Android app for receipts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
get_g0ing

Android app for receipts?

Post by get_g0ing » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:49 pm

Hi,

Do you use any android app to keep digital copies of receipts, to use for a future return? (instead of the paper receipt)

I want to see if an app will let me keep photos of receipts for any future need (like returns), so I don't have to save paper receipts. This is for everyday type shopping like: Target, ALDI, Safeway, Bestbuy, etc.

I know there are some apps that give some sort of cash back for uploading receipts or some help with expense reporting. That's not my main goal, so I don't care if the app has that feature as well or not. I just want to use a digital copy instead of paper.

(I am aware that some stores let you do a small number of returns without a receipt (they'll use your ID as part of the return process), and some can look up receipt if you give them the same card used for the purchase. But overall it seems that having the receipt is best.)

Thank you.

Kenkat

Re: Android app for receipts?

Post by Kenkat » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:52 pm

I use ExpenseIt for work expenses as it integrates with our expense report system in Concur.
Last edited by Kenkat on Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:08 pm

get_g0ing wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:49 pm
Hi,

Do you use any android app to keep digital copies of receipts, to use for a future return? (instead of the paper receipt)

I want to see if an app will let me keep photos of receipts for any future need (like returns), so I don't have to save paper receipts. This is for everyday type shopping like: Target, ALDI, Safeway, Bestbuy, etc.

I know there are some apps that give some sort of cash back for uploading receipts or some help with expense reporting. That's not my main goal, so I don't care if the app has that feature as well or not. I just want to use a digital copy instead of paper.

(I am aware that some stores let you do a small number of returns without a receipt (they'll use your ID as part of the return process), and some can look up receipt if you give them the same card used for the purchase. But overall it seems that having the receipt is best.)

Thank you.

I use Receipt Hog... it is designed with rewards in mind so finding a particular receipt for retrieval would be harder than something that indexed your receipts... BUT I've used it a few times to show a store proof of purchase...

I earn $40 in Amazon Credits about every 9 months by using it.. they also do cash deposits to paypal if you want that instead.. the payout ratio is the same.. but I do use Amazon enough..

William4589

Post by William4589 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:26 pm

I usually just take a quick pic of my receipt and add it to a Google photo album or add it to a folder in Google Drive all on my phone. GPhotos / GDrive sync across laptop, desktop and phone. Good to go.

get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:06 pm

William4589 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:26 pm
I usually just take a quick pic of my receipt and add it to a Google photo album or add it to a folder in Google Drive all on my phone. GPhotos / GDrive sync across laptop, desktop and phone. Good to go.
That was my backup idea if I didn't find an app. I think an app would avoid the extra steps of manually moving the photo to google Drive.

Do you manually add each photo to Google drive?
Have you found that stores accept images of receipts in place of paper?

Thanks for your post.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:06 pm

Office Lens is awesome. It will straighten receipts if you take a crooked picture of them, and then let you save them locally, to cloud storage, a corporate sharepoint server if you have that, tons of options. I keep mine in a OneNote notebook.

William4589

Post by William4589 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:49 pm

get_g0ing wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:06 pm
William4589 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:26 pm
That was my backup idea if I didn't find an app. I think an app would avoid the extra steps of manually moving the photo to google Drive.

Do you manually add each photo to Google drive?
Have you found that stores accept images of receipts in place of paper?

Thanks for your post.
If you access your Google Photo Icon on your phone and pull up the photo of the receipt you should have an option at bottom of photo to "share" (look for an icon). When you select share, up will pop a bunch of icons and just select Google Drive icon and the "folder". On your phone just make sure you have Google Drive and Google Photo App downloaded. This all syncs..... I will say you have another option, just go into Google Drive settings on your phone and select "Auto Add" and it will automatically add the pic to Google Drive from Google Photos but I like to add it to a named folder of my choosing. It will auto name your folders 2016, 2017, 2018, etc... I have shown the pic on my phone to sales clerk and have even printed it out and usually once I give a quick explanation they okay it.

Tico_75

Post by Tico_75 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:05 pm

I use Neat receipts. It's about $10/month.
"Check ID" is my actual signature.