eBay Leaving Negative Feedback

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DTalos

eBay Leaving Negative Feedback

Post by DTalos » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:04 pm

Recently, I had two separate purchases made on eBay arrive with parts missing and the item not being in the condition described. For both of those purchases I initiated a return through eBay and received a refund. Should I leave negative feedback for those sellers?

On another occasion on eBay, I purchased an item and then shortly thereafter, I received a refund indicating that the item had been sold to another buyer. Frustrating. Does this seller deserve negative or neutral feedback?

buccimane

Re: eBay Leaving Negative Feedback

Post by buccimane » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:12 pm

i believe Buyers no longer receive feedback, which has made it easier to leave neutral and negative feedback..

i had ordered a pair of shoes, and with an estimated delivery time of 2 weeks. 4.5 weeks passed before I received them, so I left a negative feedback. The seller refunded my shipping in return for a positive feedback. done deal.

In your situation, it depends if the seller who withdrew the item has thousands of sales or dozens. If he has thousands I would leave neutral. However, if a neutral would drastically affect his score, I would let it go. YMMV
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

Uniballer

Post by Uniballer » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:18 pm

The purpose of negative feedback is to identify "bad actors" who do not want to provide the value that they seem to be promising.

So if you buy something, and it arrives broken, and the return and a refund go through in the normal way, then I don't really think this deserves negative feedback. On the other hand if you bought a vase and received a brick, that is a different matter. Or if you send back an item and the replacement is not as promised this is a real problem that may be hard to resolve.

In the case of a seller who cancels your order and says the item was sold to somebody else, it is hard to show that you were harmed as long as you received a full refund. So I don't think this deserves a negative, but if he does it a lot then neutral feedback is likely to add up...

Something that may not be obvious to new ebayers is that the system for resolving issues is far more formal now than it was years ago. It was much easier for a bad seller to string naive buyers along with promises of delivery and/or refunds until the time window for ebay customer service resolution was past. I always try to contact sellers directly first (without asking ebay for a refund, etc) to resolve any issues. Most respond very well to this and bend over backwards to make things right.

One thing you should not do is engage in "feedback extortion", i.e. threatening to leave negative feedback if the buyer will not handle problems in the way you desire.

AAA

Post by AAA » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:38 pm

I'm reluctant to leave negative feedback and usually give the benefit of the doubt that a mistake was made rather than outright fraud. That's especially the case when the seller agrees to a refund and provides a paid shipping label. I recently bought some button batteries and discovered that the expiration date was only a few months away. I contacted the seller just to let him know I was disappointed but didn't ask for anything as the items were very inexpensive. He never bothered to answer so I just didn't leave any feedback.

In all my years on eBay I have only left negative feedback once - we purchased a textbook and I emailed the seller to request that he ship it as soon as possible as the term was about the begin. I got what sounded like a form email saying they will be glad to oblige. A few days later, when the book didn't show up as being shipped, I emailed him again to inquire and again got a form email. Only later did the seller let us know that they didn't have the book and refunded our purchase price. I suspect what happened is that they saw the book could have earned them significantly more than what they asked for it and sold it on another site.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:44 pm

DTalos wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:04 pm
Recently, I had two separate purchases made on eBay arrive with parts missing and the item not being in the condition described. For both of those purchases I initiated a return through eBay and received a refund. Should I leave negative feedback for those sellers?

On another occasion on eBay, I purchased an item and then shortly thereafter, I received a refund indicating that the item had been sold to another buyer. Frustrating. Does this seller deserve negative or neutral feedback?
I quit dealing with eBay years ago, largely due to this reason.

When I did, I would pay immediately and in full. The seller would often refuse to rate me until after I rated them; I pressed them on this and they said they were not rating me until they knew I was completely satisfied with the purchase, which was nonsense. If I gave them negative feedback due to a problem, then they would give me negative feedback as revenge; it was their way of making sure they received positive feedback. The system did not seem to be fair in that respect. How can you give someone negative feedback if it is going to come right back at you, even if you completely fulfilled your responsibilities as a buyer?

One that I remember was a seller who posted an expensive brand of automotive oil filters (with photos). I bought them and he sent me the Wal*Mart brand. Now Wal*Mart SuperTec oil filters are ok, but they are inexpensive and that's not what I ordered. The seller obviously did this fraudulently and would not work with me. Contacting eBay was no help and neither was the NJ Office of Consumer Protection. I gave him negative feedback and he gave me negative feedback right back. One of the few times I have ever been taken advantage of. Fortunately it was chump change.

Maybe they changed this feedback system. I hope so.

Uniballer

Post by Uniballer » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:06 pm

munemaker wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:44 pm
Sellers are no longer permitted to give negative feedback to buyers. That solves your problem, but does not address the situation of "buyers" who are trying to scam innocent sellers.

elderwise

Post by elderwise » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:07 pm

munemaker wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:44 pm
DTalos wrote:

I quit dealing with eBay years ago, largely due to this reason.

