High employer contribution, still max 403b before taxable?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
DanEmmy

High employer contribution, still max 403b before taxable?

Post by DanEmmy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi all,

Thanks again for all the wisdom this forum provides.

My wife and I file jointly and have in the past couple years broken into new salary territory in which we can't contribute directly to Roth IRAs and are working on strategy. Our emergency savings are in good shape, about a year's worth.

She's currently maxing out her 401k ($18,500 plus 4.5% employer match) and we have a plan to start using backdoor Roth IRAs for her. So i think she's good.

I currently cannot do a backdoor Roth IRA conversion because i have money in an IRA and i can't find a way to move it anywhere. So for now at least, i will focus on my 403b and possibly start a taxable account.

My employer provides a pretty amazing 12% contribution to my 403b. This isn't a match, just an outright contribution. Since i started working here two years ago, i've been contributing 3% of my own money, and recently bumped it to 5% of my own money. The reason being that i felt that was "enough" and i should focus/save elsewhere. I could contribute around 15% before i hit the $18500 limit.

Question: Since i can't contribute to a Roth, i thought i'd open a taxable account and start funding that. The question is, should i max out my contribution to my 403b before i start worrying about the taxable account? There is of course the tax advantage to doing so.. is this a no brainer? Or should i get a taxable savings routine started to diversify things a bit?

Thanks!
Last edited by DanEmmy on Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samsoes

Re: High employer contribution, still max 403b before taxable?

Post by samsoes » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:09 pm

DanEmmy wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:59 pm
Is this a no brainer? Or should i get a taxable savings routine started to diversify things a bit?
Thanks!
Yes. It's a no-brainer. As long as there are decent BH style investment choices, max it out regardless of the employer contribution.

You'll be happy you did. :moneybag :mrgreen:
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

UpsetRaptor

Post by UpsetRaptor » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:34 pm

Unless you need the liquidity of a taxable account for something in particular you're saving for (e.g. house down payment), yes it's a no-brainer, max out tax-advantaged space first before taxable.

Are you 100% sure you can't roll your tIRA into your 403b, to make room for backdoor Roth? Usually one can.

DanEmmy

Post by DanEmmy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:44 pm

UpsetRaptor wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:34 pm
Unless you need the liquidity of a taxable account for something in particular you're saving for (e.g. house down payment), yes it's a no-brainer, max out tax-advantaged space first before taxable.

Are you 100% sure you can't roll your tIRA into your 403b, to make room for backdoor Roth? Usually one can.
I called TIAA-CREF who has the 403b and they said that I couldn't roll my old Fidelity IRA into it. I didn't push the issue much... ?

UpsetRaptor

Post by UpsetRaptor » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:50 pm

DanEmmy wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:44 pm
UpsetRaptor wrote:

I called TIAA-CREF who has the 403b and they said that I couldn't roll my old Fidelity IRA into it. I didn't push the issue much... ?
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/rollover_chart.pdf

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:55 pm

UpsetRaptor wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:50 pm
DanEmmy wrote:
UpsetRaptor wrote:

The IRS allows it, but the plan doesn't. The plan doesn't have to allow it.

UpsetRaptor

Post by UpsetRaptor » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:59 pm

Rupert wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:55 pm
UpsetRaptor wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:50 pm
DanEmmy wrote:
UpsetRaptor wrote:

The IRS allows it, but the plan doesn't. The plan doesn't have to allow it.
Ah, gotcha. Not sure why a plan wouldn't allow an inbound rollover (just more assets, right?). But hey, sounds like it is what it is.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:26 pm

If you are still interesting in doing a Backdoor Roth for yourself, you can look into opening a Solo 401k that allows incoming rollovers. You just need to generate some side income if you don't already have any (e.g. selling a few things on eBay or Amazon Seller Account).
Personally, I would max out any tax-advantaged accounts first, then fund Roth IRAs, and then IF more savings space is needed, put it in taxable.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:00 pm

As long as there is a decent fund offered in your 403b it's better to fully fund your 403b as a priority ahead of taxable investing.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

DanEmmy

Post by DanEmmy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:43 pm

Thanks all. I'll focus on ratcheting up my 403b contribution and hold off on taxable for now.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:21 am

DanEmmy wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:59 pm
Hi all,

Thanks again for all the wisdom this forum provides.

