Vanguard is requiring cell phone security codes - problem for international travel (UPDATE)

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
RedDog

Re: Vanguard is requiring cell phone security codes - problem for international travel

Post by RedDog » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:26 pm

If you're a Verizon customer, you can download a program to receive text on your PC or an APP for your Ipad/Iphone.

It's worked flawlessly for me on several multi-month overseas trips to include receiving 2FA for my bank.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support ... se-203105/
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... 4bDEpUcEWY

freedom66

Re: Vanguard is requiring cell phone security codes - problem for international travel

Post by freedom66 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:34 pm

I called Vanguard about this mandatory security code and its affect on the many OCONUS traveling clients. They said that they are getting many calls about it. They also brought on a web tech and I was able to opt out.

donfairplay

Post by donfairplay » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:41 pm

If you want to save $30 or $35 on the yubikey, sign up for a $10 Wired.com (print + digital, or digital only its the same price) and get a "free" Yubikey. The only problem is that the subscription is set to auto renew, so turn that off when you get your yubikey.

Or sign up through slickdeals for a $5 subscription 1-year subscription with the yubikey too.
https://slickdeals.net/f/11620619-yubik ... e-shipping

https://subscribe.wired.com/subscribe/wired/116304

I think the deal is still live, but beware that a similar deal for a $5 subscription got marked as dead, so I'm not 100% sure that its still a valid deal. The working wired link still says Memorial Day... :D

Also, it is highly suggested to acquire TWO yubikeys, one synced as a backup and stored somewhere.

StealthRabbit

Post by StealthRabbit » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:13 am

wrote:

Vanguard never recognizes my computer when I log in
After the log in they instantly and automatically call my home line and that works fine for me
I conduct all my financial stuff on my desk top
I have probably accessed my Vanguard account 3x from Home, in the last 10 yrs. Some of us aren't home much. One reason... No Cell Access!

Main reason I'm not home (it is usually raining...) :annoyed

While traveling... I seldom have my laptop, sometimes an Ipad, sometimes a cellphone, often an internet cafe. (bad plan for security), but sometimes that is the only place with connectivity. I don't much care for cities, & I definitely don't stay in hotels :twisted:

Fidelity works OK for my other accts, so they will get my Vanguard accts (since I can't access Vanguard)

$1m here, $1m there... no great loss for them.. but a real pain with my DAR and designated gifting. But... it has to go elsewhere also.

alan

Post by alan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:38 am

I called today VG and was able to opt out by talking to an IT technician. She said she was getting 50 or so such requests a day.
Alan
ALAN

traveler901

Post by traveler901 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:16 am

I live overseas and do not have a US phone number (I am an American citizen)

When logging into my Vanguard account it wouldn't let me proceed without registering a phone number. I called Vanguard and they removed the two-step verification for my account within minutes. It was very simple. Just can't add a new bank account to your account without the two-step verification.

Lion Rock

Post by Lion Rock » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:39 am

GoldStar wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:36 am

"Google Voice" will run as an app on your smart phone. For texts, it will use your data connectivity so there is no need to forward to your international number. You just open the "google voice" app and will see the text message therein. (Presumably you would also leave alerts turned on for the app so you would be alerted to the text message within Google Voice and it will show up on your screen).
Its free - download it, pick a US number, and give it a try before your next international trip.
It might work a bit different for you than it does for me - works slightly differently on Apple versus Android and might also integrate with certain message-apps.
I've used Google Voice to receive US texts while overseas. When setting up the app on your phone, go into "Settings" and enable "Forward messages to email" to make sure you get the text by email too. I've found that the Google Hangouts app works better than the Google Voice app for texts to my Google Voice number.

I have not tried receiving texts from Vanguard to my Google Voice number. There's a quirk for some types of texts so YMMV. Hope it works.

jclear

Post by jclear » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:11 am

HueyLD wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:39 am
Terms and Conditions

• You understand that use of the Service may involve the transmission of information to you that may be considered personal financial information. You consent to the transmission of such personal financial information by electronic means. You assume all risk for directing Vanguard to send text messages or automated calls to mobile or other phones or other access devices that may not utilize personalized security codes or encryption. You understand that you are solely responsible for minimizing security risks, for example, by keeping your phone or other access device under your physical control.
In other words, if something messes up, you are solely responsible.
This service is provided “AS IS”. Sheesh.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:53 am

Switching brokerages probably won't help- at least for long. They will all be requiring 2FA sooner or later. It somewhat surprises me how many people are concerned about the inconvenience vs. having their accounts wiped out by a hacker. Maybe Vanguard should let you opt out of 2FA if you accept the risk of having all your life's savings stolen.

Investing.Newbie

Post by Investing.Newbie » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:19 am

3-20Characters wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:28 pm
I’m just not seeing the drama here.

— It’s good practice (essential, even) to implement 2FA on all important logins. I assume if you have money at vanguard, it’s an important login, right?

— While hacking your cell phone number and getting ownership transferred to intercept 2FA texts is possible, it requires social engineering and it’s not easy to do on a mass scale (as opposed to mass hacking of email accounts at the source). So arguably, SMS is a better method than email for 2FA—which is why vanguard probably chose not to allow 2FA via email.

— You can get a google voice number for free. No cell phone is needed. Use google voice app or log in to website to get the code. You can have google voice email the text message/code to you—thereby bypassing vanguard’s no codes via email restriction! You’ll probably find additional uses for your google voice number besides vanguard 2FA.

— You can use a physical key.

— You can receive your code via voice message sent to a land line.

— You can use a secondary number as a back up.

Yet, some consider it simpler to move their accounts and others think 2FA is solution in search of problem??????
+1 Totally agree !!

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:36 am

Thesaints wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:55 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:53 pm
I am completely bewildered by this entire thread. I log into Vanguard every evening to check the status of my portfolio, and I haven't had to use a cell phone security code in so long I can't remember. I spent 18 days in Europe in May and was able to log in from my iPad with no requirement to verify. Are posters talking about a new Vanguard policy that is being rolled out slowly across the customer base? Or is this a case where people go for long periods without logging in and have to reestablish their credentials with Vanguard?
Didn't you receive the email stating that 2FA will be mandatory starting September 26th ?
I didn't

The Wizard

Re: Vanguard is requiring cell phone security codes - problem for international travel (UPDATE)

Post by The Wizard » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:10 am

I setup 2FA with Vanguard a couple months ago and it works fine.
I had it remember both my smartphone and my desktop PC at home so I don't get routine text messages when I log in from either of those devices. (I no longer use a tablet or laptop.)

I was able to log into Vanguard and a few other financial websites from Italy last month, no problem.

If I did need to enter a security code texted to my smartphone, it helps that I use Google Project Fi for cell service, so I get phone calls and text messages from the US seamlessly in most other countries (but not Belize!)...
Attempted new signature...

hulburt1

Re: Vanguard is requiring cell phone security codes - problem for international travel (UPDATE)

Post by hulburt1 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:21 am

I do my sisters IRA for her only check it once a week. I live in Oregon she might live in Texas. How this work? She has her own computer I use mine to get to her account.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:26 am

hulburt1 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:21 am
I do my sisters IRA for her only check it once a week. I live in Oregon she might live in Texas. How this work? She has her own computer I use mine to get to her account.
She can either get the text and send it to you via text, email or phone or it may be possible to add your cell phone as a secondary number. I haven't tried this, but I am looking at the security code page and you can specify two phone numbers. Keep in mind, if you do the former option it should be a one time thing assuming you don't get a new computer (or browser- not sure).

Edit: It appears adding the secondary number will work: "We'll always send the code to the primary phone number you entered during the setup process. During setup you'll also be able to add a secondary phone number you can use if your primary number is unavailable. During log on, you'll be able to switch to that preestablished number if needed."

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:44 pm

S&L1940 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:19 pm
Thesaints wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:44 pm
banhbao wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:41 pm
When you enroll, you can choose to use a security code every time you log on to your account or only when Vanguard doesn’t recognize your computer or device.
Thanks. But when does my computer cease to be recognized ? If they use the IP address than it won't help. If they use a cookie instead I only have to remember not to wipe my browser clean.
Vanguard never recognizes my computer when I log in
After the log in they instantly and automatically call my home line and that works fine for me
I conduct all my financial stuff on my desk top
Probably this is due to a browser setting like cookie violence.