Vanguard is requiring cell phone security codes - problem for international travel (UPDATE)

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
FOGU

Vanguard is requiring cell phone security codes - problem for international travel (UPDATE)

Post by FOGU »

Vanguard is requiring me to sign up for security codes to access my account. Right now it is only password protect.

I understand the new system will work by sending a code via cell phone text message whenever I try to log on to my account. I will then have 10 minutes to enter the code to access my account.

Reasonable security system, I guess. But here's the problem: the service only works for cell phone numbers based in the USA. I spend a lot of the year traveling outside the USA and use a foreign cell phone service when I do.

Anyone else have to navigate this issue relating to Vanguard security codes and account access abroad?

Thanks.

UPDATE FROM THE OP:

First, I really appreciate all the information and ideas in this thread.

I resolved the situation for myself with Google Voice, as many suggested. I have successfully enrolled in Vanguard's two factor authentication with text messages sent to the Google Voice number. I set Google Voice so texts go to email automatically. I tested the 2FA and it works fine. I also set it so that 2FA will only be required when Vanguard does not recognize the device used to access my accounts.

My only complication was that Google Voice does not allow sign up with a non-US IP address. Since I am currently abroad, and usually am abroad for much of the year, I subscribed to a VPN service which gives me a US IP address (or an IP address from one of dozens of other countries if I so choose). With that US IP address I was able to sign up for Google Voice.

In addition Google Voice requires a link to a US phone number so as to receive the initial security code for enrollment. For that I had to enlist the help of a family member which meant a two-minute phone call for him to read me the security code which went to his phone via text message. When next I can I will de-link his phone number from my Google Voice account and link my own.

The VPN service costs $3.99 a month (two-year plan paid up front) but I decided the security and other benefits added more than enough value to make it worth it (privacy, anonymity, data encryption, non-disclosure of location, access to US streaming services, etc.). Frankly I can't believe I went this long without using a VPN.

So I am squared away with Vanguard's 2FA for my situation. Thanks again to all who contributed to this thread.
Last edited by FOGU on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
federal dinosaur

Re: Vanguard is requiring cell phone security codes - problem for international travel

Post by federal dinosaur »

I am also not pleased to be required to give up my cell phone number to enjoy a higher security level for Vanguard accounts. I inquired to V/G to see if they could offer a user option whereby the V/G user could still view the status of any/all V/G accounts via the internet, ..... but the ability to actually manipulate/trade any fund$ would be inoperative per the user's selected option. A "view rights only" option that could be actuated by the user's profile selection.

It would seem easy enough to be able to do this & a view only option would be suitable for some V/G clients who rarely make changes. I actually prefer to accomplish any actions for my V/G accounts via phone call to V/G directly.
banhbao

Re: Vanguard is requiring cell phone security codes - problem for international travel

Post by banhbao »

There is an option to save the computer as a recognized device. Once complete you won't need to use the SMS code to log in using that device.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

banhbao wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:34 pm There is an option to save the computer as a recognized device. Once complete you won't need to use the SMS code to log in using that device.
Where did you find that ? Do you have to sign before you can choose that option. Also, how is the computer recognized ? I wouldn't like for it to be re-authenticated as soon as my plane lands.
banhbao

Post by banhbao »

Thesaints wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:36 pm
banhbao wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:34 pm There is an option to save the computer as a recognized device. Once complete you won't need to use the SMS code to log in using that device.
Where did you find that ? Do you have to sign before you can choose that option. Also, how is the computer recognized ? I wouldn't like for it to be re-authenticated as soon as my plane lands.
https://investornews.vanguard/sign-up-f ... -features/

When you enroll, you can choose to use a security code every time you log on to your account or only when Vanguard doesn’t recognize your computer or device.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

banhbao wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:41 pm When you enroll, you can choose to use a security code every time you log on to your account or only when Vanguard doesn’t recognize your computer or device.
Thanks. But when does my computer cease to be recognized ? If they use the IP address than it won't help. If they use a cookie instead I only have to remember not to wipe my browser clean.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

FOGU wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:55 pm Vanguard is requiring me to sign up for security codes to access my account. Right now it is only password protect.

