iPhone XS Max

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ssquared87

Re: iPhone XS Max

Post by ssquared87 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:29 am

lazydavid wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:06 am
Leesbro63 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:51 am
How about this one: Isn't the Lexus ES350 just a Toyota Camry with nicer trim?
No.
Yes and it’s not even that much nicer

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:33 am

alfaspider wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:35 am
SimonJester wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:29 am
lazydavid wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:16 am
Leesbro63 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:10 am
lazydavid wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:06 am

No.
Hey, I tried! 8-)
There was a time that it would have been a true statement, but that was just about a decade ago at this point. The past two generations have been a Toyota Avalon with nicer trim. :mrgreen:
But isnt the Avalon just a Camry with nicer trim?
No, the Avalon is a larger vehicle.
They are all on the same TNGA-K platform. The Avalon is just a stretched Camry

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:44 am

alfaspider wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:34 am
As far as status symbols go, they make fairly poor ones. You'd need an eagle eye to tell the difference between an iphone X or Xr and an iphone Xs. Heck, even an old iphone 6 doesn't look much different from a few feet away.
You’d be surprised. I live in LA and sadly people do comment on phones. People tell me I’m a dinosaur or think I’m poor because I have an iPhone 7. I couldn’t care less what anyone thinks, I love the phone and it meets my needs.

But in the last week or two I’ve been in so many conversations with people talking about replacing their iPhone X with whatever Apple releases this week. I made the mistake of asking why a few times and the answers ranged from “I’m helping poor people i donate my old phones” to “it has a few scratches on the back and I want it to be shiny again” and my favorite “it will have new iOS so I don’t have to go through the trouble of upgrading my old one”. Yes, people in LA are that stupid.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:47 am

$1100 for a Boglehead phone? :oops:

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:04 am

alfaspider wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:44 am
"Bokeh" sounds kind of silly, but it's just a name for the background blur effect you see in many professional portraits. The new phone supposedly does a better job of it when you shoot in portrait mode. I've used portrait mode on the X, and it really is impressive how good it can make photos from a hamfisted photographer such as myself. Wasn't too long ago that you needed to pay $1,000 for just a camera that would shoot as well as the iphone.
The iPhone is the only camera I own. I place a very high premium on being able to capture life moments in as high quality as possible. When was the last time you saw someone whip out a digital camera?

Momus

Post by Momus » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:57 am

wabbajack wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:04 am
alfaspider wrote:
"Bokeh" sounds kind of silly, but it's just a name for the background blur effect you see in many professional portraits. The new phone supposedly does a better job of it when you shoot in portrait mode. I've used portrait mode on the X, and it really is impressive how good it can make photos from a hamfisted photographer such as myself. Wasn't too long ago that you needed to pay $1,000 for just a camera that would shoot as well as the iphone.
The iPhone is the only camera I own. I place a very high premium on being able to capture life moments in as high quality as possible. When was the last time you saw someone whip out a digital camera?
Wrong phone if you want better pics. There are at least 7 phones better than iPhone.

Scroll down to see rankings
https://www.dxomark.com/category/mobile-reviews/

Pictures at flagship level looks so similar. It won't even matter at this point unless you are buying P20 pro, then it will blow the rest of the phone to dust.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:01 am

Momus wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:57 am
wabbajack wrote:
alfaspider wrote:
Wrong phone if you want better pics. There are at least 7 phones better than iPhone.

Pictures at flagship level looks so similar. It won't even matter at this point unless you are buying P20 pro, then it will blow the rest of the phone to dust.
The website you cited actually ranked the iPhone X as the top performing camera for still photos when it came out. The ones currently above were released subsequently. The Xs makes improvements over the X, so it's not unlikely Apple will regain the top spot in those rankings.