My wife and I file jointly and have in the past couple years broken into new salary territory in which we can't contribute directly to Roth IRAs and are working on strategy. Our emergency savings are in good shape, about a year's worth.

She's currently maxing out her 401k ($18,500 plus 4.5% employer match) and we have a plan to start using backdoor Roth IRAs for her. So i think she's good.

I currently cannot do a backdoor Roth IRA conversion because i have money in an IRA and i can't find a way to move it anywhere. So for now at least, i will focus on my 403b and possibly start a taxable account.

My employer provides a pretty amazing 12% contribution to my 403b. This isn't a match, just an outright contribution. Since i started working here two years ago, i've been contributing 3% of my own money, and recently bumped it to 5% of my own money. The reason being that i felt that was "enough" and i should focus/save elsewhere. I could contribute around 15% before i hit the $18500 limit.

Question: Since i can't contribute to a Roth, i thought i'd open a taxable account and start funding that. The question is, should i max out my contribution to my 403b before i start worrying about the taxable account? There is of course the tax advantage to doing so.. is this a no brainer? Or should i get a taxable savings routine started to diversify things a bit?

Thanks!
If you max out your 403b this year (still have 4 months to do this), and your wife is maxing out her 401k as pre-tax salary deductions for a total of $37K - will your MAGI be below $189K?
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

dkb140

Post by dkb140 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:20 pm

Couple thoughts...
1. I'd definitely max out your $18,500 pre-tax 403b contributions before ramping up taxable, unless you had a large need for cash coming up soon.
2. To open up future backdoor roth contributions could you do a Roth Conversion of your current tIRA?
3. If it's not practical or you are looking for additional roth savings, if your wife's 401k allows after-tax contributions and in-service non-hardship distributions of those after-tax contributions, you could look at a Mega Backdoor Roth conversion on her side.

DanEmmy

Post by DanEmmy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:00 am

CyclingDuo wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:21 am
If you max out your 403b this year (still have 4 months to do this), and your wife is maxing out her 401k as pre-tax salary deductions for a total of $37K - will your MAGI be below $189K?
Unfortunately (but not ungratefully), nope.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:10 am

DanEmmy wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:00 am
CyclingDuo wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:21 am
Unfortunately (but not ungratefully), nope.
That's what I figured based on your post, but thought it was worth asking. Next question, is there also a 457b available to max out? We max out two 403b's and one 457b to keep MAGI low, but we are in the over 50 crowd so can do $24.5K in each of those three which should give us the flexibility to fully fund Roth IRA's (maxing all 403b/457b is our way of also dealing with RMD's from two inherited IRA's, and dividends from taxable account to get MAGI down to utilize the Roths).

We'd also vote for maxing out your 403b before moving on to taxable investments.

DanEmmy

Post by DanEmmy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:13 am

dkb140 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:20 pm
Couple thoughts...
1. I'd definitely max out your $18,500 pre-tax 403b contributions before ramping up taxable, unless you had a large need for cash coming up soon.
2. To open up future backdoor roth contributions could you do a Roth Conversion of your current tIRA?
3. If it's not practical or you are looking for additional roth savings, if your wife's 401k allows after-tax contributions and in-service non-hardship distributions of those after-tax contributions, you could look at a Mega Backdoor Roth conversion on her side.
1. Part of what started this is that we've recently started accumulating a decent bit of cash. My wife previously ran her own company and frankly didn't generate that much income. A couple years ago she left it and got a great job in industry and is making a lot more bumping us out of Roth IRA range and opening up a lot of new complexities. We have the income stream to support maxing out our 401k/403bs (she already is), but still me going from 3% to 15% contribution is a thousand bucks a month. We're saving much more than that per month so its doable but it still somehow seems harder than just throwing some of our savings cash into a Roth IRA or taxable account. Since i won't be contributing to my Roth IRA anymore, i was thinking maybe i should put the $5500/yr into taxable just to "keep up". But i see that that logic isn't very sound if i'm not already maxing out the 403b.

