Hurricane Florence - survival guide

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
il0kin

Re: Hurricane Florence - survival guide

Post by il0kin » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:10 am

+1 to kill the power at the main if either the house starts flooding or if you’re leaving and believe your house may flood. It is usually at the top of the breaker box. Quick way to die on re-entry into flooded basements etc

2cents2

Post by 2cents2 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:54 am

jebmke wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:13 pm

I didn't read each post closely but I didn't see anyone mention filling up your car(s). If you have to ditch, you may not be able to find gas as easily.
This is good advice. I was wondering if anyone might know of an AP that shows up to date availability of gasoline?

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:53 pm

smitcat wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:25 am
FWIW - after hurricane Sandy much of the natural gas lines were either down or tainted with water for a week or more. We can run dual fuel but typically stay with gasoline as it is within our control and easily planned.
Ugh. And here I was thinking I had power loss covered. The problem with gasoline, of course, is getting it if the outage is long enough, refilling the generator at all hours, etc.

How did the natural gas lines get damaged or water infiltrated? I would assume pipes underground were rather sheltered?

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:05 pm

mouses wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:53 pm

How did the natural gas lines get damaged or water infiltrated? I would assume pipes underground were rather sheltered?
I was curious about that too. I found this info at the Dept of Energy website:

"Following Hurricane Irene, two local distribution companies—Orange & Rockland (O&R) in New
York and PECO in southeastern Pennsylvania—reported natural gas shut-offs to customers due
to flooding. O&R reported that 500 of its gas customers were shut off as a precautionary
measure due to extensive flooding, and PECO reported that it shut off 1,204 of its gas
customers at various locations due to flooding.

Following Hurricane Sandy, New Jersey Natural Gas (NJNG) shut down part of its natural gas
infrastructure serving Ocean and Monmouth counties including Long Beach Island and the
barrier islands from Bay Head to Seaside Park. As part of the shutdown, NJNG vented gas from
its distribution pipelines, allowing water to infiltrate the pipes. The damage caused by the water
was severe enough that some portions of the distribution system needed to be completely
rebuilt. The shut-downs affected approximately 32,000 of NJNG’s customers.
21 As of early January 2013, more than 8,000 NJNG customers remained without service."

https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files ... 41513b.pdf

queso

Post by queso » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:09 pm

I think it depends on where you live. In my area the probability of a natural gas interruption isn't worth insuring against so my whole house generator is NG only even though it is dual fuel capable and I could have buried a propane tank as a backup. If I lived in New Orleans I'd probably have a backup fuel source or two. :happy

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:16 pm

I guess we have set up our home and lives such that we don't need power to survive. I don't have to pay for a generator nor its gas nor its maintenance . I realize many people cannot do that, but it is something else to consider.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:16 pm

mouses wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:53 pm
smitcat wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:25 am
FWIW - after hurricane Sandy much of the natural gas lines were either down or tainted with water for a week or more. We can run dual fuel but typically stay with gasoline as it is within our control and easily planned.
Ugh. And here I was thinking I had power loss covered. The problem with gasoline, of course, is getting it if the outage is long enough, refilling the generator at all hours, etc.

The natural gas lines stay dry because they are continually pressurized and dried with pumps that are in many locations to maintain a specific pressure.
Once those pumps and driers go down the water infiltration begins and eventually any water will accumulate at low points and then be 'blown' thru the system.
During hurricane Sandy many folks found out that these pumping stations operate on electricity that was cut off - even safety valves are triggered off when electric is turned off.
Similarly many folks found out that cell phones do not work when the larger area cell towers are not powered.
FWIW - our inverter genset runs the night + on a fill. We have enough gas in cans to get about 7 days of continuous use or maybe 10+ days of 'on and off' usage. After that the gas in our boat (store in driveway) would be enough for about 2 weeks. Practically spekaing outgages that would appear to be lasting more than a week would have us leaving the area with our Plan "B".

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:17 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:16 pm
I guess we have set up our home and lives such that we don't need power to survive. I don't have to pay for a generator nor its gas nor its maintenance . I realize many people cannot do that, but it is something else to consider.
We do not need power to survive.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:18 pm

queso wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:09 pm
I think it depends on where you live. In my area the probability of a natural gas interruption isn't worth insuring against so my whole house generator is NG only even though it is dual fuel capable and I could have buried a propane tank as a backup. If I lived in New Orleans I'd probably have a backup fuel source or two. :happy
Where do you live that Natural gas is assured in any case?

