Help with choices for new car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
EMDW

Help with choices for new car

Post by EMDW »

Hello,
Need suggestions for a new car to purchase with cash. Current car is 2008 lexus IS bought new; doesn't handle well in snow/ice which occurs only several times a year where I live. Criteria for a new car:

1. Forward-collision warning
2. Automatic emergency braking
3. +/-AWD (all wheel drive)
4. Good gas milage

Considerations:
2018 subaru outback
2018 mazda CX-5
2018 toyota camry
2018 lexus NX or RX
others to consider? electric? hybrids?
Thank you.
Last edited by EMDW on Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Re: Help with choices for new car

Post by jebmke »

EMDW wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:58 pm 3018 lexus NX or RX
What do you plan to drive for the next 1,000 years? :P

My wife has a 2018 Camry Hybrid. She really likes the car. I don't drive it much so I have not gotten used to all the features -- it is a pretty busy dashboard. I find it a bit awkward to get in and out of since it is built quite low. But I drive a RAV4 so I am used to the higher frame of the SUV. The Camry is quite comfortable to drive in. The hybrid seems to do well transitioning in and out of engine-battery. In 2018 they tucked the batteries under the rear seat so it now has a fairly normal size trunk.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

The Outback does not have cooled seats, but the Lexus RX does. Both have heated seats.

The Lexus will have parking assist where it will beep if front bumper / fenders get too close to something. The Outback has nothing for the front bumper when parking.

The gas mileages for my Outback 3.6R and RX-350 are pretty much identical.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

You don't need a new car and you don't need AWD. What you need are winter tires - tires designed to perform optimally in low temperatures and on ice and snow. Even a RWD vehicle like your IS will perform much, much better than the best AWD system with "all-season" tires. I put "all-season" in quotes because in reality there's no such thing - they are at best three-season tires and unacceptable for anything more than a flurry. AWD only helps you go; winter tires help you go and stop much, much better than any AWD system can. I can't put in words what a huge difference it is.

If you do decide to get a new car for other reasons - of your list I'd go with the CX-5. Good-looking, handles well (for a crossover), nice interior, decent fuel economy. Or maybe wait for the Lexus UX, which will be one size smaller than the NX and will be available as a hybrid.
Last edited by 02nz on Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Osprey

Post by Osprey »

Subaru Outback 2019 is similar to 2018 but blind spot detection system is much improved as 2019 model indicator is much easier to see.
Topic Author
EMDW

Post by EMDW »

02nz wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:19 pm You don't need a new car and you don't need AWD. What you need are winter tires - tires designed to perform optimally in low temperatures and on ice and snow. Even a RWD vehicle like your IS will perform much, much better than the best AWD system with "all-season" tires. I put "all-season" in quotes because in reality there's no such thing - they are at best three-season tires and unacceptable for anything more than a flurry. AWD only helps you go; winter tires help you go and stop much, much better than any AWD system can. I can't put in words what a huge difference it is.

If you do decide to get a new car for other reasons - of your list I'd go with the CX-5. Good-looking, handles well (for a crossover), nice interior, decent fuel economy. Or maybe wait for the Lexus UX, which will be one size smaller than the NX and will be available as a hybrid.
I was told by the dealership 2 years ago that changing the tires to anything else will change the performance of the sports car? Told me to stay home during icy condition.
monkey_business

Post by monkey_business »

EMDW wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:32 pm
02nz wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:19 pm You don't need a new car and you don't need AWD. What you need are winter tires - tires designed to perform optimally in low temperatures and on ice and snow. Even a RWD vehicle like your IS will perform much, much better than the best AWD system with "all-season" tires. I put "all-season" in quotes because in reality there's no such thing - they are at best three-season tires and unacceptable for anything more than a flurry. AWD only helps you go; winter tires help you go and stop much, much better than any AWD system can. I can't put in words what a huge difference it is.

I was told by the dealership 2 years ago that changing the tires to anything else will change the performance of the sports car? Told me to stay home during icy condition.
A. If your car's performance is poor (in the snow), changing its performance is a good thing.
B. A Lexus IS is not a sports car.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Osprey wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:20 pm Subaru Outback 2019 is similar to 2018 but blind spot detection system is much improved as 2019 model indicator is much easier to see.
I couldn't find an example youtube showing the change, but on the 2018 the indicators on the side mirrors are so in your face that I cannot imagine they would be easier to see, plus there is beeping for which you can change the volume so that it is not annoying. Can you describe the 2019 improvement when you have chance?