2. Maybe.. i'm afraid of the tax hit, but our earning potential is still on the rise and brackets will only get worse i guess. So if i wouldn't be saving it all the way until a low-income retirement timeframe, maybe now is the time? Maybe over a few years?

3. Her 401k does allow Roth contributions, not sure about the distributions. I'll do some research on the Mega Backdoor Roth conversion.

Thanks again.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:24 am

DanEmmy wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:13 am
dkb140 wrote:
Couple thoughts...
1. Part of what started this is that we've recently started accumulating a decent bit of cash. My wife previously ran her own company and frankly didn't generate that much income. A couple years ago she left it and got a great job in industry and is making a lot more bumping us out of Roth IRA range and opening up a lot of new complexities. We have the income stream to support maxing out our 401k/403bs (she already is), but still me going from 3% to 15% contribution is a thousand bucks a month. We're saving much more than that per month so its doable but it still somehow seems harder than just throwing some of our savings cash into a Roth IRA or taxable account. Since i won't be contributing to my Roth IRA anymore, i was thinking maybe i should put the $5500/yr into taxable just to "keep up". But i see that that logic isn't very sound if i'm not already maxing out the 403b.

2. Maybe.. i'm afraid of the tax hit, but our earning potential is still on the rise and brackets will only get worse i guess. So if i wouldn't be saving it all the way until a low-income retirement timeframe, maybe now is the time? Maybe over a few years?

3. Her 401k does allow Roth contributions, not sure about the distributions. I'll do some research on the Mega Backdoor Roth conversion.

Thanks again.
A couple of other options worth considering with your jump in income. The first, for high income earners, would be creating your own defined benefit plan through Charles Schwab. In effect, this is creating a pension plan and is utilized by high income households. You can see who it is designed for, what the fees are, and what the benefits are here:

https://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/in ... nefit_plan

And an article from earlier this year at Marketwatch on the defined benefit plan at Schwab:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres ... 2018-01-10

The other option beyond what has been mentioned, would be a personal retirement annuity at Fidelity or Vanguard where you can invest in low cost index funds (The Three Fund Portfolio) and have the investments be tax deferred until 59 1/2, with no required RMD's at age 70. It's funded with after tax dollars, but grows tax deferred. Like the Schwab defined benefit plan, there are expenses involved beyond the underlying mutual fund fees. Both Fidelity and Vanguard tack on about .10% to .25% depending on account balance.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:34 am

DanEmmy wrote:
UpsetRaptor wrote:

You may be able to do a rollover into a GSRA rather than a GRA. That's what I did...
Attempted new signature...

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:43 am

DanEmmy wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:43 pm
Thanks all. I'll focus on ratcheting up my 403b contribution and hold off on taxable for now.
I also had high employer contribution to my 403(b) for forty years, along with mandatory 5% contribution from me, plus elective contribution of around $23k which I maxed out my final half dozen working years.
All this tax deferred money allows me now to have slightly higher AGI, taxable income, and Federal taxes in retirement than when working, so that's fun...

DanEmmy

Post by DanEmmy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:04 am

The Wizard wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:43 am
DanEmmy wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:43 pm
I also had high employer contribution to my 403(b) for forty years, along with mandatory 5% contribution from me, plus elective contribution of around $23k which I maxed out my final half dozen working years.
All this tax deferred money allows me now to have slightly higher AGI, taxable income, and Federal taxes in retirement than when working, so that's fun...
That's an interesting point... sort of a good problem to have i suppose, but illustrates why some pre/post tax balance makes sense. That's why i felt like i wanted to get my post-tax contributions up. But still, taking advantage of all of the pre-tax space and lowering AGI is better as you've all reminded me.

