iPhone XS Max

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bankerbilo

Re: iPhone XS Max

Post by bankerbilo »

Here is a comparison of different sizes:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dm68Kk1W0AEY2UF.jpg

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

For me and my family - no thanks.

But I'm sure they'll sell millions of copies :wink:
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Nope, nope and nope. The most un-Boglehead phone ever (until the next one comes out)...
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I dont get the newest iphone craze, everyone has to have it.

I have been using a 6S for 2 yrs and it works great. My mom has an iphone 8, I can’t tell the difference between my phone and hers. Same size, same operating system, etc.

I typically pay $200 for a new phone every couple of years. I bought the 6S when the iphone 8 released. Prices always drop on older models when a new model releases.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

StevieG72 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:38 pm I dont get the newest iphone craze, everyone has to have it.

I have been using a 6S for 2 yrs and it works great. My mom has an iphone 8, I can’t tell the difference between my phone and hers. Same size, same operating system, etc.

I typically pay $200 for a new phone every couple of years. I bought the 6S when the iphone 8 released. Prices always drop on older models when a new model releases.
I guess it depends on what you do with your "phone" and how often you do it. If you mainly make calls, then yeah, cheap is fine. But if you use it as a computer all day, then the incremental improvements can be well worth $1000 or $1500 a year or every two years. I wish new car upgrades could be that cheap. Warren Buffett is right...there's huge utility and value in a $1500 iPhone.
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

H-Town wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:27 pm
Leesbro63 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:48 pm As many of you remember, I bought an iPhoneX last year to replace my old iPhone7Plus. I have been disappointed in the size of this phone, as compared to the older, more robust ("bigger") PLUS phone. It's hard t read with the X but I had no trouble doing so on my 7Plus.

OK, so I'm willing to suck it up and pay the juice for a new iPhoneXSMAX. How will the size compare to the iPhone 7PLUS? And when can I get it?
iPhoneXSMAX is a mouth full. Can we just call it iPhone?

It's big enough you might as well carry around a tablet. My 7 is almost too big once I put an Otterbox on it, I can't imagine these giant +max,whatever phones.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

brokendirtdart wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:24 pm
H-Town wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:27 pm
Leesbro63 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:48 pm As many of you remember, I bought an iPhoneX last year to replace my old iPhone7Plus. I have been disappointed in the size of this phone, as compared to the older, more robust ("bigger") PLUS phone. It's hard t read with the X but I had no trouble doing so on my 7Plus.

OK, so I'm willing to suck it up and pay the juice for a new iPhoneXSMAX. How will the size compare to the iPhone 7PLUS? And when can I get it?
iPhoneXSMAX is a mouth full. Can we just call it iPhone?

It's big enough you might as well carry around a tablet. My 7 is almost too big once I put an Otterbox on it, I can't imagine these giant +max,whatever phones.
Apparently not. Read the prior posts. It's the same physical size as the well-established/accepted iPhone 7Plus and 8Plus.
Last edited by Leesbro63 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Addition: I guess these should be called "Excess Plus" or "Tennis Plus" phones.
rantk81

Post by rantk81 »

Hah. I guess I'm fortunate that I prefer android phones over iphones. Almost 3 years since I got this nexus 6p. Still works great. Will go for one more year... and I guess I'll look at whatever the Pixel offerings are for the fall of next year.... maybe. :P
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

charis23 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:31 pm I'm probably going to go with a certified refurbished 7 or 7 Plus for my wife and I. Need to upgrade our 3 year old iPhone 6.

If you're planning on buying an iPhone (or anything from Apple), you can use get 1.2% cashback if you use Acorns. For some reason the offer only shows up via the mobile app (but not in a browser).
+1 My wife drowned her iPhone 6 (pre-waterproof model) a few weeks ago, and she's been limping along with a half-functional phone and a borrowed iphone 5 since then. With the new models out and the old model prices dropping, I'm going to order her a refurbished 7 or 7 Plus as soon as she gets home and tells me which size and color she wants.

