Amazon Prime - Value?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Ecorp

Re: Amazon Prime - Value?

Post by Ecorp » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:09 am

I get maybe 25% of things in one day. Rest is always 2 days. Love it

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:12 pm

Hmm, our Amazon Prime account just renewed for $99 in August. I don't know why they only charged us $99, but I note they say our next renewal will be for $119 in August, 2019. Either way, since we use our Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card, which provides a 5% credit for all Amazon purchases, our Prime account has been free if we spend over $2K per year at Amazon and it will still be free after August, 2019 if we spend more than $2.4K per year.

We do as much of our shopping as possible at Amazon, since we value our cost to shop at area stores around $5 per trip, with another $5 cost if we have to return anything (vs. free if we have a problem with any Amazon Prime item). Many of our Amazon purchases are Subscribe and Save, which are typically 15% off their regular prices. We double check Amazon's pricing for most purchases. In total, we easily spend more than $2.4K per year at Amazon.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:21 pm

When it exceeds $100 it passes a mental price barrier that makes it seem expensive. Objectively, we'd pay at least $50 for free shipping, $50 for prime video and $50 for the 5% card so it still easily passes the value test for us.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:30 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:32 pm
We usually receive items within the 2 days. If we notice we don't we call and complain and they give us a free month.
We also started watching the "jack ryan" series on Amazon Prime streaming TV and also use Amazon Prime music sometimes. These three things together (free 2-day shipping + Streaming Video/Music) gives us the value of the membership.
Additional benefits we get I forgot to mention:
1) As someone stated above - 5% purchases with the prime-credit-card.
2) We also shop at Whole Foods - have done so for years before Amazon bought them. Now we get discounts for being a Prime member and 5% off our groceries with the credit card. This probably pays for the membership alone.

Add in Prime-Video, Prime-Music, and free 2-day shipping - its probably the best value of anything I'm paying for.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:03 pm

TresBelle65 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:40 am
A decreasing number of my Amazon shipments arrive in 2 days - and this is not due to the shippers. Upon clicking to pay, I see now most items estimated to arrive in up to 5 days.

I tried to ask why using Chat or Phone, but the reps don't seem to have an answer. They appear to be reading from a script without an ability to discuss beyond scripted sound bites.

I am beginning to question the value of a Prime membership - if I am no longer receiving expedited shipping.

Are you still finding value in paying for a Prime membership?
I have never been a prime subscriber... For a while I was waiting 3-5 days to receive packages.. My last 3 orders have arrived within 2 days, and one of them came the next day. I just place my orders so I hit the amount for free standard shipping. I think their warehouse locations and shipping processes have improved enough to provide quick fulfillment of many orders.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:26 pm

I have a delayed package this evening.

Expected to see it when I returned home from work, it had not arrived no big deal. Checked status and it was in route to be delivered by 9pm.

Checked at 9:30 and it is now promised tomorrow or the following day.

A slight annoyance since it is a product I am out of, but still beats going to the store for everything I need.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:00 pm

Jablean wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:13 pm
My teen is a gamer and wants to watch the Twitch tv channels. Needs Prime membership.
It actually doesn't. You can watch Twitch streams for free, no need for Prime. What Prime gives you is free Twitch channel subscriptions (1 per month). Subscriptions just give you access to Twitch channel emotes and sometimes allows you to use the chat (some streamers have subscriber-only chat). Without Prime you would need to pay for the sub. But anyone can watch any channel on Twitch without subbing or using the Prime membership.

That said, half the value of Prime membership for me is free Twitch Prime subs so yeah Amazon Prime has a lot of value for me (cuz I'm going to sub to my favorite channels anyway).

rolandtorres

Post by rolandtorres » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:56 pm

It's easy enough to test Walmart's free (>$35) 2 day shipping and see if it's an Amazon issue, delivery service issue, or user shopping confusion. I hope Walmart's online inventory keeps growing because whatever they stock is usually what Amazon will price their goods at since it is the typically the cheapest.

denovo

Post by denovo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:30 am

Prime has a lot of value for those who hate shopping in person.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

28fe6

Post by 28fe6 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:46 am

It's not worth it if you simply compare the subscription cost to the shipping savings. However it is worth it for me in the big picture, even probably in monetary terms. With a very busy schedule the convenience saves me time, stress and gasoline. At this point the idea of having to buy everything in a store, or not having the option to buy most things from Prime, is almost absurd. Yes there are other online retailers but not a comparable one. As I buy more things on Amazon I find increasing value in having a searchable order history and yearly spending summaries.

I use the prime Visa card which means the 5 percent discount pays for the subscription fees once you spend $2000-3000 per year on Amazon. I also get some $50 or so discount from my Uber visa.

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:05 am

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:03 pm
I have never been a prime subscriber... For a while I was waiting 3-5 days to receive packages.. My last 3 orders have arrived within 2 days, and one of them came the next day. I just place my orders so I hit the amount for free standard shipping. I think their warehouse locations and shipping processes have improved enough to provide quick fulfillment of many orders.
Not Prime.
5 Amazon warehouses within 30 minutes of my home.
Still have to wait about 5-7 days for deliveries.
Standard pattern as they want to demonstrate how "useful" Prime.
They picked the wrong person, because it only proves their deliberate manipulation of slowing down the shipment itself.

rantk81

Post by rantk81 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:29 am

Very disappointed with Prime Shipping too. I've had a long string of items that were not delivered by their "guaranteed" delivery date. And I live in Chicago... not exactly the middle of nowhere.

One item in particular was supposed to arrive in two days. Over a week after placing the order, it hadn't even left the warehouse (according to their tracking.) I complained, and the rep on the chat told me to "order it again, choose the fastest "one-day" shipping option, and they would reimburse me for the extra shipping up-charge." Well, they did reimburse me for the extra shipping charge, but they charged me twice for the original item, which took 3 more subsequent chat sessions to get them to fix. Big waste of time. Overall, not worth it to me.

The Prime streaming is nice... but I have Netflix already anyway... and I generally don't shop at Whole Foods. My prime membership is up for renewal in December. I'm on the fence about whether or not I renew.

For household items now, I generally just order from Target's website. With the RedCard, they have free shipping, and it is fast -- often faster than Amazon in my area. But Target has their own set of problems too. They don't pack things securely, and if you order big/bulky/heavy items, the heavier items will sometimes destroy other "more fragile" items in the same box. I am careful to order things that I think will "ship nicely" together, because Target hasn't worked out all the kinks with order packing/fulfillment yet.

danaht

Post by danaht » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:36 am

Prime is good if you can get a discounted membership. Wait for Amazon to offer a discount - or use a coupon somewhere else to get a discount. Also, if you are eligible - student Prime memberships are a good value.

chw

Post by chw » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:11 am

I generally don't see the value for our family. We do use Amazon, but usually bucket items to use standard free shipping. Generally don't need items in 2 days, and standard shipping usually arrives in 2-5 days. I guess for TV shows maybe, but already have Netflix, and can only watch one channel at a time...

I recently posted a bad experience with Walmart.com (purchase from a 3rd party seller). I gave them a try again for some general household items, as well as kitchen pantry type items. Surprisingly not only did they have some of the items that Amazon didn't have, but all of the items I was planning to get from Amazon at the same time were priced 15-20% lower than Amazon. The order arrived in 3 days, and shipping was free for an order over $35.

In general, I find Amazon pricing to be fair, but in some cases if you aren't checking pricing against other retailers, you may be overpaying. I find Amazon has had upward price creep over the past 2-3 years, and generally only use Amazon for items that aren't easily found at our local retailers that we frequent.

N1CKV

Post by N1CKV » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:35 am

This thread reminded me, I just went and set a reminder on the account to notify me before the next renewal. I plan to cancel.
I also am seeing way less items available in 2 days, I end up buying a lot of small stuff that I could either skip or wait to order, I do not use Prime Video, I rarely use Prime Music and I don't see any real value in anything else offered.
I have met a lot of people that claim to love money, but they also seem to be the same people that are in the biggest hurry to get rid of it.

28fe6

Post by 28fe6 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:54 am

I recently found that an item I paid $16 for is available at Lowes for $13. I used to always find that things were more expensive in stores, but the opposite is getting more common.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:19 pm

go_mets wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:05 am
tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:03 pm
Not Prime.
5 Amazon warehouses within 30 minutes of my home.
Still have to wait about 5-7 days for deliveries.
Standard pattern as they want to demonstrate how "useful" Prime.
They picked the wrong person, because it only proves their deliberate manipulation of slowing down the shipment itself.

