1 year old birthday

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FullYellowJacket

1 year old birthday

Post by FullYellowJacket » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:00 pm

Hello BH community,

I woud like some advice on how to go about throwing a birthday for my soon to be 1 year old. We currently reside in a small condo and do not have any family in the area. We do have some family friends and friends from daycare , however I am not sure if it is a good idea to have them over in our condo. We are not fully baby proofed, and I worry it would be too crowded for the children/adults as we have no outdoor space (only a small patio). We are also new to our area so I am not very familiar with the venues, although I am not sure if this is worth it either as our baby doesn't walk yet.
A few kids birthday parties we have attended have all been in houses with a yard or at a grandparent/family member's house with some outdoor space, neither of which is feasible for us.
Any suggestions/advice on how to go about this given our situation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

kelvan80

Re: 1 year old birthday

Post by kelvan80 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:01 pm

Any parks close by with pavilions?

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:03 pm

If no family in the area, a 1 year old party consists of making a cake, covering it with frosting and then letting the child attempt to eat it while being filmed.

The funny video is then put on Facebook and Instagram and Twitter for all interested parties to view. :wink:

A 1 year old has no idea they are at a party and neither will daycare mates. So, it is a party for the adults/family/parents.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

Afty

Post by Afty » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:04 pm

Are there any parks nearby with picnic areas? Where I live, we can reserve the picnic area at the local park through the city website. That's typically what we do for our kids' birthdays.

I have really fond memories of both my kids' first birthday parties. First birthday parties are really more for you and your spouse than they are for your child. Enjoy it and don't worry too much!

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:08 pm

1. Any outdoor setting. Parks, state park etc. Free or cheap.
2. Many indoor places can be rented and cater to small kids.
3. Maybe don't? 1y olds don't care about parties. For adults is generally horrendous, especially if you not going to have (at least) beer and the right mix of friends.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:08 pm

Don't have a party. He's one and will neither care about it nor remember any of it. If you simply must organize something, I suggest taking cupcakes and some fruit to daycare and having a little party with his class there.

FullYellowJacket

Post by FullYellowJacket » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:11 pm

Afty wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:04 pm
Are there any parks nearby with picnic areas? Where I live, we can reserve the picnic area at the local park through the city website. That's typically what we do for our kids' birthdays.

I have really fond memories of both my kids' first birthday parties. First birthday parties are really more for you and your spouse than they are for your child. Enjoy it and don't worry too much!
Yes we do have a park nearby, however it does not have any picnic areas/pavillions. So it would consist of us finding chairs and tables, and we would have to rent a large car to drive it over/back, etc.
bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:03 pm
If no family in the area, a 1 year old party consists of making a cake, covering it with frosting and then letting the child attempt to eat it while being filmed.

The funny video is then put on Facebook and Instagram and Twitter for all interested parties to view. :wink:

A 1 year old has no idea they are at a party and neither will daycare mates. So, it is a party for the adults/family/parents.
I agree with this, but I am wondering if it is a good idea to have them over in such a small space. Would the parents be uncomfortable? Perhaps I'm over thinking this too much.

kelvan80 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:01 pm
Responded above.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:12 pm

Have a few friends over. The baby won't remember it, but you will. You'll get some good pics, too. No reason to sweat this, though.

JT

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:19 pm

FullYellowJacket wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:11 pm
Afty wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:04 pm

Yes we do have a park nearby, however it does not have any picnic areas/pavillions. So it would consist of us finding chairs and tables, and we would have to rent a large car to drive it over/back, etc.

Use blankets and baskets and paper plates and make it picnic stile?
Or you know, drive couple of miles down to the next park?

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:22 pm

kelvan80 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:01 pm
Good idea.

We did that for birthdays 1-5. At age 6 we switched to the Pizza Place with arcade games. Much easier and not too expensive.

FullYellowJacket

Post by FullYellowJacket » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:25 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. I guess my final question at this point is, would you attend your baby's friend's birthday party if you knew it was to be held at someone's small condo? Would you think this is strange at all?