I currently have an iPhone 7 issued by my employer. I do not have a personal phone. I just use my work phone for everything. I will probably be getting an upgrade in January, probably to an Xr.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I think the XR is going to sell HUGE. 98% of the utility of the XS for 75% of the price.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

everyone is saying the price is too high, but who actually pays the full price??? I got my IPhone 4 for I think $200 when it was first on Verizon, traded that phone for the IPhone 6 when the 6 came out and got a $400 credit for my IPhone 4 that I only paid $200 for then, I phone 7 came out and I was having a batter issue with my 6, and got $650 trade in value for the IPhone 7 Plus cost of $800, so I think all in I paid $200 or less for each new phone.... I will wait until there is pre-order and another trade in deal like these or else I will wait to the upgrade year, not the "s" year next year.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I’m done with iPhones for good. The Androids are just as good and there are far more options for far less $$$.

Still like my iPad, though.

JT
Mlm

Post by Mlm »

One Option: Apple Announces New Trade-In Offer For Customers To Exchange Their Old iPhones

https://www.theonion.com/apple-announce ... 1829001894
Mary
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

kjvmartin wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:50 pm I do not understand how Apple can continue to raise prices like this, and I'm a huge Apple fan going on 20 years.
Because there seems to be a nearly infinite supply of rich Apple fans who can afford to spend $1000+ every year for incremental improvements, as well as a nearly infinite supply of people who would be rich if they didn't spend $1000+ every year for the latest status symbol.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

What about the slogan: Don't keep up with the Joneses?
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

Leesbro63 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:17 pm
StevieG72 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:38 pm I dont get the newest iphone craze, everyone has to have it.

I guess it depends on what you do with your "phone" and how often you do it. If you mainly make calls, then yeah, cheap is fine. But if you use it as a computer all day, then the incremental improvements can be well worth $1000 or $1500 a year or every two years. I wish new car upgrades could be that cheap. Warren Buffett is right...there's huge utility and value in a $1500 iPhone.
Unless you're gaming, or a serious photographer, any of the iPhones apple sells currently (7,8,Xs, Xr, Xs Max) will be perfectly suitable. I work in tech, use my phone constantly, but i'm using it mostly for text, email and calls. The iPhone 7 does those things flawlessly, and with iOS 12, its more snappy than it was with iOS 11. Just because I use my phone for a few hours a day and its crucial to my work, doesn't mean I need to run out get $300 credit to trade in my iPhone 7 then pay $1.1k for the iPhone Xs. Sure it's a better phone and has a better screen, but its probably $100-200 better, not $800 better.

The extra performance will really only be noticeable in gaming and only with the most graphic intensive games. Candy crush will run fine on any of them. The improve camera is probably worth it too for people who use that a lot and have enough of an eye to tell the difference.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

ssquared87 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:58 pm
Leesbro63 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:17 pm

Unless you're gaming, or a serious photographer, any of the iPhones apple sells currently (7,8,Xs, Xr, Xs Max) will be perfectly suitable. I work in tech, use my phone constantly, but i'm using it mostly for text, email and calls. The iPhone 7 does those things flawlessly, and with iOS 12, its more snappy than it was with iOS 11. Just because I use my phone for a few hours a day and its crucial to my work, doesn't mean I need to run out get $300 credit to trade in my iPhone 7 then pay $1.1k for the iPhone Xs. Sure it's a better phone and has a better screen, but its probably $100-200 better, not $800 better.

The extra performance will really only be noticeable in gaming and only with the most graphic intensive games. Candy crush will run fine on any of them. The improve camera is probably worth it too for people who use that a lot and have enough of an eye to tell the difference.
The camera is a big sell for someone with kids. We have family photos dating back to about 2012 in iCloud Photos. It's interesting to scroll through and see how they get better every couple years. The pictures from 2012 are noticeably lower quality than 2018. This is what generally compels us onward in the smartphone upgrade cycle. I try to imagine in 10 years what the pictures taken today will look like next to a new camera then.
thatme

Post by thatme »

Texanbybirth wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:32 pm
thatme wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:22 pm
theplayer11 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:07 pm
thatme wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:06 pm My two-year old 8 Plus (I think, whatever was introduced two years ago) is due for an upgrade, largely due to the poor battery life. I have to recharge multiple times throughout the day. I'm definitely a heavy user for work, but don't watch movies or anything on it. Under the "battery health" in settings I'm down to 84%, which doesn't seem good for a device that isn't even two years old. I'll likely trade in for the new Max in a few months.
why not just get a new battery?
I might consider it, but given my how much I use my phone and how I can likely trade this one in for at least 1/2 the price of the new one, it's probably worth it to me. As someone noted above, my phone is easily the device I use the most often throughout the day/week, far more than my car or any other device.
Honest question: more than your computer (desktop/laptop)? Trust me, I'd be looking for every reason to upgrade to the newer phones if I could afford it. :beer

