Color copier recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fittan

Color copier recommendations?

Post by fittan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:57 am

Hi fellow BH,
The big 12 year old Sharp copier at my office just died. I am thinking of a replacement but don't want to spend a fortune. It is a small office with only 20 employees. Just need it for color printing and occasional color copying. Do you have a recommendation?

I know there are "cheap" HP Officejet under $200 that can do the above but they are ink jet and are quite slow. In a nutshell, I don't want to spend $20K on a full scale copier, but also don't want a low end ink jet. Something in the middle ground, say under $2K that will work for a small office. Thanks in advance!

lazydavid

Re: Color copier recommendations?

Post by lazydavid » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:23 am

We've replaced everything with HP Laserjet Flow MFPs:

https://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/printers ... #!&tab=vao

For 20 users, I'd probably recommend the M577z, or its equivalent in the new E series (we don't have any of those). We actually don't buy ours, but do their Managed Print Services. It's similar to a copier lease, in that you pay a base rate plus a per-page costs, which includes the device, supplies, maintenance and support. The printers actually order their own supplies, so when for example toner gets down to 15%, a new one just shows up at your office. Has been a huge savings for us in both time and money.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:08 am

I too have done the Managed Print services when in small offices and it works very well. If you didn't need to print in color, their are probably cheaper options but if you need color, this is the way I would go.

fittan

Post by fittan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:05 am

Thanks fellow BH for pointing in right direction.

Lazydavid, the M577z you suggested cost about $3K. I searched for other HP MFP and found this M570dn one which cost about $750. Do you know what is the major difference in specs?

One obvious difference is the speed (e.g. 40 ppm vs 31 ppm) and also the small LCD display. But beyond that I don't see why the M577z would cost much more. Please advise on what I am overlooking. Thanks.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-laser ... mfp-m570dn

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:30 am

The main differences is that the M577 is a more robust unit with more Business/Enterprise type features. The key one for us is support for smart print (authenticating users based on badge to allow them to access their print jobs), but others include a higher monthly print volume (7500 pages vs. 4000), stapler, and the larger screen plus physical keyboard for things like typing in email addresses for scanning or phone numbers for faxing. It also has substantially larger color cartridges available (9500 pages vs. 6000), which saves on operating costs IF you're paying for toner. My all-in cost for the M577 is about $110/month, for 4200 pages/mo (about 1/8 color). That is for the hardware, toner, maintenance, and onsite support, with the device replaced every three years with a new one.

But every situation is different, and if those things hold limited value for your business, the M570dn might be a great choice.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:33 am

We have been delighted with Brother laser products.

We have a Brother MFC-L8850CDW purchased about 5 years ago, and it has worked perfectly. Color printing, coping and scanning. Also fax, if you still use that.

Purchase was about $500, and a full set of high capacity toner cartridges is also about $500.

Ralph

fittan

Post by fittan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:52 am

I was looking at Brother too. Thanks for all your replies. It is very helpful.

krafty81

Post by krafty81 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:55 pm

I read in Consumer Reports that Brother uses less ink overall because it does not do "maintenance" printing that wastes ink. I have been happy over all but cannot get it to work with my Acer Chromebook.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:36 pm

krafty81 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:55 pm
I read in Consumer Reports that Brother uses less ink overall because it does not do "maintenance" printing that wastes ink. I have been happy over all but cannot get it to work with my Acer Chromebook.
Note that the referenced copiers do not use any "ink" at all, they are all laser copiers/printers which use dry toner. Also laser printers do not do maintenance printing, only inkjets do that.

Ralph

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:37 pm

We just bought a lower level OfficeJet Pro HP 8750. It does NOT staple and only has 1 tray. It does simplex of duplex and collates. It also makes copies and faxes. It is sold at Costco—$109 on coupon now ($169 reg). Refill ink is also carried at Costco for that printer. I’ve been told that for high volume toner of a laser is cheaper. Our printer is for our small nonprofit and serves our needs as the backup printer. It may be not as robust as you’re looking for but we have been so impressed with it we just bought one for a friend, with extra ink.

We also have a Xerox 8570 solid ink printer. Sadly they no longer make it but we’ve liked it a lot. It has two trays and can also do single or double-sided but no stapling, no copying and no faxing; dedicated printer only. If you buy only official supplies from recommended vendor, lifetime on-site support (invaluable).

prudent

Post by prudent » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:39 am

HIinvestor wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:37 pm
We also have a Xerox 8570 solid ink printer. Sadly they no longer make it but we’ve liked it a lot. It has two trays and can also do single or double-sided but no stapling, no copying and no faxing; dedicated printer only. If you buy only official supplies from recommended vendor, lifetime on-site support (invaluable).
I do some work with a non-profit that also had one of those solid-ink "crayon" Xerox copiers. They replaced it a couple months ago because when a part was needed the time to get the part was getting longer and longer. No problem getting consumables, but when a part was needed their downtimes were going from 2 days to 3 to 4 to 5. For that outfit the printer was mission-critical so they had to bite the bullet.