I understand the new system will work by sending a code via cell phone text message whenever I try to log on to my account. I will then have 10 minutes to enter the code to access my account.

Reasonable security system, I guess. But here's the problem: the service only works for cell phone numbers based in the USA. I spend a lot of the year traveling outside the USA and use a foreign cell phone service when I do.

Anyone else have to navigate this issue relating to Vanguard security codes and account access abroad?

Thanks.
Unbelievable as it may be to some, not everyone has a cell phone.
banhbao

Post by banhbao »

Thesaints wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:44 pm
banhbao wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:41 pm When you enroll, you can choose to use a security code every time you log on to your account or only when Vanguard doesn’t recognize your computer or device.
Thanks. But when does my computer cease to be recognized ? If they use the IP address than it won't help. If they use a cookie instead I only have to remember not to wipe my browser clean.
Yeah, I can see how you might be concerned about that. Check out the link by sandburg, there was a user who set up a google voice number with VG and then set google voice to transfer incoming SMS to email. That should work, and you can test it at home before you travel overseas.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Perhaps just get a google voice account specifically for this purpose.
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

Vanguard now supports Yubikeys for 2FA. I suspect they will work just fine internationally and for those without cellphones.

For people who do not travel and do not have a cellphone, Vanguard will send security codes to a regular landline phone. Presumably US-based only.
siamond

Post by siamond »

Let me suggest you go all the way for better security, and use a Yubikey to secure access to your Vanguard account. I've been doing that for a while, and I find it very convenient. And this would work fine if you travel anywhere without a cell phone, as long as you keep your Yubikey on a keys ring or something like that.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Thank you all!
I had to google google voice, but it was easy to set up.
Still mad at Vanguard, tho...
Topic Author
FOGU

Post by FOGU »

Thesaints wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:01 pm Thank you all!
I considered a Skype phone number too, but that costs like $7 a month. Not worth it just for this.

Just so I have it clear, I would get a free Google Voice number, link my international number to it, and when Vanguard sends a text to the Google number it will be forwarded to my international number?

Thanks for all the responses.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

Better security inevitably comes with some inconvenience.

I think they've done a good job of avoiding that for most users.
Xyz214

Post by Xyz214 »

Register a Google voice number! It's free.
Topic Author
FOGU

Post by FOGU »

Xyz214 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:25 pm Register a Google voice number! This is what I do.
How do you receive the SMS messages from Vanguard with Google Voice?
MP123

Post by MP123 »

Xyz214 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:25 pm Register a Google voice number! It's free.
Yes. I just wish there was a better selection of area codes.
Topic Author
FOGU

Post by FOGU »

banhbao wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:41 pm
Thesaints wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:36 pm
https://investornews.vanguard/sign-up-f ... -features/

When you enroll, you can choose to use a security code every time you log on to your account or only when Vanguard doesn’t recognize your computer or device.
That was a helpful link. Thank you.
jcar

Post by jcar »

I spoke to my Flagship rep today about this issue. He did mention that a tablet could be recognized but he understands coming in via a foreign ISP may not be functional without the text code. This will require me to leave VG as I trade monthly and travel longer than that. I'm checking with ML tomorrow to determine if they have the same policy.
DorothyB

Post by DorothyB »

I have the same issue. In fact, I am posting this from Panama - where my US cell phone doesn't work.

The way I handle this is that I have a friend in the US. With her permission, I have given a few accounts her cell number as a secondary number. Note that some accounts (I think Vanguard was one of them) will send a verification code to this number when it is set up.