(I also think you have a 7+, not an 8+, since the 8+ is only a little over a year old.)
I bet you're right, I've had my phone for nearly two years now. And yes, I probably use my phone more than my computer. I'm an attorney and the more senior I get, the more I'm in meetings, going from here to there, and I don't find that I'm just sitting at my desk all day much any longer. One of the partners I work for exclusively uses his phone and iPad, hasn't touched his computer in over a year. If there's something he can't do on the ipad (not much IMO), he can ask me to do it. Voila, problem solved, ha!
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

I'll probably get one. I'll check it out and see before I decide. What I'm looking for is

a) does it really feel the same as my current iPhone 8 Plus in the hand (it seems to be the same size)
b) is "horizontal mode" improved? It seems cool in practice, use your phone like an iPad mini and get some serious work done, but only a few apps support horizontal mode (email, contacts, web browsers).
c) I have terrible presbyopia, and can't read small text. Are there any improvements, like a "large mode" that's in all iPhones (but seems to not be a thing in the iPhone X)?
d) how much will I enjoy the better selfie camera?

In general it looks great. I am happy to own a ton of APPL too.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Texanbybirth wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:32 pm
thatme wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:22 pm
theplayer11 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:07 pm
thatme wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:06 pm My two-year old 8 Plus (I think, whatever was introduced two years ago) is due for an upgrade, largely due to the poor battery life. I have to recharge multiple times throughout the day. I'm definitely a heavy user for work, but don't watch movies or anything on it. Under the "battery health" in settings I'm down to 84%, which doesn't seem good for a device that isn't even two years old. I'll likely trade in for the new Max in a few months.
why not just get a new battery?
I might consider it, but given my how much I use my phone and how I can likely trade this one in for at least 1/2 the price of the new one, it's probably worth it to me. As someone noted above, my phone is easily the device I use the most often throughout the day/week, far more than my car or any other device.
Honest question: more than your computer (desktop/laptop)? Trust me, I'd be looking for every reason to upgrade to the newer phones if I could afford it. :beer

(I also think you have a 7+, not an 8+, since the 8+ is only a little over a year old.)
I don’t know about thatme, but I am using my phone 8-12 hours a day. Granted, some of that time is just using it to play audio in the background. ( I have thought about getting a blue tooth keyboard for my phone.)
Momus

Post by Momus »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PxuM4m11uw

Sum up iPhone pretty much... I couldn't believe the release today lmao... -_-; Notch Notch Notch every where, and damn bezel on the sides. $75 if you want a fast charger hahaha! Fast charger is free for any other Android phones they offer since 2013 for a quick charger 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0. Typical move by Apple to charge as much as the market will bear. Welcome to 2013 Apple.

Unboxtherapy and SuperSaf TV do a better job reviewing, pretty much about the same of flagships but cost about $100-200 more with lack of customization Android can offer.
grettman

Post by grettman »

FIBoston wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:58 pm here's a helpful place i like to go to any time a new iPhone is released. Lot's of good stuff here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=iphone+xs+max
In every thread there is that *guy* and in this thread that is you!
jadd806

Post by jadd806 »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:00 pm I think the XR is going to sell HUGE. 98% of the utility of the XS for 75% of the price.
But how can I show that I'm rich, successful, and better than you if I don't have the golden iPhone XS Max? The XR is clearly for poor people.

Anybody who cares enough about specs to know that the XR/XS are nearly identical under the hood, or who cares about value has been on Android for half a decade or more. That's not the market they're gunning for here.

Truly a genius move by Apple in fragmenting their product offerings. They no longer have to balance their image of being a premium product with setting the price too high such that they scare off all the old people who want a phone that "just works." There will likely be a huge influx of the latter customers to the XR who are frustrated with Samsung's TouchWiz bloatware. Meanwhile they can simultaneously exploit the status symbol dummies for every last cent with the XS product line.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

jadd806 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:39 am
lazydavid wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:00 pm I think the XR is going to sell HUGE. 98% of the utility of the XS for 75% of the price.
But how can I show that I'm rich, successful, and better than you if I don't have the golden iPhone XS Max? The XR is clearly for poor people.

