Should I get a new iPhone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

Should I get a new iPhone?

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:59 pm

I'm currently on an iPhone 6 Plus which works fine for how much I use it (light use). But am considering upgrading.

Plusses for upgrading:
- Better camera, especially the shallow depth of field features. Do the phones with the additional telephoto lens have better bokeh?
- Faster, my current phone can be sluggish at times (not a huge deal but may become more of an issue)
- Smaller physical size, yet bigger screen (I think I would want the XR or XS and probably not the max)
- more memory (although 16gb is enough because I store my photos on the cloud and don't have a ton of apps)

Minuses for upgrading:
- I have the cash to burn, yet I'm somewhat anti-consumerism and don't like to buy stuff just to have stuff.
- I don't have to worry about my current phone, especially when my young kids use it. If I had an ~$1,000 phone, I'd be more cautious
- I don't like being on my phone that much and still prefer texting, emailing, surfing the web on my MacBook Pro

Think it's worth it and if so, which phone?
Last edited by ThankYouJack on Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baldrekr

Re: Should I get a new iPhone?

Post by Baldrekr » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:10 pm

Regarding speed, iOS 12 has a lot of performance improvements designed to breathe new life into older devices, so you could wait to see if that helps.

You can also now go into iOS settings and look at the status of your battery. It will tell you what its maximum capacity is compared to the original, as well as whether its peak performance capability is being throttled. For example, my 3 year old 6s says "This iPhone has experienced an unexpected shutdown because the battery was unable to deliver the necessary peak power." You can get a replacement battery from Apple for I think $29 until the end of the year.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:18 pm

Baldrekr wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:10 pm
Regarding speed, iOS 12 has a lot of performance improvements designed to breathe new life into older devices, so you could wait to see if that helps.

You can also now go into iOS settings and look at the status of your battery. It will tell you what its maximum capacity is compared to the original, as well as whether its peak performance capability is being throttled. For example, my 3 year old 6s says "This iPhone has experienced an unexpected shutdown because the battery was unable to deliver the necessary peak power." You can get a replacement battery from Apple for I think $29 until the end of the year.
Thanks. Good to know about iOS 12.

Maximum battery capacity is at 91% and it says "Your battery is currently supporting normal peak performance" so I think I'm good in terms of battery.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:20 pm

Camera gets me every time.
My mobile has become my primary camera for obvious reasons. Phones have destroyed the portable camera market...for good reason.
I would not hesitate in your shoes given the difference in camera speed/image quality coming from a 6+. You will find the dual camera to be fantastic.
I have an 8s+ and the incremental improvement does not compel me to upgrade.

bligh

Post by bligh » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:22 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:59 pm
I'm currently on an iPhone 6 Plus which works fine for how much I use it (light use). But am considering upgrading.

Plusses for upgrading:
- Better camera, especially the shallow depth of field features. Do the phones with the additional telephoto lens have better bokeh?
- Faster, my current phone can be sluggish at times (not a huge deal but may become more of an issue)
- Smaller physical size, yet bigger screen (I think I would want the XR or XS and probably not the max)
- more memory (although 16gb is enough because I store my photos on the cloud and don't have a ton of apps)

Minuses for upgrading:
- I have the cash to burn, yet I'm somewhat anti-consumerism and don't like to buy stuff just to have stuff.
- I don't have to worry about my current phone, especially when my young kids use it. If I had an ~$1,000 phone, I'd be more cautious
- I don't like being on my phone that much and still prefer texting, emailing, surfing the web on my MacBook Pro

Those minuses line up nicely with my own. I am on a 7+. I use it naked (ie. no case or protector), I dont baby it or anything, it still works flawlessly and has no scratches or scuff marks or anything. I just dont see the need to upgrade just because something new has been announced. I will upgrade either when the current phone dies, or there is something compelling enough out there that makes me not like my existing phone.

My vote.. if you are going to get something, get the XR .. if you can wait one more year, wait one more year and you know you'll get something even better/nicer/faster etc.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:26 pm

Doesn't sound like you need one to me. Wait another year for new. In the meantime the $30 battery replacement is a no brainer but doesn't sound like you even need that.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:48 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:

Plusses for upgrading:
- Better camera, especially the shallow depth of field features. Do the phones with the additional telephoto lens have better bokeh? I don't care for camera
- Faster, my current phone can be sluggish at times (not a huge deal but may become more of an issue) I don't care. I have plenty of patience. My wife is mad at my phone whenever she wanted to do something on my phone.
- Smaller physical size, yet bigger screen (I think I would want the XR or XS and probably not the max) I don't care for size
- more memory (although 16gb is enough because I store my photos on the cloud and don't have a ton of apps) I don't care for memory

Minuses for upgrading:
- I have the cash to burn, yet I'm somewhat anti-consumerism and don't like to buy stuff just to have stuff. I don't care what other people think. My money, my call.
- I don't have to worry about my current phone, especially when my young kids use it. If I had an ~$1,000 phone, I'd be more cautious I don't care. Things break.
- I don't like being on my phone that much and still prefer texting, emailing, surfing the web on my MacBook Pro your preference

Think it's worth it and if so, which phone? I don't care for the new iPhone, so it's obviously not worth it. I have the 6 Plus too.
But if $1k is small change to you, then just go ahead. It won't matter.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:16 am

I also have an iphone 6s. I am not a heavy user. I use phone, texting, camera and web to some extent. I do have a few apps that come in handy. My battery still performs well. But overall, I do not use all of the features I have. So I have no need for an upgrade. It sounds like you are in a similar position. Why spend money when it does not add to your experience and need.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:26 am

H-Town wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:48 pm
But if $1k is small change to you, then just go ahead. It won't matter.
+1
Stop agonizing over decisions like this just because you are "anti-consumerism" or something. If you are a heavy user and need your phone every day for important things, $1k is chump change.
I have the iPhone X, and don't plan to upgrade this year. But when Apple launches their new stuff in 2019, I will likely buy it and not worry about the price.

researcher

Post by researcher » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:52 am

You answered your own question in your very first sentence...
ThankYouJack wrote:
Then you go on to debunk half the supposed "plusses" for upgrading...
- Better camera, especially the shallow depth of field features.
If what you have works perfectly fine, and the phone only gets light use, then why mindlessly upgrade just because Apple unveils a new shiny object.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:56 am

I think maybe wait till the next round of releases and reevaluate then.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

Oreamnos

Post by Oreamnos » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:03 am

If the camera thing is fairly important to you, and if your phone is the primary camera in your life, and if you've got the cash to burn, then definitely do it. My wife has a 6s, and she always grabs my 7 Plus whenever she wants to take a pic, because the quality is so vastly better. The dual cameras and portrait mode (source of your desired bokeh) make a massive difference. And that's just the 7 version. The 8 and X and now XS will be even better.

Toss in all of the display and performance improvements, and it's an easy decision.

b42

Post by b42 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:05 am

I upgraded from an iPhone 5 last year when the iPhone X came out.

Totally worth it, it's a much better and faster phone. The 5 was bordering on unusable for what I needed it to do.

You've skipped enough generations where the new phones should be much better than what you have now.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:10 pm

Thanks all. I think I'll wait for now but go to Apple store when they arrive and try the three out hands out. I'll compare sizes and especially the camera features.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:13 pm

You should get a new iPhone and a new iWatch4, Not only so, you should also buy 10 shares of AAPL for each Apple device you bought. Apple is getting involved in health monitoring business.
Last edited by WhiteMaxima on Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:16 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:10 pm
Thanks all. I think I'll wait for now but go to Apple store when they arrive and try the three out hands out. I'll compare sizes and especially the camera features.
If you go leave your wallet in your car, otherwise you might walk out with one. Not that I know or anything. :beer

(Or text your wife every minute like I did, kinda like talking someone off of a bridge.)

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:20 pm

Texanbybirth wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:16 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:10 pm
If you go leave your wallet in your car, otherwise you might walk out with one. Not that I know or anything. :beer

(Or text your wife every minute like I did, kinda like talking someone off of a bridge.)
Haha! I'm getting better about not wanting new phones/gadgets but the new ones do seem quite nice !

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:23 pm

A 6 Plus to an Xs will feel like going from a 2005 Camry to a 2019 Camry. :wink:

Life is short. I like to stay within 2 versions back. 6 is well outside that. Time for an upgrade.

Enjoy the new phone. I have a regular 8, so the upgrade to an X or Xs will be a hard sell for myself. :(
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:42 pm

Wait till Thanksgiving. Last year T-mobile offered buy one get one free deal on iPhone. Assuming you are seniors, you get two line unlimited data $50 tax included.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:40 pm

Have a 6s and I'm a fairly heavy user. Mine works flawlessly for what I do..apps open right up, don't understand how a few milliseconds faster would make any meaningful difference to me. I will upgrade when my phone dies.
Last edited by theplayer11 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Get the phone
Enjoy It
You can afford it.

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

revert

Post by revert » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:58 pm

The 6 plus is possibly the worst performing phone of all currently supported models (it's close between that and the 5s). It has an old CPU, a terribly slow disk drive, and the same memory as the smaller 6 (but since it has a larger screen it uses far more memory, so has significantly more app crashes/system kills).

4 years old - I think it's quite reasonable to upgrade if you can afford to and would like to. Even an iPhone 7 or 8 will feel insanely fast in comparison. :happy

SuperSaver

Post by SuperSaver » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:36 am

I have a iPhone 5s, and plan to upgrade to the $999 iPhone XS this week.

