Life Insurance

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
achilles

Life Insurance

Post by achilles » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:08 pm

Hi,
I am 40 years old and wife 34 years old. We are looking to get Life Insurance. Our companies provide them but the prices are very high.
Any suggestions on where we can get good life insurance?

Thank you

UniversityEmployee9

Re: Life Insurance

Post by UniversityEmployee9 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:27 pm

https://term4sale.com is great for comparing rates.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:52 pm

We went with Banner Life a few years ago in our mid and early 30's. Very cheap, though we did classify for the top class.

Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:21 pm

I went to protective about 1.5 years ago. $250K for $21/mo. Blood pressure and cholesterol issues... 20 year term

My advice is to get a policy away from work...

BL

Post by BL » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:54 am

Agree to check that website so you know what it should cost assuming you are healthy. You may want to find an independent insurance broker who will check with various companies to get competitive LEVEL TERM insurance. A captive broker will only try to sell you with the one company he works for, and may try to switch you to expensive permanent life insurance where he gets a big commission.

achilles

Post by achilles » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:05 pm

Thank you all for the input.

One of my friends suggested https://www.zanderins.com/ Anyone have any experience with this site?

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:21 pm

achilles wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:05 pm
Thank you all for the input.

One of my friends suggested https://www.zanderins.com/ Anyone have any experience with this site?
I have bought through Zander Insurance. Good folks, good service. I would recommend, and would use them again.

Zander website is easy to navigate, and gives quotes from multiple companies quickly.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

MrsBDG

Post by MrsBDG » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:11 pm

www.Term4sale.com will connect you with three different agents who should each give you their recommendation as the best option for your age, amount of coverage, and health/lifestyle situation, you can then decide which agent you prefer

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:40 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:52 pm
We went with Banner Life a few years ago in our mid and early 30's. Very cheap, though we did classify for the top class.
My wife got a very inexpensive Banner policy years ago. Mine is with Western & Southern Life, and they call me every year to check up on how things are going. It's very inexpensive as well.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

achilles

Post by achilles » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:58 am

I finalized life insurance from Term4Sale (Protective) but still shopping for my wife's life insurance. She is diabetic. Are there any diabetic friendly life insurance companies? The quotes I got a quite high.

Thank you,

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:04 pm

achilles wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:58 am
I finalized life insurance from Term4Sale (Protective) but still shopping for my wife's life insurance. She is diabetic. Are there any diabetic friendly life insurance companies? The quotes I got a quite high.

Thank you,
A good independent broker should be able to shop for term insurance thru specific companies for a particular health concern. You may try giving Zander Insurance a call also.

BruDude

Post by BruDude » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:19 pm

achilles wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:58 am

Thank you,
Depends on her age of onset, insulin use or oral meds only, her A1C reading, any complication history, etc. Prudential and American General are usually good with diabetics but it all depends on the details. Quotes are meaningless until you get an offer of coverage. "Quite high" is relative - she is diabetic, so they will be high relative to a healthy person. If she uses insulin or has an A1C over 7.0, she's probably going to get a substandard health rating which means an extra premium charge. Each additional "table" is about an extra 25% in premium with most companies, i.e. Table 2 = Standard rates + 50%, Table 4 = Standard rates + 100%, etc.

MrsBDG

Post by MrsBDG » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:38 pm

I agree with the above, American General is one of the best with diabetics and rated policies. A well-controlled average diabetic is going to get table B-D, usually 50-100% higher premium than standard rates. AG seems to offer some better rated options as long as the underlying base rate is competitive at her profile.

Important factors for a diabetic app: any blood glucose or A1C irregularities, any protein or sugar in the urine; any Hx of vision issues, neuropathy, kidney problems, cardiac issues, etc. Essentially how well-controlled is it and how well-controlled has it been.

Age of onset and current age are also critical, because diabetes can cause issues in so many other systems, the younger one is Dx and the younger you are at the time of application, the higher the table rating.

BruDude

Post by BruDude » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:12 pm

MrsBDG wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:38 pm
I agree with the above, American General is one of the best with diabetics and rated policies. A well-controlled average diabetic is going to get table B-D, usually 50-100% higher premium than standard rates. AG seems to offer some better rated options as long as the underlying base rate is competitive at her profile.

Important factors for a diabetic app: any blood glucose or A1C irregularities, any protein or sugar in the urine; any Hx of vision issues, neuropathy, kidney problems, cardiac issues, etc. Essentially how well-controlled is it and how well-controlled has it been.

Age of onset and current age are also critical, because diabetes can cause issues in so many other systems, the younger one is Dx and the younger you are at the time of application, the higher the table rating.
Well-controlled diabetes with oral meds only can get Standard with most companies, possibly Standard-Plus with Prudential....but most people with diabetes have other complicating factors or aren't well-controlled.