Anybody who cares enough about specs to know that the XR/XS are nearly identical under the hood, or who cares about value has been on Android for half a decade or more. That's not the market they're gunning for here.

Truly a genius move by Apple in fragmenting their product offerings. They no longer have to balance their image of being a premium product with setting the price too high such that they scare off all the old people who want a phone that "just works." There will likely be a huge influx of the latter customers to the XR who are frustrated with Samsung's TouchWiz bloatware. Meanwhile they can simultaneously exploit the status symbol dummies for every last cent with the XS product line.
So what else is new? Wasn't the Coupe DeVille just a Chevy Impala with nicer trim?
knpstr

Post by knpstr »

Alexa9 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:54 pm Most electronics get cheaper over time: Cameras, TV's, Computers, etc. Apple is trying to reinvent the wheel and most people don't need these features (AR and Facial Recognition/Animojis). Same with cars to some degree with the overkill safety and tech features. I want quality and aesthetics but most people don't need unnecessary experimental features or an A12 Bionic Chip to check their email. I find it comical.
Are 80" 4K TVs cheaper than 20" tube TVs?

Certainly if you feel you don't need the features there are plenty of other phones that offer less "cutting edge tech" and are considerably cheaper.
Some people want a Kia, some want a Bugatti. Who needs a car that can go over 200 mph for their 3 mile commute on a 35 mph speed limit road?

Obviously Apple is trying to keep itself as a "luxury" brand. That strategy you find "comical" (extremely high profit margins) has made it into a $1T+ company at a 20 p/e.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
bgf

Post by bgf »

Leesbro63 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:54 pm
kjvmartin wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:50 pm The keynote just ended.

$1100 for the cheapest iPhone Xs Max at 64 gigabytes of storage. It looks to be negligibly larger in form than a "Plus" model.

I do not understand how Apple can continue to raise prices like this, and I'm a huge Apple fan going on 20 years. You can pre order 9/14 and release date is 9/21.
How can they keep raising prices? Easy...supply and demand. OK, so I'll end up spending $1600 for a maxed out Max with AppleCare and tax, etc. As Warren Buffett recently mentioned, it provides more value than a private jet. That $1600 will be one of the highest value expenses I'll make this year. And you may not realize it, but thank you for answering my unstated question, which was "will the iPhoneXMax be TOO big?". Similar to the old PLUS is exactly what I want.
buffett owns A LOT of apple stock :wink:
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

knpstr wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:20 am Are 80" 4K TVs cheaper than 20" tube TVs?
Complete strawman considering nothing even remotely resembling the latter has been available new for over a decade at this point. More saliently, I paid half as much for a 49" Sony 4k Smart TV as I did the no-name 37" 1080p monitor it replaced. So yes, technology tends to get better and cheaper. Unless it's designed in Cupertino.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

knpstr wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:20 am
Alexa9 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:54 pm Most electronics get cheaper over time: Cameras, TV's, Computers, etc. Apple is trying to reinvent the wheel and most people don't need these features (AR and Facial Recognition/Animojis). Same with cars to some degree with the overkill safety and tech features. I want quality and aesthetics but most people don't need unnecessary experimental features or an A12 Bionic Chip to check their email. I find it comical.
Are 80" 4K TVs cheaper than 20" tube TVs?

Certainly if you feel you don't need the features there are plenty of other phones that offer less "cutting edge tech" and are considerably cheaper.
Some people want a Kia, some want a Bugatti. Who needs a car that can go over 200 mph for their 3 mile commute on a 35 mph speed limit road?

Obviously Apple is trying to keep itself as a "luxury" brand. That strategy you find "comical" (extremely high profit margins) has made it into a $1T+ company at a 20 p/e.
Camera is compelling feature to me. It should be better in 5 years or so when I buy. I hope there are new iPads coming soon. The iPad s the device I use most of all.
jadd806

Post by jadd806 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:08 am

So what else is new? Wasn't the Coupe DeVille just a Chevy Impala with nicer trim?
Sorry, that reference is a little before my time. :shock:

I wasn't saying it was a new idea by any means, just that it was a smart idea. Around the time of the iPhone 6 it was clear that they were struggling to balance their product image while trying to expand into the mid-end pricing area of the market. The iPhone 5C was a total flop at accomplishing this. Selling last year's model to cover that segment of the market just doesn't appeal to most people. The iPhone SE did a decent job of this but I think the XR will be Apple's most successful attempt by far at expanding their market share.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

bgf wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 am

$1100 for the cheapest iPhone Xs Max at 64 gigabytes of storage. It looks to be negligibly larger in form than a "Plus" model.