Momus

Post by Momus » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:04 am

alfaspider wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:01 am
Momus wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:57 am
wabbajack wrote:
alfaspider wrote:

The website you cited actually ranked the iPhone X as the top performing camera for still photos when it came out. The ones currently above were released subsequently. The Xs makes improvements over the X, so it's not unlikely Apple will regain the top spot in those rankings.
Yep, probably 2-3 spots higher, unlikely higher than P20 pro. But, it might blow my mind. Again, unlikely.

cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:05 pm

knpstr wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:58 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:46 pm
They're the most valuable company on the planet for a reason! $1100 for a smart phone is just ludicrous for a lot of people. That's MacBook territory. I'm interested to see if the "cheapo" version (iPhone Xr: $750) sells better. Lots of consumer psychology in how to choose.
I think for quite a few, their phones are becoming their "computers". That's why there are ever larger screen sizes being released.

I should say that the iPhone 8 I bought was effectively $550. It was $748 with tax and $200 rebate.
This would apply to me...I use my phone for everything and don't even have a home computer any more. The only time I need a computer is when at work using my work computer.

I have a 6s that still works but when the time comes I will probably get the X max of whatever year it happens to be...I use my phone for everything and the bigger screen would be nice. Ideally I would like the phones to get so powerful that I could just dock it at work our home when I need to do more involved work related stuff that needs a big screen, keyboard, and mouse. We are probably not that far off from that.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:40 pm

cusetownusa wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:05 pm
This would apply to me...I use my phone for everything and don't even have a home computer any more. The only time I need a computer is when at work using my work computer.

I have a 6s that still works but when the time comes I will probably get the X max of whatever year it happens to be...I use my phone for everything and the bigger screen would be nice. Ideally I would like the phones to get so powerful that I could just dock it at work our home when I need to do more involved work related stuff that needs a big screen, keyboard, and mouse. We are probably not that far off from that.
I don't believe it is a question of phone power. Someone just needs to make the docking station that can hook up a monitor/keyboard/mouse.

The other "problem" is that in order for things to "look/feel like a desktop" the phone OS would have to have a "desktop capable" OS layout. Otherwise you are literally just mirroring a phone screen onto a larger computer or TV screen (which I think you can do now).
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:49 pm

cusetownusa wrote:
knpstr wrote:
Alexa9 wrote:
They're the most valuable company on the planet for a reason! $1100 for a smart phone is just ludicrous for a lot of people. That's MacBook territory. I'm interested to see if the "cheapo" version (iPhone Xr: $750) sells better. Lots of consumer psychology in how to choose.
I think for quite a few, their phones are becoming their "computers". That's why there are ever larger screen sizes being released.

I should say that the iPhone 8 I bought was effectively $550. It was $748 with tax and $200 rebate.

You never have to write a letter or scan a document to send it by email to someone? Lucky you! When I can do that on an iPhone or even an iPad, then I can think about getting rid of my desktop. But wait, where would I store and easily access my 1 TB worth of music files?

I have an iPhone 6, which I use a lot, but never type more than I just did in this post with it.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:03 pm

eddot98 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:49 pm
cusetownusa wrote:
knpstr wrote:
Alexa9 wrote:

You never have to write a letter or scan a document to send it by email to someone? Lucky you! When I can do that on an iPhone or even an iPad, then I can think about getting rid of my desktop. But wait, where would I store and easily access my 1 TB worth of music files?

I have an iPhone 6, which I use a lot, but never type more than I just did in this post with it.
I have never looked into it, but can you scan directly to one's phone? My scanner to my computer isn't directly connected, the power is just plugged in and the scanned image gets wirelessly sent to my computer.

Also, there are many apps where you can snap a picture of a document and it will convert it to a pdf. I have never used them, but they are out there. 1 TB of music (or rather files in general) could also be accessed via external hard drive/storage which is not as ideal, but should work. But holy smokes that is A LOT of music. Some samsung phones have 1TB of storage as they accept SD cards though I imagine those are quite pricey. My laptop is only 125GB hard drive and I only use about half of that!

Otherwise one could get an iCloud subscription of 2TB then you'd have an annoying $9.99/mo charge.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:09 pm

knpstr wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:03 pm
eddot98 wrote:
cusetownusa wrote:
knpstr wrote:
Alexa9 wrote:

I have never looked into it, but can you scan directly to one's phone? My scanner to my computer isn't directly connected, the power is just plugged in and the scanned image gets wirelessly sent to my computer.