DanEmmy

Post by DanEmmy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:09 am

CyclingDuo wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:24 am
A couple of other options worth considering with your jump in income. The first, for high income earners, would be creating your own defined benefit plan through Charles Schwab. In effect, this is creating a pension plan and is utilized by high income households. You can see who it is designed for, what the fees are, and what the benefits are here:

And an article from earlier this year at Marketwatch on the defined benefit plan at Schwab:

The other option beyond what has been mentioned, would be a personal retirement annuity at Fidelity or Vanguard where you can invest in low cost index funds (The Three Fund Portfolio) and have the investments be tax deferred until 59 1/2, with no required RMD's at age 70. It's funded with after tax dollars, but grows tax deferred. Like the Schwab defined benefit plan, there are expenses involved beyond the underlying mutual fund fees. Both Fidelity and Vanguard tack on about .10% to .25% depending on account balance.
Thanks, but we're not doctors or lawyers! We also live in a HCOL area, Boston metro. I think it'll take a year to get all of our basics in order. I'm obsessed with learning and creating this plan. I can't wait to get it organized and post it for Boglehead review. :)

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:28 am

You could start converting your IRA to Roth and pay the tax. Might be worthwhile if you convert before retirement.

dkb140

Post by dkb140 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:08 pm

DanEmmy wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:13 am
dkb140 wrote:
Couple thoughts...

Thanks again.
1. If you have extra cash in savings, I would definitely max out your 403b. That would reduce your taxable income and might free up more room for #2 below.
2. If you can afford the tax bump, I'd consider a partial conversion up to the next bracket this year and the same next year until you convert it all. If your current tIRA is relatively small I think it would be worth the tax hit to open back up your Roth backdoor. My crystal ball isn't 100% but I feel like the current tax rates are likely the lowest I'll ever see so I'm all about loading up my Roth before 2025.
2b. In the meantime I would still make your $5500 tIRA contribution this year so you don't leave that behind.
3. The Mega Backdoor might be a great way to get even more into your Roth accounts & take advantage of the current low tax rates.

DanEmmy

Post by DanEmmy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:28 pm

How do i calculate the tax hit on converting the IRA? None of the calculators i've seen online seem to ask for state tax info which i think would be relevant? Im assuming its just federal + state taxes at the effective tax rates? The IRA is $85k so i'm assuming it'll be a good $25k in taxes...

Good point on the $5500 tIRA even though it wouldn't be deductable. Sounds like i'd prioritize things as:

1. max out 403b, $18500
2. max out tIRA, non deductable, $5500
3. taxable, however much.

There are only 7 more paychecks this year so i don't think i'll be able to fill out the 403b, but i'll do what i can and plan properly for next year. The 12% from my employer into the 403b makes that feel better, but i'm still missing out on the tax advantages.

I can also do the $5500 nondeductable IRA contribution. It kind of feels like that digs me deeper into the hole of having more tIRA to convert to ROTH IRA at some point... but i guess saving is always better than not saving. Also, what are the implications of mixing post-tax money and pre-tax money in the IRA? Is it possible to potentially convert the pretax money to a 401k someday while leaving the post-tax for a ROTH conversion?

Thanks

boglebobble

Post by boglebobble » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:15 pm

mervinj7 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:26 pm
If you are still interesting in doing a Backdoor Roth for yourself, you can look into opening a Solo 401k that allows incoming rollovers. You just need to generate some side income if you don't already have any (e.g. selling a few things on eBay or Amazon Seller Account).
Personally, I would max out any tax-advantaged accounts first, then fund Roth IRAs, and then IF more savings space is needed, put it in taxable.
Do you know of any good post or guide on how to do the process of making your own solo 401k? Also, once you have your solo 401k open, what kind of paperwork and yearly maintenance is needed? This would be for a scenario where you want to keep using it for investing the assets held / potentially rolling things over into it, but not using it for making direct contributions.

boglebobble

Post by boglebobble » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:17 pm

dkb140 wrote:

Is there any way to have a personal defined benefit plan if you are not self-employed or small business owner, but work as part of a partnership or are employed?

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:31 pm

boglebobble wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:15 pm
mervinj7 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:26 pm
Do you know of any good post or guide on how to do the process of making your own solo 401k? Also, once you have your solo 401k open, what kind of paperwork and yearly maintenance is needed? This would be for a scenario where you want to keep using it for investing the assets held / potentially rolling things over into it, but not using it for making direct contributions.
https://financialpanther.com/fidelity-solo-401k/
Very little paperwork is needed until assets exceed $250k.