I do not understand how Apple can continue to raise prices like this, and I'm a huge Apple fan going on 20 years. You can pre order 9/14 and release date is 9/21.
How can they keep raising prices? Easy...supply and demand. OK, so I'll end up spending $1600 for a maxed out Max with AppleCare and tax, etc. As Warren Buffett recently mentioned, it provides more value than a private jet. That $1600 will be one of the highest value expenses I'll make this year. And you may not realize it, but thank you for answering my unstated question, which was "will the iPhoneXMax be TOO big?". Similar to the old PLUS is exactly what I want.
You're implying that he's just huckstering his product. I'm implying that's why he bought the product maker! ;)
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

jadd806 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:35 am
Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:08 am

Sorry, that reference is a little before my time. :shock:

I wasn't saying it was a new idea by any means, just that it was a smart idea. Around the time of the iPhone 6 it was clear that they were struggling to balance their product image while trying to expand into the mid-end pricing area of the market. The iPhone 5C was a total flop at accomplishing this. Selling last year's model to cover that segment of the market just doesn't appeal to most people. The iPhone SE did a decent job of this but I think the XR will be Apple's most successful attempt by far at expanding their market share.
How about this one: Isn't the Lexus ES350 just a Toyota Camry with nicer trim?
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 am
knpstr wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:20 am Are 80" 4K TVs cheaper than 20" tube TVs?
Complete strawman considering nothing even remotely resembling the latter has been available new for over a decade at this point. More saliently, I paid half as much for a 49" Sony 4k Smart TV as I did the no-name 37" 1080p monitor it replaced. So yes, technology tends to get better and cheaper. Unless it's designed in Cupertino.
How about comparing the inflation adjusted prices of the current 4KTV with my dad's first 1964 RCA color TV. I think it was about $500 at the time...about $4100 in today's dollars.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:51 am How about this one: Isn't the Lexus ES350 just a Toyota Camry with nicer trim?
No.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:06 am
Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:51 am How about this one: Isn't the Lexus ES350 just a Toyota Camry with nicer trim?
No.
Hey, I tried! 8-)
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:10 am
No.
Hey, I tried! 8-)
There was a time that it would have been a true statement, but that was just about a decade ago at this point. The past two generations have been a Toyota Avalon with nicer trim. :mrgreen:
wabbajack

Post by wabbajack »

Edit: I guess these should be called "Excess Plus" or "Tennis Plus" phones
I bought the iPhone X as well to replace my not even 1-year-old iPhone 7 and have been nothing but happy with it. Before you rush out and get the new bigger model, have you considered increasing the text size / scale on your iPhone X? I just read through the release of the iPhone XS, and it seems there really isn't much to justify upgrading from my current iPhone X. (Unless you really want that screen size, in which case your decision is already made)

As for all the Apple haters, let me put this in perspective for you. How many hours a day do you use your phone? How many different functions do you utilize? I used to be one of those people who said "I can get an Android phone that does 80% of the iPhone at 50% of the price" or something along those lines. And then I bought an iPhone in 2016 because Google discontinued the Nexus line of phones. Now I can't understand why it took me this long to use the iPhone. Except I do, and that was its price.

People get way too caught up about the price of the iPhone. Let me put it this way. Either it makes sense for you or it doesn't. If you use your phone (read: portable computer) for many different things like I do - thousands of pictures, global navigation, news aggregator, etc. - then $1000 is trivial.
aquaman

Post by aquaman »

Personally, I am completely agnostic to various ecosystems out there, and tend to purchase a flagship that offers the best value in my situation.

When it comes to flagship phones, it's actually not universally true that Android offers the best value, although, I suppose, it depends on what you mean by "value." Depending on your phone carrier, plan and the overall situation, it has actually been quite common to buy brand new flagship iphones at 50% or less of their "official" pricing. The same is true for most flagship Androids as well. When you account for this discounted pricing, depending on the time of year and the particular special, it's actually not uncommon to have brand new flagship iphones selling at a slightly lower price than brand new flagship Androids. Iphones tend to maintain their values better down the road, so, when you account for those, at least in financial terms iphones can actually represent a better value.