T-mobile is offering $700 back on Buy one/Get one (sorta) today. Plus a free line. Plus $150 off/line with corporate discount. I've waited 4 years for a new phone. Breaking the bank and getting the top-of-the-line XS will average out to $100/year.

Plus, given that the XR is expected to sell like hotcakes, no guarantee carriers will have incentive to discount it.

Carpe Diem

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:51 am

Is your interest in upgrading based on dissatisfaction with the current phone or that you hear of upgrades from others who encourage buying a new one? The former leads toward purchase, the latter toward continuing to evaluate or wait until a good deal appears.

Tim

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:01 am

If you want to save a good amount, you can probably find a deal on the X still left in stock. I just picked up a brand new 8+ for $400 from Xfinity.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:22 am

Nowizard wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:51 am
Is your interest in upgrading based on dissatisfaction with the current phone or that you hear of upgrades from others who encourage buying a new one? The former leads toward purchase, the latter toward continuing to evaluate or wait until a good deal appears.

Tim
I'm still satisfied with my current phone. Was just wondering if upgrading would be a big improvement (especially w/ photos).
Alexa9 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:01 am
If you want to save a good amount, you can probably find a deal on the X still left in stock. I just picked up a brand new 8+ for $400 from Xfinity.
That's a great deal. I'll keep an eye out. I just saw this deal but not sure I want to switch to Sprint - https://slickdeals.net/f/12041563-64gb- ... hBarV2Algo

Was just looking and it seems like T-Mobile and Sprint charge around $60 per month for service. I pay $30 with Cricket. And I only need one phone so the BOGO deals aren't an option.

folkher0

Post by folkher0 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:42 am

Baldrekr wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:10 pm

I have 6s that I'm trying to squeeze another year out of.

I have become wary of iOS upgrades. New features are nice, but it seems that I consistently lose battery life and speed with every new generation of software. My Ipad mini became unusable. And they don't let you downgrade to the previous OS, making the "upgrade" irreversible. TBH its one of the most dissatisfying aspects of apple devices: mandatory software updates that wreck the user experience on older devices.

I'm already hanging on by my fingernails in regards to battery life (yes, I have recently upgraded my battery at the Apple Store). I for one will not be upgrading to iOS 12 until I read some geeky blogs about it first.

mancich

Post by mancich » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:15 am

theplayer11 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:40 pm
Have a 6s and I'm a fairly heavy user. Mine works flawlessly for what I do..apps open right up, don't understand how a few milliseconds faster would make any meaningful difference to me. I will upgrade when my phone dies.
+1 I also have the 6s with an Otterbox and a screen protector. I've never had a problem with it, and it will be 3 years old in December. When it dies, I'll get another one, but candidly it is the perfect size for one-handed viewing as I walk through the airport during business travel, and it seems plenty fast enough to me. That said, for the OP, if it is really something they want and money is no issue, they should get it. Life is indeed short. :sharebeer

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:48 am

Yes the camera on the new phone will be significantly better than yours. How much do you care about the camera?

I’ve got an iPhone 7 and while I am certain the Xs is better in many areas, I don’t care about those improvements enough to warrant an upgrade. I just don’t take many photos and don’t care much about Animoji’s

If you’re using the camera all the time then it could be worth it for you.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:24 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:48 am
Yes the camera on the new phone will be significantly better than yours. How much do you care about the camera?

I’ve got an iPhone 7 and while I am certain the Xs is better in many areas, I don’t care about those improvements enough to warrant an upgrade. I just don’t take many photos and don’t care much about Animoji’s

If you’re using the camera all the time then it could be worth it for you.
It's important but these shots seem close enough - https://www.digitaltrends.com/photograp ... st-camera/. It would be cool to adjust the bokeh (which I believe requires 2 lenses or the Xr). Is being able to adjust the depth of field and other features worth $1,000 to me. Possibly, I want to try one hands on for a bit

Leif

Post by Leif » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:34 pm

I also have a 6 Plus. I'm waiting for 5G to buy a new phone. My battery is at 84%. I will be replacing my battery for $29 so it will last me a few more years.

Leif

Post by Leif » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:42 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:42 pm
Assuming you are seniors, you get two line unlimited data $50 tax included.
I just signed up for that 55+ plan. It cost me $70 for two lines. How can I get it for $50?

cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:04 pm

I have a 6S- almost the same as yours.
It does what I need it to, and it lets me use headphones- something you can’t easily do with the new phones.

iOS 12 will supposedly make this even faster.