DanEmmy

Post by DanEmmy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:32 pm

I think you'll get better answers to your questions if you start your own thread on those subjects. :beer

dkb140

Post by dkb140 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:34 pm

DanEmmy wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:28 pm
How do i calculate the tax hit on converting the IRA? ... Im assuming its just federal + state taxes at the effective tax rates?
Yes, your marginal tax rate. so if you're filing jointly in the 24% bracket, 24% of $85k is $20,400. 32% would be $27,200.
DanEmmy wrote:
1. max out 403b, $18500
2. max out tIRA, non deductable, $5500
3. taxable, however much.
I'd:
1. Max out your 403b
2a. If maxing out your pre-tax contributions brings you under $189k, I'd make your $5500 roth contribution.
2b. If you can't make a roth contribution, I'd make a $5500 tIRA contribution
3. Use cash to pay the taxes on a Roth conversion
4. Taxable investments
DanEmmy wrote:
There are only 7 more paychecks this year so i don't think i'll be able to fill out the 403b, but i'll do what i can and plan properly for next year.
How much does your employer allow you to contribute? Mine allows up to 50%. Whatever yours allows I'd crank it up for those last 7 checks.
DanEmmy wrote:
I can also do the $5500 nondeductable IRA contribution. It kind of feels like that digs me deeper into the hole of having more tIRA to convert to ROTH IRA at some point... but i guess saving is always better than not saving. Also, what are the implications of mixing post-tax money and pre-tax money in the IRA? Is it possible to potentially convert the pretax money to a 401k someday while leaving the post-tax for a ROTH conversion?
Whether you leave it in a pre-tax tIRA or pay to convert it to a Roth, it's still better to have more tax-advantaged funds IMO if you have the extra cash. If your income has gone up and you expect to have more income next year than this year, it may be worth it to bite the bullet and pay to convert as much as you can to Roth this year, at least enough to fill up your tax bracket.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertberg ... 1250e4292a

billfromct

Post by billfromct » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:02 pm

Investing in a non-deductible IRA or a variable annuity is the best way to convert long term capital gains (15% Federal income tax for most people) into ordinary income (24% tax bracket for most couples).

I had opened up a Vanguard variable annuity for my wife in the early 1990s when she was a "stay at home mom" & there weren't as many retirement savings alternatives as today. I also opened a variable annuity for my kids in the mid 1990s with money ($5,000) from my mom (their grandmother). She wanted the money invested in something that encouraged them to remember her in 50 or 60 years. I remind them of this every year when we review their balance sheet.

I would not invest in a variable annuity now for the average adult who could save for retirement (assuming all other retirement investments were maxed out) in a more tax efficient long term capital gains manner with a mutual fund such as the Total Stock Market Index fund.

bill

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:56 pm

billfromct wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:02 pm
Investing in a non-deductible IRA or a variable annuity is the best way to convert long term capital gains (15% Federal income tax for most people) into ordinary income (24% tax bracket for most couples)...
This is true to some degree.
A non deductible IRA should be quickly converted to Roth in most cases.

And while income from tax deferred accounts is taxed as ordinary income, it fills up lower brackets first. So while I'm in the 24% marginal Federal bracket in retirement, my average rate (tax/AGI) is around 17%...

DanEmmy

Post by DanEmmy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:08 pm

I spoke with HR today and if i submit an updated contribution form on Monday, by the time it kicks in there will be only 5 paychecks left this year. That means i'd have to contribute 78% of my income to get the full $18500. :twisted: I can contribute up to 99%.

If i did that, we'd pull in some of our cash savings to help cover it so essentially i'd be transferring cash savings into my 401k. Which i suppose is the idea. We can live off only my wife's paycheck just fine it's really not THAT risky i guess. Seems aggressive though.

Are they any other implications to contributing such a high percentage? How do i know i'll have enough salary left over to pay the social security and medicare? I'm on my wife's health insurance plan so that is not deducted.