queso

Post by queso » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:27 pm

smitcat wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:18 pm
queso wrote:
It's not "assured in any case" it's just that an outage is highly unlikely. We don't really get tornadoes, hurricanes or earthquakes here or, when we do, they are extremely minor. I've never lost NG service in the 22 years I have lived here so when the time came to decide if I wanted to buy a giant propane tank and bury it in my yard to protect against an NG outage I decided against it. That being said, I do have a gasoline portable that was my primary generator before we bought the whole house generator. I still have that and can use that in a pinch. I probably have 10 gallons of gas in cans plus another 50+ across 5 vehicles if I wanted to get creative and stretch the portable out over a multiday outage.

pahkcah

Post by pahkcah » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:31 pm

Gas Buddy has a tracker app. You can see what stations have gas here: https://business.gasbuddy.com/gasbuddy- ... -florence/

Stay safe everyone.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:40 pm

wilshuer wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:25 pm
Maybe one thing to add for the generator comments - a chain and lock to keep it from walking off.

It tended to be a problem in our vicinity during Harvey and previously during Ike. People would go around at night looking for generators, it was pretty obvious who had them and who didn't merely due to the sound.

Granted someone can always cut the lock and/or chain, but makes it a little harder so they'll move onto the next one - they want a grab-and-go target.
+1 for getting a generator. I was in Typhoon Harurot and we had no power for twenty days. Also +1 for stocking up on water. Food was easy to come by, but water wasn't.

latesaver

Post by latesaver » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:45 pm

Don't open your fridge or freezer if you don't absolutely have to. it stays cold a surprisingly long time.

make extra food (rice/pasta) while you can.

make preparations for animals - your pets need food and water to survive as well.

if, like me during Irma, you are lucky enough to still have power the next day, open your house to your neighbors. i had folks stashing meds, food, etc. in my fridge, had people over for dinner, brought coffee mugs to the park to share with those who weren't so lucky, etc.

if you have to go outside to let the pets out, wear a bike helmet or something else similar.

i believe dishwashers are a surprisingly good place to stash valuables or photos that you don't want to get wet. maybe an urban myth but that's what i was told.

you don't need 400 D batteries. be reasonable and considerate of others waiting in line.

if you ever say "i THINK my car can drive through that much water", turn around and find another route. it isn't worth the risk.

charge up any portable chargers while you can.

try to stay calm, and do stay safe. this too shall pass.

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:48 pm

All great suggestions above.

Fill plastic containers with water and place in any empty spaces inside freezer.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:32 pm

queso wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:27 pm
smitcat wrote:
queso wrote:
It's not "assured in any case" it's just that an outage is highly unlikely. We don't really get tornadoes, hurricanes or earthquakes here or, when we do, they are extremely minor. I've never lost NG service in the 22 years I have lived here so when the time came to decide if I wanted to buy a giant propane tank and bury it in my yard to protect against an NG outage I decided against it. That being said, I do have a gasoline portable that was my primary generator before we bought the whole house generator. I still have that and can use that in a pinch. I probably have 10 gallons of gas in cans plus another 50+ across 5 vehicles if I wanted to get creative and stretch the portable out over a multiday outage.
Interesting mix of your location here....
"We don't really get tornadoes, hurricanes or earthquakes here or, when we do, they are extremely minor. I've never lost NG service in the 22 years"
And...
"That being said, I do have a gasoline portable that was my primary generator before we bought the whole house generator."

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:40 pm

latesaver wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:45 pm

if you ever say "i THINK my car can drive through that much water", turn around and find another route. it isn't worth the risk.

try to stay calm, and do stay safe. this too shall pass.
I always wondered why this was and then I saw a clip somewhere that showed the air pressure in your tires actual offsets most of the weight of your car and in a situation where the water is moving you only need a small depth of water to float you away.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:41 pm

smitcat wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:17 pm
livesoft wrote:
I included all power: solar, electricity, batteries, gasoline, natural gas, propane, what have you.

Some headlamps and power banks to give them a charge every few days is nice I will admit. But I should be long gone from the disaster area if I expect difficulties like that.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:50 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:41 pm
smitcat wrote:
livesoft wrote:

You may not "need" power to simply "survive" in a tent outside you your roofless house. In a less extream situation, with simply no electricity and you have a family or babies to care for, trees fallen over your driveway and front door, aged and ill parents 20 miles away that have not prepared properly, and job that requires you be there once winds drop below 35mph your life and family will be much better with some power.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:57 pm

Make sure your prescriptions/medications are filled up enough to last a while.

