Any reasons to not put money down for a Tesla Model 3?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FoolStreet

Re: Any reasons to not put money down for a Tesla Model 3?

Post by FoolStreet » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:09 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:50 am
I was at a local Nation Drive Electric Week event yesterday to demo our Nissan LEAF and talk with fellow EV owners and other folks interested in EVs.

There were a few Model 3 owners and a few with orders scheduled to be fulfilled in the next few months. One owner had brought his vehicle for people to look at. Overall the Model 3 owners seemed very happy with their purchasing decision.

There are hundreds of local Drive Electric events this week; might be of interest to some here.

https://driveelectricweek.org
FoolStreet wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:13 am
But I really need my wife to testdrive it first. I have considered renting one from Turo for her for the day, but it seems complicated. What to do...

FoolStreet - perhaps there is a local event for you/your wife to attend. Some owners offered test drives.
Very cool. We are in SF Bay Area. They are literally everywhere. We keep stalling because our 18 year old BMW is “good enough” but it is now at the point where it’s not making sense to repair it. $600 for a window regulator. KBB says it is worth $3k. Check engine light is on and I can’t stomach paying $3k to fix it. Maybe. We are enjoying paid off cars, but that road will end very soon.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:14 pm

Not enough white space provided to list the reasons.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Buy something like a Prius if you want to be 'green' and save money. Best bang for the buck IMO. (Also the ugliest and most boring car on the planet, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder...)

matjen

Post by matjen » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:06 am

I would urge anyone considering buying a Tesla in the near future read this. Then read it again. No matter how well the car may drive or how cool it may be, there is more to it than just plunking down 50k-60K for a car. That car needs to be delivered, that car needs to be serviced, that car needs to be repaired, that car needs to eventually be traded-in. The build quality and logistics are amazingly poor.

As Tesla struggles to exit 'production hell,' buyers complain of delivery limbo
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/l ... story.html
He’s not alone. Complaints about Tesla taking people’s money while they wait weeks for the cars, often with no firm delivery dates, are all over Twitter, Facebook and the Tesla Motors Club user forum. Owners who try to contact delivery representatives say voicemail boxes are full, and calling around to different Tesla numbers yields conflicting information.

Tesla’s service issues go beyond delivery glitches. Many of those who have cars complain that repairs can take weeks or months, and email and phone inquiries often don’t get returned.
and
“I do believe in the company and its mission, but the execution is very poor,” the employee said.

Like many Tesla employees, he had pinned his hopes on Jon McNeill, the highly regarded head of global sales and service who many considered a potential successor to Musk. McNeill left Tesla in February to become chief operating officer at Lyft. In June, Karim Bousta, head of worldwide service at Tesla, also quit.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

harikaried

Post by harikaried » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:11 pm

On the flip side, some people have reported placing an order for a Model 3 and scrambling to get money and insurance ready for delivery within 24 hours. So there are problems on both extremes, and generally delivery times can be unpredictable right now. For our own experience, we placed an order for AWD in June (a month before production started), and less than 2 months later, we were notified that the vehicle was ready for delivery, and less than 2 weeks after that, we were enjoying our Model 3.

Tesla has been improving car service with its Mobile Service fleet that goes out to the vehicle instead of requiring a visit to a Service Center, and many things they can remotely diagnose ahead of time and potentially even fix without a trip. And if there does need to be body work, Tesla did recently open up its first 8 Body Repair Centers, and people have been reporting same-day turnaround for fixes. So clearly, Tesla knows and is actively addressing what it needs to increase or improve as significantly more Model 3s are being produced.

As from the article, there have been problems along the way, but to extrapolate out by assuming the worst might not be the best way to make a decision, so just be aware that things are in flux leading to a wide range of experiences. Uncertainty is a reasonable concern and people can decide if that's worth it and/or if they're flexible enough to allow for it.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:23 pm

harikaried wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:11 pm
As from the article, there have been problems along the way, but to extrapolate out by assuming the worst might not be the best way to make a decision, so just be aware that things are in flux leading to a wide range of experiences. Uncertainty is a reasonable concern and people can decide if that's worth it and/or if they're flexible enough to allow for it.
Yup. And I would add that I am honestly surprised at folks who prepay for their cars. There are some states where it has to be done (like Texas), but generally, it is an option, not a requirement. I handed a check from my lender, they dropped it in a FedEx envelope along with my paperwork, and I left with my car. Not as fancy as walking in with nothing and leaving with the car, but overall a pain-free experience.

roflwaffle

Post by roflwaffle » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:06 pm

I think everything's kind of hectic on the delivery side now that Tesla really wants to show a profit and we're nearing the end of the quarter. With that said, problems with vehicle quality and delivery appear to be the exception to the rule. I took delivery in May, which was really painless compared to buying a car from a dealer, and the car itself is as good as anything else I've purchased new in terms of quality. If someone's selling or trading in their current car, I would definitely wait until after they accept delivery of their 3. :beer

matjen

Post by matjen » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:01 pm

harikaried wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:11 pm
I'm extrapolating on the Model X being worse than the Model S and the Model 3 being worse than the Model X in terms of quality. I'm extrapolating based on Tesla's horrendous financial position. Now they have less cash, more cars, and an obviously horrid operations infrastructure. They are already mightily expensive to insure. What exactly is going to change that? In prior threads people have purely speculated that VW or the Saudi's were gonna puke up a ton of dumb money. They have ruled that out. What is your extrapolation based on?