Also, there are many apps where you can snap a picture of a document and it will convert it to a pdf. I have never used them, but they are out there. 1 TB of music (or rather files in general) could also be accessed via external hard drive/storage which is not as ideal, but should work. But holy smokes that is A LOT of music. Some samsung phones have 1TB of storage as they accept SD cards though I imagine those are quite pricey. My laptop is only 125GB hard drive and I only use about half of that!

Otherwise one could get an iCloud subscription of 2TB then you'd have an annoying $9.99/mo charge.
I have a scanner app on my phone. You just take a photo of the document at it auto formats it into a PDF. Actually works quite well. Fine for home use where you just need to scan a few pages. It's actually easier than home scanners with similar end results, but if course not as nice as an office grade scanner for larger documents.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:25 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:09 pm
knpstr wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:03 pm
eddot98 wrote:
cusetownusa wrote:
knpstr wrote:

I have a scanner app on my phone. You just take a photo of the document at it auto formats it into a PDF. Actually works quite well. Fine for home use where you just need to scan a few pages. It's actually easier than home scanners with similar end results, but if course not as nice as an office grade scanner for larger documents.
GeniusScan is a great app...There are others that also do the same thing, but I haven't tried the others.

For your music, you can just put that into a cloud storage bucket...tons of options from iCloud, to DropBox to Amazon S3. No need to have physical hard drive space, although buying a hard drive is cheaper than paying for cloud storage. But with cloud storage you have the convenience of not being tied to a physical device, durability in case of hardware failure or theft of the device, and ability to access it from anywhere

I too have lots of music, but only about 300GB. I have it saved on an old laptop, backed up to a physical hard drive in my home, and also backed up nightly automatically to a cloud storage location. Eventually I'll probably just move it 100% to the cloud, but I haven't had time to think about it

cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:09 pm

eddot98 wrote:
cusetownusa wrote:
knpstr wrote:
Alexa9 wrote:

If i need to scan just a few pages I will do it with my phone...otherwise I scan it with my cheap printer i have at home or at work.

Writing quick emails on the phone isn't a big deal but long letters and any type of work documents I do at work currently. Like i said, anything not work related tends to get down on my phone.

Its not a replacement of a computer which is why I wish I could dock it and have it work like my work computer. Would save me from needing to computing devices.

azanon

Post by azanon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:17 pm

So I'm going to get the wifey an Xr - so any comments on memory recommendations? I see the cheapest one is 64mb, but for $49 more I can get 128mb.

Also, what's all this about most people buy with rebates. Really? I thought nowadays, most carriers require you to buy the phone outright (either in cash or equal payments for the full value), and the days of getting a deal if you sign up for 1 or 2 years is pretty much gone. She won't be switching carriers. I'd love to think the Xr is really $449, instead of $749 cause "most everyone uses rebates", but I find that claim dubious. I'd be delighted though if there really is a way to get it for 200-300 less this Oct.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:37 pm

azanon wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:17 pm
So I'm going to get the wifey an Xr - so any comments on memory recommendations? I see the cheapest one is 64mb, but for $49 more I can get 128mb.

Also, what's all this about most people buy with rebates. Really? I thought nowadays, most carriers require you to buy the phone outright (either in cash or equal payments for the full value), and the days of getting a deal if you sign up for 1 or 2 years is pretty much gone. She won't be switching carriers. I'd love to think the Xr is really $449, instead of $749 cause "most everyone uses rebates", but I find that claim dubious. I'd be delighted though if there really is a way to get it for 200-300 less this Oct.
Not gonna happen with the Xr. Like another poster mentioned above, it's going to sell like hotcakes. I'd suggest getting up (or staying up late) to pre-order at 12:01 when it goes on sale. My dad wants one, and I'm going to offer to stay up late for him that night to pre-order for him. (I've also heard rumors that there are production issues with the LCD that may limit initial supply as they get the process built up. I don't know a lot about that stuff, though.) 64GB should be fine, but 128GB will probably last her "forever". Only you can decide if it's worth $49. :beer

