 »

F150HD wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:07 pm
2015 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:52 pm I knew it was only a matter of time before windoze 10 did something like this. It's the reason I've been delaying getting a new laptop as there are just too many victim stories attached to windoze 10. I try to stay as far away from all things microhard as much as possible and would never use outlook voluntarily.

more stories here....from a few months ago:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=248694&p=4071018&h ... e#p3920638
I know, I saw them, shuddered and was thankful I don't have windoze 10. To me, microhard is like one of those annoying songs that you hear everywhere, that keeps getting played over and over and over, and that just won't seem to go away.
bberris

Post by bberris »

Update corrupted my video drivers, and no way to reinstall them or roll back. Restore point would not work. I had to restore from a system backup.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Another public service announcement, Updated version of Windows 10 October 2018 Update released to Windows Insiders - Windows Experience BlogWindows Experience Blog.

Looks like they've found and resolved the problem. Time, and the end-user community, will tell.

Although Microsoft's current release model involves lots of early adopter testing, it is also a reminder of two things
  1. make sure you've done a backup before attempting any major software update/changes
  2. sometimes it is best not to be an early adopter, let others discover the problems.
Personally I'm an early adopter who likes to live on the bleeding edge so updated as soon as the update was available. My desktop system updated smoothly and without issue. Per my SOP, I had fully backups available before I started the update.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I updated mine right away. That's what backups are for :D

Post by 2015 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:25 am Another public service announcement, Updated version of Windows 10 October 2018 Update released to Windows Insiders - Windows Experience BlogWindows Experience Blog.

Looks like they've found and resolved the problem. Time, and the end-user community, will tell.

Although Microsoft's current release model involves lots of early adopter testing, it is also a reminder of two things
  1. make sure you've done a backup before attempting any major software update/changes
  2. sometimes it is best not to be an early adopter, let others discover the problems.
Personally I'm an early adopter who likes to live on the bleeding edge so updated as soon as the update was available. My desktop system updated smoothly and without issue. Per my SOP, I had fully backups available before I started the update.
I'm always thankful to early adopters for serving as road kill showing me which potholes to avoid. Being first rarely works in business and I don't see how it should be different in most other domains (but particularly with anything microhard).
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

No problem. Just restore your Microsoft backup.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Microsoft Windows 10 Update might cause data loss [Build 1809]

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - I retitled the thread to clarify this is Build 1809.

Build 1803 is discussed here: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Post by 2015 »

whodidntante wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:29 pm No problem. Just restore your Microsoft backup.
No thanks. I'll get a Mac and avoid the headaches involved with just about every windoze 10 update. Given the abysmal track record, what waits in the future?
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

2015 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:29 am
whodidntante wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:29 pm No problem. Just restore your Microsoft backup.
No thanks. I'll get a Mac and avoid the headaches involved with just about every windoze 10 update. Given the abysmal track record, what waits in the future?
Just this year there were a bunch of issues with failed installations of High Sierra on the Mac.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:33 am Just this year there were a bunch of issues with failed installations of High Sierra on the Mac.
Every OS has issues from time to time. I've had Linux machines crash and burn. You just don't hear as much about Linux because it is a small share of user market.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Installed 1809 the day it was released here--no issues noted. Installed the new and improved (?) update of it when it was released a week later--no issues noted.

Some are luckier than others. Knock on wood.