When I want to go look at these accounts, I coordinate w/ my friend in the US via e-m or messenger to pick a good time. Then I log in, have code sent to her cell instead of mine and she lets me know via messenger what the code is. As some codes expire in 10 minutes, we do that via messenger, not e-mail.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Steelersfan wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:20 pm Better security inevitably comes with some inconvenience.
"Security" against which risk ?
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

Vanguard *hates* all customers who live or travel abroad. If you're an American who uses their service and commit the sin of living abroad for a year or more, be sure and hide this from them. Especially if they manage accounts for you.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Use Google voice or Whatsapp or another broker.
3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters »

Some websites won’t accept google voice for 2FA. I’ve run into this but can’t recall exactly where now. If vanguard does, your problem is easily solved.

For all the complaints about vanguard web services, security and CS, I find them to be good to very good compared to other entities that I deal with. I suppose they could add an authenticator option for 2FA but other than that, not sure what’s to complain about. I use websites that have crazy restrictions like password can’t be more than 12 characters. Others limit special characters or how many numbers can be used. Others make me change my password regularly for seemingly no reason. I get the sense that they just create barriers for users and confuse them for security. On the whole though, everyone seems to be upping their game as they recognize that the default way of doing biz these days is online.
banhbao

Post by banhbao »

For those who travel overseas and have the problem of incoming SMS for two-factor verification:

You could try using a security key instead:
https://investor.vanguard.com/security/security-keys

It may be a good idea anyway if you are often using public wifi...

I don't have first-hand experience with this but maybe someone else could comment about their experience.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Terms and Conditions

• You understand that use of the Service may involve the transmission of information to you that may be considered personal financial information. You consent to the transmission of such personal financial information by electronic means. You assume all risk for directing Vanguard to send text messages or automated calls to mobile or other phones or other access devices that may not utilize personalized security codes or encryption. You understand that you are solely responsible for minimizing security risks, for example, by keeping your phone or other access device under your physical control.
In other words, if something messes up, you are solely responsible.
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

Dottie57 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:48 pm Unbelievable as it may be to some, not everyone has a cell phone.
You don’t need a cell phone, as there is also a voice-recording option to your home landline.
Topic Author
FOGU

Post by FOGU »

CyberBob wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:53 am
Dottie57 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:48 pm Unbelievable as it may be to some, not everyone has a cell phone.
You don’t need a cell phone, as there is also a voice-recording option to your home landline.
And if I am vacationing at the beach and not near my home landline?
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

FOGU wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:25 am
CyberBob wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:53 am
And if I am vacationing at the beach and not near my home landline?
Build a bonfire on the beach and use smoke signals.
GoldStar

Post by GoldStar »

FOGU wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:14 pm
I considered a Skype phone number too, but that costs like $7 a month. Not worth it just for this.

Just so I have it clear, I would get a free Google Voice number, link my international number to it, and when Vanguard sends a text to the Google number it will be forwarded to my international number?

"Google Voice" will run as an app on your smart phone. For texts, it will use your data connectivity so there is no need to forward to your international number. You just open the "google voice" app and will see the text message therein. (Presumably you would also leave alerts turned on for the app so you would be alerted to the text message within Google Voice and it will show up on your screen).
Its free - download it, pick a US number, and give it a try before your next international trip.
It might work a bit different for you than it does for me - works slightly differently on Apple versus Android and might also integrate with certain message-apps.
Investing.Newbie

Post by Investing.Newbie »

tuningfork wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:55 pm Vanguard now supports Yubikeys for 2FA. I suspect they will work just fine internationally and for those without cellphones.

For people who do not travel and do not have a cellphone, Vanguard will send security codes to a regular landline phone. Presumably US-based only.
Yubikey works only with Chrome in Vanguard. If you use a browser which desn't support it Vanguard sends a text to your phone.
Topic Author
FOGU

Post by FOGU »