When I did, I would pay immediately and in full. The seller would often refuse to rate me until after I rated them; I pressed them on this and they said they were not rating me until they knew I was completely satisfied with the purchase, which was nonsense. If I gave them negative feedback due to a problem, then they would give me negative feedback as revenge; it was their way of making sure they received positive feedback. The system did not seem to be fair in that respect. How can you give someone negative feedback if it is going to come right back at you, even if you completely fulfilled your responsibilities as a buyer?

One that I remember was a seller who posted an expensive brand of automotive oil filters (with photos). I bought them and he sent me the Wal*Mart brand. Now Wal*Mart SuperTec oil filters are ok, but they are inexpensive and that's not what I ordered. The seller obviously did this fraudulently and would not work with me. Contacting eBay was no help and neither was the NJ Office of Consumer Protection. I gave him negative feedback and he gave me negative feedback right back. One of the few times I have ever been taken advantage of. Fortunately it was chump change.

Yes the system HAS changed, sellers can no longer leave negative feed to a buyer.only buyer can do this,

elderwise

Post by elderwise » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:11 pm

I would add that on the flip side, selling is also pretty risky with eBay they FLAT out without hesitation 100% trust the buyer.

An example, a friend sold an iphone (dont recall 6 or 7) but close after launch, he got paid shipped the item with tracking insurance.buyer got the phone, then opened a case saying SNAD (not as described) and eBay asked the seller to refund the money because it had not an iphone but some other crap phone that the buyer took pictures of.there is no way to verify, does not happen all the time - but it DOES sometimes .

Another case, buyer buys iPhone 7 or 8, gets one in good condition initiates a return and ships something else back.or ships back stones etc. no way eBay sides with the seller in this case too.

Basically, the eBay marketplace in such fraudulent cases is *very* pro-buyer and centric.

texascat1

Post by texascat1 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:51 pm

DTalos wrote:

As an ebay seller I can say you leaving negative feedback probably will not work. You received a refund so ebay considers it resolved and you made whole. Most times they will wipe negative feedback when the seller was prompt on the refund.

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:09 pm

I mostly buy but occasionally sell on eBay.
DTalos wrote:
Before getting eBay involved, always contact the seller first.
99.9% of the seller will try to do right by you.

I would not leave negative feedback when the seller works with you to come to a resolution.

DTalos wrote:
When you purchased. was it a Buy It Now?
If so, how soon after the purchase were you refunded?

If it was within a day, I would not leave a feedback at all.

I reserve negative feedback for the fraudsters!

DTalos

Post by DTalos » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:21 pm

go_mets wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:09 pm
I mostly buy but occasionally sell on eBay.
DTalos wrote:
Before getting eBay involved, always contact the seller first.
99.9% of the seller will try to do right by you.

I would not leave negative feedback when the seller works with you to come to a resolution.

DTalos wrote:
When you purchased. was it a Buy It Now?
If so, how soon after the purchase were you refunded?

If it was within a day, I would not leave a feedback at all.

I reserve negative feedback for the fraudsters!

For the item that I received a refund on about 12 hours after purchase due to the item being sold to another buyer, it was a buy it now. The item did sell for a very low price.

I realize that I was made whole by returning the items that were missing parts and not as described, but to me it does speak to the sellers honesty when they describe an item as new and it's used and missing parts, or describe a CD box set as being in mint condition and when it arrives, some CD's are missing and others are scratched.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:52 pm

Agreed with the sentiment on here. If they make it right, no need for negative feedback. Things happen, mail gets lost, things stop working, etc that are not in the seller's control.

DTalos

Post by DTalos » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:13 pm

If purchases are covered by a 100% money back guarantee, then what's the risk of buying from a seller with a low feedback score other than inconvenience? Are you all suggesting that negative feedback should be reserved for when a seller doesn't accept a return request for an item not as described or missing parts and then eBay has to get involved to force a return/refund?

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:44 pm

DTalos wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:21 pm
to me it does speak to the sellers honesty
To me, as long as they do right to fix it, then I do not leave a negative feedback.

If you want to question their honesty after they do refund your money, then I am not sure I would want you as a buyer either!
And I would make sure to say that you were refunded.
I bought 25+ in 2018 on Ebay and sold 1.

As for the item that sold too cheaply, I would have no hesitation as the seller to cancel your purchase and get dinged by your negative feedback!

DTalos

Post by DTalos » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:51 pm

go_mets wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:44 pm
DTalos wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:21 pm
to me it does speak to the sellers honesty
To me, as long as they do right to fix it, then I do not leave a negative feedback.

If you want to question their honesty after they do refund your money, then I am not sure I would want you as a buyer either!
And I would make sure to say that you were refunded.
I bought 25+ in 2018 on Ebay and sold 1.

As for the item that sold too cheaply, I would have no hesitation as the seller to cancel your purchase and get dinged by your negative feedback!

Why list an item on a buy it now for a low price, and then cancel the purchase? Doesn't make sense, only frustrated buyers.