I would recommend getting a new battery for $29 (if you haven’t already) and keeping what you have.
I don’t see the new ones as a huge improvement

phantom cosmonaut

Post by phantom cosmonaut » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:21 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Wait until the iPhone XR comes out. Then buy a used iPhone 8 Plus off eBay or Swappa. I bet they get under $550 with everyone trying to upgrade all at once.

My basic strategy is to upgrade every year, but buy used and stay one or two generations behind.
Last edited by phantom cosmonaut on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:26 pm

folkher0 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:42 am

I'm already hanging on by my fingernails in regards to battery life (yes, I have recently upgraded my battery at the Apple Store). I for one will not be upgrading to iOS 12 until I read some geeky blogs about it first.
I've been running iOS 12 for several weeks on my iPhone 6S (I'm a beta tester). Runs very smoothly with no slowdown compared to iOS 11. I have one third party app that has a few bugs, but those will likely be fixed with an update once iOS 12 is officially released.

Regarding the camera: it is my opinion that in one very important way, the cameras have actually gotten worse starting with the iPhone 6.

If you take a photo taken with an iPhone 5S and blow it up to full size, people's faces look nice and normal.

Take a photo taken with an iPhone X (or pretty much any model from the 6 going forward) and blow it up to full size, and people's faces frequently look blotchy with weird colors. Most people do not notice this because they only time they ever look at pictures is on the small phone screen, but it's apparent if you make medium sized prints or look at the photos on a large screen.

This issue is easily fixed by shooting RAW with a 3rd party app like Lightroom, but then you lose many of the benefits of the more recent iPhone camera features like optical image stabilization, panoramas, and portrait mode. Apple could also easily fix this problem with a software tweak so that there isn't so much JPEG compression in the photos to keep the file sizes small, but they have no interest in doing that since most normal people don't care.

folkher0

Post by folkher0 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:45 pm

climber2020 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:26 pm
folkher0 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:42 am
I've been running iOS 12 for several weeks on my iPhone 6S (I'm a beta tester). Runs very smoothly with no slowdown compared to iOS 11. I have one third party app that has a few bugs, but those will likely be fixed with an update once iOS 12 is officially released.
You give me hope.

pondering

Post by pondering » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:41 pm

I got an 8+ on black friday last year. I have 16,849 items on my camera roll. I'm happy at the moment.

My wife and mother in law got iphone 8's on a by one get one free deal that seems to run periodically.

We pay $217 a month for the 3 phones, all financed, for 2 years. Then I have a few options for service and I can buy new phones of the camera warrants it.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

phantom cosmonaut

Post by phantom cosmonaut » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:09 pm

pondering wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:41 pm
We pay $217 a month for the 3 phones...
$5208 every two years for phones? You could buy a pretty decent car for that. :shock:

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:41 pm

I have a 4 year old iPhone 6 that is on its last legs. I'm likely moving to the iPhone 8 in a few weeks. I had considered the XS as I like new tech, but just can't justify the $400 premium over the 8. Plus I have small kids that I don't want near a $1k phone.

pondering

Post by pondering » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:56 pm

phantom cosmonaut wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:09 pm
pondering wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:41 pm
We pay $217 a month for the 3 phones...
$5208 every two years for phones? You could buy a pretty decent car for that. :shock:
For the next 24 months I will pay:

4727.28 total
3258.72 service
1468.56 balance remaining on 3 phones
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

rolandtorres

Post by rolandtorres » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:48 pm

It seems that you do not need a new iphone but it's a nice to have. As a light user, the only major thing the new iphone gives you that your current iphone doesn't is noticeably better pictures. Sure, Apple packs a lot of less obvious improvements that you'll notice like the nicer screen, faster processor, maybe the FaceID unlock, that famously make it better than the sum of its parts. The question is, how much are better pictures and those small improvements worth to you? Because starting at $750, these are pricier than what you paid for your iphone6 yrs ago.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:18 pm

I just installed iOS 12 and it does seem faster. Fast enough for me. I would like a phone with two camera lenses but I think I'll hang onto this for another year or two as there aren't enough compelling reasons to upgrade at this point.

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:30 pm

I'm on the fence. Mainly I want to see if the new larger phone will be more readable, since I have terrible presbyopia. I can't even read the solitaire cards on my Apple watch (#FirstWorldProblems).

I do love the photography and if I buy it will be because of the better cameras.

KeepItSimple78

Post by KeepItSimple78 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:31 pm

I don't think it's worth it. Wait for the next gen and buy the X, XS, or XR at a discount.

I recently upgraded from an iPhone 5 to a refurbished iPhone 7 direct from Apple (comes with new battery, new shell, 1 year warranty) for $379. I love the phone. I couldn't fathom spending $1000+ for the newest product release when so many of their previously released products are readily available (both new and used) and still function at a high level.
Avid reader of personal finance/investing literature; however, no formal training in this area. My comments are always well-intended, and most often well-informed.