GoldStar wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:36 am

"Google Voice" will run as an app on your smart phone. For texts, it will use your data connectivity so there is no need to forward to your international number. You just open the "google voice" app and will see the text message therein. (Presumably you would also leave alerts turned on for the app so you would be alerted to the text message within Google Voice and it will show up on your screen).
Its free - download it, pick a US number, and give it a try before your next international trip.
It might work a bit different for you than it does for me - works slightly differently on Apple versus Android and might also integrate with certain message-apps.
Thanks for this.
I am international right now so I am going to have to bother someone in the US to help me with this. Google Voice won't accept registration with a foreign ISP.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Investing.Newbie wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:38 am Yubikey works only with Chrome in Vanguard. If you use a browser which desn't support it Vanguard sends a text to your phone.
Good to know. I was about to make a $24 investment.
Vanguard really trying to make accessing our accounts difficult!
elderwise

Post by elderwise »

siamond wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:58 pm Let me suggest you go all the way for better security, and use a Yubikey to secure access to your Vanguard account. I've been doing that for a while, and I find it very convenient. And this would work fine if you travel anywhere without a cell phone, as long as you keep your Yubikey on a keys ring or something like that.
Can you briefly tell me how this works? I have read a lot about it, but not sure how it plugins in (meaning how it actually helps / works) and it works with gmail, google, and other things too?

This is that $40 key right?

Thanks!
elderwise

Post by elderwise »

FOGU wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:41 am
GoldStar wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:36 am

Thanks for this.
I am international right now so I am going to have to bother someone in the US to help me with this. Google Voice won't accept registration with a foreign ISP.
If your ex-US just use one of those free VPN providers to get a US IP - like Wind Scribe, since this is only for sign up dont worry too much about using a free VPN service because for some thats a concern ( as there is no such thing as free lunch but there are free VPN's )
siamond

Post by siamond »

elderwise wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:40 pm
siamond wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:58 pm Let me suggest you go all the way for better security, and use a Yubikey to secure access to your Vanguard account. I've been doing that for a while, and I find it very convenient. And this would work fine if you travel anywhere without a cell phone, as long as you keep your Yubikey on a keys ring or something like that.
Can you briefly tell me how this works? I have read a lot about it, but not sure how it plugins in (meaning how it actually helps / works) and it works with gmail, google, and other things too?

This is that $40 key right?
Yes, price sounds about right, I bought mine on Amazon (here is a picture of such a key, from the corresponding wikipedia article). When you log in, Vanguard displays an additional screen asking you to insert the Yubikey in a USB port and push on a button on the key, then some Web magic happens, and you're allowed into your account. This is essentially a 2-factors-authentication, but instead of using a smartphone as the 'second factor', you have to use the Yubikey. Personally, I feel much safer with it, my savings are absolutely critical to the rest of my life, and I don't want a hacker cracking my password to have a go at it.

Yes, the same key can be used to secure your gmail access, Dropbox access and a few other key accounts like that.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

There is a yubikey cheaper option at $20 on their website. $24 with shipping to CA and no sales taxes.
I'd consider it, but I'm not a Chrome user.
Wash.Invest

Post by Wash.Invest »

Yeah, I will have to leave Vanguard, as I don't have cell reception at any of my 3 usa homes, and I am overseas 50% + of the time.

They could have added the 'email code option' for the benefit of mobile / international customers.

Nice to have a few options, and it is ez to get locked out when you use different ISP and devices a few times / day.

Few of my device options share USB ports / connectivity. Especially my multi SIM International phone (Which I keep 'unlinked' from accounts and commerce.)
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I am completely bewildered by this entire thread. I log into Vanguard every evening to check the status of my portfolio, and I haven't had to use a cell phone security code in so long I can't remember. I spent 18 days in Europe in May and was able to log in from my iPad with no requirement to verify. Are posters talking about a new Vanguard policy that is being rolled out slowly across the customer base? Or is this a case where people go for long periods without logging in and have to reestablish their credentials with Vanguard?
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:53 pm I am completely bewildered by this entire thread. I log into Vanguard every evening to check the status of my portfolio, and I haven't had to use a cell phone security code in so long I can't remember. I spent 18 days in Europe in May and was able to log in from my iPad with no requirement to verify. Are posters talking about a new Vanguard policy that is being rolled out slowly across the customer base? Or is this a case where people go for long periods without logging in and have to reestablish their credentials with Vanguard?
Didn't you receive the email stating that 2FA will be mandatory starting September 26th ?
Topic Author
FOGU

Post by FOGU »

Thesaints wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:55 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:53 pm I am completely bewildered by this entire thread. I log into Vanguard every evening to check the status of my portfolio, and I haven't had to use a cell phone security code in so long I can't remember. I spent 18 days in Europe in May and was able to log in from my iPad with no requirement to verify. Are posters talking about a new Vanguard policy that is being rolled out slowly across the customer base? Or is this a case where people go for long periods without logging in and have to reestablish their credentials with Vanguard?
Didn't you receive the email stating that 2FA will be mandatory starting September 26th ?
That's right. I've been ignoring their prompts for as long as possible. Now they tell me it's either sign up for the security codes by Sept 26 or it's no access for me.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

It is indeed a problem.

I guess you can move your accounts to another brokerage.
Topic Author
FOGU

Post by FOGU »

HueyLD wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:05 pm It is indeed a problem.

I guess you can move your accounts to another brokerage.
I view that as a drastic last resort. I like the VPN with Google Voice work around. I'm hoping that will work.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

FOGU wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:52 pm
That's right. I've been ignoring their prompts for as long as possible. Now they tell me it's either sign up for the security codes by Sept 26 or it's no access for me.
Really don't understand the rush and the sloppy implementation. Even the smallest web bank out there has a better security interface.
AAA

Post by AAA »

tuningfork wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:55 pmVanguard now supports Yubikeys for 2FA.
I use VIP Access with Fidelity. How does that compare to Yubikeys and does Vanguard support it? I'd rather not have another device to take deal with.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I did not receive any such email. How long ago would it have been sent?
3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters »

I’m just not seeing the drama here.

— It’s good practice (essential, even) to implement 2FA on all important logins. I assume if you have money at vanguard, it’s an important login, right?

— While hacking your cell phone number and getting ownership transferred to intercept 2FA texts is possible, it requires social engineering and it’s not easy to do on a mass scale (as opposed to mass hacking of email accounts at the source). So arguably, SMS is a better method than email for 2FA—which is why vanguard probably chose not to allow 2FA via email.

— You can get a google voice number for free. No cell phone is needed. Use google voice app or log in to website to get the code. You can have google voice email the text message/code to you—thereby bypassing vanguard’s no codes via email restriction! You’ll probably find additional uses for your google voice number besides vanguard 2FA.

— You can use a physical key.

— You can receive your code via voice message sent to a land line.

— You can use a secondary number as a back up.

Yet, some consider it simpler to move their accounts and others think 2FA is solution in search of problem??????
catalina355

Post by catalina355 »

3-20Characters wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:28 pm I’m just not seeing the drama here.

— It’s good practice (essential, even) to implement 2FA on all important logins. I assume if you have money at vanguard, it’s an important login, right?

— While hacking your cell phone number and getting ownership transferred to intercept 2FA texts is possible, it requires social engineering and it’s not easy to do on a mass scale (as opposed to mass hacking of email accounts at the source). So arguably, SMS is a better method than email for 2FA—which is why vanguard probably chose not to allow 2FA via email.

— You can get a google voice number for free. No cell phone is needed. Use google voice app or log in to website to get the code. You can have google voice email the text message/code to you—thereby bypassing vanguard’s no codes via email restriction! You’ll probably find additional uses for your google voice number besides vanguard 2FA.

— You can use a physical key.

— You can receive your code via voice message sent to a land line.

— You can use a secondary number as a back up.

Yet, some consider it simpler to move their accounts and others think 2FA is solution in search of problem??????
Very well put!
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

Thesaints wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:44 pm
Vanguard never recognizes my computer when I log in
After the log in they instantly and automatically call my home line and that works fine for me
I conduct all my financial stuff on my desk top
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone