Going to the Everglade. A few questions please.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Faith20879

Going to the Everglade. A few questions please.

Post by Faith20879 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:56 am

Hello fellow Bogleheads,

Will be spending a week in the Everglades in November. I am trying to get familiar with the roads in the area. According to the google, we'll be taking I-75 or route 41 frequently in and out. I am assuming 41 is a state route and is free. I-75 looks like a toll road. If yes, can you tell me if the toll booths are manned or unmanned? I am assuming our EZpass is not compatible, is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

TnGuy

Re: Going to the Everglade. A few questions please.

Post by TnGuy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:31 am

I'm certain that someone will chime in with the answers you are looking for. But, I will offer a couple of quick suggestions on places in the area to see while you are there:

- Big Cypress National Preserve
- Fakahatchee Strand Preserve State Park
- Rookery Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve
- Clyde Butcher - beautiful B&W photography of the region. He has a gallery on Tamiami Trail (U.S. 41).

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:04 am

Shark Valley is on US 41 and is a great place to see wildlife with its tram tour.

Others can help with the question about whether or not your Toll Pass will work in Florida. I am not sure.

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:17 pm

Thank you guys! I added your suggestion to my list. Hopefully someone knows about I-75 will chime in.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:18 pm

75 aka 41 are not toll roads
"La Bella Luna"

John Z

Post by John Z » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:35 pm

Naples to Miami on I-75, Alligator Alley/Everglades Parkway is a toll road:

https://www.sixt.com/toll-roads/usa/flo ... tor-alley/

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:47 pm

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/transp ... story.html

This article says that you will have to wait till 2019 to get compatibility with Sun Pass with your EZ Pass.

https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/sunpas ... ders.shtml I don't guarantee that if you tape the 5 dollar Sunpass to your windshield that it will work but I am pretty sure that in another forum folks said they did that. It might be worth the 5 bucks just for the convenience.

jfn111

Post by jfn111 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:52 pm

I've driven to Key West, from Naples, a couple of times in the last few years. Hwy 41 isn't a toll road and Hwy 1 down to the keys isn't a toll road. (Plan for a long slow drive).

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:47 pm
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/transp ... story.html

This article says that you will have to wait till 2019 to get compatibility with Sun Pass with your EZ Pass.

https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/sunpas ... ders.shtml I don't guarantee that if you tape the 5 dollar Sunpass to your windshield that it will work but I am pretty sure that in another forum folks said they did that. It might be worth the 5 bucks just for the convenience.
Thanks for the links. It is comforting to learn that they also take cash. Some of the local toll roads around my area are totally unmanned, EZPass only, meaning no cash. Any violation comes with hefty fines. It is known to be quite unfriendly to visitors. I just don't want to be caught unprepared away from home in FL.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Gill

Post by Gill » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:14 pm

PoppyA wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:18 pm
75 aka 41 are not toll roads
I-75 and US 41 are not the same roads. Also, I-75 where it crosses Florida, formerly called Alligator Alley, is a toll road taking both SunPass and cash. If you want to visit the Everglades take US 41. I-75 pretty much crosses the Everglades but offers very little access.
Gill

zzcooper123

Post by zzcooper123 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:29 pm

Kirby Storter boardwalk off Route 41 in November (high water) can be fabulous and one of my favorite places. Big Cypress Park is not quite to the everglades but very interesting. Canoe/kayak Turner river. Oasis Rest for the largest gators you will ever see. We stopped at Shark Valley last March and saw all sorts of wildlife. The Mangrove kayak off Marco Island is fun. Air boat ride out of Everglade City is fun. Camille's for lunch. From Naples, the Everglades National Park is a 3 hour drive. You have to go to the opposite side of the State and then turn south.
No real need to take I-75 unless you want to get to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale fast.

sport

Post by sport » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:38 pm

The one time I was in the Everglades, we were attacked by a swarm of hungry mosquitoes. Bring insect repellent.

midareff

Post by midareff » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:11 pm

You can go to the SunPass website and order a pass and have everything set up before you get here. Lots of mosquito repellent.

https://www.sunpass.com/en/home/index.shtml

Big hats.. sun screen... lots of mosquito repellent. Leave the local orchids alone if you run across any, the troopers won't like that. Shark Valley, Big Cyprus Preserve, Hiking boots..... it will be wet, we are having a snake problem here...

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:31 pm

zzcooper123 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:29 pm
From Naples, the Everglades National Park is a 3 hour drive. You have to go to the opposite side of the State and then turn south.
No real need to take I-75 unless you want to get to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale fast.
OP mentioned using roads as if one will be going to/from the Everglades during a visit, which is not really practical. As noted above it's a multi hour drive ANYWHERE; Everglades National Park is remote. There aren't really any accommodations to speak of either since the lodge at Flamingo (only motel type facility, everything else is camping spots) was basically destroyed in a hurricane a few years ago. No services either other than gas/marina at Flamingo which is itself almost 40 miles from the entrance to the park.

Probably best to plan on either a day trip, or check out accommodations in Homestead or Florida City, the nearest populated areas, if you want to do a multi day visit. Or if you want to stay at a rustic, scenic little town go to Chokoloskee Florida-here's a link to a website. It's an old fishing village that is pretty close relatively speaking and has a very colorful past.

https://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/citi ... oskee.html

As for mosquitos, by November if it's been dry for awhile they will have started to settle down.

Captain_Video

Post by Captain_Video » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:36 pm

+1 about the mosquitoes. As soon as you walk into the shaded area of a hammock they will pounce on you. If you leave an area on you the size of a dime untreated with repellent the mosquitoes will find it and bite.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:39 pm

sport wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:38 pm
The one time I was in the Everglades, we were attacked by a swarm of hungry mosquitoes. Bring insect repellent.
I was there in late November and mosquitos were thick and constantly flying around my face even with repellent. I saw other people walking around with a net over their face and neck.

It is hard to imagine what it could be like in the summer there.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:14 pm

There is lodging in Everglades City. Ivey House and Everglades City Motel. See Tripadvisor.com. Both are nice. Also some restuarants in that area. Close to a NPS visitor center with boat rides.

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:12 am

Lots of good ideas to think on. Many Thanks!

We'll be picking up a rental car in Miami and staying in Everglade City. I just assumed, like other NPS, we will be using the two main roads I-75 and 41 in and out daily. Now I see I-75 does not really provide access which makes sense. It is an interstate after all.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:00 am

Hertz, National, and maybe others have a plan called toll by plate. For $3.95 a day for those days that you use tolls, the tolls are charged to the car via the license plate. Depending on the number of days you plan to encounter toll roads, this is a convenient, if not absolutely cheapest, way to deal with tolls. A couple of years ago they charged for every day you rented the car, regardless of whether or not there were toll charges those days, max $14.95. That was a ripoff if you only used toll roads one day. Somehow, they got away from that.