Any cello players here?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
investingdad

Any cello players here?

Post by investingdad » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:03 pm

Wondering if anyone here plays or played the cello?

I was kicking around picking up an "Amazon Special" for a few hundred dollars just to mess around.

I'm intrigued by the instrument mostly because I started playing the violin about two years ago (well documented on here in a different thread :happy ). I've no intention of switching instruments, but I was thinking it may be fun to get a cheap one just to fool around.

One thing giving me pause is that sawing on a cello could mess up my quite immature violin skills, setting me back after a lot of hard work to date.

Thoughts or comments?

alfaspider

Re: Any cello players here?

Post by alfaspider » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:57 pm

I play the cello. Played pretty consistently through high school and college. I got to the point of being able to play most of the big concertos and other major repertoire pieces, albeit much more poorly than a professional would. This thread reminds me I should play more often.

No experience with "Amazon Special" cellos specifically, but I will say really cheap instruments can kill the joy of playing. You really have to work hard to get any sort of decent sound out of them. In my experience, around $2,000 was the floor for something that doesn't feel like you are fighting it. From there, $4-6k instrument feel like a big improvement, but playing my instructor's $25k+ instrument wasn't a revelation in comparison to my $5k instrument (though it was a nice improvement). May be worth renting a better instrument instead if you'd like to dabble.

Since you already play the violin, Cello shouldn't be too terribly difficult. Even though I have no formal violin training, I can pick it up and make something resembling a decent sound, especially if I put it in my lap and play it like a cello. Don't try and hold a cello like a violin though :mrgreen:

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:58 pm

Janos Starker.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:59 pm

Try looking for a used one. I doubt the Amazon cello would be any fun.

sport

Post by sport » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:16 pm

When my kids played in the band and orchestra, I found this company to be a good source for all things musical. It was recommended to me by DD music teacher.
https://www.wwbw.com/Cellos.wwbw?typeAheadRedirect=true

nimo956

Post by nimo956 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Look into renting a better quality cello instead.
50% VTI / 50% VXUS

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:38 pm

I asked my friend who is a pretty good cello player and she agreed that the Amazon special is likely to be terrible. Her advice was to try to talk to a music teacher at a local high school with a decent music program and see what they recommend in terms of local sources for decent used instruments or rentals. You'd be much better off with a used decent cello than a new CSO (cello shaped object) made very cheaply.