Stay safe out there.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:00 pm

Blueskies123 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:50 pm
You may not "need" power to simply "survive" in a tent outside you your roofless house. In a less extream situation, with simply no electricity and you have a family or babies to care for, trees fallen over your driveway and front door, aged and ill parents 20 miles away that have not prepared properly, and job that requires you be there once winds drop below 35mph your life and family will be much better with some power.
I would not be a in a roofless house nor in a tent. I have plenty of friends that I can help if they are in trouble and I have plenty of friends that I can help if me if I am in trouble.

Here's a story I told about Sandy:
viewtopic.php?p=3556535#p3556535
Last edited by livesoft on Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:00 pm

This thread is helpful and interesting but I would also encourage anyone in an evacuation zone to get out of Dodge. My parents are enjoying a nice little vacation at their friends' home in the NC mountains while the outer rings of Florence barrel towards their home. The island they live on is closing this afternoon to everyone including emergency vehicles, the power will be off by tomorrow night.

Keep up your insurance, buy hurricane shutters, bring your important papers and jewelry with you, and if they tell you to go...go. It's just a house.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:03 pm

Isabelle77 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:00 pm
This thread is helpful and interesting but I would also encourage anyone in an evacuation zone to get out of Dodge. My parents are enjoying a nice little vacation at their friends' home in the NC mountains while the outer rings of Florence barrel towards their home. The island they live on is closing this afternoon to everyone including emergency vehicles, the power will be off by tomorrow night.

Keep up your insurance, buy hurricane shutters, bring your important papers and jewelry with you, and if they tell you to go...go. It's just a house.
Very sensible advice. Thanks for posting.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:10 pm

I do need power to survive in the depths of summer. I would not last long with no AC with temps in the nineties. Perhaps that is age dependent. In winter one could burn wood or etc., if you don't have asthma, which both the cat and I do, although I have the idea there are wood or whatever burning stoves with pollution controls built in.

If I were a lot younger, I would build a house with many safety items built in, I suppose that includes where it is located. The latter is hard to do with constraints about family, work, etc.
Last edited by mouses on Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

queso

Post by queso » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:12 pm

smitcat wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:32 pm
queso wrote:
smitcat wrote:
queso wrote:
"We don't really get tornadoes, hurricanes or earthquakes here or, when we do, they are extremely minor. I've never lost NG service in the 22 years"
And...
"That being said, I do have a gasoline portable that was my primary generator before we bought the whole house generator."
Even if I didn't have the gasoline portable I wouldn't back up my NG generator with propane. I just don't feel the risk is high enough/probable enough to insure against it since I don't live in an area that sees major impact from potential NG disrupting events and I haven't had an NG outage in 22 years. I could have done propane as my primary fuel source and skipped NG altogether, but, like I said, my experience with NG has been good and I think it is a much simpler, cheaper and "bottomless" fuel source compared to propane.
Last edited by queso on Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:13 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:03 pm
Isabelle77 wrote:

Very sensible advice. Thanks for posting.
I could not agree more.

Best of luck to everyone dealing with this.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:17 pm

livesoft wrote:
smitcat wrote:
livesoft wrote:
I included all power: solar, electricity, batteries, gasoline, natural gas, propane, what have you.

Some headlamps and power banks to give them a charge every few days is nice I will admit. But I should be long gone from the disaster area if I expect difficulties like that.
Yup - dont need any power to survive either, but the portable gensets are a real convenience ....
- for business uses
- for tailgates at kids games
- for camping
- for tailgates at pro games
- for remote power away and at home
- for boating
- for outdoor concerts
And when we need it - for power outtages.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:22 pm

Blueskies123 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:50 pm
livesoft wrote:
smitcat wrote:
livesoft wrote:

Yes good points - with our genset we have helped neighbors and friends do some of these. during power outages….
- charge cell phones and computers for communications
- charge CPAP batteries
- replenish O2 concentrator
- and use the hot shower in a few cases

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:26 pm

queso wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:12 pm
smitcat wrote:
queso wrote:
smitcat wrote:
queso wrote:
And...
Even if I didn't have the gasoline portable I wouldn't back up my NG generator with propane. I just don't feel the risk is high enough/probable enough to insure against it since I don't live in an area that sees major impact from potential NG disrupting events and I haven't had an NG outage in 22 years. I could have done propane as my primary fuel source and skipped NG altogether, but, like I said, my experience with NG has been good and I think it is a much simpler, cheaper and "bottomless" fuel source compared to propane.
My thoughts were that it was interesting that you say there are no natural disasters in your area (tornado, Hurr, etc) but you are backed up for the electirc supply times 2.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:27 pm

After living through some grass fires in Texas that came within 100 meters of our house I now keep all important papers in a single accordian folder in the safe so I can grab and go without thought. Also EVERY important document has been scanned and stored in DropBox so I can access from anywhere if necessary.

Water should be the easiest issue. There are lots of good filtration solutions available so you don't need to store up endless quantities of drinking water. I keep a lifestraw in my backpack. They have a number of good products for household emergency filtration use: https://www.lifestraw.com/ If I was living in a hurricane zone I would get a gravity feed countertop water filtration system designed to be used with 5 gallon carboys and then load up on extra 5 gallon plastic carboys. My parents were missionaries in northern Brazil for a few years and this sort of system was their main water source in the kitchen. That way you can gather water from anywhere and filter it at home.

A Jump-N-Carry jump starter backup battery will charge your phone or other devices about 20x or more so you can probably go weeks on one of these without power: https://www.amazon.com/Clore-Automotive ... 000JFJLP6/

Best backup/work light I have found is this one from Harbor Freight which is a rechargeable USB work light with a strong magnet base so you can stick it any where. I keep a few in my garage: https://www.harborfreight.com/390-lumen ... 63958.html people on professional tool forums who wouldn't normally shop at Harbor Freight rave about these. Great for working under your car or tight places where you can stick the light on something metal. But also as a good backup emergency light to sit on a table or counter.

Extra propane cylinders for your grill. You can cook pretty much everything on a gas grill and use the burner to cook pots or boil water. You don't need a sideburner for that, you can set a pot right on the grill grates in a pinch.

Chain saw if you know how to use one. Trees will be down everywhere.

il0kin

Post by il0kin » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:29 pm

A good tip for people evacuating is to freeze a cup of water and set a quarter on top once it’s frozen. If when you come back and the power is on, and the coin has sunken down, you know your food thawed and is not safe to eat. (Assuming the power comes back on before you get back)

queso

Post by queso » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:29 pm

smitcat wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:26 pm
queso wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:12 pm
smitcat wrote:
queso wrote:
smitcat wrote:

And...
My thoughts were that it was interesting that you say there are no natural disasters in your area (tornado, Hurr, etc) but you are backed up for the electirc supply times 2.
Ah, now I understand. :happy We don't have a lot of disasters, but we live on a dead end street with only about 20-30 houses (so not high on the list for restoration crews), old trees and above ground powerlines. We've had several multi-day outages over the years so we did get annoyed enough with those that the generator made it onto the priority list. That and a frozen pipe burst one winter when we were away causing a bunch of damage.

latesaver

Post by latesaver » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:57 pm

il0kin wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:29 pm
A good tip for people evacuating is to freeze a cup of water and set a quarter on top once it’s frozen. If when you come back and the power is on, and the coin has sunken down, you know your food thawed and is not safe to eat. (Assuming the power comes back on before you get back)
forgot about this one, good tip.

another one - fill your freezers with bottles of water. a packed freezer stays cold a lot longer than an empty one, and you'll have cold drinkable water when it melts if you don't evacuate.

also, as someone else posted, the most important thing that Gov Rick Scott drilled into our heads pre-Irma..."you can replace your homes but not your lives".

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:32 pm

Forgot to mention.

If you decide to stay put in a flood zone, make sure you own an axe (better yet a fire axe) so you can chop through your roof when the flood waters rise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-WfiGoLqLU

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:34 pm

Isabelle77 wrote:

It is great that your parents are well away from the coast. Please note that the areas of some of those mountains (Boone, Banner Elk, Ashville etc) are very susceptible to landslides and flash floods as they are on the 'lift' side of these storms. In those locations it is often a problem when you get 1-2" of rain in a shorter period of time and there is a potential for 500% to 800% of those numbers. I would suggest they know/learn the potential flash areas and slide potentials and make sure they are well outside those potential zones.
Good luck and be safe

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:00 am

I just thought I'd be a downer here, and post that apparently the major problem with Florence is the giant amount of rain, almost unbelievable, like 2 feet in places, due to the warmer atmosphere holding more water until it doesn't. I remember reading that one of the southwest(?) storms, was it Harvey? did the same thing, worst storm in recorded history for rainfall.

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

DorothyB

Post by DorothyB » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:18 am

Yes, it was Harvey that dumped record amounts of rain.

Not sure that the cause has anything to do w/ global warming.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:31 pm

I removed an off-topic comment and several posts related to global warming (see: Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics).

Please stay focused on surviving Florence.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

dowse

Post by dowse » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:16 pm

If you are a ham radio operator, get your gear ready and batteries charged. If you know a ham radio operator, know how to find him when communications go down. If you want to become one, it's not hard to get a basic technician level license (for the next time). Ham radio networks are one of the last remaining communications methods that continue to operate when everything else, including the cell phone networks, have failed.