HAHA True! I think some how I've just been getting lucky... I know usually they are just holding it up... wanting me to see value in paying for prime for faster service.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:47 am

GoldStar wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:30 pm
Additional benefits we get I forgot to mention:
1) As someone stated above - 5% purchases with the prime-credit-card.
To be fair, if you use the Prime Credit Card but don't actually subscribe to Prime, you still get 3% cash-back on Amazon and Whole Foods purchases.

So the Prime subscription benefit is really just that extra 2%.

Which is still a nice perk, and worth taking into account when calculating value. Still, someone would have to spend $6,000 a year at Amazon and Whole Foods to break even on the cost of Prime if that extra 2% was all they were in it for.

(As an aside, the Prime Card is actually a pretty nice card in and of itself. No annual fee. 1-2% cash-back on non-Amazon/WF purchases. No foreign transaction fees. Built-in car rental insurance, etc.)
Stay on target...

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:50 am

With the price increase, I am considering dropping it. I don't use Prime Video or any of the other features other than shipping. I don't shop at Whole Foods. I also believe the ability to order and get things quickly 1) make me shop around less and 2) buy things I don't really need. If I really need something I can wait a week or go to a local store if it is an emergency.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:39 pm

Costco has stepped up their game. I ordered some items online yesterday after noon. Received them about 5:30PM today. On their website they offered two-day shipping if order placed by noon. So they really turned that order around quickly.

That was PDQ!

I'm near two Amazon warehouses, so I'm not having late shipment for Prime items. Sometimes a marketplace order supposedly offering Prime shipping arrives a day late.

Overall, I am still happy with Amazon Prime. Works for me. After I finish watching a couple of series last episodes on Netflix, I will most likely drop Netflix for awhile. I can't watch enough stuff to justify having Amazon Prime AND Netflix.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:01 am

I am literally on the phone right now, because I thought this thread was crazy, but prime items are now taking 5-7 days as well. This is baloney. Will let you know what I hear.

ETA: Apparently they are blaming fulfillment center in hurricane area. Will be interesting to see if this resolves in a few weeks.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:03 am

I know that the plural of "anecdote" is not "data", but...

I ordered a Prime-eligible item from Amazon this past Monday at about 6:30 in the evening. Cost me a whopping $6.02.

It shipped from an Amazon warehouse in Texas, and routed through the UPS hub in Louisville.

It was waiting for me yesterday when I got home, less than 48 hours after buying it.

:sharebeer
Stay on target...

beastykato

Post by beastykato » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:39 pm

Prime has been going down the tubes for some time now.

We purchase a lot of video games. I used to play a lot before adulting and the kids now play. They always had the best price on games, but have lost of the advantage there for pre-release discounts and release date delivery.

They started making prime members have to watch commercials on twitch.

They have cracked down on the shipping saver credits and you can't really buy anything with them anymore.

Prime music continues to shrink and have stuff moved over to the pay version.

Primes food service is expensive and mostly junk food.

Prime Video has a few very good shows on it, but for the most part the movies on it are awful and it doesn't even hold a candle to Hulu or Netflix. You could get prime for one month and binge watch the good shows and then drop it.

Amazon has a lot more scammy sellers and fake reviews than it used too. Many of the items simply aren't respectable anymore although Amazon is usually pretty good about returning them.

Discover and Chase often have 5% back on Amazon during the best times of the year to have it, like around Black Friday and Christmas. So, that mitigates a lot of value from the 5% credit card. Or I can just buy 6% off Amazon gift cards with my AMEX.

Amazon devices operate on an extremely limited ecosystem unless you sideload Google Play onto the device so you can actually use it like a real android device. Otherwise, their tablets and stuff are pure ecosystem soul sucking gimmicks.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:43 pm

Two items that were supposed to arrive today are arriving tomorrow. Did I have to have them today? No. However, there seems to be a trend of this. If X shipments per year are late, your membership should be free. Yes, I can call or chat and complain, but that gets old. I think I am going to cancel before my next renewal. As I said above, I don't need most things that fast.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:46 pm

denovo wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:30 am
Prime has a lot of value for those who hate shopping in person.
And for those of us that hate "persons" lol

Momus

Post by Momus » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:56 pm

Never have prime membership. Never needed it. Prime = more consumption on useless junk, the stats back this up.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:59 pm

I tried Prime for a year and didn't get my money's worth, so I dropped it. I haven't missed it. Every time I shop at Whole Foods now, the cashier asks if I'm a Prime member, and I politely say no.

Kalo

Post by Kalo » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:50 pm

I've never tried Prime. I do order occasionally from Amazon, but really I don't buy a lot of stuff other than groceries, or service on my car or haircuts, which Amazon can't provide. I did order an external CD ROM/DVD drive last Saturday, from Amazon, and it arrived on Sunday, the next day, in the evening. It was so late before I noticed it was at the delivery locker that I didn't even go get it until Monday. It was over the $25 threshold for free shipping, which I took advantage of. The estimated delivery date was for something like 7 to 10 days after order I think. Maybe not quite that long. So I was very surprised it arrived so fast. I didn't need it urgently at all so I wouldn't have minded waiting. But it shows that at least on occasion, just using the free shipping on orders over the threshold is plenty good enough.

I doubt I'll ever use Prime. I've had a philosophy for years that I try not to prepay anything I don't absolutely have to. Some things you have to, like insurance. But most of the time you prepay for something, you are taking a considerable risk that you'll never use it, or you will use it but you would not have used it if you had not prepaid for it. Or the company you paid simply went out of business. Or you forgot all about the fact that you bought burial plots for you and your wife fifty years ago, and you don't even live near that area any more.

I also have noticed that pricing on Amazon is in no way guaranteed to be competitive. I even bought something at the bricks and mortar auto parts store the other day (a special type of key chain), and it was considerably cheaper than any of the online prices I checked, and it came with two sets instead of the one that was being offered online. When I checked the pricing online, all the offerings seemed kind of high to me, so I just took a chance and drove over to the local store.

I think that one thing technology can't change is the fact that you have to shop around if you want to be sure you are getting a competitive price. Pricing is all over the map. I bought an indoor thermometer the other day at Walmart, and the guy up front told me they probably only had a few left because of the time of year. I'm not sure I understand what time of year people tend to buy indoor thermometers, but OK. So I head back to the area, and they did only have a few left, but they were marked way down. Got a digital one for $2.50 that comes with a second unit you can hang outside that reports back to the main unit in your home so you can also see the outdoor temp as well.

Also, I tend to like to order online items to be picked up at the local bricks and mortar store near me, which is something Amazon can't really do. I do this through Walmart and Kohl's quite often. It's especially nice with clothing that you're not really sure will fit. I like shopping online, but I like returning items to the store. By doing this at Walmart, you are basically expanding their inventory. Things you could never find in their store, you can still order through their web site, and just run over and pick it up when it arrives there. I don't really like having things delivered to my house. With Amazon I use the lockers for delivery. I'm out and about in my car all the time. I can always swing by the lockers at the local grocery store to get my Amazon delivery, or the Walmart or Kohl's as the case may be. But with Amazon, returning items involves shipping, which I don't want to be hassled with.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:55 pm

It's a "time is money" thing. I can order a USB cable at midnight and it will arrive by noon the next day, usually. And I live in rural Japan. My time can be better spent writing a blog post or promoting something for my business. That convenience becomes addictive.

The added bonus is Amazon Prime Video, which is not nearly as good as Netflix, but has some good stuff and is "free" once you've bought Prime. (Or once your company has bought Prime, which is even better.)

fauxden

Post by fauxden » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:33 am

dropped prime at the last price hike. Honestly, we haven't really missed it at all. I notice our spending on items from amazon has decrease quite a bit. Makes me wonder how many of those amazon purchases we needed vs it was easy and we ordered it. In fact, i previously would follow slickdeal prime deal quite a bit. If I saw an item I thought was a good deal I would buy. Now, without prime, I don't follow those deals and we don't have near the # of packages sitting on our doorstep when I get home from work...which I think is a good thing.

NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:22 am

We do get value out of Prime. In addition to multiple deliveries each month we use Prime Video, Prime Music and Whole Foods discounts.

In the past year I needed an extension pole for a ceiling fan install. Home Depot wanted $53 for shipping. That alone was almost 50% of the annual fee. Also bought swordfish from WF with an $8 discount per pound (total of $24 in savings).

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:46 am

N1CKV wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:35 am
This thread reminded me, I just went and set a reminder on the account to notify me before the next renewal. I plan to cancel.
I also am seeing way less items available in 2 days, I end up buying a lot of small stuff that I could either skip or wait to order, I do not use Prime Video, I rarely use Prime Music and I don't see any real value in anything else offered.
Just go in now to your account settings and turn off auto renewal. No need to wait or set reminders.

Dottie57

Re: Amazonu Prime - Value?

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:52 am

I just paid for Amazon Prime for first time. I bought a ladder and shipping was high so I caved. I like faster shipping. I also like Amazon Prime streaming tv. Different selections than Netflix. So this is metter value than I expected.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:01 pm

Momus wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:56 pm
Never have prime membership. Never needed it. Prime = more consumption on useless junk, the stats back this up.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Statistically you also spend more money if you shop with credit cards versus cash - but that doesn't stop me from using credit cards either.
I just make sure I'm not part of the statistic.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:23 pm

Reading this thread, I'm starting to think I must be a real spendthrift. Cancelling your subscription for a $20 annual increase? The other day, wife and I stopped into a wine bar, and had two glasses of wine. With tax and tip ~$33.

Regarding the video service, I get lots of use out of it. Last few months, watching Suits, then Jack Ryan, then Expanse. We have Netflix too, but the content is different between the two options. I've cancelled HBO in the past, but that's $180 a year.

Momus

Post by Momus » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:27 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:01 pm
Momus wrote:

Statistically you also spend more money if you shop with credit cards versus cash - but that doesn't stop me from using credit cards either.
If you have prime, you WILL spend more at Amazon. Guaranteed. Vs. Someone who doesn't have one.

I spent about $700 total for the last 6 yrs at Amazon. Cheaper stuff else where.

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:08 pm

Still a prime member but find I am purchasing more at Walmart and Costco. I am also becoming increasingly dubious about purchasing some items from Prime due to counterfeit products. In some reviews products are reported falling apart and getting a high percentage one star rating. Just recently purchased a Speck presidio grip case for iPhone Xs at a local store for $12 more than Prime. I could touch, see, fit the phone in and judge the quality before buying. This was an item that had the latter complaints. In addition, it came with a lifetime warranty from Speck when purchased through their approved dealers.

YB
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:37 pm

Momus wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:27 pm
GoldStar wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:01 pm
Momus wrote:

If you have prime, you WILL spend more at Amazon. Guaranteed. Vs. Someone who doesn't have one.

I spent about $700 total for the last 6 yrs at Amazon. Cheaper stuff else where.
I absolutely spend more with Amazon since I have Prime. But I don't buy any "useless junk" - only necessities.
In return I spend less at many other stores as well as less time on gas and time to travel to stores.
I also get to enjoy free streaming music, streaming documentaries and TV shows and movies. Great deal.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:41 pm

Artful Dodger wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:23 pm
Reading this thread, I'm starting to think I must be a real spendthrift. Cancelling your subscription for a $20 annual increase? The other day, wife and I stopped into a wine bar, and had two glasses of wine. With tax and tip ~$33.
$20 is the difference (increase), not the cost. It costs $119/yr now. When I first stated it was $79 and stayed at that price for around 9 years.

rj49

Post by rj49 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:19 pm

No, I wasn’t at all so cancelled. Whatever value you get will be wiped out by unnecessary purchases. I spend much less since I cancelled, and the $25 threshold for free shipping makes me spend more mindfully. Plus their 5-day shipping comes to me through USPS during the day when Ikm home, whereas 2-day ones would be with UPS at odd times, so I had more fears of stolen packages. Prime members are the high spenders Amazon needs to justify their high stock price, and I don’t want to be lured and used by their shipping, video service, and other treats and temptations to get me to overspend. The same was true of Costco for me, I bought too much stuff I didn’t need, so I had to simply not go there.