Storm Window Noise Reduction

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Call_Me_Op

Storm Window Noise Reduction

Post by Call_Me_Op » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:27 pm

Currently, I have double-hung Vinyl windows. I am trying to get a small increase in sound attenuation from my bedroom windows. (Those appear to be the weak points in the bedroom.) Does anyone have an idea of how much attenuation (in dB) I can expect by adding a standard (aluminum frame, triple-track, tempered glass) storm window on the outside of each of my two bedroom windows? I am thinking the standard type of storm window available from Home Depot for 80 bucks.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

jucor

Re: Storm Window Noise Reduction

Post by jucor » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:05 pm

You will likely do better to install sound blocking or noise reduction window shades on the inside of the window. Installing standard storms on vinyl window casings might prove problematic, and I don't think they'll provide much in the way of sound attenuation.

talzara

Post by talzara » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:20 pm

Call_Me_Op wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:27 pm
Currently, I have double-hung Vinyl windows. I am trying to get a small increase in sound attenuation from my bedroom windows. (Those appear to be the weak points in the bedroom.) Does anyone have an idea of how much attenuation (in dB) I can expect by adding a standard (aluminum frame, triple-track, tempered glass) storm window on the outside of each of my two bedroom windows? I am thinking the standard type of storm window available from Home Depot for 80 bucks.
Here is an old NASA study from 1983 on sound attenuation from storm windows: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi ... 025411.pdf

The graph on page 41 shows the attenuation at different frequencies. It's about 5-10 dB.

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:52 am

jucor wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:05 pm
You will likely do better to install sound blocking or noise reduction window shades on the inside of the window. Installing standard storms on vinyl window casings might prove problematic, and I don't think they'll provide much in the way of sound attenuation.
Do they only install on the casings of the existing window, or can they install on the house structure?
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein