How should I clean up and diversify my retirement investments?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
CalculatedRisk

How should I clean up and diversify my retirement investments?

Post by CalculatedRisk » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:18 pm

Emergency funds: Have six months of expenses
Debt: $6k student loan (2% interest), $30k business loan (variable, currently 6% interest)
Tax Filing Status: Single
Tax Rate: 35% Federal, 11.3% State
State of Residence: CA
Annual income: $500k/year
Desired Asset allocation: 90% stocks / 10% bonds
Desired International allocation: 35% of stocks

Funds for first home down payment (want to buy within 1 year)
~$400k in cash in savings accounts

Current retirement assets - Total is about $600k
Taxable - 48%
4% - Vanguard Target Retirement 2050 - Vanguard (VFIFX) (expense ratio 0.15%)
7% - SPDR S&P 500 - (SPY) (expense ratio 0.09%)
15% - US Individual Stocks (a few of the stocks have $2k total of STCL, most stocks with large LTCG)
7% - ESPP US individual stock (vested, no longer at company, significant gains)
15% - Cash for investing (not including emergency funds)

401k at Schwab - 21%
21% - Vanguard Target Retirement 2045 (expense ratio 0.08)
No longer at the company

401k at Fidelity - 10%
10% - Vanguard Target Retirement 2045 (expense ratio 0.08)
No longer at the company

401k at Wells Fargo - 3%
3% - T. Rowe Price Retirement 2045 (expense ratio 0.43)

Roth IRA - 16%
6% - US Individual Stocks (not allowed to sell, invested in ~3 large cap companies)
6% - US Individual Stocks (allowed to sell, invested in ~10 large cap companies)
3% - US Individual Stocks (allowed to sell, invested in ~4 small cap companies)
1% - SPDR S&P 500 - (SPY) (expense ratio 0.09%)
(recently contributed via backdoor Roth IRA)

HSA Account - 2%
2% - Cash (not invested - concerned about tracking basis for California taxes)
Funding at $3,450/year, no employer match.

Contributions
New annual Contributions
401k at Wells Fargo - Funding at $18.5k/year, no employer match.
Profit Sharing Plan (tax advantaged) - Funding at $35k/year starting end of this year.
Taxable - $50k/year (for retirement, not short-term goals) - prefer to invest $2k every 2 weeks, but can do lump sums if better.

Available funds
401k at Wells Fargo
Vanguard Small-Cap Index Fund; Admiral Shares (VSMAX) (expense ratio 0.04)
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund; Institutional Shares (VTSNX) (expense ratio 0.09)
Metropolitan West Total Return Bond I Class I Shares (MWTIX) (expense ratio 0.44)
Vanguard Short-Term Bond Index Fund; Institutional Class Shares (VBITX) (expense ratio 0.05)
T. Rowe Price Institutional Retirement 2045 (expense ratio 0.43)
+more

HSA Account
Metropolitan West Total Return Bond (MWTRX) (expense ratio ??)
Vanguard Long-Term Bond Index (VBLTX) (expense ratio 0.15)
American Funds 2045 TRGT Retire (RFHTX) (expense ratio ??)
Vanguard Small Cap Index Fund (VSMAX) (expense ratio .06)
+more

General Notes
  • I prefer to move away from individual stocks and towards Target Retirement Date funds. Index/mutual funds work, too.
  • While I prefer Target Retirement date funds, I am willing (and able) to buy (and rebalance yearly) index funds at Vanguard (or Fidelity) to offset individual stocks that I can’t/shouldn’t sell (e.g., due to SEC rules/significant gains).
Questions:
  1. Is it reasonable to sell my $2k capital losses from the taxable account at the end of this year (2018) for ordinary income deduction before selling stocks to rebalance taxable accounts next year (e.g., Jan 2019)?
  2. My portfolio is not diversified. How should I rebalance?
  3. Assuming I need to buy bond index funds to offset risk when rebalancing, in which account (taxable, Roth, 401k) should I buy them? I also appreciate suggestions on which bond index funds to buy.
  4. Is it “worth” investing the funds in the HSA account? My understanding is that California requires taxes to be paid on gains, thus basis must be tracked. My HSA provider does not track any basis/events.
Thanks in advance! I can provide any requested clarifications.

CyclingDuo

Re: How should I clean up and diversify my retirement investments?

Post by CyclingDuo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:26 pm

CalculatedRisk wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:18 pm

Debt: $6k student loan (2% interest), $30k business loan (variable, currently 6% interest)

Why not close out the debt to be done with it at your income level?
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

CalculatedRisk

Post by CalculatedRisk » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:59 pm

CyclingDuo wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:26 pm
CalculatedRisk wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:18 pm

Why not close out the debt to be done with it at your income level?
Interest rates for the loans are relatively low. I plan to purchase a home soon, so I rather put that same money towards the home.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:08 pm

CalculatedRisk, welcome to the forum.
CalculatedRisk wrote:Debt: $6k student loan (2% interest), $30k business loan (variable, currently 6% interest)
<snip>
I realize you are saving for the home, but 6% is high in this market.
<snip>
10% bonds is aggressive at your age. I'd be 25% to 30% bonds.
Desired International allocation: 35% of stocks
This is reasonable.
Taxable - 48%
4% - Vanguard Target Retirement 2050 - Vanguard (VFIFX) (expense ratio 0.15%)
This fund does not belong in taxable.
Roth IRA - 16%
6% - US Individual Stocks (not allowed to sell, invested in ~3 large cap companies)
Why are you not allowed to sell these?
Profit Sharing Plan (tax advantaged) - Funding at $35k/year starting end of this year.
What are the options in this plan? Are they the same as the 401k options?
401k at Wells Fargo
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund; Institutional Shares (VTSNX) (expense ratio 0.09)
Metropolitan West Total Return Bond I Class I Shares (MWTIX) (expense ratio 0.44)
Vanguard Short-Term Bond Index Fund; Institutional Class Shares (VBITX) (expense ratio 0.05)
+more
Do you have a large cap fund like a 500 Index fund here? Will this current 401k allow incoming rollovers from your two old 401k plans?
I prefer to move away from individual stocks and towards Target Retirement Date funds. Index/mutual funds work, too.
That's fine in tax-sheltered accounts, but target-date funds are not suitable for taxable accounts. And since you have a large and growing taxable account you're probably better off in individual funds in the tax-sheltered accounts also.
Is it reasonable to sell my $2k capital losses from the taxable account at the end of this year (2018) for ordinary income deduction before selling stocks to rebalance taxable accounts next year (e.g., Jan 2019)?
It's reasonable.
My portfolio is not diversified. How should I rebalance?
In order to answer that question we need to know what the options are in all three 401k plans. We need the fund names, ticker symbols if available, and especially the plan expense ratios.
Assuming I need to buy bond index funds to offset risk when rebalancing, in which account (taxable, Roth, 401k) should I buy them? I also appreciate suggestions on which bond index funds to buy.
The best place for bonds is a pre-tax tax-sheltered account, meaning your 401k and profit sharing plans.
Is it “worth” investing the funds in the HSA account? My understanding is that California requires taxes to be paid on gains, thus basis must be tracked. My HSA provider does not track any basis/events.
Will you be using your HSA for current medical expenses or are you planning to pay expenses out of outside cash and save the HSA for retirement? Either way I'd keep a decent amount of the HSA in bonds/cash because if you need it, you want it there, and stocks can crash at the most inopportune time.

CalculatedRisk

Post by CalculatedRisk » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:59 pm

Duckie wrote: CalculatedRisk, welcome to the forum.
CalculatedRisk wrote:Debt: $6k student loan (2% interest), $30k business loan (variable, currently 6% interest)
<snip>
I realize you are saving for the home, but 6% is high in this market.
6% interest is a business expense, which I can deduct. With a near 50% combined fed+state tax rate, it comes out to about 3%. Am I misunderstanding?
Duckie wrote:
<snip>
10% bonds is aggressive at your age. I'd be 25% to 30% bonds.
I'm comfortable with the risk associated with only 10% in bonds.
Duckie wrote:
Roth IRA - 16%
Why are you not allowed to sell these?
Others at my company potentially have access to insider information. Company policy requires no trading on those stocks.
Duckie wrote:
What are the options in this plan? Are they the same as the 401k options?
I haven't contributed yet and I don't have access to details about the funds.
Duckie wrote:
401k at Wells Fargo
+more
Do you have a large cap fund like a 500 Index fund here? Will this current 401k allow incoming rollovers from your two old 401k plans?
This fund is available, which tracks the S&P 500:
Vanguard Institutional Index Fund; Institutional Shares (VINIX) (expense ratio 0.04)

Yes, this 401k will allow rollover from the other 401k plans. The reason I have not rolled over is because:
1. The other plans have low expense ratios (old employer still pays the fees)
2. One of the accounts includes both Roth 401k and Traditional 401k funds. I'm worried the basis information will be lost during the rollover. Is this an unreasonable concern?
Duckie wrote:
I prefer to move away from individual stocks and towards Target Retirement Date funds. Index/mutual funds work, too.
That's fine in tax-sheltered accounts, but target-date funds are not suitable for taxable accounts. And since you have a large and growing taxable account you're probably better off in individual funds in the tax-sheltered accounts also.
Got it. I'm willing to manage individual funds.
Duckie wrote:
My portfolio is not diversified. How should I rebalance?
In order to answer that question we need to know what the options are in all three 401k plans. We need the fund names, ticker symbols if available, and especially the plan expense ratios.
Funds available at 401k accounts:
401k at Wells Fargo
Wells Fargo Stable Return Fund N (Money Marker) (expense ratio 0.42)
Vanguard Short-Term Bond Index Fund (VBITX) (expense ratio 0.05)
American Balanced Fund; Class R5 Shares (RLBFX) (expense ratio 0.33)
Principal Funds, Inc: Diversified Real Asset Fund (PDRDX) (expense ratio 0.)
Artisan Mid Cap Growth Trust Tier 1 (expense ratio 0.85)
Columbia Contrarian Core 1 (expense ratio 0.41)
Vanguard Institutional Index Fund (VINIX) (expense ratio 0.04)
Vanguard PRIMECAP Fund (VPMAX) (expense ratio 0.32)
DFA Investment Dimensions Group Inc: Emerging Markets Value Portfolio (DFEVX) (expense ratio 0.57)

401k at Schwab - No longer at the company
Large Company:
Vanguard Target Retirement Trust (expense ratio 0.08)
PRIMECAP Odyssey Growth Fund POGRX (expense ratio 0.67)
Schwab S&P 500 Index Fund SWPPX (expense ratio 0.03)

Small/Mid Co:
Schwab Small Cap Index Fund SWSSX (expense ratio 0.05)
Vanguard Mid-Cap Index Fund VMCIX (expense ratio 0.04)
Vanguard Mid-Cap Value Index Fund VMVAX (expense ratio 0.07)
Vanguard Mid-Cap Value Index Fund VMVAX (expense ratio 0.07)
American Funds New Perspective Fund® Class R-6 RNPGX (expense ratio 0.45)

Intl/Global:
Dodge & Cox International Stock Fund DODFX (expense ratio 0.63)
T. Rowe Price International Discovery Fund I Class TIDDX (expense ratio 1.07)
Vanguard International Growth Fund Admiral Shares VWILX (expense ratio 0.32)
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Institutional Shares VTSNX (expense ratio 0.09)

Bonds:
PIMCO Income Fund Institutional Class PIMIX (expense ratio 0.74)
Schwab Institutional Core Plus Fixed Income Trust Fund (expense ratio 0.35)
Vanguard Short-Term Inflation-Protected Securities Index Fund VTSPX (expense ratio 0.04)

401k at Fidelity - No longer at the company
Stocks:
FID CONTRAFUND K (FCNKX) (expense ratio 0.65)
FID OTC K (FOCKX) (expense ratio 0.70)
VANG INST 500 IDX TR (expense ratio 0.014) <- So low!
VANG WINDSOR II ADM (VWNAX) (expense ratio 0.26)
FID LOW PRICED STK K (FLPKX) (expense ratio 0.58)
VANG MD CP IDX IS PL (VMCPX) (expense ratio 0.03)
ABF SM CAP VAL INST (AVFIX) (expense ratio 0.83)
VANG EXPLORER ADM (VEXRX) (expense ratio 0.32)
AF CAP WORLD G&I R6 (RWIGX) (expense ratio 0.45)

Blended:
VANGUARD TARGET 2045 (expense ratio 0.06)

Bonds:
FIDELITY GOVT INCOME (FGOVX) (expense ratio 0.45)
TCW/MW TOT RTN CIT (0.3)

Short Term:
VANG VMMR-FED MMKT (VMFXX) (expense ratio 0.11)
Duckie wrote:
Is it “worth” investing the funds in the HSA account? My understanding is that California requires taxes to be paid on gains, thus basis must be tracked. My HSA provider does not track any basis/events.
Will you be using your HSA for current medical expenses or are you planning to pay expenses out of outside cash and save the HSA for retirement? Either way I'd keep a decent amount of the HSA in bonds/cash because if you need it, you want it there, and stocks can crash at the most inopportune time.
I'm planning to keep the HSA for retirement

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:04 pm

CalculatedRisk wrote:6% interest is a business expense, which I can deduct. With a near 50% combined fed+state tax rate, it comes out to about 3%. Am I misunderstanding?
I'm not a fan of debt but if after deductions it's only 3%, I can see why you keep it.
Yes, this 401k will allow rollover from the other 401k plans. The reason I have not rolled over is because:
<snip>
One of the accounts includes both Roth 401k and Traditional 401k funds. I'm worried the basis information will be lost during the rollover. Is this an unreasonable concern?
That's not a problem. When you eventually roll this over the pre-tax portion will go either to a Traditional employer plan or Traditional IRA and the Roth portion will go to a Roth IRA. Or by "basis" do you mean you have some after-tax (not Roth) in the Traditional 401k? Which account has the Roth?
401k at Wells Fargo
The best/cheapest options are:
  • Vanguard Institutional Index VINIX (0.04) -- Large caps, 80% of US stocks
  • Vanguard Small-Cap Index VSMAX (0.04) -- Small caps, 14% of US stocks
  • Vanguard Total International Stock Index VTSNX (0.09) -- Complete international stocks
  • Vanguard Short-Term Bond Index VBITX (0.05) -- US short-term bonds
  • Metropolitan West Total Return Bond MWTIX (0.44) -- US bonds
  • Wells Fargo Stable Return -- Stable value fund, depends on current interest rate
  • or the Vanguard Target Retirement Trust (0.08) that comes closest to your AA
If you don't roll the other two 401k plans into this account I'd use just international here for now. What is the current rate for the stable value fund?
  • Schwab S&P 500 Index SWPPX (0.03) -- Large caps, 80% of US stocks
  • Vanguard Mid-Cap Index VMCIX (0.04) -- Mid caps, 6% of US stocks
  • Schwab Small Cap Index SWSSX (0.05) -- Small caps, 14% of US stocks
  • Vanguard Total International Stock Index VTSNX (0.09) -- Complete international stocks
  • Vanguard Short-Term Inflation-Protected Securities Index VTSPX (0.04) -- TIPS
  • Schwab Institutional Core Plus Fixed Income Trust (0.35) -- US bonds
If you keep this account at Schwab I'd use 10% for bonds and the other 11% in international. If you invest in bonds in your HSA then that would reduce the bonds here.
  • VANG INST 500 IDX (0.014) -- Large caps, 80% of US stocks
  • VANG MD CP IDX IS PL VMCPX (0.03) -- Mid caps, 6% of US stocks
  • or VANGUARD TARGET 2045 (0.06)
If you keep this account at Fidelity, since it is only 10% of your retirement portfolio I'd have just 500 Index here.
In your three employer plans you don't have the best options in bonds. What are the bond options in the HSA?

Where is the Roth IRA held? What custodian? I'd sell everything you could in that account and buy a total US stock index fund there.

In your taxable account you need to make sure all automatic reinvestment is turned off. Don't buy anything you already own. Get rid of the target-date fund as soon as you can. That 15% cash can be used to buy most of the leftover international AA. Which fund depends on the brokerage. And which brokerage is it?

CalculatedRisk

Post by CalculatedRisk » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:56 pm

Duckie wrote:
<snip>
One of the accounts includes both Roth 401k and Traditional 401k funds. I'm worried the basis information will be lost during the rollover. Is this an unreasonable concern?
That's not a problem. When you eventually roll this over the pre-tax portion will go either to a Traditional employer plan or Traditional IRA and the Roth portion will go to a Roth IRA. Or by "basis" do you mean you have some after-tax (not Roth) in the Traditional 401k? Which account has the Roth?
My old 401k has pre-tax funds and Roth 401k funds. I checked with my old 401k and new 401k. Old 401k requires I transfer all or nothing. New 401k does not accept Roth 401k funds, but said it can be rolled into a Roth IRA.
Duckie wrote:
401k at Wells Fargo
  • Vanguard Institutional Index VINIX (0.04) -- Large caps, 80% of US stocks
  • Vanguard Small-Cap Index VSMAX (0.04) -- Small caps, 14% of US stocks
  • Vanguard Short-Term Bond Index VBITX (0.05) -- US short-term bonds
  • Metropolitan West Total Return Bond MWTIX (0.44) -- US bonds
  • Wells Fargo Stable Return -- Stable value fund, depends on current interest rate
  • or the Vanguard Target Retirement Trust (0.08) that comes closest to your AA
If you don't roll the other two 401k plans into this account I'd use just international here for now. What is the current rate for the stable value fund?
Not sure what the current rate for the stable value fund is. The rate appears to fluctuate. In 2016, it averaged 1.72%. In 2017, it averaged 1.85%.
Duckie wrote:
  • Schwab S&P 500 Index SWPPX (0.03) -- Large caps, 80% of US stocks
  • Vanguard Mid-Cap Index VMCIX (0.04) -- Mid caps, 6% of US stocks
  • Schwab Small Cap Index SWSSX (0.05) -- Small caps, 14% of US stocks
  • Vanguard Short-Term Inflation-Protected Securities Index VTSPX (0.04) -- TIPS
  • Schwab Institutional Core Plus Fixed Income Trust (0.35) -- US bonds
If you keep this account at Schwab I'd use 10% for bonds and the other 11% in international. If you invest in bonds in your HSA then that would reduce the bonds here.
Okay.
Duckie wrote:
  • VANG INST 500 IDX (0.014) -- Large caps, 80% of US stocks
  • VANG MD CP IDX IS PL VMCPX (0.03) -- Mid caps, 6% of US stocks
  • or VANGUARD TARGET 2045 (0.06)
If you keep this account at Fidelity, since it is only 10% of your retirement portfolio I'd have just 500 Index here.
Okay.
Duckie wrote:
In your three employer plans you don't have the best options in bonds. What are the bond options in the HSA?
I don't want to hold bonds in the HSA because California taxes it. In fact, I'm considering not investing the HSA if it will be a headache for CA tax purposes, which it seems like it will be.
Duckie wrote: Where is the Roth IRA held? What custodian? I'd sell everything you could in that account and buy a total US stock index fund there.
Roth IRA is held at ETrade.
Duckie wrote: In your taxable account you need to make sure all automatic reinvestment is turned off. Don't buy anything you already own. Get rid of the target-date fund as soon as you can. That 15% cash can be used to buy most of the leftover international AA. Which fund depends on the brokerage. And which brokerage is it?
There are 2 taxable accounts: Most funds are at Etrade, but the "4% - Vanguard Target Retirement 2050" is at Vanguard. Automatic reinvestment is not on. What does "AA" stand for in "International AA"?

Thanks for all your feedback!

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:26 pm

CalculatedRisk wrote:My old 401k has pre-tax funds and Roth 401k funds. I checked with my old 401k and new 401k. Old 401k requires I transfer all or nothing. New 401k does not accept Roth 401k funds, but said it can be rolled into a Roth IRA.
In that case, if you do want to roll it out, find out if the old 401k (Schwab or Fidelity?) can split the recipients. Meaning can the old 401k transfer the pre-tax portion to your current 401k at Wells Fargo and the Roth portion to your Roth IRA at E*Trade? Or must it all go to one custodian? If it must all go to one custodian find out if the Wells Fargo 401k allows incoming rollovers from IRAs.
Not sure what the current rate for the stable value fund is. The rate appears to fluctuate. In 2016, it averaged 1.72%. In 2017, it averaged 1.85%.
That's not worth it.
What does "AA" stand for in "International AA"?
You have a desired AA of 90% stocks, 10% bonds, with 35% of stocks in international. That breaks down to 59% US stocks, 31% international stocks, and 10% bonds. That means your international AA is 31%. If you put 11% international in the old Schwab 401k you could put up to 20% international in taxable. You only have 15% cash available for investing but you could sell the Vanguard target-date fund to get 4% closer.

You have decent options in the current Wells Fargo 401k plan. I'd roll the two old plans over to the current plan (except the Roth portion) if possible.

Since your Roth IRA is at E*Trade you can buy (SWTSX) Schwab Total Stock Market Index with no transaction fee.