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:30 pm

Rupert wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:08 pm
Don't have a party. He's one and will neither care about it nor remember any of it. If you simply must organize something, I suggest taking cupcakes and some fruit to daycare and having a little party with his class there.
:sharebeer

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:32 pm

Chuck-E-Cheese

Although we had huge parties for our first son at our house, we soon learned that it was pretty silly. The kid doesn't care, nobody really gets to talk for long because so many people are there and it's just a big blur. By his 3rd b'day (and for our second son), the goal was always to have the party "away". It's nice to be at a Chuck-E-Cheese or as they get older, a lazer zone or a model car racetrack, finish with cake, do the activity and have zero cleanup.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:37 pm

Does your condo have any sort of common room that you could reserve for the day?

We are in a different situation but our subdivision has a room at the pool house that you can reserve for things like this. (This is not as fancy as it sounds.)
Last edited by Watty on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:39 pm

FullYellowJacket wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:25 pm
Thank you all for your suggestions. I guess my final question at this point is, would you attend your baby's friend's birthday party if you knew it was to be held at someone's small condo? Would you think this is strange at all?
Condo/house/apt size would not factor in. Do you have any outdoor/shared space in the complex? A deck/patio? I don't think you are talking about inviting 20+ people/kids, so your condo is your condo. Small, big or in-between.

If you do the "messy cake" thing, you will want a bathtub close by. Cleanup, cleanup, everybody, everywhere....
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

FullYellowJacket

Post by FullYellowJacket » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:43 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:39 pm
FullYellowJacket wrote:
Condo/house/apt size would not factor in. Do you have any outdoor/shared space in the complex? A deck/patio? I don't think you are talking about inviting 20+ people/kids, so your condo is your condo. Small, big or in-between.

If you do the "messy cake" thing, you will want a bathtub close by. Cleanup, cleanup, everybody, everywhere....
Our complex unfortunately has no common room/shared space area. This would have been a great location to throw the birthday.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:44 pm

What is the purpose of the 1-year-old party? I'm asking a serious question. Do you feel you have paid for many of the parties that you have attended and now want some payback?

Just take your adult friends to a movie or dinner and leave the little ones at home. Seriously. Make it a tradition.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:49 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:32 pm
Chuck-E-Cheese

Although we had huge parties for our first son at our house, we soon learned that it was pretty silly. The kid doesn't care, nobody really gets to talk for long because so many people are there and it's just a big blur. By his 3rd b'day (and for our second son), the goal was always to have the party "away". It's nice to be at a Chuck-E-Cheese or as they get older, a lazer zone or a model car racetrack, finish with cake, do the activity and have zero cleanup.
I'd wait until at least the 3rd birthday party before Chuck-E-Cheese. You don't want to have to worry about 1 year olds crawling/walking off and getting mowed down by excited 5 year olds running past.

As for the party, it's a nice excuse to get family together and friends who may have not seen your child since they were a newborn. Of course it's not really for the kids. Do something you would actually enjoy.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:51 pm

FullYellowJacket wrote:
I would attend only if I were good friends with the parents and if I were reasonably sure that it was just an excuse to throw a party for the adults.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:13 pm

FullYellowJacket wrote:
I have, and would again. What does small condo have to do with it? This isn't a sweet sixteen party or a Bat Mitzvah.

Clearly, some people prefer not to make memories with their kids unless their kids will remember it. I don't remember much from before I was 5. By that logic, my parents could have kept me in the basement until then and I'd be none the wiser.

I could have done that with my kids. I'd have missed out on a whole lot of fun and memories. And been haunted constantly by their muffled cries eminating from the floor registers.

If you're one that doesn't care, don't do anything.

If you do care, invite a few friends over. Offer them food and something to drink. Talk about your kids. Sing Happy Birthday and serve some cupcakes. Create some traditions and memories. It's part of being human.

You don't know it yet, but in a few short years, these types of events will represent the few times a year all of your friends (and hopefully at some point, family) will be gathered together all at once.

JT

FullYellowJacket

Post by FullYellowJacket » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:27 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:44 pm
What is the purpose of the 1-year-old party? I'm asking a serious question. Do you feel you have paid for many of the parties that you have attended and now want some payback?

Just take your adult friends to a movie or dinner and leave the little ones at home. Seriously. Make it a tradition.
Bottlecap had a great explanation to your question below. Also, how would anyone be celebrating their baby going to the movies alone with other adults? :?

kelvan80

Post by kelvan80 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:29 pm

Do a cupcake, invite closest friends, snap a few pictures. It doesn't have to be a grand affair like the people on pinterest and ig make it out to be.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:33 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:13 pm
Clearly, some people prefer not to make memories with their kids unless their kids will remember it. I don't remember much from before I was 5. By that logic, my parents could have kept me in the basement until then and I'd be none the wiser.

I could have done that with my kids. I'd have missed out on a whole lot of fun and memories. And been haunted constantly by their muffled cries eminating from the floor registers.

Give us a break. Clearly, everyday life creates enough opportunities for memories, such as first swing, first pony ride, first cupcake, .., and on and on. There is no logic that says keep kids in the basement.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:39 pm

bloom2708 wrote:

This. ^^^^

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:41 pm

bottlecap wrote:
By that logic, my parents could have kept me in the basement until then and I'd be none the wiser.
Maybe they did?

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:45 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:33 pm
bottlecap wrote:

Give us a break. Clearly, everyday life creates enough opportunities for memories, such as first swing, first pony ride, first cupcake, .., and on and on. There is no logic that says keep kids in the basement.
+1. There's quite a bit of real estate between "depriving" your one year old of a birthday party and locking your kids in the basement for their entire childhood. Some parents feel compelled to throw these parties because everyone else is doing it. The small-kid-birthday-party industry has become quite a racket in recent years -- parties costing hundreds or thousands of dollars, guests expected to bring expensive gifts, parents of birthday kid expected to give gift bags to the other kids who attend the parties, etc. To the extent my humble opinion on the matter can relieve any pressure on unwilling parents to participate in this shakedown, I'm happy to oblige. But to each his own. When my kids turned one, we invited grandma over and snapped a couple of cute pictures of the kids with cupcake all over their faces. My kids don't seem to have been traumatized by this.

Novajen

Post by Novajen » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:51 pm

My kids are 4 & 1. We didn't do friend birthday parties until the older 1 turned 4 last December, and will do the same for the younger, family only until that point. And I'm one of those "no gift please" parents, my kids have a ton of stuff from family already, they didn't need any additional toys.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:01 pm

Novajen wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:51 pm
My kids are 4 & 1. We didn't do friend birthday parties until the older 1 turned 4 last December, and will do the same for the younger, family only until that point. And I'm one of those "no gift please" parents, my kids have a ton of stuff from family already, they didn't need any additional toys.
Sounds perfect. I've never had a root canal, but might prefer it to going to a 1st birthday party for a kid I wasn't related to. We did plenty of fun things with our kids at all ages, but since they didn't understand birthday parties when they were under 4 years old, and they certainly didn't need more stuff, we kept the birthday celebrations simple.

Hoosens

Post by Hoosens » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:09 pm

I'm in the same situation right now. I have a baby turning 1 in one week. I have always been firmly in the 'No need for a birthday party for a 1 year old' category. My wife is not. We're having a birthday party.

It's more for our family and close friends, some of whom haven't seen our baby much since she was born. It will be nice for them to see her. We did not invite any of her 'friends' from daycare. We are renting a pavilion at a local beach. We also live in a smallish condo, and I would not feel comfortable (nor could we accommodate parking) with that many people in our place.

We are also 'no gift please' parents, however, I know we will always have some family members who want to bring a gift. For those who were interested, we asked for diapers or a donation to her 529 account.

Have the party somewhere outside, invite some friends whose company you enjoy.

seity

Post by seity » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:12 pm

We didn't have any family in the area, so for our kids 1st through 4th birthdays, it was just us at home and a cake after dinner. No party. Once they were in pre-k and had friends to invite, we did parties.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:12 pm

Rupert wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:45 pm
livesoft wrote:
bottlecap wrote:

The small-kid-birthday-party industry has become quite a racket in recent years -- parties costing hundreds or thousands of dollars, guests expected to bring expensive gifts, parents of birthday kid expected to give gift bags to the other kids who attend the parties, etc. To the extent my humble opinion on the matter can relieve any pressure on unwilling parents to participate in this shakedown, I'm happy to oblige. But to each his own. When my kids turned one, we invited grandma over and snapped a couple of cute pictures of the kids with cupcake all over their faces. My kids don't seem to have been traumatized by this.
Nobody is saying you need to spend thousands of dollars on your kid. But I do think it's nice to have a few friends over to celebrate the milestone. It's a party for you surviving the first year as much as anything. Have a beer with your friends :sharebeer

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:55 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:12 pm
Have a beer with your friends :sharebeer
We do that just because we survived a week. :)

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:01 pm

livesoft wrote:
bottlecap wrote:

Why celebrate any milestone, really? Why not just spend two hours with friends in a dark room watching glorified TV?