The best you could hope for is the BOGO that a lot of carriers (AT&, Verizon) were doing for the 8/8+/X, but that won't happen for several more months, if at all.

azanon

Post by azanon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Texanbybirth wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:37 pm
azanon wrote:

Not gonna happen with the Xr. Like another poster mentioned above, it's going to sell like hotcakes. I'd suggest getting up (or staying up late) to pre-order at 12:01 when it goes on sale. My dad wants one, and I'm going to offer to stay up late for him that night to pre-order for him. (I've also heard rumors that there are production issues with the LCD that may limit initial supply as they get the process built up. I don't know a lot about that stuff, though.) 64GB should be fine, but 128GB will probably last her "forever". Only you can decide if it's worth $49. :beer

The best you could hope for is the BOGO that a lot of carriers (AT&, Verizon) were doing for the 8/8+/X, but that won't happen for several more months, if at all.
Thanks for the advice, so yeah I'll stay up late and offer to do that for her.

Yeah that's a lot of money (all), but that's also a really neat phone too ;)

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:26 pm

azanon wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:40 pm
Texanbybirth wrote:
azanon wrote:

Thanks for the advice, so yeah I'll stay up late and offer to do that for her.

Yeah that's a lot of money (all), but that's also a really neat phone too ;)
Agreed.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:12 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:03 pm
...Also, it used to be that smartphone prices had carrier subsidies attached. The phone would be advertised as "$399", but it was really about $800 with a $400 carrier subsidy that was baked into the service cost.
+1. For a lot of people, they're still "free" -- just the service has gone up. Some carriers promote this mentality by offering a lower total cost when the phone price is amortized over two (?) years. I hate the size of my Verizon bill and I've vowed repeatedly to only pay "up front" for phones -- but each time they make the math favor the deferred payments. So I'm destined to get annoyed every single month instead of every second or third year.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:27 pm

I will never take tech spec for phone purchase. Phone as a system should be evaluated by user experience. iphone as a closed system is expensive, non-expandable (can't add memory). But as a phone system, I like it most than other brand. Too expensive, no problem, I typically extend iPhone purchase span 50% longer. Buy what you need, may be smaller SE, less memory but still offer the same Apple experience.

aquaman

Post by aquaman » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:52 pm

Texanbybirth wrote:
BOGO won't be happening for several more months? As of 9/14, Verizon has already announced BOGO (up to $700) on the Xs (one new line is required). AT&T, which currently has the same offer on the current iphone lineup, is certainly going to match this.

You should be able to do better than that, as taking advantage of the BOGO plus the $100/line giftcard through a number of retailers should be trivial. Even better offers should also become available fairly soon.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:56 pm

azanon wrote:
Xfinity Mobile runs deals all the time. I got $200 visa cash card back on my iPhone 8 (Bought outright for $748 after tax so bringing the effective price down to $548). I have seen $300 back on Samsung phones on their website. The offers come and go. Keep your eyes open. Carriers are in a "race to the bottom".

My wife and I pay about $8.50/month (combined) using their service (which is through Verizon).

Right now they are running deal on $300 back on iPhone or Samsung. But obviously the new iPhones aren't out yet so they best one would be the X at that deal.
Last edited by knpstr on Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:00 pm

aquaman wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:52 pm
Texanbybirth wrote:
BOGO won't be happening for several more months? As of 9/14, Verizon has already announced BOGO (up to $700) on the Xs (one new line is required). AT&T, which currently has the same offer on the current iphone lineup, is certainly going to match this.

You should be able to do better than that, as taking advantage of the BOGO plus the $100/line giftcard through a number of retailers should be trivial. Even better offers should also become available fairly soon.
Awesome! Are those deal only available to “new customers”? Or is there a trick for existing (AT&T) customers?

aquaman

Post by aquaman » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:06 pm

knpstr wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:56 pm
azanon wrote:
Xfinity Mobile runs deals all the time. I got $200 visa cash card back on my iPhone 8 (Bought outright for $748 after tax so bringing the effective price down to $548). I have seen $300 back on Samsung phones on their website. The offers come and go. Keep your eyes open. Carriers are in a "race to the bottom".

My wife and I pay about $8.50/month (combined) using their service (which is through Verizon).
Precisely. Right now, Xfinity Mobile is advertising $300 back when you buy a new iphone or a Samsung phone and port a line to them.

As I mentioned above, people claiming that flagship Android phones universally represent a better financial value just don't know the market. There certainly are plenty of non-financial reasons that people may prefer a flagship Android (or a flagship iphone), but from a financial standpoint, there are just as many deals and situations where a brand new iphone ends up representing a better financial deal than an Android as the other way around.

aquaman

Post by aquaman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:28 am

aquaman wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:52 pm
Texanbybirth wrote:

As predicted, AT&T has expanded the BOGO offer and now covers up to $790, although a new line is still required. You can combine all these offers with retailer offers as well. Even better offers will be available soon.

All the posts in this thread claiming that it's impossible to get a discount on a brand new flagship iphone are living in the past. For the past 4-5 years, there have been deals available on brand new iphones that are actually very similar to the deals that have been available on the flagship Androids. As I mentioned above, I am actually not wedded to any particular ecosystem, as there are pros and cons to both, so I tend to just buy whatever happens to represent the best value in my particular situation. I just wish that people would stop posting incorrect information about the financial side of these purchases, as very few people actually pay list prices for their flagship iphones (or their flagship Androids).

What is true is that if you don't want or need a flagship smartphone, there's a substantial number of lower end Androids on the market that serve the needs of those who just need a "basic" smartphone (those who just need it for basic texting, checking their emails and basic web browsing). For those people, lower end Android phones do tend to be the way to go, but that's a very different market with very different needs and requirements.

P.S.
AT&T just updated its BOGO terms and limited it to $700 for iphones.
Last edited by aquaman on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:47 am

The BOGO offers are garbage for the most part. The cheapest BOGO offer that Verizon offers will cost you approximately $4850 over 24 months for the iPhone Xs 64gb—I just built out a 2 person package.

You can get two Verizon prepaid 7gb plans for $85/mo. 85x24 is $2040 and the two phones cost $1998 so you save around $800 by paying upfront and going prepaid than you do taking the BOGO “deal”.

aquaman

Post by aquaman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:37 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:47 am
The BOGO offers are garbage for the most part. The cheapest BOGO offer that Verizon offers will cost you approximately $4850 over 24 months for the iPhone Xs 64gb—I just built out a 2 person package.

You can get two Verizon prepaid 7gb plans for $85/mo. 85x24 is $2040 and the two phones cost $1998 so you save around $800 by paying upfront and going prepaid than you do taking the BOGO “deal”.
It all depends on your plan and your situation. There are millions of people out there on various types of grandfathered plans that cost the same or less than any of the prepaid or MVNO plans out there. There are also a ton of people out there whose employers pay for their phone plans, but not for their devices. For all those people, BOGO and other types of carrier deals is just icing on the cake.

jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:55 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:48 pm
As many of you remember, I bought an iPhoneX last year to replace my old iPhone7Plus. I have been disappointed in the size of this phone, as compared to the older, more robust ("bigger") PLUS phone. It's hard t read with the X but I had no trouble doing so on my 7Plus.

OK, so I'm willing to suck it up and pay the juice for a new iPhoneXSMAX. How will the size compare to the iPhone 7PLUS? And when can I get it?

Edit: I guess these should be called "Excess Plus" or "Tennis Plus" phones
You do realize that even though the 7 Plus is physically larger than the X (6.23" x 3.07" for the 7 Plus, 5.65" x 2.79" for the X), the display on the X is actually larger (5.8" for the X. 5.5" for the 7 Plus)? This is what you gain by losing the top and bottom bezel.

Now as for the Xs Max, it is almost exactly the same physical size as the 7 Plus, but the screen is 6.5" vs. 5.5" on the 7 Plus.

aquaman

Post by aquaman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:05 am

jrbdmb wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:55 am
You do realize that even though the 7 Plus is physically larger than the X (6.23" x 3.07" for the 7 Plus, 5.65" x 2.79" for the X), the display on the X is actually larger (5.8" for the X. 5.5" for the 7 Plus)? This is what you gain by losing the top and bottom bezel.
It's a very common misconception, but the overall area of the 8+ display is actually slightly larger than that of the X. https://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-i ... ay_id98116 Per these calculations, the iPhone X screen is 2.6% smaller than the one on the iPhone 8 Plus.

I think the size of the 8+ display is identical to that of the 7+, but am not positive.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:03 am

aquaman wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:05 am
jrbdmb wrote:
It's a very common misconception, but the overall area of the 8+ display is actually slightly larger than that of the X. https://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-i ... ay_id98116 Per these calculations, the iPhone X screen is 2.6% smaller than the one on the iPhone 8 Plus.

I think the size of the 8+ display is identical to that of the 7+, but am not positive.
Aquaman is correct on all counts. The 6+, 6S+, 7+, 8+ are all identical in form factor (tiny thickness differences and other changes, but form factor is what we are talking about here). I went from a 6S+ to an X and while I love the smaller form factor, I do miss the wider screen. Video watching is typically letterboxed for me now compared to before - but I accept that as a usability tradeoff.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:25 pm

aquaman wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:05 am
jrbdmb wrote:

The issue is the (lack of robust) width.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:51 pm

Jags4186 wrote:

Not really, last year T-Mobile offered BOGO. I get a pair if IP7 Plus and used them in Europe trip with 25c/min call and unlimited 3G data for maps. if you are senior, get two line for just $50 unlimited LTE data tax included. Call in Mexico and Canada is free. The IP7 plus takes excellent photos (due lens) and big screen is a must have.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:07 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:51 pm
Jags4186 wrote:

Not really, last year T-Mobile offered BOGO. I get a pair if IP7 Plus and used them in Europe trip with 25c/min call and unlimited 3G data for maps. if you are senior, get two line for just $50 unlimited LTE data tax included. Call in Mexico and Canada is free. The IP7 plus takes excellent photos (due lens) and big screen is a must have.
It is $70 for seniors at T-Mobile: https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mobil ... limited-55
Best Wishes, | Joe

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:23 pm

The big difference between the Xs and Xr is the OLED screen. $749 to $999. $150 difference.

If you compare that to the difference between an LCD and OLED TV, it doesn't seem so bad, lol. i

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:26 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:23 pm
The big difference between the Xs and Xr is the OLED screen. $749 to $999. $150 difference.

If you compare that to the difference between an LCD and OLED TV, it doesn't seem so bad, lol. i
$250, and a better camera system, 3D touch (I still really like this feature), slightly better water resistance, and I bet more RAM when these things finally get torn apart by the interwebs.

Not a deal-breaker for a lot of people, but not just the screen either. :beer

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:21 am

wabbajack wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:20 am
Leesbro63 wrote:
As many of you remember, I bought an iPhoneX last year to replace my old iPhone7Plus. I have been disappointed in the size of this phone, as compared to the older, more robust ("bigger") PLUS phone. It's hard t read with the X but I had no trouble doing so on my 7Plus.

OK, so I'm willing to suck it up and pay the juice for a new iPhoneXSMAX. How will the size compare to the iPhone 7PLUS? And when can I get it?

As for all the Apple haters, let me put this in perspective for you. How many hours a day do you use your phone? How many different functions do you utilize? I used to be one of those people who said "I can get an Android phone that does 80% of the iPhone at 50% of the price" or something along those lines. And then I bought an iPhone in 2016 because Google discontinued the Nexus line of phones. Now I can't understand why it took me this long to use the iPhone. Except I do, and that was its price.
From my experience, t's just the opposite. You're paying 50% more for a phone(Iphone) that can do about 80% of an Android.

My wife and nearly all my friends have iphones and I have an ipad. 5 years ago I had wireless charging and the iphone users said "who needs wireless charging?" This has happened with a lot of features that I had with Andoird. NFC, quick charge, bluetooth 5, dual cameras, OLED displays, etc. All of these items were in place years ahead of Apple. Then if you want to use something like ifttt, you're SOL with Apple. The truth is that Apple builds nice looking, reliable phones, and iOS is great for 90% of the public that can't handle the power/openness of Android. They also have great customer service. On average you're paying about a 30% premium and with it you get both the good and the bad.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:02 am

dsmclone wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:21 am
wabbajack wrote:
Leesbro63 wrote:

As for all the Apple haters, let me put this in perspective for you. How many hours a day do you use your phone? How many different functions do you utilize? I used to be one of those people who said "I can get an Android phone that does 80% of the iPhone at 50% of the price" or something along those lines. And then I bought an iPhone in 2016 because Google discontinued the Nexus line of phones. Now I can't understand why it took me this long to use the iPhone. Except I do, and that was its price.
From my experience, t's just the opposite. You're paying 50% more for a phone(Iphone) that can do about 80% of an Android.

My wife and nearly all my friends have iphones and I have an ipad. 5 years ago I had wireless charging and the iphone users said "who needs wireless charging?" This has happened with a lot of features that I had with Andoird. NFC, quick charge, bluetooth 5, dual cameras, OLED displays, etc. All of these items were in place years ahead of Apple. Then if you want to use something like ifttt, you're SOL with Apple. The truth is that Apple builds nice looking, reliable phones, and iOS is great for 90% of the public that can't handle the power/openness of Android. They also have great customer service. On average you're paying about a 30% premium and with it you get both the good and the bad.
In my experience, most Android phones introduce a feature as soon as they can. Apple tends to implement as feature only when they can do it well. For example, Android did face recognition years before Apple. But it was generally regarded as flaky and not all that secure. Apple's face recognition works quite well. There are advantages and disadvantages of both approaches.

For the most part, all really important features in phones have been in place for 5+ years. Since then, they are adding little things that are nice but don't fundamentally change the experience. For example, what does Bluetooth 5 actually give you that 4 doesn't? The technical specs are better for 5, but in terms what what you can actually do with the phone, I doubt many notice.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:33 am

I have a Pixel 2 and I'm coming running back to iPhone. A few of the apps are unusable they're so buggy and I don't use many apps. The music app is horrible (Google assistant won't play my music, music is a different version track than I uploaded to Google Play), touchscreen is inaccurate which makes typing awful (I can type on an iPhone almost as fast as a keyboard), some apps just flat out don't work. I also think Google is far more nefarious than Apple about data collection.
Otherwise I really like the Google integration: maps, drive, docs, assistant is much more capable, Gmail, calendar.

SuperSaver

Post by SuperSaver » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:53 pm

Just purchased 2 iPhone XS from t-mobile this morning... $700 off one phone. Plus $250 in gift cards. Plus $50 activation fees waived.

Including taxes, this comes out to under $600/each per phone.

Unlimited data for 2 lines: $125 (including taxes)

Unlimited data for 4 lines: $140 (plus another $125 gift card)

At some point, newer is better. Can't wait to ditch my iPhone 5s and buggy 6 to the trash in of history

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:17 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:02 am
dsmclone wrote:
wabbajack wrote:
Leesbro63 wrote:

In my experience, most Android phones introduce a feature as soon as they can. Apple tends to implement as feature only when they can do it well. For example, Android did face recognition years before Apple. But it was generally regarded as flaky and not all that secure. Apple's face recognition works quite well. There are advantages and disadvantages of both approaches.

For the most part, all really important features in phones have been in place for 5+ years. Since then, they are adding little things that are nice but don't fundamentally change the experience. For example, what does Bluetooth 5 actually give you that 4 doesn't? The technical specs are better for 5, but in terms what what you can actually do with the phone, I doubt many notice.
"In my experience, most Android phones introduce a feature as soon as they can. Apple tends to implement as feature only when they can do it well."

You mean like Siri and Apple maps? :happy On a serious note, I agree. They are usually a few years behind but they do it correctly.

I have an ipad (my 3rd) and I appreciate the positives but some things just drive me nuts like not working well with lastpass compared to my Android phone, having to use the stock keyboard without a swype like feature, and the terrible notification management. I can get past these things because 50% of the time I'm just using it for Candy Crush or Flipboard.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:24 pm

dsmclone wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:17 pm
alfaspider wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:02 am
dsmclone wrote:
wabbajack wrote:
Leesbro63 wrote:

"In my experience, most Android phones introduce a feature as soon as they can. Apple tends to implement as feature only when they can do it well."

You mean like Siri and Apple maps? :happy On a serious note, I agree. They are usually a few years behind but they do it correctly.

I have an ipad (my 3rd) and I appreciate the positives but some things just drive me nuts like not working well with lastpass compared to my Android phone, having to use the stock keyboard without a swype like feature, and the terrible notification management. I can get past these things because 50% of the time I'm just using it for Candy Crush or Flipboard.
Yeah, Apple Maps was a notable exception. Every so often, even Apple rolls something out that's not ready for prime time.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:32 pm

dsmclone wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:17 pm
You can get Google assistant and Google Maps on the iPhone. We are also getting Google Maps for CarPlay in the next iOS update. There was an article a while back that argued one of the better Android phones is an iPhone. I would agree.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:02 pm

SuperSaver wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:53 pm
Just purchased 2 iPhone XS from t-mobile this morning... $700 off one phone. Plus $250 in gift cards. Plus $50 activation fees waived.

Including taxes, this comes out to under $600/each per phone.

Unlimited data for 2 lines: $125 (including taxes)

Unlimited data for 4 lines: $140 (plus another $125 gift card)

At some point, newer is better. Can't wait to ditch my iPhone 5s and buggy 6 to the trash in of history
Did you have to port over to T-Mobile from another carrier?

SpaethCo

Post by SpaethCo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:07 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:28 am
Meanwhile, my iPhone 4S running on ios 7.1 (pre-battery-throttling) is humming along just fine for the $0 I paid for it (my old company gave it to me when I left because it was 4 years old at that time).
30 known remote exploit CVEs against that iOS version with a score > 9.0. Yikes! I don't think you can pay me enough to enter any kind of password into that device, since it's vulnerable the instant it attaches to any network.

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabilit ... 92636dacb0

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:30 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:57 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
It's an interesting phenomenon that smart phones continue to increase in price. Nearly every technology, as it matures, gets cheaper.

PCs, VCRs, TVs, etc. Over time, they went from outrageously expensive to affordable. Smart phones are moving in the opposite direction. When our iPhone 7s are past useful life I don't know what we'll do this time around.
They don't. You can buy very decent smartphones in $2-400 range.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:58 pm

UPDATE BY THE ORIGINAL POSTER (me): I got the MAX phone today and like it a lot. Much better than the X. That being said, it's not THAT much better than my old iPhone7Plus. If you are into it like me and have the bux to play with, then go for it. But if you have a 7 plus or 8 plus, you won't miss too much by saving the dollars.

I went for the full hype! Got to the store upon opening. Watched the team cheer as they got ready to launch the product.
(reminded me of going with my dad, as a kid in the 1960s, to look at the new cars, in September, when they took the brown paper off the showroom window to unveil the latest Ford or GM models). Played along with the salesperson who acted interested in me and my needs blah blah blah. Bought the overpriced AppleCare, case, and upgraded memory. Traded in my old phone for the wholesale value. Probably the only area of my life that I don't squeeze the maximum value out of something and just give into the marketing hype.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:44 pm

We just upgraded our iPhone to a 7 and it works well. The other phone will be upgraded to an 8 in time. We have always stayed a cycle or two behind and the cost difference is material over time.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:45 pm

As a follow up, when I compared the 6s, 7, and 8, I was surprised that the processor and camera improved by a small amount with each option. Other than that there were really no differences.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:47 pm

I ordered an XS to replace my 3.5 year old 6 last weekend. I happened to walk my the local Apple store at its 8:00 AM opening today and there were maybe 30 people waiting so I easily could have gotten in to buy out of inventory rather than getting it delivered in a few weeks.