Another car to look at might be a Volvo crossover or SUV.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Your dealer is an idiot.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Well, changing the tires will change the performance. Just like changing any other aspect of the car that has anything to do with performance, such as the shocks. The question is whether the change would be for the better or worse. And I can't stress this enough: putting good winter tires on your car (I like the Michelin Xi3 myself but there are many other good ones - check TireRack) will dramatically improve safety and drivability in winter.

"Told me to stay home during icy condition." Well, if it's icy out, obviously it's better to stay home. It's also better to stay home when it's not icy out, because, well, you have a much higher risk of being in a car accident when you're on the road than if you're sitting home. But if you need to get going (and more importantly come to a stop), winter tires, not AWD, is the answer.
ladycat

Post by ladycat »

I have a 2004 Lexus RX and love it. No GPS, no touchscreen stuff, real buttons and dials for controls. :happy
When I bought it, I was deciding between the Lexus and Toyota Highlander. I could barely pull the tail-gait down on the Highlander....choice made....I was not going to fight with my vehicle every time I put something in the back.
I've read from several sources that the new Lexus models have a terrible user interface. On paper, lots of cars look great, but sitting in each and using all the controls may rule some out for you. The seat may not suit you, you may hate the controls, etc.
fastrak99

Post by fastrak99 »

IF the main concern is winter driveability - dedicated snow / winter tires will fix that to you better than any other 'new' car can. It is incredible the difference it causes. Taken you do not drive your lexus like a maniac, at 10/10s of the car potential, you will not notice any significant downsides to the tires in day to day driving. Call tire rack for advice, and dont be afraid to spend the money on a good set. :sharebeer :sharebeer
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

2018 lexus NX

Don't see reason for anything else.
Watty

Post by Watty »

The need for AWD in moderate climates compared to just front wheel drive is one of the topics that comes up regularly. You can search old threads to see these but there is not a strong consensus except that getting good snow tires is a key thing to do if you will be driving in snow regardless of if you have AWD or front wheel drive.

All season tires are not snow tires.With snow tires you will need to swap the tires each fall and spring.

All cars have four wheel brakes so AWD really does not make a lot of difference in your stopping distance in the snow so be clear in your expectations of what want the AWD to do for you. I live in Atlanta where we get some snow and ice most winters and one thing I have consistently noticed is that when the roads are slick a very high percentage of the cars in the ditches are AWD. The problem is that many people with AWD will assume that their cars can handle the slick road and drive too fast. People without AWD tend to slow down, like they should, when road conditions are bad.

If you are otherwise happy with your current car but have not been using snow tires then you might give it one more year but get good snow tires this year.

Also pay a lot of attention to how much ground clearance the car has. If there are eight inches of snow and you only have six inches of ground clearance you will have problems no matter what type of drive train it has.

Here is what consumer reports says.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/mag ... /index.htm

My personal take on this is that unless you live in some place like the mountains of Montana then a front wheel drive car good snow tires is probably good enough if you only get snow several times a year.
EMDW wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:58 pm others to consider?
You might also consider a Toyota Avalon which is a year or two old. It is which is a step up from a Camry. I have not looked into them but there was a post a while that indicated that there can be better deals on these because they are not as popular as the Camry.

One thing to keep in mind too is that car models generally get larger over time. I bought a 2018 Corolla this year and it is about the size of an early 2000's Camry I owned. Having owned a Lexus you might not be interested in a Corolla but it would be good to keep an open mind on some other car models that you might think are smaller than they actually are.
Last edited by Watty on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

If weather ice and snow is bad I'd get a four wheel drive and also use winter tires. Maybe older low mile certified Lexus RX350/400 in 4x wheel drive. Or new 2018 or 2019 models of Rav4, Subaru Outback or Forester, Mazda CX-5, and Honda CRV (only if Honda oil dilution problem has been confirmed as fixed). For something bigger try 4x drive version of Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander or Mazda CX-9.
Osprey

Post by Osprey »

[I couldn't find an example youtube showing the change, but on the 2018 the indicators on the side mirrors are so in your face that I cannot imagine they would be easier to see, plus there is beeping for which you can change the volume so that it is not annoying. Can you describe the 2019 improvement when you have chance?/quote]

In 2018 premium model blind spot indicator is a small light up symbol on side mirror itself, hard to see in direct sun.

In 2019, indicator is not on mirror itself, it is larger light area on frame of side mirror, larger and contrasts to frame better so much easier to see.

We had a 2015, and just got a 2019, much happier with the blind spot indicator for premium model. This change was included on Limited version of 2018 model.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

EMDW wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:58 pm Hello,
Need suggestions for a new car to purchase with cash. Current car is 2008 lexus IS bought new; doesn't handle well in snow/ice which occurs only several times a year where I live. Criteria for a new car:

4. Good gas milage

Considerations:
2018 subaru outback
2018 mazda CX-5
2018 toyota camry
2018 lexus NX or RX
Thank you.
https://youtu.be/ERtK8q2PxGg

snow tires are all you need as others have posted. a number of neat videos available on you tube that show comparisons in snow/ice conditions with 2wd w all season tires versus 2wd w snow tires, also awd w all season tires vs awd w snow tires.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Can you name that dealership? Either the salesperson was a total idiot or he thought you were one. Sorry for being blunt but you shouldn't be taking such crap. Also, why would you buy a Lexus if you wanted a performance/sports car?
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

I tried out the Lexus NX and really liked it (for an SUV), and I'm really picky about cars.
The seats and the seating position were very comfortable (and I'm pretty tall).
And it handled very well, was quiet, and visibility was good.
It felt pretty much like driving a good sedan.
So that's my vote.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

4. Good gas milage

Considerations:
2018 subaru outback
2018 mazda CX-5
2018 toyota camry
2018 lexus NX or RX
Thank you.
All good choices except that you cannot order a Camry in AWD. If you want something sporty, go with the CX-5 (there's a reason it's called "The poor man's BMW") else the Outback.
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
researcher

Post by researcher »

Need suggestions for a new car to purchase with cash.
Considerations:
2018 subaru outback
2018 mazda CX-5
2018 toyota camry
2018 lexus NX or RX
This is an easy choice. Of the vehicles on your list, the Mazda CX-5 is the best overall, by a wide margin.

You should read this...
https://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/ ... why-buy#1
steadyhand

Post by steadyhand »

I love the CX-5 too but am holding back only because I feel it’s lane keep assist LKAS is relative primitive. From what I read, it is not true lane centering or lane trace like Nissan ProPilot or Toyota TSSS 2.0 (peer manufacturers/ brands). Anyone know if the 2019 CX-5 has lane centering or lane trace added?
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Many dealer salespeople are total morons.

I decided to go into a Ford dealer some years ago, driving our 1981 BMW 320i with over 100k miles. The dealer set me up to drive a Ford Mustang with 3 miles on it. I test drove it and returned. He asked how it was. I honestly answered that it felt more worn out than my 100k mile bimmer. The steering was loose, the handling was horrible, the braking sucked. In short, it felt like I'd expect my BMW to feel if I didn't maintain it for another 200k miles.

His response......"Well, BMW makes the best V6 front wheel drive car around".

At the time, BMW did not make a front wheel drive anything nor a V6.

On the AWD question.....state where you live (at least a region). While AWD can help in the downpour of a Florida hurricane or Houston flood, those aren't usually driving factors in a car purchase. If you want to get up my driveway, 26 miles west of Boston after even a 4 inch snowfall, you'd want AWD and snow tires. We've driven down to the road to pick up our kids' friends when their parents could not get up our driveway without both snows and AWD.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
TruthHurts87

Post by TruthHurts87 »

I own a 2016 Lexus NX 200t F-Sport. Ultra white with rioja red interior. All the bells and whistles included. Am in love with it.

As for your requirements:

1. Forward-collision warning. Yes. You can set the distance you feel the car needs before it beeps the warning light.
2. Automatic emergency braking. Yes. As above, if you are unaware, car will apply brakes with force. Also, will increase and decrease speed itself while on cruise control if a vehicle is ahead of you. Park assist too.
3. +/-AWD (all wheel drive). Yes.
4. Good gas mileage. It's good for an F-Sport. I rarely use sport mode. I use standard mode 99% of the time. Eco mode doesn't accelerate as quickly. Only problem I have is the gas tank is too small, so have to fill up more frequently.

My family and I have owned Toyotas all our lives. Currently own 2008 and 2012 Camry's SE V6 along with the NX. It was an easy decision to go with the Lexus.
GerryStilton

Post by GerryStilton »

RickBoglehead wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:43 pm Your dealer is an idiot.
More like the original poster as willfully ignorant in this day and age of web searches. Do some research man, go to edmunds.com or watch some youtube reviews man. Do some homework first before ask for help. Decide if you want on a car or a CUV, then decide if you want a hybrid.
sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 »

You might also consider the Acura RDX I liked it better than the Lexus NX.mi really like the new redesign that just came out. They are very reliable. If you need larger I would go with the Lexus RX over the Acura MDX it is much better.
GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL »

Definitely recommend adaptive cruise control
harrington

Post by harrington »

Agree 100%.....I live in Buffalo NY and snow tires on my front wheel drive car drives way better than my Jeep Wrangler.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Subaru Outerback AWD, Audi A4 AWD, or Acura MDX AWD whichever style you like.