If you have a couple of kids, everyday life blends in pretty fast. Opportunities to spend time with extended family and friends dwindle.

I'm so glad we celebrated birthdays with friends. Have the memories. Have the pictures. Some of them are on our walls.

I'm not a sentimental person, but we will just have to disagree on this one.

JT

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:06 pm

I would go to a party in a small condo but I would hope the party was appropriate for the space and type of guests.If you have a small space, keep the numbers small. If you have young children who don’t have a yard to run around then plan a stationary craft or game activity. Also, keep it short with young kids.

That said, the trend around here lately is to have large events for the first birthday party. The last one I went to had about 70 people and was in a rented space.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:26 pm

If you haven't just decided to make this family/cake/minimalist:

Our county recreation centers often have a party room, where birthday parties or other events are held. Kids can then go swimming before or after. I'm sure there's a fee, but it's possible to de-emphasize eating, and choose your own food.

seity

Post by seity » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:19 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:55 pm
alfaspider wrote:
We do that just because we survived the day! :sharebeer

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:23 pm

seity wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:19 pm
livesoft wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:55 pm
alfaspider wrote:
We do that just because we survived the day! :sharebeer
Agree! I'm a big believer in giving your new 1yr old a cupcake, taking some pictures, hiring a babysitter and going out to dinner with your spouse. You made it through the first 12 months! :sharebeer

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:44 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:39 pm
bloom2708 wrote:

This. ^^^^
LOL

Our kids' birthdays have always been more about their mother than about the kids! She wants them to have a big fat birthday bash year. Paintball with the friends, dinner & cake at Grandma's, and a special occasion at home :mrgreen:

For myself I try to have an un-birthday and just have some good steaks and a bottle of wine but the kids are well trained: "Dad, where's the cake? You gotta have a cake!"

nps

Post by nps » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:22 pm

FullYellowJacket wrote:
I guess my final question at this point is, would you attend your baby's friend's birthday party if you knew it was to be held at someone's small condo?
I'm pretty sure my kids didn't have friends when they were babies, just other babies that sometimes occupied the same room as them :)

As for attending the parties our friends had for their babies, sometimes we did and sometimes we didn't but the location (if local) wasn't really a factor.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:54 pm

bottlecap wrote:
FullYellowJacket wrote:
I have, and would again. What does small condo have to do with it? This isn't a sweet sixteen party or a Bat Mitzvah.

My kid is 6 now and I barely remember his 1y old party but probably I mix it with next the next ones.
We quit having parties for him when he was about 4.
The only reason we had parties was that we had many (~30) friends over - most with kids but not all - and we drunk beer and wine for 6h. It was fun for us. They are good friends and they know each other. It's a pretext for a good adult party.

I have been to many, many horrible kids parties. I mean like "for the kids". Adults barely talk to each other and kids do some 2h of activities in an orderly fashion and under supervision and eat some low quality cake or cupcakes I wouldn't normally feed my kid.
If that's your idea of fun and good memories I don't want to know what is a bad one.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:05 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:12 pm
Have a few friends over. The baby won't remember it, but you will. You'll get some good pics, too. No reason to sweat this, though.

JT
+1
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Mjar

Post by Mjar » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:12 pm

bloom2708 wrote:

agreed. why not just have birthday party with you and the kid only? All of our birthday parties are with family that is in the area and no one else and some years it just us and the kids only and no family. We did have a birthday party with their friends at 5yo but that was it, other than that its family or just us and them. That is just the way b-day parties have been run in our entire family.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:10 pm

FullYellowJacket wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:00 pm
Hello BH community,

I woud like some advice on how to go about throwing a birthday for my soon to be 1 year old. We currently reside in a small condo and do not have any family in the area. We do have some family friends and friends from daycare , however I am not sure if it is a good idea to have them over in our condo. We are not fully baby proofed, and I worry it would be too crowded for the children/adults as we have no outdoor space (only a small patio). We are also new to our area so I am not very familiar with the venues, although I am not sure if this is worth it either as our baby doesn't walk yet.
A few kids birthday parties we have attended have all been in houses with a yard or at a grandparent/family member's house with some outdoor space, neither of which is feasible for us.
Any suggestions/advice on how to go about this given our situation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Held a party for my son when he turned 1.... I rented a pavilion a city park for $175. It was the way to go.