I think it's dishonest to advertise a CD Box set that's in mint condition and have it arrive missing CDs and having some CD's that are scratched. I also think it's dishonest to advertise an item as new that is clearly used and missing parts.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:50 pm

Since you were made whole, you should leave a neutral feedback. Consider that the seller could've made an honest mistake. If you think the seller was being dishonest, you can leave feedback comment.

I've purchased items from Home Depot or Best Buy before that were previously opened. I didn't realize it until I came home. Someone probably opened it and put it back on the shelf. The store either refunded me or exchanged for a new item. There was no reason to leave negative feedback if the store worked with me to rectify the issue. I've also tried to purchase price mistakes from online retailers. When they realize it, they cancel my order.

Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:05 am

DTalos wrote:

I don't leave negative as long as the seller refunds my money. I also sell quite a bit on eBay so I understand it from the seller side...

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:15 pm

Two months ago I received a non-working item. Emailed the seller through eBay and he refunded my money and cost to ship back. That is a POSITIVE experience.

If the seller works with you and refunds your money, give them a positive review.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:46 pm

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:13 pm

DTalos wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:51 pm

I think it's dishonest to advertise a CD Box set that's in mint condition and have it arrive missing CDs and having some CD's that are scratched. I also think it's dishonest to advertise an item as new that is clearly used and missing parts.
Agreed. For perspective, see recent threads about selling used cars. :D

Everything on eBay is "mint." My favorites are the camera equipment sites that even have a "key": "Like new" means pretty good; "mint" means signs of use, "excellent" means it's been in my trunk rattling around in a box of rocks for the past few years...

I've sold a few dozen things, generally in the $50 - $500 range. It's no fun anymore.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

shelanman

Post by shelanman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:25 am

As an occasional ebay seller...

...please don't leave negative feedback for a seller who was prompt with a replacement or refund in the case of a damage-in-transit or a reasonable miscommunication about condition. If you feel that the condition was not-as-described before it was packed, but that it could be an honest miscommunication, then still please don't (if the seller was prompt and courteous regarding refund/replacement). Basically, if you think they acted with honest intent and were quick to help when things went wrong, then they deserve either a positive feedback or no feedback. If you feel that the not-as-described was a deliberate attempt to pass off used/damaged/counterfeit goods as new/pristine/genuine, then that's a different story.

On the other hand, leaving negative feedback because the seller had "seller's remorse" is completely fair. This is a common problem on the platform, where folks list stuff for sale in large quantities, and then the market price moves, and they decide to renege on the sales to re-sell at the new, higher price. In some product categories, you'd be hard-pressed to find a seller that *doesn't* do that on occasion (sometimes price moves are big enough that it's "worth" taking the reputation hit), but it is definitely an abuse of the platform, and it contributes significantly to the general feeling among would-be buyers that ebay is a scummy marketplace, and that hurts everybody.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:55 am

Of course, particularly if you have received consistently better service from other sellers and you know you are not a chronic complainer who expects more and does not allow for normal errors. Balance this by making very positive responses when deserved.

Tim

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:33 am

I also agree that a purchase made "whole" if there are problems is a positive (but frustrating) experience. Fraud, canceling completed sales etc is not a positive experience. I used to sell a bit of stuff on ebay but no more due to the potential of buyer fraud and I don't buy very much there either.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:29 am

At one time, eBay catered to the sellers but now it's the reverse.

I've been on both sides but now I'm more of a buyer than seller due to the changes. To maintain my 100% rating of over 500 transactions, I had to eat some of the transactions. There were times I felt like returning products (color, as an example) but did not do that since I tried to put myself in the sellers' shoes.

Just bear that in mind when giving a rating. What would you have done if you were on the other side of the fence?

DTalos

Post by DTalos » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:34 pm

Just this past week, I negotiated a best offer with a seller and then two days later, I receive an email from the seller stating that he spent two days looking for the item and could not find it. He refunded by money and told me I would be receiving a gift because he felt bad. If this gift arrives, should I leave positive feedback? If it doesn't, should I leave neutral feedback?

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:57 pm

If it arrives, sell it on eBay.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:05 pm

I haven't shopped on ebay for a couple of years - you used to be able to leave neutral feedback. If yes,

For the item not in the condition described: leave a factual note describing the problem, and say that you returned the item & got a refund.
Doing that helps others, and it's the only way to help identify whether it's an ongoing problem with the seller

For the one where you got the refund right away because it had been sold to another buyer: I wouldn't leave feedback of any kind. If they refunded the money right away, they were very much on top of things - it's possible their inventory was out of whack or they thought they had it, but discovered when preparing to ship it there was a problem of some kind.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:08 pm

DTalos wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:34 pm
Just this past week, I negotiated a best offer with a seller and then two days later, I receive an email from the seller stating that he spent two days looking for the item and could not find it. He refunded by money and told me I would be receiving a gift because he felt bad. If this gift arrives, should I leave positive feedback? If it doesn't, should I leave neutral feedback?
Positive feedback is not deserved in this case - but I wouldn't leave any feedback.