I would say getting your car earlier than expected is in no way the same thing as paying for a car and not having it delivered. Your story just shows a lack of demand or the fact they had to build in batches to come close to hitting any type of target Musk set forth. Now they have to cut colors for the same reason. If your spec matched a prior build bingo. If it didn't and you had a 1k reservation for years, sorry SOL.

Meanwhile you get things like this. I mean how does this even get close to a consumer?

Staggering amount of issues found at/after delivery. Considering returning the car.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... ar.128682/
1. Hairline crack of the front glass roof (sorry no pic for this one; they are going to replace the roof)
2. Crooked front hood leaving a 1/2" gap
3. Grossly misaligned charge port door and rear headlight, even to the point of showing a gap behind the seal (they said it's "within spec" ????)
4. Scratches all over the hood and body.
5. Smudges and fingerprints under the clear coat. Too many to count.
6. Clear signs of prior over buffing/paint oxidation
7. Something's loose in the left door panels and was making noises when driving.

sc9182

Post by sc9182 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:22 pm

Sounds like that dude got all bad problems in one car. Did he/she not check any of those prior to delivery/handing-over-the-check time? If he/she slept during delivery time, sorry about that.

Taken deliveries of many a Lexuses, MBs, Porsches, and including Model3. Its all good! Seems to be that the shorts are trying to put a nail, but they are the ones getting nailed., hard!

Its a great car, whether or not its worth X number of dollars, let the markets & time decide that.
Last edited by sc9182 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Klaxton

Post by Klaxton » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:56 pm

Quick answers:
1. The car will only be as good as the company building it. (keep an eye on the company)
2. Tesla is a new car company and not fully experienced in the manufacture or marketing of cars.
3. In the early history of car manufacturing there were literally hundreds of car manufacturers. Once the major car companies catch up in the new technology, the Tesla brand will disappear.

FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:50 pm

Klaxton wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:56 pm
Quick answers:
1. The car will only be as good as the company building it. (keep an eye on the company)
2. Tesla is a new car company and not fully experienced in the manufacture or marketing of cars.
3. In the early history of car manufacturing there were literally hundreds of car manufacturers. Once the major car companies catch up in the new technology, the Tesla brand will disappear.
Ha ha. Seriously, though. Noone would be making electric cars if it weren't for Tesla. Tesla has the most experience building electric cars and are the true leaders. The old car makers don't want to make electric cars and there is no saying that they will ever be able to catch up because they lost their leadership. They are more likely to disappear.

fyi - these thread comments are getting into non-actionable territory. Let's keep it personal and actionable.

I personally want a Tesla Model 3. I can't justify replacing my Prius based on cost savings. I'm used to driving cars into the ground. I have enough money. I might buy one and justify it as a fun toy and voting with my dollars that I think we should invest in renewable energy. I figure I will have to come to Jesus and buy one within the next month or so if I want the Federal Credit. Otherwise, maybe I buy a cheap i3 for $14k or so and use that for a few years until our other car croaks. Still deciding. But I love what Tesla is doing. I'm really proud of the people who are committed to changing the auto industry.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:55 am

FoolStreet wrote:But I love what Tesla is doing. I'm really proud of the people who are committed to changing the auto industry.
I have around 5 years experience with Tesla, and 50-plus years with other automotive firms. For the most part, there is a qualitative difference in the people who work there. Not every Tesla employee is an environmentalist, and not every Range Rover employee is a climate change denier. But, on average, Tesla employees are more “my tribe.”

In my effort to lower my carbon footprint, I have met many people whose work with EVs, solar, geothermal, heat pumps, etc is commendable. This forum tends to employ very sharp pencils when it comes to pennies and dollars, but there is psychic value for me in reducing my carbon footprint.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

matjen

Post by matjen » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:37 am

For those who think that Tesla opening up a handful of in-house repair shops is a magical fix to an ongoing problem this article will open your eyes to the real issue. It's not that body shops can't fix Tesla bodies, it's that Tesla is so underfunded and unorganized that they don't have parts available and the parts are shoddily made so they require repeat shipments. This is hand waving by Musk per usual. Reminiscent of the Norway episode several weeks back where he tried to lay blame for Tesla's shoddy service on the Government. They immediately shot back that Tesla had not even applied for the alleged remedy Musk was prattling on about.

Elon Musk wants Tesla to do collision repairs in-house, blames outside shops for long wait times
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/17/elon-mu ... tesla.html
At the same time, Musk admitted that providing spare parts has not been a priority for Tesla.
The best part is Musk was forced to admit the parts issue when a ton of Tesla owners chimed in that their cars were sitting at shops waiting for parts. Please let me know when repairs (not buffing out a scratch or popping a tiny dent) are completed within ONE HOUR. LOL.

Examples:
Replying to
@elonmusk
My car is waiting for a simple bumper cover. Eta for parts delivery is 2-3 MONTHS to European Collision Repair in Atlanta GA. How can you be making these statements when parts are still up to 3 months out? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Replying to
@elonmusk
When we got rear ended in our Model S in March, the certified Tesla body shop was only a mile from the Tesla SC in Rocklin, CA, but the part (rear bumper) took 4 months to get from Tesla. Sure hope the Tesla shops will truly have the parts in stock.
Replying to
@elonmusk
Slow shipping of parts is especially the case in Australia. We did 3 repairs and each one of them took 2-3 months. Once the parts were in they finished the car in just a week.