Tax Efficient Growth ETF's

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
jmassie18

Tax Efficient Growth ETF's

Post by jmassie18 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:26 pm

My new employer does not offer a 401(k). So after maxing out my ROTH IRA I need to invest in a non qualified brokerage account. I am looking for ETF's that offer good growth but low yields to avoid taxes. Any suggestions?

livesoft

Re: Tax Efficient Growth ETF's

Post by livesoft » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:39 pm

Be careful for what you wish for. :)

I recommend sticking with a Total US Stock Market Index fund and a Total International Stock Market Index fund. Tickers might be VTI, VXUS, VEU, VEA, VV, IXUS, and similar ones. All stock funds and ETFs are not un-growth funds.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:41 pm

I would not select my equity asset allocation based on the tax cost of dividend yields. However, I would, and do, avoid VXUS in favor of IXUS for international stocks in taxable brokerage accounts.

My recommendation: VTI, ITOT, IXUS.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:50 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Growth doesn't mean what some people think it means. It doesn't mean "grow faster." It means a preference for relatively expensive stocks. You really don't want to overweight growth stocks because while they have done well lately, they tend to perform worse than value stocks over a very long time frame like your lifetime. This can easily crush any tax benefit you may get by holding them.

Depending on your tax bracket, deductible contributions may be a better deal than a Roth. If you're eligible, also open an HSA and max it each year but just let it grow.

Equity index ETFs are remarkably tax efficient. There is a spreadsheet where you can compare a few popular funds from a holding cost perspective. Triceratop made it.

indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:10 am

jmassie18 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:26 pm
My new employer does not offer a 401(k). So after maxing out my ROTH IRA I need to invest in a non qualified brokerage account. I am looking for ETF's that offer good growth but low yields to avoid taxes. Any suggestions?
You could buy "growth" funds with low dividends in the taxable account, balanced by "value" funds (with higher dividends) in the Roth IRA.

Look for growth index funds like VUG, SCHG, SPYG and IUSG.
My signature has been deleted.