The technical hardware specs tend to be better in Androids, but because of Apple's optimization, these better hardware specs do not tend to translate into better long term customer experience. Hence, it's common for Android users holding on to older phones to complain about lagging and the like, which is not really something that plagues iphones en masse. Having said that, depending on how important larger oled screens, headphone jack and the like are to you, Android phones can certainly represent a better value in your situation.

I know that people in this thread are focusing on the pricing of the Xs Max (even though very few people will actually pay those list prices), but, even when you forget about the price differential, for a lot of people the Xr will actually represent a better phone. Sure, the Xr's screen is full active LCD and not oled, but for a lot of people it makes very little, if any, difference. On the other hand, the Xr's battery life will be the best of the three, which can make a huge difference to people. The Xs and Xs Max will have slightly better cameras and are supposed to have more RAM, but this also makes very little practical difference to a lot of users, as the differences will be subtle. Yet, a lot of people are going to find the form factor of the Xr the most manageable of the three (for a ton of people, that 6.1" screen is going be just perfect) and superior battery life is likely to seal the deal.
Last edited by aquaman on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Meanwhile, my iPhone 4S running on ios 7.1 (pre-battery-throttling) is humming along just fine for the $0 I paid for it (my old company gave it to me when I left because it was 4 years old at that time).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:16 am
No.
Hey, I tried! 8-)
There was a time that it would have been a true statement, but that was just about a decade ago at this point. The past two generations have been a Toyota Avalon with nicer trim. :mrgreen:
But isnt the Avalon just a Camry with nicer trim?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
bgf

Post by bgf »

Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:49 am
bgf wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 am

You're implying that he's just huckstering his product. I'm implying that's why he bought the product maker! ;)
it is 100% both. apple is a great company with one of the strongest consumer fan bases in the history of consumables. that doesn't mean i have to find "value" in their products. fortunately for apple, most people don't look for "value" when buying such items.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

I find all the hostility towards the newest iphone every year rather amusing. Nobody cares that BMW or Mercedes comes out with a new car every year or two with many unnecessary features. People still buy them.

Of course, a lot of the "new" stuff is gimmick and fluff, but the newest phones tend to have slightly better battery life, are a bit more responsive, have better screens and cameras, etc. It won't change your life, but each iteration is a nice little improvement if you spend a lot of time using your phone. Resale value is fairly strong for Apple products, so it tends to be easier to stay with the latest and greatest than for android phones.

As far as status symbols go, they make fairly poor ones. You'd need an eagle eye to tell the difference between an iphone X or Xr and an iphone Xs. Heck, even an old iphone 6 doesn't look much different from a few feet away.
Last edited by alfaspider on Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

SimonJester wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:29 am
lazydavid wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:16 am
No.
Hey, I tried! 8-)
But isnt the Avalon just a Camry with nicer trim?
No, the Avalon is a larger vehicle.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

wabbajack wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:20 am

I bought the iPhone X as well to replace my not even 1-year-old iPhone 7 and have been nothing but happy with it. Before you rush out and get the new bigger model, have you considered increasing the text size / scale on your iPhone X? I just read through the release of the iPhone XS, and it seems there really isn't much to justify upgrading from my current iPhone X. (Unless you really want that screen size, in which case your decision is already made)

As for all the Apple haters, let me put this in perspective for you. How many hours a day do you use your phone? How many different functions do you utilize? I used to be one of those people who said "I can get an Android phone that does 80% of the iPhone at 50% of the price" or something along those lines. And then I bought an iPhone in 2016 because Google discontinued the Nexus line of phones. Now I can't understand why it took me this long to use the iPhone. Except I do, and that was its price.

People get way too caught up about the price of the iPhone. Let me put it this way. Either it makes sense for you or it doesn't. If you use your phone (read: portable computer) for many different things like I do - thousands of pictures, global navigation, news aggregator, etc. - then $1000 is trivial.
I would get an X, but I had no inkling that Apple would completely shun it so quickly. I'm holding out for a refurb unit from Apple, or to see what the price drop will be at places like BB when the XS goes on sale. I feel sorry for the X, as I think it is a beautiful device.

I'm not a photographer so I don't know what "bokeh" is, but "advanced bokeh" sounds kinda silly from Apple. Also, that scene from the keynote with the three people standing around playing Galaga to show off the A12 chip just seemed...lonely. The basketball technique evaluation in real-time was pretty sweet, and a buddy of mine says the e-SIM thing will be a huge deal going forward.
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

SimonJester wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:29 am But isnt the Avalon just a Camry with nicer trim?
Nope, it's significantly larger.
wabbajack

Post by wabbajack »

alfaspider wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:34 am I find all the hostility towards the newest iphone every year rather amusing. Nobody cares that BMW or Mercedes comes out with a new car every year or two with many unnecessary features. People still buy them.
(...)
As far as status symbols go, they make fairly poor ones. You'd need an eagle eye to tell the difference between an iphone X or Xr and an iphone Xs. Heck, even an old iphone 6 doesn't look much different from a few feet away.
Actually, I'm active on some of the car threads here and there actually is that same hostility towards BMW or Mercedes. You'll notice, however, that the people who tend to complain about these things are never the same ones who would purchase them. There's probably a psychological term for it.

It's also the same thing with BMW or Mercedes as a status symbol. Almost no regular person knows the difference whether you got an AMG Mercedes with all the trimmings, or if you went for the barebones rental spec. But you'd garner about the same amount of attention/hate.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Texanbybirth wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:35 am
wabbajack wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:20 am

I would get an X, but I had no inkling that Apple would completely shun it so quickly. I'm holding out for a refurb unit from Apple, or to see what the price drop will be at places like BB when the XS goes on sale. I feel sorry for the X, as I think it is a beautiful device.

I'm not a photographer so I don't know what "bokeh" is, but "advanced bokeh" sounds kinda silly from Apple. Also, that scene from the keynote with the three people standing around playing Galaga to show off the A12 chip just seemed...lonely. The basketball technique evaluation in real-time was pretty sweet, and a buddy of mine says the e-SIM thing will be a huge deal going forward.
Apple pretty much "shuns" the new phone everytime a new one comes out. It used to be that they always just sold the old one at a discount, but now they tend to come out with a stripped down base model that is really the old model with a few tweaks. In this case, the Xr is a bit different because they are going with a cheaper LCD instead of OLED.

"Bokeh" sounds kind of silly, but it's just a name for the background blur effect you see in many professional portraits. The new phone supposedly does a better job of it when you shoot in portrait mode. I've used portrait mode on the X, and it really is impressive how good it can make photos from a hamfisted photographer such as myself. Wasn't too long ago that you needed to pay $1,000 for just a camera that would shoot as well as the iphone.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

theplayer11 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:36 pm I have the 6s and the SE has the same processor. There is nothing I can't do with my 6s that I would need an upgrade. If I had better eyes, the SE for $150 would be the way to go. I guess some people always need the newest model, maybe it makes them feel important or superior to those who choose not to waste their money.
That is a bit of a stretch. I would happily continue using my 6S Plus if I didn't get an acquisition offer to switch carriers to buy an X outright for $300 (after rebate). At that price, it made sense to bite the bullet and upgrade even though the 6S Plus met my needs.

Now that phone went to a family member to replace her 6 Plus and the 6 Plus was to be sold, but it is replacing another family member's phone that went for a swim. If I can get an offer for a new high-end iPhone for $300 again, I won't hesitate to jump on it event though I have no need to feel important or superior to others, and I won't feel like I'm wasting money as that is a good value to replace usable, but older phones.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

wabbajack wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:20 am Before you rush out and get the new bigger model, have you considered increasing the text size / scale on your iPhone X?

Did that. Meh. I still have to scroll left to right etc etc to read a whole page. Not the case with my old Plus. I cannot wait for an "EXCESS MAX" :)
knpstr

Post by knpstr »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:41 am
SimonJester wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:29 am But isnt the Avalon just a Camry with nicer trim?
Nope, it's significantly larger.
I guess size does matter? Just for some perspective:

The interior volume of a Avalon is 102.9 a Camry is 99.3 so
the Avalon is 3.6% larger on the inside.
Avalon is 2% longer and 0.5% wider. This is significant?

The XS Max screen size is 6.5" the X was 5.8" so XS Max is 12% larger. The XS Max is 18% larger than the 8 Plus at 5.5".
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius